General gaming superthread

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Re: General gaming superthread

Post by Madeline (?) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:20 am

I got Dracula X Chronicles on its launch day, and I bought SOTN by itself on PS1, 360, and PS3. I also have a second copy of Rondo thanks to Virtual Console (rip).

...I would still buy them again if they got ported to Switch or Steam, even if they weren’t part of a larger collection. :-I But not having a PS4 helps me avoid at least one redundant purchase! It does mean I don’t get to play Spider-Man, but them’s the breaks

Edit: what a horrible night to have a page snype

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:22 am

Konami truly are the masters of :effort:
Image /// Image /// Image

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:30 am

I've been playing Slay the Spire for the past week or so and it's pretty much the perfect game for me. Turn-based strategy with some fantasy/rpg elements, excellent replayability, and while it can be difficult at times, it's not stifling to the point of making me feel frustrated or cheated.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:33 am

Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:45 pm

I got Fallout 4 recently. It's fun except for the part where I can't get past the first town because it crashes after like 2 minutes and disables all buttons on my computer until I reboot it every time, so instead I'm playing Fallout 3 again :-I
ImageImageImageImage

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:02 pm

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:45 pm
I got Fallout 4 recently. It's fun except for the part where I can't get past the first town because it crashes after like 2 minutes and disables all buttons on my computer until I reboot it every time, so instead I'm playing Fallout 3 again :-I
Bethesda! :party:

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:50 pm

Perrydotto wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:22 am
Konami truly are the masters of :effort:
Yes. Yes they are. Here’s the Giant Bomb quick look:

tl;dw: The sound emulation is really bad, and even as somebody who usually isn’t picky about emulation stuff, something looks off about the aspect ratio. Like the moon is oval instead of round in the SOTN intro. But it functions and it doesn’t look laggy or have a lot of slowdown. Oh, and they’re using the redubbed German intro from the PSP in Rondo instead of the original German intro. Also, they may have removed the playable Maria mode from SOTN. Nobody knows yet!

If somebody doesn’t have a PS 1, an Xbox 360, an Xbone, a PS3, or a PSP, but does have a PS4, go for it I guess? They’re classics for a reason. Otherwise, pass. :pinkieshrug: I way prefer the original 1997 SOTN dub myself.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:33 pm

Someone read every single book in Skyrim and posted his top 5.

It's incredibly entertaining and now I want to go back and read those 5.

The Ghost of Ember
don't you feel so scared sometimes?

Post by The Ghost of Ember (?) » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:44 pm

Glad Palla made the list
RIP Syndrome wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:56 pm
this universe is cursed

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:42 am

I couldn't even get halfway through that video, he seems to just hate books?? like holy moly stop telling me how much you hated having to read books in school why did you do this project if you hate books
ImageImageImageImage

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:51 am

Ha ha, jokes on all of you, I'm illiterate.
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:01 pm

You aren't and it's just a lame joke tbh

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:01 pm

that being said I didn't read most of those books in Morrowind either, not because I hated reading but because most of them weren't particularly interesting IMO

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:41 pm

Perrydotto wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:01 pm
You aren't and it's just a lame joke tbh
Are we talking about lame jokes? Because this just got announced, and boy howdy:

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:36 am

So this is just going to keep happening, huh? He just keeps getting more games, each one less crappy than the last, as a big middle finger from the powers that be to the more deserving game franchises out there that still can't catch a break.

Somebody freaking buy the rights to, like, Mayhem in Monsterland or something so we can restore balance to the universe.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:49 am

i mean, it's probably pretty cheap for the rights holding company to go "hey, make exactly the same game you did before, but with bubsy" and make enough sales due to the memes and/or hate buys, so yeah

i'm actually surprised they seem to be referencing bubsy 2 and the animated pilot with the other characters

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:49 am

and here I thought the first game didn't sell well enough to warrant this

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:01 am

Perrydotto wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:49 am
another reminder that we live in the worst timeline

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:03 pm

WHAT COULD PAWSIBLY GO WRONG

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:27 am

In less depressing but equally-bonkers news, there is now a Half-Life mod where you can play as everyone's favorite purple dragon.

:tada:

...Spyro.

