General gaming superthread

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Re: General gaming superthread

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:41 am

Maybe someday people will get tired of paying more money for crates in games they've already paid money for? :thunk:

!saak
๐ŸŽœ joie de vivre ๐ŸŽœ
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:42 am

Yeah that was meant to be sarcastic lol.

Mad Surge
Who put sparkles all around me?
Semper Pie

Post by Mad Surge (?) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:06 am

About time we got sick of lootboxes in general :bluh:

On much better news: the Indivisible backer preview is out on Steam! :-D
Image Image Image

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:02 pm

I love the negative 148 thousand rating on that official response :-I
ImageImageImageImage

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:51 pm

Does EA still permaban people from Origin for posting negative comments about their games on other websites?
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:48 pm

Pocket wrote: โ†‘
Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:51 pm
Does EA still permaban people from Origin for posting negative comments about their games on other websites?
as far as I could tell that went away when the CEO changed a couple years back :pinkieshrug:
ImageImageImageImage

Captain Rufus
Faithful Students

Post by Captain Rufus (?) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:23 pm

Ea killed Origin Systems. That alone can never be forgiven. But I've been playing Autoduel on an Atari 130xe with a composite monitor so I maaaay be biased.

RudeCyrus
nightmare eyes
Rainbow Racers
Patreon supporter

Post by RudeCyrus (?) » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:35 am

I finished Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. I can't recommend it enough. I love this game and what it does.

For those of you who don't know, the game is about a Pict woman named Senua, who travels through the underworld to save her lover's soul. The twist is that Senua suffers from psychosis: she hears voices and hallucinates frequently, so it's difficult to tell if the things she sees and does are real. Normally, exploration of mental illness in video games is a minefield: most depictions range from "jabbering comic relief" to "hulked-out monster" and none of it is subtle. Thankfully, Ninja Theory did their research, collaborating with psychiatric experts and psychosis patients. The result is an unsettling, realistic portrayal of the disease, with Senua painted as a victim of more than just her illness. The voices are ever-present (just like in real life), frequently speaking over and contradicting each other. What starts out as merely distracting becomes disturbing, as these voices will -- almost gleefully -- disparage Senua's efforts and see her failure as a foregone conclusion. I don't suffer from psychosis, but I do know what it's like to have a voice in your head tell you everything you do is worthless.

Despite being based on Celtic and Norse mythology, the game's story is ultimately a human one. Remember, this is during a time where schizophrenia and other disorders were seen as curses. As a result, Senua did not have the happiest life, and it's the unraveling of her backstory that forms the core of the game. Sure, you fight monsters and learn about the Norse gods, but that's not what's important. What's important is how this disease has affected Senua and those around her. This is a story about loss and death. It's about fear and zealotry. It's about confronting the unknown. It's about abuse and suffering. It's about letting go.

It also shows what developers can do when not constrained by publishers. Ninja Theory has made a damn fine game that wouldn't have happened if the likes of EA or Activision had sunk their claws into it. I hope the success of this one will encourage other developers to follow suit.

In case I haven't made it clear: You owe it to yourself to play this. I don't say that about many games.

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:12 am

I'm 8 hours into Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth and it's already much more enjoyable than Next Order for me, though I guess it's because it's a turn-based JRPG and not an open-world game. Still grindy, but not nearly as bad as Next Order was. The Digifarm also lets me train Mons passively, so I don't have to grind so much, which is pretty great.
ImageImage
Image3DS Friend Code: 2852-6885-2752

Captain Rufus
Faithful Students

Post by Captain Rufus (?) » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:43 am

I got some time for Mordheim. It's good but if you aren't familiar wth tabletop Games Workshop stuff and know how the weird interface works and that the game is semi Roguelike you aren't gonna have a good time. It's a squad based sRPG but semi random character advancement and looting is a must as your patron in game demands more and more green stones on the ground while your dudes are busy trying to not die horribly or fall in battle where they then get the chance to lose all their gear and suffer injuries that both cost money, time, and weaken them. It's kind of a mercenary simulator except your mercs are scavengers.

