General gaming superthread

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Re: General gaming superthread

Post by Madeline (?) » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:30 pm

Guess who has opposable thumbs and beat the true last boss of Hollow Knight today?

<——————

I still can’t beat any of the optional postgame content though :-I

ixnay
The Great and Powerful Trixsters

Post by ixnay (?) » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:11 am

Hollow Knight released on Xbox last week and started out 20% off its already low price

I knew literally nothing about it except for that it was a metroidvania and people I know online were praising it, so I bought it sight unseen to go in blind and after a few hours I’m really enjoying it

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:00 am

ixnay wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:11 am
Hollow Knight released on Xbox last week and started out 20% off its already low price

I knew literally nothing about it except for that it was a metroidvania and people I know online were praising it, so I bought it sight unseen to go in blind and after a few hours I’m really enjoying it
For the amount of time I’ve spent playing it, it would be a steal at full price. It’s def. worth it at 20% off. It’s very challenging but when you get the bosses down, it’s kind of like choreography. Like it reminds me more of Mega Man X or a character action game than Dark Souls, even though you have to hunt down your shade to get your full soul meter and geo back.

Also spell-focused charm loadouts are broken as hell if you run into a roadblock, just FYI :-I

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:34 am

Darkest Dungeon is $7.50 on Steam until tomorrow. I picked it up yesterday and I'm really enjoying it so far.
ImageImageImageImageImage

The Ghost of Ember
don't you feel so scared sometimes?

Post by The Ghost of Ember (?) » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:59 am

Darkest Dungeon is really good, but be aware that the expansions are kind of intended to be for folks coming back after completing or getting close to completing the vanilla game, and don't really compliment the vanilla experience
RIP Syndrome wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:56 pm
this universe is cursed

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:55 pm

Agreed. Nothing wrong with turning off Crimson Court and Colour of Madness until you’ve had a chance to explore the base content.

Especially Crimson Court, which due to its mechanics tends to crowd out the base content.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:00 pm

SlateSlabrock wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:03 pm
Welp, unless they re-run the two Elusive Targets they skipped, I've finally caught up to where I started.
!!

They finally re-ran one of the Elusive Targets they skipped, The Pharmacist.

Got spotted on the way out, four stars. :gonkity:

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:43 am

I don't get how that game works because I've never played it but every time somebody posts about an elusive Target it seems like it's a mission that you only get one chance at?

How could you possibly be good at it if you've not seen the area or the target's Behavior?
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Angel Beat
~ Space, the final frontier. ~
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Angel Beat (?) » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:14 am

You can restart as many times as you want unless you kill the target or you get killed.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:00 pm

And having to improvise is part of the challenge.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:17 pm

I've been playing Hearthstone for years and it's been getting a bit stale, so I decided to try out MTG Arena.

Holy crap this is the worst new player experience I've ever seen. 5 tutorial games and then they dump you into genpop with a beginner deck and expect you to put up a fight against people with INSANE decks. It's just loss after loss after loss and none of the games are even close.

And this is OPEN BETA. The gap is only going to get worse as the game gets older.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:09 am

Had my first encounter with an item in Enter the Gungeon that makes the experience worse. I'm used to items like that in The Binding of Isaac but they've been mercifully absent from Gungeon until now.

Fittingly, it's also almost a perfect clone of a bad item from Isaac, the Wiggle Worm. Except it doubles the bullets to form a double helix pattern. Still felt like it was taking more shots to kill anything though. I suppose I could carefully line myself up so I'm exactly the right distance for the waves to intersect at the enemy's position, but when you're constantly dodging projectiles from multiple directions, you don't really want to do that.

Also, that pillow is a "gun" called the Silencer. It fires smaller pillows, and you reload it by fluffing it, which is adorable. It's surprisingly powerful too.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:21 pm

https://www.analogue.co/mega-sg/

Here for this (nearer Christmas) - the Nt and Super Nt were of interest, but they're not what I grew up with, and I've got no significant NES or SNES cart library. But I've got a box in the closet full to the brim with Mega Drive games.

Oddly surprised at the requirement on original Mega CDs though - those are expensive and they could do with making their own CD player for them. The 32X not being supported is less surprising.

(Also it'll be nice when the firmware gets "hacked" by the lead dev to load things from an SD card)

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:21 pm

I gave up and used a mod to be able to finish NKG and the Godmaster content in Hollow Knight. I believed this would disable Steam achievements, but, uh, it kind of didn’t, so sorry for messing the percentages up for everyone :-I I don’t think I’ll ever be able to do it on Switch, which is a shame, as my laptop sucks so bad that even the Switch runs games better than my PC can.

