Hearthstone Thread: How Long Can This Go On?

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Re: Hearthstone Thread: How Long Can This Go On?

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:19 pm

Octavia wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:55 pm
Rod of Roasting RNG :fluttershock:

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:29 pm

Octavia wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:55 pm
Rod of Roasting RNG :fluttershock:

I've seen one like that but not with that ending. That's amazing :-I
ImageImageImageImage

Marioland1
Magikal Horse

Post by Marioland1 (?) » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:41 pm

Those bots that Gloomy was talking about? The ones with the weird names? Yeah, I fought about 3 of those in a row at rank 22 and 21 (I really don't play enough, so I drop down there when the months change). It gave me a bit of nostalgia tbh, as I really miss cards like Sen'jin Shieldmasta and Yeti. You know, not that either stands a real good chance against Dragon Priest.

I did face a real Warlock though, who I similarly wrecked because of probably the weirdest kink in my Dragon Priest deck: I run 1 copy of Cabal Shadow Priest. He played his Carnivorous Cube to destroy a Voidlord he got from his Skull of the Man'ari, so I countered with my Pint-Size Potion and stole it with the Shadow Priest, thus taking the 2 Voidlords it contained too. When his Skull pulled out another Voidlord and I SW:Pained it on the next turn, he just gave up right there. Poor guy. I kinda feel like I bullied him, but such is the way of the Priest.

Beyond that, all I gotta say is I thought that person would die to that Rod of Roasting there. Wooo RNG!

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:36 pm

If you're playing Cubelock, you have to make sure you are able to destroy your Cubes the turn you play them, or trigger the Deathrattles immediately with Umbra. Cubelock is so popular now that it's made silence effects essential in every deck, so playing a Cube without killing it probably means it's gonna get silenced.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:15 pm

Marioland1 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:41 pm
Those bots that Gloomy was talking about? The ones with the weird names? Yeah, I fought about 3 of those in a row at rank 22 and 21 (I really don't play enough, so I drop down there when the months change). It gave me a bit of nostalgia tbh, as I really miss cards like Sen'jin Shieldmasta and Yeti. You know, not that either stands a real good chance against Dragon Priest.
I face them all the bloopin' time, and I can't figure out what they're even botting for, since there's no trading or anything :-I

Some cards just destroy their AI, though, like for whatever reason, the dragonmaster lady in Mage. Play that, and they don't make any more moves and just end each turn by roping. :pinkieshrug:
ImageImageImageImage

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:37 pm

I've been having a lot of success with Kibler's Midrange Paladin deck. It has no 1-cost minions, to increase the value of Call to Arms, and it runs double Spellbreaker, which is a life-saver against many classes, especially Cubelock.

### Midrange Paladin
# Class: Paladin
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Mammoth
#
# 2x (2) Dirty Rat
# 2x (2) Equality
# 2x (2) Loot Hoarder
# 2x (2) Plated Beetle
# 2x (2) Wild Pyromancer
# 2x (3) Stonehill Defender
# 2x (3) Tar Creeper
# 2x (4) Call to Arms
# 2x (4) Chillblade Champion
# 2x (4) Consecration
# 2x (4) Spellbreaker
# 1x (4) Truesilver Champion
# 1x (6) Sunkeeper Tarim
# 1x (6) Val'anyr
# 2x (7) Bonemare
# 2x (7) Corridor Creeper
# 1x (8) Tirion Fordring
#
AAECAZ8FBM8G+ga5wQK36QIN+wHcA/IF9AX2B5vCAsrDAt/EAqbOAvfQAvjSAvvTAurmAgA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Marioland1
Magikal Horse

Post by Marioland1 (?) » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:59 pm

I sadly have no arms to call with, so sadly not my thing (although I wish I could. Trump was right about call to arms being an unexpectedly good card). Otherwise, that's totally a deck I'd play.

One thing about the bots though: I saw one play a Golden Archmage. I was NOT expecting that whatsoever, but in the end a bot was a bot and Archmage is weak. I just didn't expect a bot (with a normal-looking name, now that I think about it) to play that.
Octavia wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:36 pm
If you're playing Cubelock, you have to make sure you are able to destroy your Cubes the turn you play them, or trigger the Deathrattles immediately with Umbra. Cubelock is so popular now that it's made silence effects essential in every deck, so playing a Cube without killing it probably means it's gonna get silenced.
Or in my case, stolen :amazing:

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:15 pm

My favorite bot thing is when they hover over cards as though they're thinking. Hint: they always pick the card they hover over, it's not fooling me.
ImageImageImageImage

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:09 pm

FYI you can claim your 3 free KnC packs now. Click on the gift next to your battletag in battle.net.