Angel Beat
~ Space, the final frontier. ~
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Angel Beat (?) » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:34 pm

!saak wrote: โ†‘
Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:55 am
Welp,

I was pretty interested in Need for Speed Payback and was considering picking it up at a discount at some point.
That was before I found out that there's no open-ended cop chases while freeroaming, no actual online freeroam and microtransactions.

But what really did the game in for me was how the microtransactions have pretty much gutted the way upgrading your car works.
Performance parts are no longer parts, rather they're "speed cards" that you use for your car's different "performance slots". Different speed cards have different perks.

You get these cards from winning races, or through "shipments" (lootboxes) that you either periodically get or can buy with real world money.

Now what's really insidious is that you can't use the same upgrade for multiple cars. So every time you wanna fully upgrade a car you have to either grind races in hopes of getting specific cards, or you have to use microtransactions.

Yeah there's parts shops, but they change their stock every 30 minutes, so you have to drive around the map and pray that you'll find that part you're after.

Absolute garbo :-/
In other words, it's moer like Need for Speed: Paycheck.

:-P :fluttersmith:
New signature pending.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:52 pm

I miss the Juiced series and would like to see them make a comeback. I think they could blow NFS out of the water if this is how EA are working it now.

Juiced didn't have the looks or the free roam chases like the NFS series had. What juiced did have was a rock solid career mode. Where NFS was always quite easy on the player, trying to make things cool and exciting without much real challenge, juiced was more about putting you and your virtual car through a real trial. Damage was expensive, and you could bankrupt yourself out of the career mode. The game often had races where you'd race for pink slips: winner takes both cars, loser leaves without their wheels. The game had a mechanism that would detect if you tried to switch off your console during the race, forcing the losing result if you did so. I think that shows the kind of game they were going for here: no mercy. It was such a huge achievement just to progress in one of these games.

I'd like to see a modern Juiced.
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฅœ๐Ÿ 

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:07 pm

If they put traffic on the streets but still made you pay for totalling your car, well that'd just be the Dark Souls of street racing games.
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฅœ๐Ÿ 

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:31 pm

Gloomy Rube wrote: โ†‘
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:02 pm
I love the negative 148 thousand rating on that official response :-I
It got down to to -680,000, shattering the previous Reddit record of -24,000, which was from a guy who literally asked for as many downvotes as possible.

Someone did the math and found that it would take 4,528 hours or $2,100 to unlock all the content in Battlefront II. :starity:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:30 pm

4,528 hours of fun for only $60? That's high value!
ImageImageImage

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:50 am

ea listened to complaints and reduced the point cost of most items by 75%, including darth vader and the ewok that's sad in return of the jedi.

they also reduced all point rewards by 75% too
ImageImageImageImage

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:54 am

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:50 am
ea listened to complaints and reduced the point cost of most items by 75%, including darth vader and the ewok that's sad in return of the jedi.

Thus changing actually nothing and just trying to badly fix a PR disaster. :flimflam:
Image /// Image /// Image

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:57 am

thaaaaaaat's marketing
ImageImageImageImage

!saak
๐ŸŽœ joie de vivre ๐ŸŽœ
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:49 am

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:50 am

This is not entirely true tho, they've reduced the reward you get for completing the single-player campaign by 75%, not all rewards you get.

You gotta shit on the system but you also gotta have the right info to aim properly :-P

!saak
๐ŸŽœ joie de vivre ๐ŸŽœ
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:52 am

What is true is that there's a cap on how many credits you can get by playing the Arcade mode. The game has a f2p system that makes you wait for hours until you can earn again. This is supposedly to stop people from exploiting the system but really it's just there so that their economy doesn't get fucked up.

!saak
๐ŸŽœ joie de vivre ๐ŸŽœ
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:29 am

An EA Developer who claimed to have received death threats over the issue may not even work for EA: https://kotaku.com/the-curious-case-of- ... 474458/amp

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:58 am

Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:29 am
An EA Developer who claimed to have received death threats over the issue may not even work for EA: https://kotaku.com/the-curious-case-of- ... 474458/amp
Sounds like some guy wanted to pretend he had his dream job and suddenly all the lies caught up with him and blew up in his face.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:41 am

Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:49 am
This is not entirely true tho, they've reduced the reward you get for completing the single-player campaign by 75%, not all rewards you get.