:whyme:

Animation seems to have been recreated perfectly, although I find the lack of Sparx disturbing. They even got the one scientist to address him by name, using what I can only assume was some very fancy technology. Very silly idea, but given what a popular engine GoldSrc is for modding even now, I could see this becoming a jumping-off point for more faithful fan games.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:15 am

Perrydotto wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:49 am
goonier sorts never fail to underestimate their influence on the things they draw attention to, as if mock value is somehow not a legitimate value that can actually ripple through word-of-mouth and inspire purchasing decisions

and i wager there are a lot of curious sorts (like me) who will sometimes choose a game with a poor "enjoyability forecast" over a good one simply to dissect it if not mock it. i have no other excuse for owning the first two FF13 games and Dissidia NT which all looked pretty terrible to me beforehand, and still do

Highbrow Dash
But why would you post such a thing?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:47 pm

Jill wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:15 am
goonier sorts never fail to underestimate their influence on the things they draw attention to, as if mock value is somehow not a legitimate value that can actually ripple through word-of-mouth and inspire purchasing decisions
Or inspire people to watch some dumb horse show just to find out what's up with it. Surely adults aren't seriously watching this, right?

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:35 pm

Jill wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:15 am
To say nothing of streamers and Let's Play channels. Either because they manage to convince their viewers to buy the games "ironically" or just because everybody and their dog now thinks they're destined to become the next JackSepticEye and that playing the latest meme game is the way to do it.

Dal
Praise the Sun
Celestia's Champions

Post by Dal (?) » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:31 am

Bungie is giving away the Destiny 2 base game. You have until the 18th to pick it up!
Undecided wrote:Every time you write a story I cant help but sigh, because I know Im gong to lose another man card.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:13 pm

I recently got OneShot and WanderSong and they're both extremely good games, and I'm amazed I took so long to play OneShot since it's right up my alley. For some reason, I was certain it was a metroidvania instead of an RPG when I saw it on the store page when it was released and so I was like "Ehh I don't wanna play a metroidvania" :v:
ImageImageImageImage

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:53 am

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:13 pm
I recently got OneShot and WanderSong and they're both extremely good games, and I'm amazed I took so long to play OneShot since it's right up my alley. For some reason, I was certain it was a metroidvania instead of an RPG when I saw it on the store page when it was released and so I was like "Ehh I don't wanna play a metroidvania" :v:
Let me know if WanderSong continues to be good. I want to branch out and play some different genres when I can get new games again someday, and I thought the gameplay looked clever and fun.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:03 am

I finished Wandersong already and yes it is good
ImageImageImageImage

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:02 am

Fallout 76 is even more of a mess than expected!
Welcome to 5 reasons not to use an engine that you made entirely open and provided all the tools needed to mod that engine in an online game. Oh and how to entirely not secure anything for your users.

I am as much a Fallout and Bethesda fan as everyone else, I've sunk around 4000 hours into Fallout4 and have been making mods for about 2 years. So when I got into the PC Beta and it allowed me to download the client and files, I started playing with them.

Number 1: There are no server checks to verify models or file integrity. Want to make trees smaller, or player models bright colors to see them easier? Go right ahead, here are the tools to do it!

Number 2: Terrain and invisible walls/collision is client side! Want to walk through walls? Open up that beautiful .esm file and edit it. The server doesn't care or check!

Number 3: Want to save money on server hardware and make ping a little more manageable? Go ahead and open up client to client communication but don't encrypt it or obfuscate it in anyway. Open up Wireshark while playing and nab anyone's IP you want! Send packets to the server to auto use consumables, all very nicely and in plain text! Even get health info and player location, why waste time injecting the executable and getting nabbed by anti-cheat when you can get all info from the network!

Number 4: Want to grief people and be a God? Go ahead and keep looping the packet captured in Wireshark reporting you gave full HP. Why would the server care about something as little and not game breaking like this?!?! It's a great idea to let the client tell the server it's state and the server not check anything it's being told! The possibilities with this are endless and probably able to just give yourself items by telling the server you picked it up!

Number 5: Someone in your game being mean? Again have Wireshark? Well let's just forge a packet with the disconnect command in it and knock them offline!

