General gaming superthread

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

diribigal
Special Flowers

Re: General gaming superthread

Post by diribigal (?) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:06 pm

Wayoshi wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:13 pm
Tangent to all the Nier talk: Celeste is fun.
Fizzbuzz wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:04 pm
I picked this up yesterday (a game that tore me away from Splatoon? Amazing) and can confirm this. Though, it's already setting off my obsessive collectathon habits, as so far I've been playing and replaying the first chapter in order to find every last strawberry :twonk: before moving on.
I confused "Celeste" with "Cibele" and was very bemused for a bit.

(That sentence works okay whether you know what bemused means or not.)
ImageImageImage Very math.

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:27 pm

Subnautica seems cool, but, uhm, where the fuck is all the salt so I can make clean water? :twonk:
ImageImage
Image3DS Friend Code: 2852-6885-2752

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:39 pm

Hey guys, so I beat NieR:Automata.

All endings achieved.
Platinum trophy obtained.
And all data deleted so I could help out another player.

I loved this game.

[My voice may not reach you.][But...][I'm in your corner.]

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:45 pm

it's soooooo gooooooooood :twonk:

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:51 pm

I have two questions off the top of my head right now:

In 9S's ending route D, does choosing to go with/not go with Adam change anything? For the record, I opted to go with him.

Also, a less spoilery question, is there any way to access the elevator in the desert with the apologetic machine in front of it?

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:00 pm

the elevators lead to the DLC coliseums. It's a little extra lore stuff, a bunch of arena fights, unlockable costumes of Nier 1 characters, and an immersion breaking bonus boss fight against the CEOs of Square Enix and PlatinumGames.

As for that choice, I have no idea. Probably not, since the Tower would fire into space anyways

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:07 pm

Can you hear me now?

Cause we're gonna shout it loud
Even if our words seem meaningless
It's like i'm carrying the weight of the world

I wish that someway, somehow
That i could save every one of us
But the truth is that i'm only one girl

Maybe if i keep believing my dreams will come to life
Come to life......

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:23 am

That ending is going to stay with me for a long time.

I also never got around to messing with Debug Mode... but I felt like I had to help out another player at the cost of my save data.

Mad Surge
Who put sparkles all around me?
Semper Pie

Post by Mad Surge (?) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:09 am

For the record, no, choosing to stay on earth doesn't change anything; however 9S has some harsh words for Yorha and says that he and those like him and the organization don't deserve to be loved :fluttersmith:
Did you try upgrading all weapons to the max? And congratulations on finishing the game! :yay:
Image Image Image

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:41 am

Mad Surge wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:09 am
For the record, no, choosing to stay on earth doesn't change anything; however 9S has some harsh words for Yorha and says that he and those like him and the organization don't deserve to be loved :fluttersmith:
Did you try upgrading all weapons to the max? And congratulations on finishing the game! :yay:
Oh, I see. :fluttersmith:

And yes, I upgraded all my weapons to the max! So I got to do the secret boss fight with the Emil clones in the desert. I let him win the one time so I could get ending Y and then went back and managed to defeat him. That was an awesome fight and, having looked into the Nier lore, Emil is a good boy and deserves to rest. :cry:

I also noticed in Ending D Pascal watches the missile launch from his village. I assume that if you killed him he will not show up here, but will if you had wiped his memories or walked away. I walked away from him my main playthrough so I like to think that he gathered himself up and went back to his village to try to start anew.

Captain Rufus
Faithful Students

Post by Captain Rufus (?) » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:19 pm

I'm still playing Star Wars Galaxies. When people aren't grinding holocrons to become Jedi like back in 03-4 it's actually a good bit of fun.

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:17 am

Quanta wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:27 pm
Subnautica seems cool, but, uhm, where the fuck is all the salt so I can make clean water? :twonk:
Varies with biome. You won’t find much around your lifepod, you’ll need to venture out a little farther and you’ll have plenty! :party: Meanwhile you can always make water from bladderfish or whatever they’re called these days.

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:53 pm

Yeah, I figured out that bladderfish are the way to go early-game so now I'm no longer dying of dehydration on day 3. :-I

My current goal is to get a small base going, though part of me wonders if this is the best use of my time and resources atm.

