General gaming superthread

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Re: General gaming superthread

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:46 pm

Venusy wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:14 am
The achievements are interesting to me for the reason that while there are some that you would only find using the achievement list (e.g. flame all the fairies holding arrows in the flight levels), others are things you do need to do for 100% (e.g. find all the gems in a boss level) - and yet they're still flagged as rare achievements. It might just be because people haven't had chance to play much past Toasty yet.
A lot of people barely touch games they buy.

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:45 pm

2/3 of Subnautica owners don’t know the joy of building a base. :fluttersmith:

Hey, I purchased Prey forever ago and I’m finally getting around to it, it’s pretty cool. It’s scratching my Half-Life-Bioshock itch. Somehow I’d come to expect it was a horror game, but it really isn’t so far.

For horror I have Darkwood, which is survival/crafting courtesy of Eastern Europe, so, pretty heavy on the dark and surreal.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:03 am

I’ve made the important discovery that the best way to avoid dying in Rondo of Blood is to not to jump into a random pit looking for an alternate path

theGECK
People don't "become an adult", they just get too old to be called a kid
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by theGECK (?) » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:18 am

Frostpunk?

Frostpunk.

I'm addicted to this game right now!

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:49 pm

:starity: Civilization VI got ported to the Switch, apparently.

If I ever get a copy of that, there goes my productivity forever

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:36 pm

The prospect of Civilization on the toilet is a truly tempting one.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:11 pm

Just check if the port is good. With games that big and potentially taxing, I'd look first. I heard the Cities Skylines port had some serious lag issues on release (no idea if it's been fixed). I really enjoy Civ VI and would love it on the Switch, so personally I'm hoping it's a decent port!
Image /// Image /// Image

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:18 pm

i came across this really great LoZ fangame yesterday where you play as both Link and Zelda in a hybridized Z1/Z2 world

all i'm gonna say is that it is extremely inspired and well put-together, especially for something that uses the Zelda Classic engine. you can download it here, but you'll need to familiarize yourself a bit with Zelda Classic to get it running

here's a summary of how i'd do it:
  1. download ZC 2.50.2, the PoC quest file, and the author's support package which contains things like the intended music files, the game manual, etc.
  2. extract the Zelda Classic folder wherever you like, then extract the .qst file and the contenets of "LaZPoC Enhanced Music" to it (ZC doesn't really use subfolders so you should end up with a mess of files in the same directory)
  3. run the ZC launcher (zlaunch-w.exe on windows) and change the settings to your liking. i personally run the game windowed at 1280x960, as the default resolution is too small for a 1080p display
  4. click Launch ZC and press ESC after the splash screen ends, then go into Settings -> Controls and configure the keyboard/controller bindings to your liking. this specific game uses all four EX buttons like so: EX1 is used as a shortcut for Roc's Feather once you have it, EX2 is used to switch between Link/Zelda, EX3 is used to toggle auto-attack for the character you're not in control of, and EX4 is used to separate/reunite the two characters
  5. with your controls set up, return to the game with ESC, register a file name, then put the cursor on the fresh file and press A twice for the prompt to load a custom quest. press start from there and you're set to start playing

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:15 pm

Perrydotto wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:11 pm
Just check if the port is good. With games that big and potentially taxing, I'd look first. I heard the Cities Skylines port had some serious lag issues on release (no idea if it's been fixed). I really enjoy Civ VI and would love it on the Switch, so personally I'm hoping it's a decent port!
It’s a moot point since I can’t buy any games for the foreseeable future anyway. But if it is a good port, that would be great, since my busted-ass PC can’t even run Civ V. :-I

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:58 am

Perrydotto wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:11 pm
There's an oddly low amount of reviews for the Switch version (probably because of everything else coming out this month), but according to IGN, it can chug a little in docked mode, and AI turns might take a little longer than they do on PC, but both of those are relatively minor. (Online multiplayer is missing if that's important to you though).