You gotta poo poo on the system but you also gotta have the right info to aim properly :-P
They also reduced the random rewards you get from the loot boxes though :-I
ImageImageImageImage

!saak
๐ŸŽœ joie de vivre ๐ŸŽœ
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:19 pm

Oh really? IWhere'd you get that, if that's the case then lol

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:37 pm

Ah, nope, looks like you were right, I misread the reward from the lootbox thing as being from a random one, not the one you get when you complete the campaign. No one seems to know if they changed regular loot box rewards yet but FOR NOW I'll assume they didn't
ImageImageImageImage

Diamondheart

Post by Diamondheart (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:07 pm

As much as I liked Bioware, I'm cool with never purchasing another EA game. Doubly so since the Mass Effect series is probably done completely now (oh come on Andromeda wasn't THAT bad, just mediocre).

!saak
๐ŸŽœ joie de vivre ๐ŸŽœ
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:15 am

So Bob Iger, CEO of Disney, reportedly had a phonecall with the EA's CEO Andrew Wilson about Battlefront II.

Now they've "temporarily disabled" microtransactions.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:48 am

I can't actually remember when I bought a new EA game (or any new game from a major publisher). Online-DRM and microtransactions are such a turn-off for me that pirating the games isn't worth the effort.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

!saak
๐ŸŽœ joie de vivre ๐ŸŽœ
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:01 am

I think my last EA game is Need for Speed 2015? And that was "okay" at best.

Meanwhile I've been trying to get Need for Speed: High stakes, from 1999, running on my system :party:

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:00 am

The last EA game I bought was Mass Effect 3.

I WOULD buy NHL '18, but they're not making it for Switch. :mad:

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:55 am

perhaps the only EA game i've played is harry potter quidditch world cup for the gamecube. it belonged to my brother

ixnay
The Great and Powerful Trixsters

Post by ixnay (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:15 am

I havenโ€™t bought a new EA game in a while, but I pay them $30 a year for EA Access so I can play a bunch of their older games

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:30 pm

The last EA game I bought "new" was Mirror's Edge, which I bought in a Steam sale specifically to see firsthand how bad it was. But I picked up 007 Nightfire for the PS2 at a rummage sale after that.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:31 pm

garden warfare 2 is a good/the best modern ea game
ImageImageImageImage

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:39 pm

Pocket wrote: โ†‘
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:30 pm
The last EA game I bought "new" was Mirror's Edge, which I bought in a Steam sale specifically to see firsthand how bad it was. But I picked up 007 Nightfire for the PS2 at a rummage sale after that.
Mirror's Edge is cool take that back

Angel Beat
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Angel Beat (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:05 pm

ixnay wrote: โ†‘
Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:15 am
I havenโ€™t bought a new EA game in a while, but I pay them $30 a year for EA Access so I can play a bunch of their older games
I got EA Access so I can binge through Mass Effect Andromeda deluxe edition for cheap. :-P

Also, I just took down my first elusive target in Hitman. Feels good. :vogue: Low score because his bodyguard saw me chuck that concealed knife, so I knocked him out. :cheese:
New signature pending.

sharkmafia

Post by sharkmafia (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:53 pm

what kind of giant dumbotron things mirror's edge is bad. its good, ok

also it has the better still alive which i am posting in the VGM thread as we speak

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:07 pm

Weird Autumn wrote: โ†‘
Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:39 pm
Mirror's Edge is cool take that back
I wasn't able to finish it because somewhere in the third chapter or something there was a thing I had to jump to and grab onto but it was missing the grab point trigger thing so I just kept clipping through it and falling to my death. So I can't comment on its coolty.

Also people like to compare the cutscenes to Esurance commercials and that's an insult to whoever animated those commercials.

Angel Beat
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Angel Beat (?) » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:57 pm

The future according to Plague Inc. Evolved:

New signature pending.

Captain Rufus
Faithful Students

Post by Captain Rufus (?) » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:40 pm

I buy EA games. But mine are titles for the Atari 800 computer and are on 5 1/4 inch floppy. I think I'm only missing 4-5 titles now. Sadly MULE goes for like 70 and uhh.. no.