It wasn’t the platforming that did me in. I actually enjoyed Queen’s Gardens and the White Palace, and the Path of Pain was doable even if I swore a lot at it. It’s the boss fights, or more accurately, the super bosses. Stuff like the Hornet fights or Mantis Queens or even Soul Tyrant were okay and fun, because if you learn their tells, you can beat them every time. Watcher Knights and Umuu, not so much, because they rely on RNG crap. The boss rush stuff is just a tedious grind, and then they locked new bosses and optional endings behind them. That’s their choice, it just doesn’t mesh with my preferences in gaming I suppose. I can’t even imagine doing the 5th pantheon legit because fighting 40-some bosses in a row is not what I like to play in games in the first place.

Should’ve just done what I usually do with boss rush modes and ignored it completely, but that’s me for you :v:

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:23 am

I played through and found all the collectables in "The MISSING: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories", which is the latest game by Swery (creator of Deadly Premonition). I absolutely loved it and highly suggest checking it out. It's a puzzle platformer (think along the lines of Limbo) in which your character, a young woman named J.J., is in search for her best friend Emily after she goes missing on an island during a romantic getaway with her. Soon on her search J.J. gets struck by lightning but, rather than dying, she's able to pull herself back together and continue her journey to find Emily. This is the main gameplay mechanic of the game: J.J. is practically invincible and she'll use this to her advantage to solve puzzles in world by dismembering limbs, setting herself on fire, breaking her neck, etc. Yes, it's weird, but this IS by the guy who did Deadly Premonition, remember.

I won't say anymore to avoid spoilers because the story in this game is fantastic. I will just say that it is one of the best LGBT stories I've ever seen represented in a video game.

The game is out on PS4, Xbox One, Switch, and Steam so chances are you have something that it's available for.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:50 am

DarkMatter wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:23 am
It's a puzzle platformer (think along the lines of Limbo) in which your character, a young woman named J.J., is in search for her best friend Emily after she goes missing on an island during a romantic getaway with her. Soon on her search J.J. gets struck by lightning but, rather than dying, she's able to pull herself back together and continue her journey to find Emily. This is the main gameplay mechanic of the game: J.J. is practically invincible and she'll use this to her advantage to solve puzzles in world by dismembering limbs, setting herself on fire, breaking her neck, etc.
Are you sure you weren't actually playing one of the later Wario Land games? :ponder:

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:54 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:50 am
Are you sure you weren't actually playing one of the later Wario Land games? :ponder:

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:34 pm

I needed something to tide me over until Spyro, so I finished A Hat in Time (not 100%, and not enough time pieces to enter the DLC chapter).

It's cute, it's got a really fun style of movement - not quite as fluid as Super Mario Odyssey, but close - a lot of inventive levels, there are tons of mods that add new levels and even more movement options (such as all the FLUDD nozzles from Super Mario Sunshine), and I found out from watching the credits that Aramek was in it! :flutterears: (From checking IMDB, in a role that rather suits him. :smirk: ) It makes Yooka-Laylee look even worse as a game by comparison, because it got right a lot of the things that Yooka did wrong.

But ethically, I struggle to recommend it. A few credits above Aramek, there's the name of a certain gaming YouTuber now known more for his absolute garbage political views - one who I now remember the backers asking the devs to remove at the time, just as the same YouTuber was completely wiped from Yooka-Laylee with the day 1 patch. The fact he's still listed in A Hat in Time (and the credits have been updated fairly recently due to the DLC) reminds me that (one of?) the devs agreed with at least some of the garbage being spouted.
:yikes:

I got my copy for free via Humble Monthly, and the DLC for free with that 24 hour offer they did, so I don't feel too bad about playing it having not given the devs any money directly. On a technical and gameplay level, I want people to learn from it (see the race from AGDQ 2018 as an example) - but I also don't want to suggest that they buy it, and telling people to download it illegally feels wrong as well. :pinkieshrug:

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:42 pm

The main dev for hat in time is a big jerk lord so that does not surprise me. Apparently, quite a few people didn't support the kickstarter because of who the dev was, whose username I can't quite remember but had 'bowser' or 'koopa' or something in it, and had been known for being not a nice person for some time before hat in time. If the SA thread for the kickstarter was still up I'd go look it up but it's been way too long so it's fallen into the archives somewhere by now.
ImageImageImageImage

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:41 pm

I still have no qualms suggesting A Hat in Time to people regardless of who's in the voice cast because it's such a fantastic platformer. And, really, if you didn't support something because a garbage person or someone you didn't like is somewhere in the production, I have a hard time thinking you'd be able to support just about anything.

