Pokemon finally to Switch - moar Kanto, what everyone wanted...

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Re: Pokemon finally to Switch - moar Kanto, what everyone wanted...

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Tue May 29, 2018 11:28 pm

it's a spinoff rpg game with some pokemon go intergration before we get actual gen 8 next year

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Tue May 29, 2018 11:29 pm

it's basically a pokemon yellow remake of sorts, and it looks fun and neat! I'd play it, though I get people maybe wanting to skip it and wait to see what comes out next year

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Tue May 29, 2018 11:50 pm

I'm down for this, honestly. Sure, it's another return to Kanto, but eh, it's been 8 years since HGSS and it's pretty neat to see what it'll look like in actual 3D. And the Poké Ball Plus could possibly get me back into Go?

Saying that, I hope Pokémon you catch here aren't trapped in Let's Go/Go, it'd be neat to transfer them to Bank with their hidden ability.

Aria Genisi
Now THIS is 2021!
Night Mares

Post by Aria Genisi (?) » Tue May 29, 2018 11:58 pm

I haven't revisited Kanto proper since Gen 1 back in the day (Gen 2 and HGSS, as great as they are, don't count imo), and never played FireRed/LeafGreen, and this game looks cute and fun, and idgaf about "oh ew, pokemon go????????" even though I haven't touched Go since it originally came out. so I'm probably gonna get it
and i kinda want that pokeball too

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Wed May 30, 2018 12:48 am

I mean, my big problem with Go was less the simplified mechanics, and more the way it required being always present in the foreground. I need to do other things with my phone, and don't always get a chance to charge it during the work day! (And also, rare things disappearing before it can load the capture screen because I happen to want to play the game on the bus).

These things are less of a problem on a dedicated gaming handheld, although I am curious how Let's Go will work in handheld mode if you don't have the Poké Ball - does it just revert to Go swiping in that case?

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed May 30, 2018 5:48 am

At least Nintendo and TPC are doing something a bit more fresh. If Pokemon Go is even 10% as popular as it was when it dropped (BronyCon 2016 was happening back then, and boy you should've seen how many people played it then), then this'll be one hell of a gateway drug to get people on the Switch.

Was there any word on whether the new mainline game will be coming to the Switch as well, or will Nintendo keep using Pokemon to beat the dead horse that is the 3DS?

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed May 30, 2018 5:51 am

Hopefully it will be handled better than what Niantic did. Why yes, Pokémon Go, I want to wade out into a stagnant pond to catch a Charizard. That couldn’t possibly go wrong :v:

As long as it comes out good and is fun, I’d try it.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Thu May 31, 2018 5:09 pm

I'm curious how levelling is going to work in the Let's Go games - you can see in the trainer battles and some of the wild battles that both levels and CP are present. I wouldn't have thought they'd be able to handle it with the same system as Go where you have to catch duplicates of everything.

More excitingly, the SpaceWorld 97 prototypes of Pokémon Gold and Silver have leaked. I'm not linking to TCRF because they're also hosting the ROMs (which I would advise downloading before Nintendo's lawyers get involved), but these are such rare things to surface after so long. The games are very incomplete, featuring a lot of very different Pokémon (for example: Remoraid originally had a revolver chamber aspect to its design, while Octillery looked more like a tank - finally explaining that evolution line), as well as locations with names like "SILENT".

There's moves in there that would only appear in Gen 3, and it's now clear that the writers of the Trading Card Game had access to some of these pre-release materials rather than making up some of the move names. There's active debug menus (which have made it very easy to grab B/W versions of all the sprites)

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:36 am

I wonder if the leaked ROM was actually leaked by Nintendo. With the Let's Go games clearly meant to appeal to a more casual audience, dropping an ancient ROM seems like a cheap and easy way to generate tons of Pokemon-related hype among the geeks when otherwise they might be disengaged with the brand.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:14 am

It's possible, but unlikely - the narrative I'm hearing is that there was a collector who had acquired a lot of old debug consoles and other things, they passed away, the collection fell into the hands of a small games shop who was aware of the value of what they'd acquired, and other parts of the collection had already been sold off, but they wanted someone that could preserve these games properly.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:38 am

Treehouse footage of Let's Go Pikachu.