Skylines chugs a bit on PS4 and Xbone as the city gets more complex (even with the enhanced models, the CPU in both is still pretty weak compared to modern PCs - and Skylines needs CPU for all that simulation work), so it's not too surprising the Switch version would be at a bigger disadvantage.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:39 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:36 pm
The prospect of Civilization on the toilet is a truly tempting one.
Are you ever coming out of the bathroom? You've been in there for AGES! :amazing:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:34 pm

Jill wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:18 pm
i came across this really great LoZ fangame yesterday where you play as both Link and Zelda in a hybridized Z1/Z2 world

all i'm gonna say is that it is extremely inspired and well put-together, especially for something that uses the Zelda Classic engine. you can download it here, but you'll need to familiarize yourself a bit with Zelda Classic to get it running

here's a summary of how i'd do it:
  1. download ZC 2.50.2, the PoC quest file, and the author's support package which contains things like the intended music files, the game manual, etc.
  2. extract the Zelda Classic folder wherever you like, then extract the .qst file and the contenets of "LaZPoC Enhanced Music" to it (ZC doesn't really use subfolders so you should end up with a mess of files in the same directory)
  3. run the ZC launcher (zlaunch-w.exe on windows) and change the settings to your liking. i personally run the game windowed at 1280x960, as the default resolution is too small for a 1080p display
  4. click Launch ZC and press ESC after the splash screen ends, then go into Settings -> Controls and configure the keyboard/controller bindings to your liking. this specific game uses all four EX buttons like so: EX1 is used as a shortcut for Roc's Feather once you have it, EX2 is used to switch between Link/Zelda, EX3 is used to toggle auto-attack for the character you're not in control of, and EX4 is used to separate/reunite the two characters
  5. with your controls set up, return to the game with ESC, register a file name, then put the cursor on the fresh file and press A twice for the prompt to load a custom quest. press start from there and you're set to start playing
I remember Panoply of Calatia, I didn't realize it came out! I'll have to go play it. I've been slowing going through the Ballad of a Bloodline series because the dungeon design in those games is so fun, despite how the lore is uh... doctor wily and jenova from final fantasy 7 doing stuff in hyrule??
ImageImageImageImage

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:08 am

Madeline wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:15 pm
It’s a moot point since I can’t buy any games for the foreseeable future anyway. But if it is a good port, that would be great, since my busted-ass PC can’t even run Civ V. :-I
I did some digging and found the Switch port is missing the first expansion pack and will soon be missing the second expansion as well. Civ games are always better after two expansions, so unless 2K and Aspyr actually do end up bringing them over (and it wouldn't be unreasonable for both expansions to get ported at once, considering that this just came out a couple weeks ago), I'll skip it on the Switch.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:49 am

Oh well, guess I’ll just keep playing Civ 4 :-I

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:50 am

Fireworks over Mars, as a colonist stays up late to celebrate the birth of the 500th citizen.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:01 pm

Madeline wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:49 am
Oh well, guess I’ll just keep playing Civ 4 :-I
Probably still my favorite Civ ever, but combat improved a TON in 5. No more clicking 10,000 times for big battles.
ImageImageImageImageImage

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:48 pm

Can confirm, highly accurate. :-I

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:35 pm

It's the most accurate take on humanity as a whole, really.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:23 pm

Switch-havers, now through Monday there's some good deals on the eShop. 20% off Super Mario Odyssey, Celeste, and Dead Cells, 33% off Diablo 3 and Into the Breach, and half off Bethesda's titles (you know, in case Todd Howard hasn't gotten you to buy enough copies of Skyrim already), to name a few.

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:24 pm

oh boy, i should get skyrim again :scootawoo:

Jill
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:31 am

please get all of the above except diablo 3 and anything bethesda makes

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:45 pm

Let me know if there's another place to post this or if this is against the rules, but I have an extra sealed copy of Warioware Gold for 3DS that I could sell back to Amazon, but I'd rather sell to someone here if anyone is interested.
ImageImageImage Very math.

RudeCyrus
nightmare eyes
Rainbow Racers
Patreon supporter

Post by RudeCyrus (?) » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:15 pm

Goddamn, RDR2 is a beautiful game.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:14 pm

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:55 am

Welp. Finally got my first win in CS:GO's Danger Zone mode. Not a bad way to ring in the new year.

Might have been my second if I hadn't forgotten that grabbing an ammo refill doesn't reload the gun.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:00 am

Just Cause 4 is... not great, and I can tell why - they looked at the mixed reviews of Just Cause 3, and then course corrected way too hard. The exploration and traversal mechanics are still great, but the core gameplay loop of going into a town or base, destroying all the red/white objects to take it over, repeat until you captured a whole region of the map... that got repetitive in JC3 sure, but the replacement for all of that in JC4 is "once you've levelled up enough and maybe done a mission in that region, highlight it on the map and press the A button".

JC3 locked far too much behind the upgrade system (including the ability to hold LT to aim, for example), and they were locked behind challenges that were difficult without having the upgrades to start with. JC4's only upgrades are to the grappling hook and to the weapons/vehicles you can have dropped to your location - and are mostly unlocked through challenges that seem more tedious than anything else (e.g. "find this specific model of car somewhere in the game world and drive it through this ring to unlock that car").

Angel Beat
~ Space, the final frontier. ~
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Angel Beat (?) » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:43 pm

That's a big shame, I was really looking forward to JC4. :fluttersmith:
I'll get it later at a discount then just to have fun with the sandbody bits.
New signature pending.

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:46 am

lately, i've been playing a really interesting shmup that came out last year, called ZeroRanger

it's a vertically scrolling arcade shooter where you control a lone fighter that's the last line of defense for the planet after the evil alien entity GREEN ORANGE invades and takes control of the planetary defense force. it's up to you break through the invading armada and strike back at GREEN ORANGE and save the world!

On the surface, this is your standard arcade shooter fare, albiet, a very well done version of that. It's full of nods and references to games from all over the genre, it starts rather light on bullet patterns, slowly ramping up in difficulty as you progress, and while it starts with zero continues, it lets you earn a stack of continues with your scores, so as you continue to play and game over, you'll gain more and more continues to work with before you have to start over again. The game also lets you continue from any stage you've reached, so for example, if you make it from stage 1 to stage 3 before getting a game over, you can start on any of those three stages instead of having to start from stage 1 every time. Each of the four stages are really fun with great music and while it gives a really good challenge, it's not bullet hell levels of nonsense.

But outside of that, this game does some really interesting things. Finding a truly unique shmup that is willing to break convention is exceedingly rare, given how as far as the arcade shmup genre is is rather solidified. Instead of just being a Good One Of These, it genuinely becomes something special, and I'm really hesitant to spoil this game at all.

Unfortunately, as much as I'd love to recommend this to everyone, this sort of game is not for everyone. As much as I think it's forgiving and encouraging for someone to play, it's still a vertical arcade shooter, with all the difficulty and bullet dodging that comes with it. If you are the sort dislikes arcade shooters, bullet hell or not, this game will not change your mind. It can get pretty difficult as you get further into the game, and you may find yourself butting your head against it until you get your winning run, much like any shmup. So if you're not into this sort of game, then you probably won't have much fun with it.

However, if you're a fan of the genre, then this game is absolutely worth your time. I've been playing it off and on, slowly making progress as I get better with everything the game throws at me and I'm having a blast working towards fighting the game's true final boss. Just flat out: if you're interested in this game, don't look up any spoilers. Just play it. This game is something truly special, and I highly recommend it.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:51 am

I just discovered this interview Ars Technica did with Lucas Pope (creator of Papers, Please and Return of the Obra Dinn). It's quite extensive; he talks about his whole career, his motivations in making games, and his experiences at studios as big as Naughty Dog. Well worth reading.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:07 pm

Wargroove, Chucklefish's spiritual successor to Advance Wars, is almost here. It drops on PC, Switch, and Xbone February 1.

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:23 pm

A friend got me an invite to the Anthem demo and I've kind of been low-key hoping that game would be good so I wanted to give it a try and it didn't make a great first impression. There's a lot of serious technical issues in the demo, the flying is not intuitive on a mouse + keyboard setup (it was pretty frustrating until I figured out I had to aim in the direction I wanted to turn and then specifically move my cursor back down to neutral so I didn't veer off wildly), and the starting suit they give you is the boring soldier one so you're just kind of shooting at things and throwing grenades and it's like "yeah ok this is a video game."

Once they let me pick a second suit to play around with though I went straight for the Interceptor and the game came alive. All of a sudden I was fast and my abilities were doing a bunch of damage and I had a melee attack that wasn't on a cooldown. The mobility became a lot more valuable because instead of shooting at things from a distance I was mixing it up, hitting and running, divebombing enemies, and just doing speedy anime robot shit. I actually had a decent amount of fun with it, and I might pick it up if I can get a little bit of cash. I'm not expecting the technical stuff to be cleared up until a few weeks after launch at earliest but that's just video games now.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:14 pm

I guess for a doof like me, it boils down to "What does Anthem do that Warframe doesn't?" because from my personal impressions at least it seems to hit a bunch of the same notes, just way more stiffly and not as engaging. I admittedly didn't try the demo, though, so maybe the marketing is just really awful. Warframe's main problem, its extremely lackluster tutorial, is thankfully not an issue for me anymore so I wonder what kind of fun co-op, mobility, missions, etc. Anthem can give me that Warframe doesn't.

