General gaming superthread

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Re: General gaming superthread

Post by Madeline (?) » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:10 am

My brother gifted me Hollow Knight on Steam when it was on sale. So of course I had to start over from scratch on a game that I couldn’t beta because I can’t stop myself from playing it. Team Cherry have made digital crack disguised as a Metroidvania, send help plz :-I

I’m doing better this time, though. Got to Hornet in about 2 hours and beat her on the first try. Everything at the start feels so slow and weak now, compared to endgame enemies and bosses.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:16 pm

Hey Switch-havers, the online service starts tonight. You can get it cheaper than $20/year if you join in on a family plan, one of which I'm organizing. Send me the email associated with your Nintendo account and, once you click a confirmation link from Nintendo, you're in.

It gets cheaper per person depending on how many are in the "family" ($17.50 for two, $11.66 for three, $8.75 for four, etc.). Depending on how many want in on this, I'll get back to you with your share, which you can PayPal to me.

Clarification edit: I'll buy into the subscription at the end of the week-long trial period. I'll calculate the price then and send around for it.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:07 am

I'd go for it, but I'm pretty sure the family sharing is going to be region locked.

Spyro Reignited's trophy lists are out, and they kind of speak to Spyro 3 being rushed a bit - most of 1 and 2's are things that could be considered skill points, but most of 3's are for things that are required to beat the game or to get 100% collection. There are some exceptions, but less than I would have thought.

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:34 am

Tempered Deviljho day! :ponydrugs:
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:42 pm

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:17 am

Undertale Switch version spoilers:
Even if you don't plan on rebuying on Switch, looking up a video of the new boss fight is well worth it for seeing another character find a body that they're happier with. :flutterunsmith:

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:50 am

Speaking of the Switch, if you activated the 7-day free trial when it was first available, make sure to turn off automatic renewal this weekend! Nintendo charges you two days before your subscription runs out for your next subscription period, and since the free trial has you sign up for the monthly subscription, most likely you either want to get the annual subscription instead or get on someone's family plan.

The monthly subscription adds up to $48 per year. There really is no point to it vs. $20 per year for the annual subscription, unless you plan to keep it for no more than four months a year.

Highbrow Dash
But why would you post such a thing?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:49 am

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:50 am
Speaking of the Switch, if you activated the 7-day free trial when it was first available, make sure to turn off automatic renewal this weekend! Nintendo charges you two days before your subscription runs out for your next subscription period, and since the free trial has you sign up for the monthly subscription, most likely you either want to get the annual subscription instead or get on someone's family plan.
:bluh: This is so sleazy, you just know a lot of people are not gonna bother changing their settings and they'll end up paying monthly.

I'll probably end up picking a subscription too, eventually, but for now I think Splatoon can wait. I really don't like that they're making us pay for peer to peer and save backups (which wouldn't even be needed if we could back them up to an SD card).

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:22 am

Highbrow Dash wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:49 am
I'll probably end up picking a subscription too, eventually, but for now I think Splatoon can wait. I really don't like that they're making us pay for peer to peer and save backups (which wouldn't even be needed if we could back them up to an SD card).
I tried adding Venusy's email address and it worked, and from surfing SA and other sources I haven't heard anyone saying that the family subscription doesn't work cross-region, so I could add you too.

As a bonus, the exchange rate is in your favor right now. Both euros and pounds are worth more than the dollar.

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:20 pm

Fizzbuzz is a dad to us all.
ImageImage
Image3DS Friend Code: 2852-6885-2752

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:39 pm

Aramek wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:34 am
Tempered Deviljho day! :ponydrugs:
Fuck I need to be HR50 to even do this.

And I'm 40.

I have to grind 9 levels, just to fight HELL PONY to get to 50.

God damn it.

ixnay
The Great and Powerful Trixsters

Post by ixnay (?) » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:26 pm

congrats to Venusy for joining the 6-digit xbox gamerscore club :pinkietoot: :pinkietoot: :pinkietoot:

Highbrow Dash
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:11 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:22 am
I tried adding Venusy's email address and it worked, and from surfing SA and other sources I haven't heard anyone saying that the family subscription doesn't work cross-region, so I could add you too.
I'd take you up on that but honestly I'm about to move anyway and I don't know how often I'll be able to play after that. Maybe later on, when things settle down a little :pinkieshrug:

RudeCyrus
nightmare eyes
Rainbow Racers
Patreon supporter

Post by RudeCyrus (?) » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:49 pm

Mechanical Ape wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:00 am
Telltale's Walking Dead: The Final Season! :party:
This post has aged poorly.

theGECK
People don't "become an adult", they just get too old to be called a kid
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by theGECK (?) » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:40 pm

I saw that it was cancelled and thought I should feel sad, then I realized that I didn't buy it, or the one before it, and even when I had the one before that I only played it out of a sense of obligation.

I guess Telltale was a one-hit wonder, they just reskinned it a bunch of times.

Still want to play the Sam-N-Max series though.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:53 pm

There was a time when I'd look forward to every new Telltale release, but I reached the burnout point somewhere around Wallace & Gromit or Back to the Future. I never got into TWD, and while some of the later games they've made are in my library, I haven't bothered starting them up. (Even though I know I probably should play Tales From The Borderlands at least).

They really did go for too many licenses at the same time, with the tricks showing through more and more, topped off with an aging engine and a constant stream of games meaning a constant stream of crunch for employees. With the stuff that's come out following the bankruptcy, all my sympathy is with the employees and none with the company - especially with the employees who were hired and relocated last week (as execs must have known that the company was going under), and the shell of the company that remains trying to finish TWD rather than pay employees. (This might be alright if they said that all profits would go towards severance for employees, but they haven't)

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:02 pm

RudeCyrus wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:49 pm
Ape will remember that.

Highbrow Dash
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:08 pm

TWD s1 was great because you weren't really sure how much of an impact your choices really had, and ultimately the fact that they didn't alter the plot much didn't really matter since they let you shape your character and his relationships with the rest of the cast. It was good. And then they tried to make a dozen more of those but the cat was out of the bag already.

Just play Alpha Protocol imo.

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:34 pm

RudeCyrus wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:49 pm
:fluttersmith:

In my headcanon Clem kills all the zombies in the world personally and then settles down on a farm with lots of big cuddly alpacas. :flutterunsmith:

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:39 am

There was that one science video about the mathematics of TWD's zombie apocalypse and worst case scenario humans would still win after about a year.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:24 am

Nintendo says that, if you let your Switch subscription expire, the cloud save grace period is six months. Previously there'd been concern that Nintendo would delete them immediately when the subscription lapsed.

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:35 pm

I've never really -enjoyed- telltale's games. I liked Sam And Max okay but thought the puzzles were lacking, which I guess shouldn't be a surprise since they seemed to try to remove as much gameplay as possible from their later games :v:
ImageImageImageImage

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:02 pm

I never played TWD because I hate the comic and the TV shows, but I did play Sam & Max and their Strong Bad game. I have BTTF on my PS3 but I never got around to playing it :v:

I don’t like zombie media much, in general, though.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:26 pm

The only one of Telltale's games that I ever played was Poker Night at the Inventory. It makes me wonder now if getting the TF2 items out of it still works.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:42 am

Huh. I’m not sure. You could probably make some money off of that if you could get any of those items, assuming you can still sell hats. :ponder:

Also I wonder how people are able to do hitless runs like this one

I can’t even beat any of the regular super bosses, much less do them hitless :-I

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:16 am

Madeline wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:42 am
Huh. I’m not sure. You could probably make some money off of that if you could get any of those items, assuming you can still sell hats. :ponder:
The Poker Night items are flagged and can't be re-sold. Some of them have other versions from pre-orders of Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse, which can be re-sold.

Also I just found out that Poker Night 2 got delisted two weeks ago with no official word, so hope no one wanted to play that if they hadn't already. :-I

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:14 am

I've actually always wanted to try 2. Oops. :v: Maybe a friend has it and I can familyshare it.

EDIT: Unless you mean it was delisted from the library too, in which case, :-I
Image /// Image /// Image

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:24 am

Checking my Steam library, it's still there for now. Presumably, it'd also be in my Xbox download history too, but it's not backwards compatible on Xbone so I can't check that.