Marioland1
Magikal Horse

Post by Marioland1 (?) » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:45 pm

I snagged them up and told my brother to do the same. I mean, free packs are free packs. There's no reason not to get them if you play. Didn't get much more than the standard Rare and Common fare though.

Marioland1
Magikal Horse

Post by Marioland1 (?) » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:52 pm

Temporus is a bit misworded. It should really say "give your opponent an extra turn, and then give yourself an extra turn" instead of specifying "2 turns". My Temporus just gave my opponent 3 turns in a row when I played him on my second turn after my opponent played Temporus, so he got his regular turn, the extra turn from the first Temporus, then the extra turn from the second Temporus. With the way it's worded, it wouldn't give him a third turn as he already has 2 turns in a row already, which I guess would be the only positive about playing Temporus.

I may have just gotten completely crushed because of those 3 turns in a row, but it was the Tavern Brawl and I have a ton of wins anyways. Besides, SCIENCE had to be done! :twience:

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:19 pm

Hmm yeah they should probably nerf Corridor Creeper :ponder:

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:26 pm

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:06 pm

WEASELS! :twonk:

theGECK
People don't "become an adult", they just get too old to be called a kid
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by theGECK (?) » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:47 pm

Over the last week I realized that I haven't opened Hearthstone for around a month now. And I'm starting to miss it, but I just can't put in the time it needs to play the way that I enjoy playing. :(

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:38 pm

This week's Tavern Brawl is playing National Champion decks against each other in their PRE-NERFED forms. 0-cost Soulfires, 2/1 Leper Gnomes, and worst of all, pre-nerf Undertakers. :terrified:

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:22 pm

Octavia wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:38 pm
This week's Tavern Brawl is playing National Champion decks against each other in their PRE-NERFED forms. 0-cost Soulfires, 2/1 Leper Gnomes, and worst of all, pre-nerf Undertakers. :terrified:
Are we going to deal with one of the many old versions of Release the Hounds or the 1/2 version of novice engineer?? :twonk:
ImageImageImageImage

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:29 pm

LADDER CHANGES :twonk:

Doctor Wheeze
Stare Masters

Post by Doctor Wheeze (?) » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Also, balance changes. Bonemare is up to 8 mana, Corridor Creeper is down to 2 attack, Patches loses charge, and Raza sets your hero power to 1.
......:hatte:
:flutterunsmith:

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:06 pm

Eat shit, Patches

Of course this just means Cubelock is gonna run all over everything :v:

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:25 pm

Why are they nerfing most of those cards right before they go out of standard rotation, instead of doing it when it actually mattered???????????
ImageImageImage

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:46 pm

Davyinatoga wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:25 pm
Why are they nerfing most of those cards right before they go out of standard rotation, instead of doing it when it actually mattered???????????
Give 'em a break, they're just a small, indie company. It's asking too much of them to make changes in a timely fashion! :v:

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:52 am

What cards do you think will be put into the Hall of Fame during the next rotation? I'm assuming they're going to stick to the Classic set and not touch Basic cards, even though I think there are some problem cards in the Basic set, like Stonetusk Boar, which according to Blizzard is the single biggest problem card when coming up with new design ideas. Here's what I think:

100% Going into the HoF:
  • Ice Block. Especially now that there are so many ways to get a 3rd and 4th copy of the spell and the fact that Eater of Secrets is rotating out, there is no chance this card stays in Standard.
Hopefully Going into the HoF:
  • Divine Favor. Aggro decks are plaguing the meta and Divine Favor allows them to just mindlessly play their entire hand, secure in the fact that they can completely replenish it for 3 mana. It encourages mindless play, which is not fun for either side.
  • Doomguard. With all the ways to cheat this card out of your deck or hand, the downside of discarding two cards almost never comes into play. Charge minions are already a huge problem, but a charge minion with 5/7 stats that can be cubed to poop out even more 5/7 charge minions, which can then be Guldan'd to bring out EVEN MORE 5/7 charge minions is just way too powerful.
Possibly Going into the HoF:
  • Edwin Van Cleef. It's way too easy now to get an absurdly huge Cleef really early. It's the reason why this year's HCT Champion won.
  • Alexstrasza. With Ice Block gone, it might not be necessary to get rid of Alex, but pumping out 15 damage in one turn is so much easier than it used to be, so it's still a dangerous card to keep.
  • Gadgetzan Auctioneer. I was shocked it wasn't put into the HoF last rotation. It's still a monster at creating huge turns for Rogue, Druid, and even Raza Priest.
  • Shadowstep. Battlecries keep getting more powerful. Being able to reuse cards like Bonemare, Vilespine, Coldlight Oracle, etc. at a discount gives them even more power. It's also a trigger for two cards already on this list: Cleef and Auctioneer. Add in Valeera DK and you can get a second shadowstep or another copy of whatever minion you just Shadowstepped. It's a snowball card that can have disastrous effects.
  • Inner Fire: Doesn't seem like that big of an issue, but Shadow Visions made Inner Fire much more powerful. Blizzard has a history of destroying big combo decks, so it wouldn't surprise me if it went away.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:44 pm