Also wondering if it's possible to reach the Aurora and prevent it from exploding. Seems like the kind of thing you'd get an achievement for.
ImageImage

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:16 pm

Bases are cool. Build a base. In fact, build several! I usually build a mini starter base not far from the lifepod, then later in the game I build a second, massive one elsewhere. Deep, deep down, where there's plenty of room. :evil:

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:28 pm

The limiting factor for base-building for me is going to be the sandstone minerals. I can't seem to find them in large quantities. It took literal days in-game to find a piece of silver that I could use to finish the wiring kit and make the habitat tool. That's a lot of going into caves and getting blown up by insane fish.
ImageImage

RudeCyrus
nightmare eyes
Rainbow Racers
Patreon supporter

Post by RudeCyrus (?) » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:15 pm

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:04 pm

Anyone remember the "Postmodern Warfare" joke synopsis from McSweeney's? Watching this video, I get the feeling Treyarch read that article and started to legitimately take inspiration from it.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:39 pm

I gotta say, I'll bet playing Subnautica in VR is a delight...until a Stalker sneaks up on you and eats you. :v:
ImageImage

Logicgate

Post by Logicgate (?) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:45 pm

Relatively few rooms require silver/gold Getting started is hard, though! I'd say top priority for base building is getting a scanner room running in a biome with sandstone. You'll also need to find magnetite so you can get the HUD upgrade that makes scanner rooms useful. Also, don't feel like you've committed to anything by building a base. Everything built by the base builder rewards 100% of the resources you used to build it when you dismantle it.

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:17 pm

Yeah, I've noticed. It's nice that I can just pick up and move if I feel like it.

As far as priorities, I feel the more pressing matter is ensuring I have a constant supply of food and water. Food seems relatively simple--you just chase down fish and fry 'em--but water is annoying. I feel like bladderfish become more and more scarce as I hunt them, though it might just be my imagination. I feel like this, more than anything, puts a damper on any potential exploration.
ImageImage

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:13 am

Collecting salt should be a priority for you, it sounds like. A few successful salt runs should keep you in hydration for a long time. You might want to expand your exploration range — venture out farther from home base. Don’t be shy about leaving beacons at interesting places you find.

Salt is pretty common overall, but I find more of it in sandy areas with no vegetation (whether because it spawns more commonly there, or it’s just easier to spot, I don’t know). The area around the Aurora has tons of salt — of course, you’ll need to keep the radiation from killing you ...

I’ve been busy setting up my #2 larger, deeper base. It’s too deep and dark for solar power, but I have alternatives. :twience:

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:01 am

I built a second base and went exploring a bunch. Went up to the Aurora, only to find that there doesn't seem to be an entrance. Also, I swear I saw a Leviathan as I left the crash site, I'm a bit worried about going back there. I also scanned a bunch of shit, including the scanner room. Gonna build one soon.

If I can find scans for the mobile vehicle bay, I'll be able to build a Seamoth, which I'm assuming is needed to mine the large mineral deposits.
ImageImage

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:09 am

STALKERS KEEP STEALING MY FUCKING CAMERAS FUCK OFF YOU SHITFUCKERS!

In other news, the Seamoth is fun as fuck.
ImageImage

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:08 am

I rammed a Stalker to death with my Seamoth and another one immediately showed up and started being a dick. I built my Moonpool on top of the dead one though, which seems to have made them fuck off for good.

Also, I'm staying the fuck away from the Aurora for a while. I ran into a Reaper near the kelp forest next to it. :flail:
ImageImage

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:11 pm

There is a way into the Aurora. It’s not particularly hidden but it may take some hunting just cuz the wreck is so big. You probably have plenty of projects to work on already. :wink:

I’ve got my Deeper Base up and functional, got a moonpool in both bases, and I have a wonderfully creepy screenshot that’ll make a great time capsule for someone. By now I’m very nearly as far as I got in early access, so I’m starting to see a few new sights and the challenge is ramping up.

Maybe for now I’ll just decorate my base a little more.

It’s safer here.

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:53 am

Update: I've been to the floating island, though I haven't fully explored it since I never found the rendevous point, so I'm going to have to go back there at some point. I've also found the alien gun, but as soon as I tried to disembark, my Seamoth fucking vanished and I had to reload my save. Not that it was a huge loss of time given my save cycle, but it was extremely annoying. I'm going to end up going back soon, because I need to find some Magnetite, and it apparently has some.

God, I hate searching for this fucking mineral so much. First, it's not clear what it looks like, so I have no idea what I'm looking for compared to, say, lithium, which is a big, blocky thing on the wall. Second, I haven't seen anything that could resemble it at any depth I've been able to explore. Finally, any depth below 200m is full of murderfish that I have no idea how to deal with (though I just got access to decoys, so maybe those will even the score?)

I've also been to the Aurora, which I think I have to go back to as well. I was reading the SA thread and apparently all the pieces for the Prawn Suit are located in the cargo hold. I don't need to access the Captain's Quarters, though: I just looked up the code online because I'm bad. No idea where it is, but I'm sure it'll turn up eventually. Fuck the developers if they thought you'd want to go all the way back to a place you already explored the fuck out of on your first visit. Also, funny aside: my Seamoth got beached on the hull and it took me ramming into it with the Seaglide repeatedly to dislodge it and scoot away. I assume all the noises and screenshaking around that area are from Leviathans?

In my quest for more minerals, I decided to decommission my secondary base and my Moonpool and moved to the Mushroom Forest, which took a fair bit of time. But now I've got a base that isn't just a series of tubes, but a biggun with multiple levels and rooms and shit, in a peaceful biome with tons of minerals and salt around.

Finally, I built myself a Cyclops. I knew this thing was massive, but god DAMN, is it huge. It's so big that it can't fit into the Moonpool, which is upsetting because now I'm wondering how the fuck I'm going to keep this thing powered. I'm going to use it to return to the alien island once I've fully explored the floating island.
ImageImage

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:22 am

That game sounds way too scary for me.
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:55 pm

I found magnetite, the game is good now.
ImageImage

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:18 pm

I watched Pat and Liam's (of Super Best Friends) old LP of the original NieR because I wanted to experience it after playing Automata but have heard the gameplay itself was pretty lacking and now I think I want to get a copy of my own even if I never actually play it myself, but just to own it.

Automata made me a Yoko Taro fan, I guess!

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:24 am

Spent all day today gathering materials for a better base. Goon recommendations pointed to a spot with a view of the Aurora's thrusters, next to a volcanic vent where a bunch of biomes meet. Not too bad of a spot, though there's not really anywhere for the Cyclops to park.

Doesn't matter, though; the Cyclops is more of a means to declare "this is where I'm doing stuff currently." Which is why I parked it near the entrance to the Jellyshroom Caves, where I found my magnetite and set up a neat little base:

It's basically a scanning station with a dock and a reactor, not really meant for any long-term stays. I'll only be going there when I need magnetite, then I'll be scuttling off to wherever I was previous. Cool view though.

My next goal is to establish a base in the Sparse Reef looking for rubies, as I'm going to need a bunch of those going forward, along with gelsacks so I can make Aerogel.

Edit: One more shot, this time of the volcanic vent:
ImageImage

Mad Surge
Who put sparkles all around me?
Semper Pie

Post by Mad Surge (?) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:42 am

DarkMatter wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:18 pm
I watched Pat and Liam's (of Super Best Friends) old LP of the original NieR because I wanted to experience it after playing Automata but have heard the gameplay itself was pretty lacking and now I think I want to get a copy of my own even if I never actually play it myself, but just to own it.

Automata made me a Yoko Taro fan, I guess!
Enjoy all the things you didn't catch while playing Automata! :-D
Image Image Image

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:01 pm

Quanta wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:24 am
Spent all day today gathering materials for a better base. Goon recommendations pointed to a spot with a view of the Aurora's thrusters, next to a volcanic vent where a bunch of biomes meet. Not too bad of a spot, though there's not really anywhere for the Cyclops to park.

Doesn't matter, though; the Cyclops is more of a means to declare "this is where I'm doing stuff currently." Which is why I parked it near the entrance to the Jellyshroom Caves, where I found my magnetite and set up a neat little base:

It's basically a scanning station with a dock and a reactor, not really meant for any long-term stays. I'll only be going there when I need magnetite, then I'll be scuttling off to wherever I was previous. Cool view though.

My next goal is to establish a base in the Sparse Reef looking for rubies, as I'm going to need a bunch of those going forward, along with gelsacks so I can make Aerogel.

Edit: One more shot, this time of the volcanic vent:
This game looks pretty
ImageImageImageImage

Highbrow Dash
But why would you post such a thing?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:06 pm

I'm still playing Monster Hunter 4U, and I'm currently terrified of the G2 Stygian Zinogre + Brachydios mission :flutterdear:

Mechanical Ape

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:14 pm

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:01 pm
This game looks pretty
It is! :allears: But it can also be horrifying depending on your fondness or lack thereof of arthropods and seafood. As we all know from the spider thread, one person’s :3: is another person’s :qaugh: . Nevertheless as you explore deeper in this alien sea, you’ll encounter some really weird flora and fauna. And then you realize you’ve been swimming right over them the whole game and you didn’t even know they were down there.

My office may be closed tomorrow because of snow, so I’ll post some of my own screenshots without giving away too many mid- or late-game spoilers.

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:22 pm

It sounds like something I'd really be into, especially since I'm really into deep sea bases and other stuff like that, so cozy.
ImageImageImageImage

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:41 am

i have still yet to play a hat in time, but some of these mods look pretty cool

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:14 am

Just got the drill and grapple arms for the PRAWN suit, so the Christopher Johnson will soon be ready to travel into the deep places of the world! :yay:
ImageImage

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:15 am

New theme song for KH3

Ans the longer trailer with more gameplay footage and a new world revealed. This game is going to be so good

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:21 am

So I guess Marluxia and Vanitas are the latest True Org members? :ponder:
ImageImage

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:40 am

Raise your hand if you kept confusing the two Tangled portraits for Road to El Dorado.
ImageImageImage