Today at the New York Comic Con, Hasbro held a panel dedicated to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic! Unfortunately, there was no airdate for Season 3 like many expected. However, we have some on-the-scene details on our forum! Forum member PictishBeast was on the scene for us. We also had on-site reporting by new member Kaitou as well. Since some of these constitute spoilers, they’ll only be listed behind the cut. You’ve been warned!
Attending the panel was Hub Vice President Mike Vogel, Executive Director Brian Leonard, show director Jayson Thiessen, and lead story editor Meghan McCarthy. A new clip from season 3 was aired, as well as a Q&A session.
WARNING! Possible spoilers ahead. Proceed at your own caution!
Notable pieces include:
- An official soundtrack release strongly hinted.
- A return visit to Manehattan strongly hinted.
- “Hasbro loves ponies, a shortened season is no indicator of the future.”
- Both season 3 songs we’ve seen so far (Crystal Ponies, Failure Song) are from episode one.
- Meghan all but confirmed an upcoming episode that explores the ancient Celestia/Luna conflict.
- The villain from the Crystal Empire episodes is named King Sombra. [Editor’s note: Originally, it was transcribed as King Somber. However, we’ve gotten word that the actual spelling is Sombra.]
- Team all but confirmed the return of Discord (not just DeLancie). DeLancie has lots of unused lines from previously that will probably be in the DVD bonus features.
- Meghan used to use the term pegacorn, but after seeing what fans were using, all the writers now use alicorn instead. Jayson says the fact that alicorns have only been seen in positions of power is definitely by design.
- Jayson and Meghan were just speculating for the following points but Jayson said he’d really like to visit the griffon kingdom in an upcoming ep, and Meghan said she’d like to see “Luna’s abandoned moon colony.”
- Jayson called Star Swirl the Bearded the Merlin of Equestria, but it didn’t sound like they had any immediate plans to do anything with him.
- Meghan and Jayson take the world building very seriously. They helped put together that map but intentionally didn’t make it a globe so they’d have lots of future freedom to explore. They said the worldbuilding is there to reward multiple viewings. It’s never going to be a serialized show, and each episode has to stand on its own, Meghan pointed out the Grand Galloping Gala as an early example of doing callbacks and expanding on the show’s universe.
- Meghan studied mythology in college and researches myths from many cultures, not just Greece. She says they were going to use a mythological creature at one point and rejected it because it had “human elements” (I’m guessing centaur?)
- Jayson says they try to keep pony technology limited, with even the filmstrip projector chosen because it’s not modern. Meghan joked we’d never see Twilight tweeting. Jayson later had to shrug his shoulders about the night-vision goggles seen in the clip.
- Hasbro execs were sitting in the audience (right in front of PictishBeast) and Mike Vogel kept looking over at them when answering questions and they would give imperceptible nods. Pictish felt like Mike was disappointed at not giving a S3 release date.
- Meghan said she really wants to explore how the monarchy works in an upcoming episode. Not as a joke answer either, she really seemed history-nerd about it. Maybe this will be the Celestia/Luna ep.
- Hoofed mammals can talk, other animals generally can’t. (Exception for dragons, etc). This came from Lauren early in development. Hoofed mammals are the “people” of Equestria.
- As a joke, Mike/Brian said that season 12 would feature Spike and Rarity as a couple, following the passage of the “Pony-Dragon Marriage Act.”