And the character he voices is also such a bit role that you aren't even required to speak to who, if I recall correctly, only shows up in one chapter. :pinkieshrug:

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:56 pm

It was more seeing that name reminded me that "oh yeah, the dev is a jerk, aren't they " - which I had a vague recollection of as the reason why I didn't purchase it before despite the positive reviews.

Because yeah, a minor cameo appearance is one thing, but it's a bit different if the lead dev on a relatively small project is a jerk.

Redeye

Post by Redeye (?) » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:13 am

Hey, hi. It me.

I got back into Minecraft recently, because I really needed a building game and Terraria was a little too combat focused for what I wanted. Of course it's been years, so there's all this new stuff. But I'm really missing all the mods that used to exist on the Pgoons server for the like five weeks we had mods--the microblocks, the industrial stuff, Bibliotech.

I was wondering if anyone either still somehow had the Pgoons mod pack, or remembered what was in it? I've been asking around the Discord for a while now but I haven't had any luck.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:43 pm

I don't know anything about any industrial stuff, but I do remember the second time we gave up on staying vanilla and installed Pam's Harvestcraft, I think Bibliocraft again, and something whose name is on the tip of my tongue that added foxes, eagles, and a giant centipede that scared more bajeezuses out of me than probably any other time I've played the game. Searching for "minecraft giant centipede" used to take me to a wiki for whatever the mod was called, and it doesn't now, so it's probably one of those mods whose creators ragequit after the combat update.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Redeye

Post by Redeye (?) » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:11 pm

Christ, I remember that centipede. I also agree that thing was the creepiest thing on God's earth.

I think that was also the mod that added giant pyramids in the deserts and the most bizarrely modeled zebras I'd ever seen.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:02 pm

Googling suggests Lycanite's Mobs and Kasslim's Mazes? Although pyramids seem to be in vanilla now too.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:19 pm

Wait, I got it. Project Zulu!

Redeye

Post by Redeye (?) » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:47 am

I do remember Bibliocraft and Harvestcraft. There was also I THINK a magic mod of some kind, Natura I think. The bits I don't remember are which industrial mods it was--probably one of the Thermals though there might have been something else--and the microblocks mod, which I remember having a ton of trouble trying to find again.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:46 pm

So this just happened

I think I'm going to just donate all my life savings to charity and go live on a fucking commune or something because I am just so done with letting companies have any of my money.

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:13 pm

GoG is CD Projekt Red and I've been beating the "these guys are like quietly libertarian tech bros and nobody seems to notice it" drum for a while

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:38 am

The other day, I finally finished playing through Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass, and it's absolutely fantastic.

It's an Earthbound-like RPG where you play as Jimmy as he goes on an adventure in his dreams to save his family and the world from an alien entity called the Pulsating Mass. It's a goofy, fun, sad, and sometimes rather scary game.

This game takes place in a dream world, so when it wants to do horror, it will do horror, and it can and will be *absolutely horrifying*. And by horror, I mean something more akin to silent hill or the like, as opposed to some rando indie jumpscare simulator. I'm not very big on horror at all, but it's all really well done imo, and I honestly love it. Like, one of the optional dungeons in particular is one of my favorite bits of horror in games, and is a prime example of how to do atmosphere, darker themes and horror well in my book, without devolving into focusing on jumpscares and inherent shock value to get the tone of the story across.

It's not all about horror, but there's enough of it throughout the game that it's worth mentioning upfront.

I extremely enjoyed playing this game and I highly recommend that if you're interested in a really good RPG, a really good earthbound-inspired game, or just a rather interesting and well written story, you should absolutely check this game out. It's easily one of my favorite games from this year.

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:00 pm

Weird Autumn wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:13 pm
GoG is CD Projekt Red and I've been beating the "these guys are like quietly libertarian tech bros and nobody seems to notice it" drum for a while
They're very Eastern European, so expect them to make social gaffes for the next 100 years.
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:56 pm

I got rid of my GOG account. I’m not supporting anybody who says that a marginalized group’s right to existence is up for debate. As for CDPR games, meh, I can’t say my boycott has any teeth there. While I’ve spent a lot of money on GOG, the only CDPR game I ever bought was The Witcher 3, and I sold that during the last kerfuffle in August. I just can’t get into RPGs of any kind any more.