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:16 pm

Pretty sure third parties on Steam aren't allowed to stop people from re-downloading games they've bought. Otherwise we'd have seen it happen way more often than it has. I think it's only happened once, in fact, for an online-only game whose servers shut down.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:11 pm

Pocket wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:16 pm
Pretty sure third parties on Steam aren't allowed to stop people from re-downloading games they've bought. Otherwise we'd have seen it happen way more often than it has. I think it's only happened once, in fact, for an online-only game whose servers shut down.
This is why I can still play Rhythm Zone, even though the game/rights have been lost to the aether.
ImageImageImage Very math.

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:18 pm

Perrydotto wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:14 am
I've actually always wanted to try 2. Oops. :v: Maybe a friend has it and I can familyshare it.

EDIT: Unless you mean it was delisted from the library too, in which case, :-I
To my knowledge, they've never actually removed a game completely from everyone's libraries.
ImageImage
Image3DS Friend Code: 2852-6885-2752

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:34 pm

yeah a lot of the time when something's gonna be delisted it comes with a "hey buy this quick before it's gone forever!" announcement and often a sale, cuz once it's in your library you have it but you'll miss the window to buy it

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:10 am

Is Darkspore still in people's libraries following the servers for that being shut down?

I think there are only a few cases where games have been removed from libraries on any of Steam/PS/XB, but I'm also pretty sure it has happened before for legal challenges as well as server shut downs. Otherwise, yeah, it's unavailable for purchase but still in libraries - it's just in this case, there was no warning.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:17 am

Venusy wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:16 am
The Poker Night items are flagged and can't be re-sold. Some of them have other versions from pre-orders of Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse, which can be re-sold.

Also I just found out that Poker Night 2 got delisted two weeks ago with no official word, so hope no one wanted to play that if they hadn't already. :-I
I hadn’t ever played the Poker Night games (or TF2) and it shows! :-I

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:58 am

Venusy wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:10 am
Is Darkspore still in people's libraries following the servers for that being shut down?

I imagine starting it up is just pointless, though.
Image /// Image /// Image

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:16 am

Yeah I imagine you'd get to see the login screen and that'd be that.
Madeline wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:17 am
I hadn’t ever played the Poker Night games (or TF2) and it shows! :-I
I had to check the TF2Wiki for that post - largely because the first item I checked in my inventory was the Lugermorph, not realizing that I had the Devil's Playhouse promo version (which can be sold) rather than the Poker Night version.

Speaking of games being delisted, the Xbone version of Forza Horizon 2 is going as of Sunday. The game was on Games With Gold last month, so a lot of people will still have access to the base game that way - but all the DLC is being delisted as well, which wasn't included with the Games With Gold version (some credit to MS here: they at least made some of the car packs free as well, although Storm Island and the Porsche expansion are still paid).
Unsure if the 360 version is affected, but the guess is that Microsoft only paid for four years on the music licensing and I don't see a reason why they'd have different music tracks. (But the 360 didn't get the DLC, and that's the important part, since the base game would still be accessible via disc)

ixnay
The Great and Powerful Trixsters

Post by ixnay (?) » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:07 pm

All Forza games have been pulled digitally (including all DLC) after 4 years since FM3 back in 2013, it has to do with their car licenses.

At least for the last few games they've given plenty of warning and have been giving the game out through GWG; for FM3 & 4 everything just disappeared without any sort of announcement.

To get all the achievements in FM4, I had to buy a code from Amazon for the Porsche expansion a month or so after it disappeared from the store.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:23 pm

If the makers are going to scrap their servers altogether, it'd be nice to see them sell their server software to fans but in a modified form that explains that this is not an official server when you login.

A bit like how there are illegal WoW servers you can tap into if you don't want to pay subscription and/or if you're a huge nerd who wants to play a specific historic version of the game. If the company isn't supporting the game at all, what do you have to lose for floating the server software to the gamersphere?
👉👉🥜🏠

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:26 pm

It's got something to do with copyright and stuff, like "if they let these people run private servers they lose possession of the IP" or something like that. Copyright law is weird and bad
ImageImageImageImage

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:45 pm

Venusy wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:17 am
Undertale Switch version spoilers:
Even if you don't plan on rebuying on Switch, looking up a video of the new boss fight is well worth it for seeing another character find a body that they're happier with. :flutterunsmith:
I finally made it to the point where I could do that fight today. It was fun! I enjoyed the implementation of the dual analog sticks for the fight.
And I'm happy that character is on the way to being the them they want to be. :allears: