General gaming superthread

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Angel Beat
~ Space, the final frontier. ~
Rarity's Roughnecks

Re: General gaming superthread

Post by Angel Beat (?) » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:46 pm

:awesomedash:
New signature pending.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:12 am

Recently I bought myself a HTC Vive because I use one at my work and I wanted one at home too.
The first game I bought myself (Fallout 4 VR was included) was SuperHot VR.
It was a very fun game. As the original the VR version is equally as short.
I completed the main game in about 2.5 hours. After completion there are some new modes unlocked, like an endless mode or some harder difficulty settings (headshot-only, or having one life), and a speedrun mode. The endless mode is where the main fun is at regarding to end-game content.

I played it in a very small standing setup and I smashed several times the controller into a cupboard, my monitor, or into the cacti in front of my window (the small ones with little spiky needles). I highly recommend making a bit more room because you are feeling easily tempted to grab the weapon out of the enemy's hand and you'll be hitting something accidentally.

I also downloaded the TF2-styled Surgeon Simulator (free) but that was unplayable in my setup because the patient and the tools were too far outside my standing area. The patient was exactly where my monitor was and the tools in my window.

I had more fun with "Blocks by Google". This is a free program for modeling low-poly objects in VR. You are able to place primitive shapes (spheres, cubes...) and you can draw hoses. Afterwards you can edit the shapes by moving individual verticies and you can subdivide the models to create more verticies, as well as painting each face individually.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:24 pm

Papers, Please got an official short film adaptation!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/80432 ... hort_Film/

be sure to turn on captions

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:43 pm

That's really, really good.

Cobrastan passport spotted :v:

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:20 pm

Into the Breach launches tomorrow :sweetielarm:

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:40 am

I should really play Papers, Please. I got it on sale on Steam a couple years back but still haven't touched it.

I also just played through Celeste. The base game, at least. I still need to collect more strawberries, do the remaining B-Sides, the C-Sides, and the core. It's a fantastic game that's probably my favorite "rage game" since Super Meat Boy. The story is also very good, taking a very real and frank look at depression and anxiety.

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:06 pm

Internet's been shit lately, and i'm trying to take some sort of break from Kingdom Hearts 2 after doing a 100% run on standard mode, so I've decided to replay Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2

I played through the game before, except I got stymied by the third to last operation, where I had to deal with three burn patients in a row. And before I could try tackling that again, I decided to run the entire game, and kind of just blabbing about my progress in Discord. Progress right now?

I'm at the final boss. Beat that burn operation last night, as well as the second to last operation vs Bythos. Now it's the final fight against Aletheia, who decides to throw every single other GUILT and Neo-GUILT at you to defend itself, and hoofah, it's currently kicking my face in repeatedly.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:58 pm

Recently I bought "Snake Pass" http://store.steampowered.com/app/544330/Snake_Pass/

The main reason I bought it was this video

I was fascinated by the vastly different way of movement. I used a XBox 360 controller and it was still difficult to move the snake.
The left analog stick is to set the direction of movement, the right bumper to move forward, A to lift the head, and the left bumper to fasten the grip. In the beginning the controls were difficult to get used to but after an hour it was way better.
Basically the snake has to collect 3 gemstones in each level to open a portal to the next level.
There are also a bunch of collectibles scattered across the levels and they are placed at difficult to reach places for the extra challenge.
Upon completion you get a low-poly "pixel" version of the snake, so not really worth the effort in my opinion.

I spent about 5 hours with the game and it was fun, however I cannot fully recommend the game, unless you're desperate to find new gameplay experiences. When it's on a big discount it gets a more favorable recommendation from me.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:37 pm

About a week or two ago, my brother got me a code to download Shadow of the Colossus for PS4 as part of his payment for me babysitting his kids on when he and his wife both have to work. I owned the original on PS2 but never finished it; I forget where I stopped at on that one.

Been playing it off and on for the last couple of days, and today I finally finished the game. Good stuff; it was fun fighting the colossi I'd gone up against all those years ago, and also finally getting around to taking down the ones I'd never fought before. I'm probably not going to bother trying to platinum the game, but I might go back and try running through it again on Easy at some point, maybe trying to stream it if folks are interested in seeing it in action.

Jill
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:41 am

i'm playing nauts again for some ungodly reason and

:allears:

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:27 am

sweet as candy :allears:
Image /// Image /// Image

Jill
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:51 pm

out of the nauts that were introduced after i last played, i'm particularly liking Yoolip and Max Focus

Yoolip feels broken to me because of the sheer amount of damage he can deal to turrets with just two upgrades, but that probably doesn't scale into higher PvP leagues where opponents keep their turrets covered at all times

Jimmy and the LUX5000 also feels really broken to me solely because of his dash ability. it has a relatively short cooldown, shields him, heals back damage taken when it ends, and makes him effectively the fastest fucker in the game. he might be even worse than Lonestar as far as his ability to just run in and burst and disengage if things go sour

OTOH they made Penny even harder to play for some reason because she now can't use her skills during her autoattack, and she only gains one charge per swipe regardless of how many enemies she hits

Nibbs still needs way too much solar to even have passable survivability and her flame breath is both weak and risky

old nauts are pretty much still the same. Lonestar is literal bullshit, Coco has every debuff ever conceived, Leon's gonna Leon, Gnaw's DoT melts anything, Raelyn rejects your definition of "in combat", and Froggy G is invincible

theGECK
People don't "become an adult", they just get too old to be called a kid
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by theGECK (?) » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:10 pm

I just started The Witcher 3 and holy crap. I finally get what everybody's been talking about! Over the last few years I kept hearing people talk about it, how this game does it differently from other games, and now that I started to play I finally get it. I completely agree.

Geralt is hawt. I want to talk with NPCs all day just so the camera shows his face and gravels his voice in my ears. I don't even have the best or newest graphics card but I increased my graphic settings by one just to make sure I could see it as nice as possible, even though it slows everything down just a tiny bit.

The world is simply gorgeous. I want to stop playing and wait until I spend money on a graphics card that can handle displaying this world so I don't see flowers pop into existence 40 feet in front of me. But even with that, I just wander around towns and fields, seeing neat things, and being amazed by them.

The game seems really good too! I'm surprised at how much I actually wanted to interact with the people in the random street in the first town. I'm only 60 minutes in, but it's felt like something where everything is lovingly crafted, which is something I haven't felt since I was 11 years old playing Earthbound. I just need to figure out if I should use a controller or the keyboard. Any opinions?

EDIT: Removed accidental spoiler tags.
Last edited by theGECK on Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Highbrow Dash
But why would you post such a thing?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:54 pm

theGECK wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:10 pm
I just need to figure out if I should use a controller or the keyboard. Any opinions?
I'd say controller for sure, there's nothing that requires mouse & keyboard and it's a "console" ARPG.

And yeah it's really, really good :allears:

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:43 am

theGECK wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:10 pm
I just started The Witcher 3 and holy crap. I finally get what everybody's been talking about! Over the last few years I kept hearing people talk about it, how this game does it differently from other games, and now that I started to play I finally get it. I completely agree.

Geralt is hawt. I want to talk with NPCs all day just so the camera shows his face and gravels his voice in my ears. I don't even have the best or newest graphics card but I increased my graphic settings by one just to make sure I could see it as nice as possible, even though it slows everything down just a tiny bit.

The world is simply gorgeous. I want to stop playing and wait until I spend money on a graphics card that can handle displaying this world so I don't see flowers pop into existence 40 feet in front of me. But even with that, I just wander around towns and fields, seeing neat things, and being amazed by them.

The game seems really good too! I'm surprised at how much I actually wanted to interact with the people in the random street in the first town. I'm only 60 minutes in, but it's felt like something where everything is lovingly crafted, which is something I haven't felt since I was 11 years old playing Earthbound. I just need to figure out if I should use a controller or the keyboard. Any opinions?