In conclusion: Bethesda should not have just made Fallout76 by throwing mods on it from Nexus and sold it as a new game. Have fun in the wasteland gamers.

Edit: To those crying "lies" and wanting "proof" here ya go the first cheat mod uploaded to Nexus. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout76/mods/24

Oh wait, it's just lock picking that's still locked behind a card skill/requirement to do higher level locks. However this proves several things: No clientside file checks, and the majority of mechanics are clientside and the server just listens to the client.

Final Edit:

https://m.ign.com/articles/2018/11/05/f ... nerability

Bethesda responds, are investigating issues and fixing them. Claims some of my claims are invalid but why would they be fixing things if they weren't true? Thanks to everyone who participated in the awareness, maybe some things will be fixed. However I am sad to say that some things will not be fixed in time for launch. Have fun in the wasteland.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:09 am

And to think, we thought Nintendo was the most clueless at online gaming.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:32 pm

This wasn't an issue for Elder Scrolls Online, was it? Surely that was running on more or less the same engine.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:40 pm

Pocket wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:32 pm
This wasn't an issue for Elder Scrolls Online, was it? Surely that was running on more or less the same engine.
They licensed the Star Wars: The Old Republic engine (HeroEngine) and then heavily modified it or wrote something similar to replace it.

Why they didn't do that here is anyone's guess.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:50 pm

Presumably a case of wanting more control, or trying to "future-proof" Gamebryo/Creation.

The thing for me is that Bethesda will probably ban anyone for modding (outside of downloading Bethesda approved mods?), but there's going to be at least one quest that breaks and needs the console to fix.
(But I'm sure someone will port the whole map into Fallout 4 by the end of the first few weeks)

Angel Beat
~ Space, the final frontier. ~
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Angel Beat (?) » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:38 pm

Pocket wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:32 pm
Then again, ESO is made by Zenimax and published by Bethesda.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:42 pm

I finally beat the fourth boss in Enter the Gungeon. There's not even an achievement for it. I think it's finally dawning on me how hardcore this game really is. 72 hours of gameplay, cleared the first boss over 50 times, cleared the second boss 29 times, and not only have I just now made it past the fourth level, the game doesn't even think it's a significant milestone. Compare this to Isaac, where every other level clear is an achievement, as is beating all four of the bosses that can show up in that pair.

The worst part, though, is that I came up just two coins short of having enough to unlock the elevator shortcut to the third floor. And that was after not spending any of it, not using any of my keys, and getting the item that gives you free coins when you flip tables.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:58 pm

Today I discovered that I still do, in fact, have a PS Vita. :-I Most of my games are long gone, though.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:12 pm

Monolith (the Western one, not the Xenoblade one) are streaming themselves playing the No One Lives Forever games and giving out stories about their development right now, if anyone is looking for a fun bit of nostalgia.

https://twitch.tv/monolithlive

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:02 am

Don’t worry, they’re going to patch it

:-I

drunkill
me @ ur posting
Patreon supporter

Post by drunkill (?) » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:45 pm

Red Dead Redemption 2 is great.

Just riding around the countryside on my horse, saying howdy to strangers and hunting animals and buying all the clothes in town.

11/10.

A nice slow pace, very unlike their GTA games.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:49 pm

On one hand, RDR2 lives up to that open world ideal of having tons of hand-crafted encounters that are cool and interesting and funny.

On the other hand, pretty much any time I get ambushed by anyone or any animal, I die in ten seconds and lose any pelts I spent hours hunting for.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:14 am

Apparently Fallout 76 doesn't let you uninstall the beta unless you buy the game - though I'm sure nuking it from the file system still works.

Spyro is pretty good! I'm about 70-ish% of the way through Spyro 1 (Dream Weavers, all levels up to this point 100%-ed with the optional achievement task, though I will need to go back for some of the skill points). Tree Tops is still frustrating, and I miss some features from the sequels (particularly the glide hover), but I'm glad for the ones they did backport to Spyro 1.

The achievements are interesting to me for the reason that while there are some that you would only find using the achievement list (e.g. flame all the fairies holding arrows in the flight levels), others are things you do need to do for 100% (e.g. find all the gems in a boss level) - and yet they're still flagged as rare achievements. It might just be because people haven't had chance to play much past Toasty yet.