- Catching grants EXP to your whole party like gen 7 with the Exp. Share, as well as berries.
- Catching extra large(/extra small?) Pokémon compared to others of their series grants bonus EXP.
- Trainer battles give Poké Balls as well as cash.
- In handheld mode, instead of trying to throw the entire system at the Pokémon, you line the system up with a target and press a button.
- Blue is no longer your rival, it's a new character named Trace. It looks like Game Freak wanted to do the friendly rival thing yet again.
- The Gym Guide at Brock's gym won't let you in unless you show him a grass or water type. I know it's for all ages, but that still seems a bit excessive.
- CP is explicitly a summary of the detailed stats, you can still see the detailed stats on level ups in trainer battles.
- Every Poké Ball Plus comes with a free Mew. (Not mentioned here, but you can't transfer the Mew you can get in Pokémon Go.)
- Online trading/battling is in (Nintendo Switch Online subscription required). Unsure if the GTS is in.
- Go Park replaces the Safari Zone.
- You have to re-catch the Pokémon you transfer from Go.
- There's a warning that Pokémon transferred from Go will have their data permanently altered, presumably because Go only has Attack/Stamina IVs, while Let's Go has the normal ones.
- Not mentioned: how Let's Go to Go transfers work.
- Transferring the Prof. Oak gives candy that boosts stats.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:30 am

I noticed that they said this was specifically based on Yellow instead of just generation 1 in general. You couldn't evolve your Pikachu there unless you traded it into another game first, and while I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case again here, hopefully they'll at least let you evolve Eevee if you pick that version of the game.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:52 pm

I think your starter Pikachu and Eevee can't evolve. However, there are wild Pikachu in Viridian Forest in the Treehouse footage, and those can evolve.
Presumably wild Eevee will be available somewhere around Celadon? Unless those are also in Viridian Forest in Let's Go Eevee.

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:40 pm

I think this is dumb.

And by 'this' I mean using the Go pokeball throwing, that was the worst part of Go :v:
ImageImageImageImage

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:49 pm

I think it's an awesome way to get the kids that like Go but haven't played a mainline game into the rest of the franchise, and if that means we gotta include the pokeball stuff then that's fine with me tbh

I love that these are Yellow remakes as well, because that re-release on Virtual Console was definitely more for diehards and not for kids who didn't grow up with it in any capacity, I hope this gets them excited about gen 1 proper
Image /// Image /// Image

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:01 pm

One thing I do think is rad is the local co-op, that's never been a thing in pokemon up to this point as far as I know.
ImageImageImageImage

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:42 pm

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:01 pm
One thing I do think is rad is the local co-op, that's never been a thing in pokemon up to this point as far as I know.
The Battle Tower and its subsequent incarnations since Emerald have had a doubles mode where two linked players each sent out one 'mon against the random trainers, but that's about it.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:32 am

There was the Entralink in BW/B2W2, but that wasn't as fast to transition into/out of as this is.

I'm sure one of the console Pokémon Rumble games must have had local co-op? But even Battle Revolution didn't allow two humans to take on the Colosseums together.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:21 pm

Trading is finally coming to Pokémon Go, in a way that exclusively seems to benefit family members playing together - or more likely, people with multiple accounts on multiple devices.

Can only trade if you're within 100m of each other, trading costs Stardust (payable by both), you can make the Stardust cost lower by trading with people often and using the gift option to improve your friend status, once per day you can do a special trade (either a mythical Pokémon like Mew, or something that would get you a new dex entry) which costs extra. The max Stardust cost seen so far as 1 million Stardust. IVs are completely re-rolled when you trade, and level is rescaled - to make up for this , you get some candy for the species you received.

But for people with multiple accounts, this seems like a prime opportunity to re-roll some bad stats and get some more candy for the thing in the process, for the cost of some Stardust

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:03 am

Serebii has got to play the first few hours of Let's Go, confirming that held items and abilities are out.

I don't think Let's Go is going to have much of a competitive scene, but I do find it interesting that they're reintroducing some of gen 1's problems while leaving others (the phys/special split remains in place, of course). And if Mega Stones are now used like regular items, does that mean they won't be usable in multiplayer?

Also if you haven't seen it, Pikachu and Eevee get exclusive moves (Pikachu gets a Surf equivalent, Eevee gets BP90 fire, electric, and water moves), and Eevee's at least were starter moves in the demo Serebii played (although that could just have been for the demo)

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:02 am

It looks like Ditto might be getting an evolution of some kind in Gen 8?

No idea if this is the new Pokémon that's meant to show up in Let's Go, or if there's another surprise planned. XD did have both Munchlax and Bonsly, after all.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:22 am

The full games have apparently leaked and have already been datamined to shit:
- We know from the latest trailer that you aren't Red, and your rival obviously isn't Blue. Both end up reprising their GSC roles - in Blue's case for the Viridian Gym rematch, unsure where Red is fought.
- Your starter Pikachu/Eevee is IV and shiny locked - perfect IVs, never shiny
- Chaining the same Pokémon does result in increased perfect IVs and shiny re-rolls.
- Post-game: there's no hidden island/region, you get Kanto and that's it.
- There's a nasty trap for Nuzlocke runners/speedrunners - one of the gyms requires 50 Pokémon registered in the Pokédex. Presumably this is owned rather than seen. Assuming this is one of the later gyms (likely Fuschia, since that's where Oak's aide gave you the Exp. Share if you had 50 registered in RBY), it might be theoretically possible without breaking the rules if you plan your Nuzlocke run from the start with just getting three stage evolution lines... but are you still doing a Nuzlocke run if you're doing that?
- As Serebii suspected, the candy is a flat +1 to the stat regardless of level (maximum candies for one thing: +200, unsure if this is per Pokémon or per stat), and then a friendship bonus is applied to the stat as a whole - which explains how some of the Pokémon in the Master Trainers trailer had stats much higher than can normally be achieved.
- Battle mechanics: despite a lot of things being trimmed, Natures are apparently still present and there's some sort of replacement for Synchronize?
- Editing encounter tables is apparently pretty trivial.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:42 pm