EDIT: Removed accidental spoiler tags.
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:26 pm

Me earlier this evening: "Hey I think I can put together a gimmick outfit."
Me now:

I normally don't care for the heavy industrial aesthetic of the Salmon Run reward gear, but recently I realized that the welding mask combined with a couple other pieces I had on hand could reproduce the look of that guy on the PUBG cover art. After pulling it together, I realized that due to how I'd gotten all of it (read: good luck), all three pieces had Swim Speed Up as their main ability. Being able to swim extremely quickly makes the N-ZAP '85 (also originally equipped to complete the look) deadly when squaring off against another player, as it becomes quite easy to juke the enemy and get up close from a different angle. It also helps a lot when getting back to the action from spawn, as that video shows.

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:28 pm

Ion Maiden just released a demo you get if you preorder the game and it is extremely good. It's basically Duke Nukem 3d but with modern resolution and stuff and a female main character. It's extremely good so far.
ImageImageImageImage

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:36 pm

I'm thinking of trying to get into FTL finally, having owned it for quite a while but never really started playing it.

What are some good things to keep in mind? Like general advice or anything specific, doesn't matter.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:43 pm

The best way to play this game is just assume it'll all go to heck and have fun witnessing how it happens. It's very risk/reward oriented and it is sometimes worth making those hail mary runs.
👉👉🥜🏠

theGECK
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by theGECK (?) » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:18 pm

Best advice for FTL? Shields are good, watch the timing of your weapons so you don't waste a volley, more crew = more good, spiders are bad news.

Jill
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:20 pm

Aria Genisi wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:36 pm
I'm thinking of trying to get into FTL finally, having owned it for quite a while but never really started playing it.

What are some good things to keep in mind? Like general advice or anything specific, doesn't matter.
learn the hotkeys

you can give orders and stuff while the game is paused, so get used to pressing spacebar whenever something happens

the ship door upgrades will go a long way in keeping your crew safe. instead of always fighting things head-on, it's good to know how to put out fires and kill enemy boarders by selectively draining the oxygen from your ship

get used to cycling your power bars. the medbay does not need power while not in use, and you can usually afford to turn off oxygen every so often. for instance: if an enemy is about to fire a weapon that can miss, you can pause to turn off your oxygen/teleporter/drones for a moment and shift that power to the engines to maximize your evade chance

the rest pretty much comes naturally. you will learn how to optimize your weapon volleys and stuff by trial and error

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:44 pm

Don't panic about staying way ahead of the rebels. In fact, you pretty much want to skirt the edge of the systems they're entering, hitting as many as possible and even using nebulas and certain other encounters to slow them down. The more systems you visit, the more scrap and other resources you get, which means you keep up with enemy progression that much better.

You get bigger rewards from a fight if you win by killing all the enemy crew. This isn't easy without a teleporter or certain weapons, but disabling their medbay and life support might do it.

Speaking of a teleporter, if your dudes are on their ship and they're charging their FTL, disable their engines or teleport them back ASAP. Any of your crew on a ship that flies away will be lost and counted as dead.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:50 am

FFXV is a very pretty game, but boy is it not designed for KB+M. Like, you can make it work, but it doesn't like it.

Also, I'll be running it with Borderless Gaming, since full-screen mode randomly gets disabled.

Performance is better than the test, though.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:25 pm

Something's coming tomorrow.

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:26 pm

If it ain't a look at story mode, it ain't worth a look at all
ImageImageImage

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:09 pm

Just had this happen when taking a special photo:

Imagine being as owned as Gladio. :-I
ImageImage
Image3DS Friend Code: 2852-6885-2752

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:21 pm

Gabe Newell says Valve is going to start making single-player games again. He specifically says the lull since 2013 has had more to do with wanting to get a hardware manufacturing pipeline in place so they had more freedom to develop hardware and software in tandem.