Commentary by me in bold:
Octavia wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:52 am
100% Going into the HoF:
  • Ice Block. Especially now that there are so many ways to get a 3rd and 4th copy of the spell and the fact that Eater of Secrets is rotating out, there is no chance this card stays in Standard.
You said that last time, and it stuck around :-I I really don't think ice block is as big an issue as it seems, and it's entirely possible they'll give us a new anti-secret card, like when that friendly goblin lady rotated out. I do think it's entirely possible it'll be HoF'd this year, but I wouldn't consider it a guarantee, especially since it seems to have become part of mage's 'flavor'

Hopefully Going into the HoF:
  • Divine Favor. Aggro decks are plaguing the meta and Divine Favor allows them to just mindlessly play their entire hand, secure in the fact that they can completely replenish it for 3 mana. It encourages mindless play, which is not fun for either side. Divine favor is dumb and bad and I agree. It's 3 mana and an aggro deck gets to get lots of cards, especially against a control deck. It's too good a counter against control.
  • Doomguard. With all the ways to cheat this card out of your deck or hand, the downside of discarding two cards almost never comes into play. Charge minions are already a huge problem, but a charge minion with 5/7 stats that can be cubed to poop out even more 5/7 charge minions, which can then be Guldan'd to bring out EVEN MORE 5/7 charge minions is just way too powerful.
Yes, especially since that ooze joined the fray with its ability to spawn two for basically free, since Warlock also has easy self creature kill. The aggro-y cube deck is ridiculously powerful right now, and doubles as both an aggro deck and a control deck at the same time thanks to the recruit cards and the skull.

Possibly Going into the HoF:
  • Edwin Van Cleef. It's way too easy now to get an absurdly huge Cleef really early. It's the reason why this year's HCT Champion won. I would like to see Edwin out, he's either too good or terrible, entirely based on what the opponent's hand is.
  • Alexstrasza. With Ice Block gone, it might not be necessary to get rid of Alex, but pumping out 15 damage in one turn is so much easier than it used to be, so it's still a dangerous card to keep. Alex should have been gone when freeze mage was at its height, imo :-I
  • Gadgetzan Auctioneer. I was shocked it wasn't put into the HoF last rotation. It's still a monster at creating huge turns for Rogue, Druid, and even Raza Priest. Blizzard seems to love this card too much to get rid of it, unfortunately. They refused to HoF it last time and constantly give it only the most minor of nerfs.
  • Shadowstep. Battlecries keep getting more powerful. Being able to reuse cards like Bonemare, Vilespine, Coldlight Oracle, etc. at a discount gives them even more power. It's also a trigger for two cards already on this list: Cleef and Auctioneer. Add in Valeera DK and you can get a second shadowstep or another copy of whatever minion you just Shadowstepped. It's a snowball card that can have disastrous effects. They 100% should either nerf it greatly (giving it a mana cost would be a great step) or get rid of it. Shadowstep is one of the few things in Hearthstone that makes the game start to feel like Yu-Gi-Oh, just sitting there, waiting for your opponent to finish their ludicrously long turn as they drop things, pick them up, drop them, pick them up, draw 20 cards, destroy your board, and have a 30/30 or something left over at the end. :-I
  • Inner Fire: Doesn't seem like that big of an issue, but Shadow Visions made Inner Fire much more powerful. Blizzard has a history of destroying big combo decks, so it wouldn't surprise me if it went away. Inner Fire is part of my least favorite priest decks, and is weirdly aggressive of a card in the priest toolkit. Give us a board clear instead of inner fire imo
ImageImageImageImage

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:57 pm

... I had one of these legendary packs :-I

There's even a golden legendary there!! ... but neither card was one I was particularly wanting, especially since I dislike hunter. Anyone have some hints for making a control-y deck with this new shiny golden card?
ImageImageImageImage

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:06 pm

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:57 pm
Anyone have some hints for making a control-y deck with this new shiny golden card?
This Barnes Hunter Deck or alternatively Brian Kibler's Big Beast Secret Hunter.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:50 pm

If you hate playing against Cubelocks as much as I do, then try out this Spiteful Summoner Priest deck. It beats Cubelocks at least 90% of the time.