And before anybody brings it up again: it isn’t pointless to refuse to support something just because moral purity is impossible. No one is attacking you, personally, because you like a problematic creator or thing, especially if you’re aware of why other people might find them to be a problem. The point of refusing to support a business, in particular, is to put pressure on them to stop being jerks, not to put them out of business. If CDP made a proper apology at some point and actually took actions that showed them to be sincere, like making donations to the Trevor Project or something, I would buy from GOG again.

No one is entitled to your time and money. If I don’t want to buy Cyberpunk 2077 or A Hat In Time because they are associated in some way with jerks (either on the publisher or the dev side; not even talking about Jon Tron or his cameo because who cares about a 30 second voice snippet or whatever it is), that’s my business, not yours. They aren’t entitled to a purchase just because the games exist and are well-made. People are free to pick and choose what they want to enjoy, and that includes people who buy Cyberpunk (when it comes out) or A Hat In Time or any other game that has attracted criticism. If you enjoy playing A Hat In Time, that’s your business, not mine, and I have no right to tell you to stop having fun. I can’t tell you what to do. All I want is the same respect in return for my decisions.

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:24 am

Of course and I'm sorry if I came off in such a way. I can't force anyone to buy or not buy a game for any reason, that's ultimately your call in if you feel comfortable enough purchasing it or not. Similarly, I don't know if I'd feel comfortable buying Red Dead Redemption 2 after Rockstar boasted and bragged about how their workers were working 100+ hour work weeks during the crunch time as if that's something to be proud of and the stories that have been emerging from R* in the following days (like how the workers aren't "forced" to work overtime but they are basically coerced into it). But I also hold no ill will toward anyone who does purchase RDR2 and I hope they have a great time playing it.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:33 am

I can only say again that the fault doesn't lie with people trusting others to be decent, it lies with the jerks who abused this trust. What you do as a result of finding out they are jerks is up to you.

There are plenty of creators who aren't jerks, and who are happy about being recognized for their creative efforts and their non-jerk attitudes.
Image /// Image /// Image

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:36 am

related

Image /// Image /// Image

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:48 pm

In case anybody thought Konami might put effort into something (spoiler: nobody expected them to do that), here’s the game selection screen from Castlevania Requiem, which I yanked from GameSpot:

You can also add an ugly interlacing effect to the screen for reasons(?), along with scanlines, smoothing, or untouched pixels. You get the choice between Japanese audio or the English redub from Dracula X Chronicles. Despite Konami claiming it was “no simple port,” it pretty much seems to be a simple port and emulation of the PSP package, minus the 2.5D Rondo remake.

if you have a PS4 and want to play Castlevania and don’t already have these games, the actual games are good, even if the front end is shoddy. That game select menu, though :shepspike:

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:53 pm

DarkMatter wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:24 am
Of course and I'm sorry if I came off in such a way. I can't force anyone to buy or not buy a game for any reason, that's ultimately your call in if you feel comfortable enough purchasing it or not. Similarly, I don't know if I'd feel comfortable buying Red Dead Redemption 2 after Rockstar boasted and bragged about how their workers were working 100+ hour work weeks during the crunch time as if that's something to be proud of and the stories that have been emerging from R* in the following days (like how the workers aren't "forced" to work overtime but they are basically coerced into it). But I also hold no ill will toward anyone who does purchase RDR2 and I hope they have a great time playing it.
Oh, no worries, I didn’t mean to come off like I was lecturing you. :hug: I am bad at making points. I understand why people are hyped for RDR 2, because the original was so good, but, yeah, those crunch time stories put me off, too.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:29 pm

Madeline wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:48 pm
if you have a PS4 and want to play Castlevania and don’t already have these games, the actual games are good, even if the front end is shoddy.
So what you're saying is that they still did a better job with the emulation than Sega does these days.

Perpetual Motion
Enthusiasm makes everything an adventure.

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:02 pm

The lack of an original dub option is a big letdown, though. Like, they have to be aware of the memes and enjoyment people got out of that, right? Fucking Nintendo is aware of the memes.

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:19 am

If you've never played either, I still recommend playing Dracula X Chronicles instead, because it's a more complete package for $15 for a digital copy for PSP or Vita (or you could try emulating it), or just getting Symphony of the Night on it's own as a PS1 classic for PS3 or as an Xbox 360 game.

But considering there's very little options to getting an english option of Rondo, this thing works, all things considered.