Nintendo stop being a coward and let me start with a misdreavus
ImageImageImageImage

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:50 am

I wasn't expecting to dislike all the (docked) overworld control schemes. :-I

Neither the L or R Joy-Con feel quite right for this. The L one feels good to move around (as long as you use ZL instead of right D-Pad button for select), but the rest of the menu navigation feels off and in my case, it means throwing with my non-dominant hand. While the right one has the menu controls in the right place, but I find it weird doing all movement with the stick in that position.

The Poké Ball Plus is usable in either hand, but the analogue stick feels tiny and awkward and annoying to press in instead of A - and of course, because it's a sphere, the controller has a tendency to get tilted after you've mimed throwing it.
And nicknaming things is harder than it needs to be due to lack of buttons.

Also, regardless of what you're using, the control prompts are for the R Joy-Con only, which seems self defeating in a game about accessibility? (Particularly when some of the menu options using the Poké Ball Plus are only accessible with a shake, and that shake doesn't seem to always work?). Mario Kart - and pretty much every other Switch game I've played with support for multiple kinds of controller - changes the prompts to match what you're using.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:49 am

I had a much better time once I switched to handheld mode only, but everything still felt really sluggish; the overworld takes longer to navigate, battle intros take longer, everything takes a lot more EXP to level up than it did before (I took a level 10-ish Pikachu into the Elite 4, and it was level 23 by the time the credits rolled), catches might be shorter to some people but they're longer than my usual strategy of throwing Quick Balls.

While there's a few minor tweaks here and there, it's safe to say that I've played too many Pokémon games set in Kanto - the only genuine surprise was after the credits rolled:
You get a notification to say that you can now fly anywhere on Charizard, Aerodactyl, and Dragonite. I thought this just meant you could select routes as well as towns when you used Sky Dash (the equivalent of Fly) if one of those was in your party. What it actually means is that they fly high over the map, letting you go places that were previously out of bounds and skip every wild battle and trainer battle you haven't done by that point.
Still, it's not enough; I still plan to trade it in tomorrow for eShop credit for Smash, and maybe I'll rebuy it later if used prices are cheap in the future. It'll be the first Game Freak made Pokémon game in a while where I don't complete the Pokédex.

Momo
THIS IS FINE.
Applejack's Aces

Post by Momo (?) » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:08 am

I'm actually really liking this game. The controls took some getting used to, but I'm to the point now where I actually prefer the TV controls. They've overhauled the mechanics and introduced some major quality-of-life improvements. EV training is no longer the niggly fault-intolerant bean counting venture it once was, and IV reading is baked right in. TMs are infinite-use, and you no longer need to hobble your team with crappy gettin-around-the-map moves. It feels like a much tighter, better-paced game without a lot of that familiar Pokemon jank.

Plus, if you ride around on a Kangaskhan, your partner sits in the pouch. :awesomedash:

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:53 am

A lot of those improvements are from Sun/Moon or earlier, and I'm really glad they get to make comebacks because Gamefreak are kinda notorious for introducing and dropping features seemingly on a whim. I deffo need to play this game, too, for cuteness factor alone. :3:
Image /// Image /// Image

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:35 pm

It is a really good game for lapsed fans since it does benefit from all the quality of life features they've made since Black & White without bogging things down as much with having to teach some of the other mechanics.

Still, one odd omission is Sun/Moon's type effectiveness indicators (I guess they figured people would be able to remember types better with only 153?), and while the lack of abilities in general is a good thing for lapsed fans, if they then go and play a game that has them then they may get very confused by Levitate.

ixnay
The Great and Powerful Trixsters

Post by ixnay (?) » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:33 am

I’ve never sat down and played an actual Pokémon game before (well, aside from Pokémon snap I guess) but since I got the eevee version for my wife for Christmas I’ve been playing it too. This game seems ideal for someone like me that has absorbed 20 years of information about Pokémon through osmosis since I’m having a good time so far!

Momo
THIS IS FINE.
Applejack's Aces

Post by Momo (?) » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:34 am

Anyone interested in doing some trade evolutions? I'm getting to the point in the game where my Machoke ain't cutting it anymore.