So basically he wanted Valve to become another Nintendo, specifically circa the Wii era.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:11 am

I thought Gabe said single-player games are dead, and nobody wanted games that don't have a "social experience" or whatever anymore.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:12 am

Yeah, he said Portal 2 was the company's last single player game.

But the developing hardware and software in tandem part - I mean, I like the Steam Controller (though I haven't used it in a while), but it's still fairly unpopular, so they'd need to make an incredibly good game if that was going to be the only input method, to convince more people to buy. Making a Vive only game would go against their commitment to openness with the thing (and The Lab supports Oculus and Windows Mixed Reality).
(I'm not sure how expensive the Vive wands/lighthouses would be without the headset).

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:26 am

They had better made some bomb ass turn-based menu-driven cutscene-heavy JRPGs where I select FIGHT from a menu, watch my guy jump over there, a huge number pops out, and I always win.

theGECK
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by theGECK (?) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:04 am

Aramek wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:26 am
They had better made some bomb ass turn-based menu-driven cutscene-heavy JRPGs where I select FIGHT from a menu, watch my guy jump over there, a huge number pops out, and I always win.
https://www.kongregate.com/games/kupo70 ... le-fantasy

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:08 am

I already have Epic Battle Fantasy 4 on Steam.

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:02 pm

Started playing Resident Evil 7. Hadn’t touched the RE series since 5, but I heard this one was good and on sale sooooooooo ... :iamapony:

It’s good so far! Pleasingly cheesy. Once things get weird, they get weird in a fun B-movie way and I like that. 1st person view is a nice change too.

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:08 am

So I got a package from home last night and it had a Wii in it. I've never had a Wii.

What are some games I should get? It came with a few, but the only one I really knew was Twilight Princess.

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:37 pm

There are a lot of good games, depending on what you're into. I have too many favorites to list.

I like the first two Wii trauma center games for fantasy surgery and extremely good use of the pointing device.

I like Sin and Punishment: Star Successor for being literally the best rail shooter type game.

No More Heroes 1&2 debuted on it if you haven't played them elsewhere.

Donley Kong Country Returns is very good if you don't have it on 3DS.

Xenoblade is good if you like that sort of action jrpg and lots and lots of quests.

New Super Mario Bros Wii was more fun than the DS ones, and is good for multiplayer.

Kirby's Epic Yarn is a cute easy game

Mario Galaxy 2 is a classic and Galaxy 1 isn't bad.

Ivy The Kiwi is weird with a very breakable physics engine.

ImageImageImage Very math.

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:54 pm

Epic Mickey was supposedly really good.
Wario Land: Shake It!! is good and cool.
Okami looked nice on the Wii, and used motion controls better than I'd expect the PS2's analog stick could.
Metal Slug Anthology is Metal Slug.
A Boy and his Blob is cute and paced nice and slowly.
Muramasa: The Demon Blade, if you don't have a PS Vita.

Any gamecube game that looked interesting. Unless it's a garbage inferior newmodel without the gamecube controller ports

Aramek suggestion:
The Last Story probably has numbers go big.
Rune Factory does too but you'll need to learn how to farm vegetables.
Babysitting Mama because everyone has the need to feel incompetent every once in a while.
ImageImageImage

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:08 pm

no no no, don't shake the baby

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:19 pm

They remade Pikmin and Pikmin 2 for the Wii, if you like throwing little plant creatures around to do your bidding and occasionally get eaten by giant bugs. Or you can just get the original GameCube versions if you have the controller for it. And on the subject of GameCube, everyone seems to like Super Mario Sunshine if you never played that before.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:24 pm

I haven't owned Nintendo since SNES.

So, like, nothing from 64 onwards I'm familiar with.

Highbrow Dash
But why would you post such a thing?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:56 pm

Aramek wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:24 pm
I haven't owned Nintendo since SNES.

So, like, nothing from 64 onwards I'm familiar with.
Play Windwaker and Mario Galaxy 1&2, then.