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:40 pm

Anthem has a very different kind of mobility from Warframe, because Warframe is about parkour and slide-jumping and Anthem is about jumping into the air and free-flying wherever you like. That in turn leads to Anthem's levels being designed differently from Warframe's, with a lot of open space to fly in but also a lot of vertical cover and places to swoop around when you're boosting away from enemy fire. Warframe has big open spaces in its open worlds but Anthem's open maps have a lot of verticality and places to fly around and over, because it's built around the idea of you having nearly unlimited vertical mobility.

It's also got a different structure from Warframe, with more emphasis on exploration and more traditional linear storytelling, and a more conveniental Diablo-derived loot system.

Of course Warframe boasts an absurd amount of content, tons of weird weapons and systems you are never going to see in any other game, a huge variety of frame's and powers, and so on and so on. But actually playing Anthem didn't really feel that much like playing Warframe because the movement is so different, so for me they're two things that can coexist.

e: Mobility is the big difference between this and Destiny, which is the other big comparison people are going to draw. You don't move particularly fast in Destiny, and while you have some aerial mobility options with each class's weird jumps, you're pretty floaty and slow in the air. You're definitely a whole lot faster and more mobile in Anthem and that does make a difference.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:05 am

That doesn't sound bad, thank you for explaining in more detail! My question still sorta remains, though - What does Anthem have going for it where I'll wanna put down the dosh for it? I do really like good co-op experiences, and exploration sounds fun, but I still can't really picture how it'll hit my "shoot and loot with friends" button in a way that Warframe doesn't already. If Anthem has a neat story or cool maps and secrets to explore with friends while you fly around and shoot stuff, that'd be something, for instance. I'm just generally skittish about games with three dimensional movement because I am really prone to getting disoriented in anything remotely approaching flight-based, so I'm just really curious how this game does its thing. If it draws me in with strengths I enjoy, I'd be happy to give it a go at least. I'm just really unsure because this is new territory for Bioware too, and I don't know how their writing fares in this one (considering it can be extremely hit or miss). I'll have to keep having an eye on Anthem, I suppose.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:11 am

I've seen a few promos for the story - or how quickly they can update aspects to add new quests, at least.

But from the description (e.g. they can modify how wildlife spawns to have an event where one species is disappearing and you need to find out why), it sounds a lot like the descriptions of Skyrim's "radiant quests" system before launch, except in a shared world. If they wanted to make more sweeping changes, how quickly could they make them?

I've been playing a bit of Fortnite recently, and in the past week there's been an event where the whole map has frozen over and is covered in huge crystals that spawn NPC enemies. Could Bioware do something like that quickly if they wanted to?

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:34 am

If for some reason you still have points on your Wii Shop account, now's the time to spend them. As part of their ongoing schedule to shut it down, Nintendo will disable any further purchases on January 30. Redownloads of things you already purchased should still be possible for some time after that, but any points you still have will be forefeit.

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:30 pm

The story in Anthem is yet another ancient aliens plot and I have no idea why Bioware keeps doing those like did they not notice it do they think we don't notice it???

It honestly plays pretty similar to the later Mass Effect games with ME3's combo system and a more refined take on MEA's jetpack with a lot more mobility and IMO that's a different enough flavor from the other big players in that genre that I'm okay with it.

Jill
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:29 am

an in-development version of King Rabbit is now playable on Steam if you don't have an iOS device to play its more complete predecessor

interestingly, the original game did not have water currents, and the "land potion" used to be "holy water" but was functionally identical, aside from the fact that pieces of land created by the potion are affected by water currents

either way it's good and free and i highly recommend it

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:49 pm

Just noticed this in my Switch news the other day and finally got around to watching it:

:cry: The Bad News: Nintendo wasn't happy with how Metroid Prime 4 was turning out, so they scrapped it completely and are going to be starting over from scratch. Naturally, this means the game's release is being pushed way back.

:-D The Good News: They're going to be working with Retro Studios to make sure the game meets the high standards the fans expect of the series.

Honestly, as disappointing as it is that the game's been further delayed, I'm perfectly fine with this outcome. I would rather them throw out something they're not happy with and start over rather than taking something they're not satisfied with and releasing it simply to meet a deadline. And I'm especially glad that they felt the need to step up and communicate with their audience about what was going on instead of just keeping everyone in the dark and not giving any details.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:53 pm

Venusy wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:49 am
i mean, it's probably pretty cheap for the rights holding company to go "hey, make exactly the same game you did before, but with bubsy" and make enough sales due to the memes and/or hate buys, so yeah

i'm actually surprised they seem to be referencing bubsy 2 and the animated pilot with the other characters
apparently slightly less cheap than i thought

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bubsy/bubsy-paws-on-fire-spicy-extras