### Spiteful Priest
# Class: Priest
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Mammoth
#
# 2x (1) Northshire Cleric
# 2x (2) Netherspite Historian
# 2x (2) Shadow Ascendant
# 2x (3) Kabal Talonpriest
# 2x (3) Tar Creeper
# 2x (4) Duskbreaker
# 2x (4) Spellbreaker
# 1x (4) Twilight Drake
# 2x (5) Cobalt Scalebane
# 2x (5) Drakonid Operative
# 1x (5) Harrison Jones
# 2x (6) Cabal Shadow Priest
# 2x (6) Spiteful Summoner
# 1x (7) Psychic Scream
# 1x (8) Bonemare
# 2x (8) Free From Amber
# 2x (10) Mind Control
#
AAECAa0GBJAHjQimzgLo0AINCJAC8gXyDIK1Arq7AvC7AsrDApnIAsrLAs7MAsvmAtfrAgA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Harrison Jones on turn 5 to counter their weapon is soul-crushing. If they drop a Possessed Lackey without Dark Pacting it, just steal it with Cabal Shadow Priest or silence it with Spellbreaker. Once they start dropping Voidlords, Doomguards, or Rin in the late game, steal em with Mind Control. All the while, you can steal Gul'dans and Twisting Nethers from their deck with Drakonid Operatives and keep the pressure up with huge minions from Spiteful Summoners, Netherspite Historians or Free from Ambers.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:41 pm

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:24 pm

EVERYONE, GET IN HERE! :twonk:

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:57 pm

Hall of Fame Inductees announced for the Year of the Raven!
  • 1. Ice Block (told you so!)
  • 2. Coldlight Oracle (booooo)
  • 3. Molten Giant (reverting back to 20 cost)
Kind of disappointing to not see any of the other cards from my previous post make the list.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:22 am

Preeeetty good Thrall

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:25 pm

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:39 pm

Looks spooky! Hopefully it won't just be worgen and they'll be more free to be spooky compared to the equivalent WoW zone :-I

Also it was really weird to see the Rush keyword added, since I didn't even realize it was new until I remembered that it was Shadowverse that had Rush before, not Hearthstone :-I
ImageImageImageImage

sharkmafia

Post by sharkmafia (?) » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:23 pm

The even/odd effect is interesting and i just typed a bunch of words about it, but to summarize:

-Best odd upgrades are probably mage, rogue, paladin, druid, because the primary advantage of this card over justicar is that the effect happens immediately from the start of the game, and hero powers that don't affect board state more in their upgraded form (warlock, hunter, priest, warrior) are worthless early game. Shaman is disqualified because its upgraded hero power is trash.

-Odd decks are also skewed towards aggro due to the issue that on even turns you will be using your mana inefficiently unless you have 1 drops to fill the gaps. A deck with enough 1-drops to do that consistently is generally going to be aggressive.

-Best even upgrades are probably warlock and paladin. Warlock because 1-mana card draw is pretty amazing, and paladin because 1-mana guy is also amazing. Warlocks that rely on card advantage to win the game will be able to have more of an early game presence because of spare mana available as a result of the cheaper hero power, and notably, many of the important building blocks of classic handlock are even-cost.

-Even decks also don't have as much of a mana inefficiency problem, because you can just forego your hero power and play on curve on even turns. This does lock you out of certain situations where you WANT to use your hero power and still maintain mana efficiency, but it's not nearly as big a deal as the odd drawback.

As such i think the most likely results of these new cards at this point are an even control warlock, and aggressive odd versions of mage/paladin/rogue/druid

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:52 am

You get 70 packs now instead of 50 for preordering :pinkietoot:

theGECK
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by theGECK (?) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:03 am

Hearthstone increased quest rewards, increased the pre-order to 70 packs, changed the ladder...they're really tempting me to come back. :party:

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:49 am

theGECK wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:03 am
Hearthstone increased quest rewards, increased the pre-order to 70 packs, changed the ladder...they're really tempting me to come back. :party:
It's an easy game to come back to without much investment. I've bought a couple expansion preorders and all the adventures, but never spent a dime of real money on packs. Despite this, I still find that my collection is complete enough to make competitive decks.

When I first started playing, I took it seriously and played competitively. I did the grind to legend and made sure I at least hit rank 5 every single month. But over time, I realized I wasn't having fun on the ladder, playing against the same 3 decks over and over again. I have a lot more fun trying out wacky T3 and below decks in casual. If I wait until the last weekend of the month, I can climb to rank 10 in like 2 hours, which is the extent of ranked that I play now. I don't get burned out anymore and it's made Hearthstone fun again.

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:28 pm

Greater Ruby Spellstone's value is too high. Look at this value. The value!!
ImageImageImageImage

theGECK
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by theGECK (?) » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:09 pm

I started playing Hearthstone again. The thing that tipped me over the edge and brought me back in? Hearing that there was a Starcraft-themed Brawl.

Oh Hearthstone, I missed you so much. Eternal's progression felt really really nice but Hearthstone, you just feel so much nicer to play.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:01 pm

Got my 4th golden hero today :pinkietoot: