RUSP: Rainbow Unicorn Sunshine Palace 3: Getting Better Every Day

Where everybody knows your name. (Safe Spaces and Self-Help)

Moderator: Momo

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Re: RUSP: Rainbow Unicorn Sunshine Palace 3: Getting Better Every Day

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:52 am

Princess Flufflebutt wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:04 am
I'm not sure what to do about your family, but as someone who struggles greatly with getting to the creating part, I've found I get most done when I change the scenery. I've drawn more in bars and cafés than in my own home. You mentioned going to the library often, right? Have you considered writing there?
This is a good way to get creative juices flowing. I get most of my writing done at a coffee shop, and even occasionally bring drawing supplies with me so that I can get some art done.

And I know that a lot of other writers and artists say the same thing as well. I think it's because you need to get out of the house to avoid certain distractions.

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:20 am

Perpetual Lurker wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:42 pm
I'm a worthless wannabe of a writer. I hate myself so much.
If at all possible, I'd try to talk about this with people experienced, and ideally professionally trained in dealing with these sorts of feelings. If you can't get to a real therapy session, there are probably online communities/chat rooms well suited to help.

I am not a professional, so I can only speak to my own experiences. I remember struggling with analogous feelings during grad school, and I think any direct advice that helps most people wouldn't have helped me. Instead, my lack of perspective just turned advice like that into more negative self-directed thoughts.

What helped me was learning more about myself and why this was challenging for me, and that I didn't have to define myself by my ability to do this particular challenging thing.

That both freed me to explore my interests on my own terms and to tackle more appropriate challenges.

But again, I am not a professional and I don't know you well, maybe advice from other creative people on how they get their juices flowing is exactly what you need. Someone with experience would be able to help judge that sort of thing and guide you to good perspectives and advice.
ImageImageImage Very math.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:37 pm

I draw rather than writing so I'm not sure how relevant this is. For me the most important thing is drawing in those times when I don't want to. There was a time when the stars had to align and the moon would need to lend me its energy before I could be in the mood to draw. Unfortunately that is still very much the case, but I can do things against the whims of my mood.

I hope this paragraph makes sense because it's the crux of what I'm saying: If I have to be in the right place to create, then I'm less likely to create, and my output can eventually fall below a critical mass where I'm less likely to be in the right place because I'm no longer going anywhere.

To get back again, I draw draw draw. I draw when I'm tired. I draw when I know the picture will suck. I draw when I should be asleep. I draw where I am, even if it isn't the right place. I can't explain why or how, because there's no technique or neat trick. It's just pure volition: I do it.

This stuff is hard and it's not like I execute it flawlessly. It's on and off and it sometimes feels like I'm wrestling with myself. There are long breaks, failures and there's times of bitterness. There's a place where I just want to write this story, my life, where I prove myself right. I want to prove that I can do something that's difficult and that's worthwhile. I want to be the fighter who gets up again after they're knocked down and who goes in again. I want to be the awestruck princess who goes to the ends of the world for their mysterious love. I want to be the driver who has mastered their vehicle such that they can begin to perform with style. There's a place where I feel that the story of my craft, my love and me is not over.

Deep down I know I will always come back to that place. Sometimes when I'm there I'm pleased know I've been making some good progress toward the things I want. Often when I'm there I'm ashamed to be back there, because I've done nothing. I always come back, though. That means something. A lot of the time I'm not there, and I've found it's for the best that I still draw anyway.
👉👉🥜🏠

Perpetual Motion
Enthusiasm makes everything an adventure.

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:17 pm

Another problem that's cropping up right now is that my dad is in really bad shape right now. He's just so busy between two jobs that should be full time that I'm afraid that he's going to burn himself out. He apologized to me today about not being able to talk to or come meet my therapist because he doesn't have the time. I need him on my side and informed on things, but I'm afraid of stressing him out even further. The last thing I want is for my problems to make my family's lives worse. It just makes me feel even more worthless and unwanted.

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:37 am

Perpetual Lurker wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:17 pm
He apologized to me today about not being able to talk to or come meet my therapist
It sounds like you are wanted/worth something in his eyes.

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:05 pm

I know he cares about me. It's why it sucks that my issues are adding to his burden. I get that him caring is preferable to the alternative, but I can't help but feel guilty about both bothering him, and disappointing him.

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:39 pm

In any case, I don't know why I even entertain the thought of making anything. The one-two punch of executive dysfunction and anxiety are just too much. Yeah, I know I'm depressed, and I accept that. But at this point, my only way out is waiting for my medications to work again. Then maybe my inspiration will come back to me.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:57 pm

I gave away my model kits and I’m probably going to throw everything else I own away tomorrow. Nothing is interesting or fun any more. The world is run by shitlords. always has been, always will be. I’m only alive because I don’t want to hurt other people. I’m just going to be running the same awful experiences over and over again in my head for the rest of my life. Which will undoubtedly end with me seeing the extinction of the human race at the hands of climate change and resource scarcity.

What’s the point in doing anything, anyway. All I want to do anymore is sleep, and I can’t even do that right.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:56 am

You need to call a hotline now tell them where you are. No matter how you dress this up it appears on the outside that you are making preparations for your death. I can't do anything to stop you but you need urgent help.
👉👉🥜🏠

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:25 am

You are valuable, Madeline, and you have things you rightfully care about. Those things are worth caring about, and you cannot do that if you give up on yourself. Please be safe, and talk to someone ASAP. Here is the Suicide Prevention Line. They provide a web chat as well.
Image /// Image /// Image

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:08 pm

I talked to them. I still feel completely exhausted and miserable, though. I don’t know what to do, here. I don’t actually have an appointment scheduled with my therapist yet, because she’s moving offices, and I shouldn’t have let people think I did. We didn’t even get a consultation done. She just suggested that I text her to schedule something at the beginning of September. That is a recurring problem I have, where I lie and claim to be fine when I am not, because I feel like I’m just being a useless burden otherwise. Nobody has any time for my problems here at home because they’re all overwhelmed with their own problems. And I can’t use the internet, because virtually anywhere I go on it depresses and upsets me anymore. But I can’t replace it with real life interactions because my hips and lower back hurt so bad lately that I can barely get up to eat and use the bathroom.

I’m sorry. I know I’m a huge disappointment and a failure and I’ve let everyone down yet again.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:48 pm

I know this is "easier said than done" situation, but can somebody else (either your mom or anyone) send the suggested schedule text to your therapist if you have a hard time doing it yourself?

You're not a disappointment. Far from it.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:17 pm

I don’t know, I think I have to do it myself. Might look for someone else but it was hard enough finding this one. I also don’t really feel like doing anything today, I feel awful physically and not just mentally. Been sick all morning and I can hardly walk.

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:32 pm

Ya silly goose! You've not let anyone down! Take a break today, center yourself and text her tomorrow if you're able. You can do this!

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:24 am

Nobody here is disappointed. We know what you deal with, and we know it's not an easy ride with no hitches. You are valued and supported, and you deserve it.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:22 am

I wanted to just get it over with, so I messaged her already. It’s not like I get any sleep anymore anyway when people are always getting me up at any time of day to deal with one crisis or another. I wish they cared that much about my problems but I’m being selfish.

Anyway, I got the answer I expected to get, which is still to try again at the beginning of September, because she isn’t making any new appointments right now due to moving offices.

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:58 pm

I'm so, so tired. Literally. I go to bed at reasonable times, and I sleep long enough, but I'm always falling asleep in the middle of the day and just losing large chunks of my life because of it. I'm doing a home sleep study tonight to see if I have sleep apnea, which would explain my issues. If I come back clear on that, though, then the only remaining culprit would be my medications, and I do not want to deal with having to change those up drastically.

I just want my life back. It seems like so many things are standing in my way of happiness. It's hard to imagine actually making it there.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:21 pm

It's 3AM and I have the opposite problem. I'll go to sleep at a reasonable time but some time in the morning I'll wake up and be ready to go, 100%. I'm currently unemployed but I attribute my sleep issues to the jobs I've had in the past:

Two jobs I worked at had me arrive at 4AM or 4:30AM 6 days a week. My last job gave me a 7PM to 7AM shift 2 out of every 8 days. I went to bed at 9:30PM last night but it's 3AM now and I'm ready to fucking go :twonk: .

It'd be fine if I felt fine, but more often than not most of my days are a weird tired haze.
👉👉🥜🏠

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:29 pm

The hospital staff haven't fully analyzed the results yet, but the lady there walked through a bit of the recording with me to show what they're looking for. Everything looked fine, until I started laying on my back. I toss and turn a lot during the night, and every time I was laying on my back, I had very frequent apnea. More than enough to cause problems. I hope I can get some treatment soon. I'm tired of being tired.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:04 pm

Sleeping on your back is a big factor for apnea. A lot of people only snore if they're lying on their backs, too. I really hope you can get help soon. :hug:

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:58 pm

I’m seeing my regular doctor on Tuesday. I’m hoping she’ll consider putting me on a different SSRI because I keep feeling worse and more depressed with every week that goes by. She didn’t want to change it last month, but I wasn’t suicidal last month.

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:48 pm

I lost the entire day today to fatigue, spending it either too tired to think straight or be productive, or just outright sleeping. And sleeping isn't making me feel any more rested at all. I'm just tired of having to wait for things to happen in my life that I have no control over. Wait for medications to work, wait for a sleep study, wait to transition. I'm helpless and alone, and I hate it so much.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:05 am

Had another unpleasant realization. I look for reasons to avoid making any change in my life because in some ways, I would rather stay stuck in this shitty situation that I know well rather than risk the chance of ending up in a worse or a better one. Couple that with a complete lack of ambition, energy, confidence, and self-esteem, and yeah.

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:55 am

That is so relatable. I have the same bad habit.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:23 pm

Honestly, I think that all of the people who cut me out of their lives were right to do so. I’m toxic because I refuse to ever change or take any kind of risks, even though I clearly need to, and, worse, I know it. And I still try to find reasons not to do the right thing.

I don’t see how this is self-abuse when it’s the truth.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:15 pm

The decision on whom to speak to and when just got taken out of my hands, because I’m being sent to a crisis center.

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:22 pm

Oh jeez! I'm rooting for you!

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:37 pm

You're in my thoughts. Hoping for the best.

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:41 pm

Stay safe, Madeline! I hope you get the help you need.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:01 pm

Thank you, everybody. I’m voluntarily going in for a few days so I won’t be posting or whatnot. I’m sorry.

Factory Factory
nice box
Semper Pie

Post by Factory Factory (?) » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:02 pm

Don't be sorry. This is a good thing. You're going in voluntarily, and that means you are deciding to get well. This is the first step.
There is no guarantee that the wizard selling you that bag full of magic sand is wearing pants underneath his robes.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:48 pm

I can only agree with Factory. You got nothing to apologize for. We're in your corner, and we'll be cheering you on. You haven't given up on yourself, no matter how tempting it might have been - That shows great courage and character. I'm glad you're getting help, Madeline.

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:04 pm

Well, that's it. I didn't get the job I interviewed for. I couldn't manage to land a job that had barely any prerequisites and that I had actual experience for. Did I interview badly? Did my experience just not matter? Who the hell knows, because all I got from them was a letter say that they're "pursuing other applicants" for the position.

I'm trapped, and I don't know the way out. If I can't get a job like this, then what chance do I have at anything else? I'm just a worthless nobody with no skills, no qualifications, and no chance of making it in this world.

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:56 am

Perpetual Lurker wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:04 pm
Who the hell knows, because all I got from them was a letter say that they're "pursuing other applicants" for the position.
This doesn't necessarily say anything about you. Maybe they had someone lined up for the position in advance, etc.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:41 pm

I’m out, and I’m still alive. I don’t even know how to express how relieved and grateful I am to still be here.

I missed all of you so much.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:22 pm

Madeline wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:41 pm
I’m out, and I’m still alive. I don’t even know how to express how relieved and grateful I am to still be here.

I missed all of you so much.
We all missed you, too! Hope the Center did you good! :hug:

Perpetual Motion

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:10 pm

Welcome back! I'm happy to see you're okay, and I hope you're doing better!

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:32 pm

Aaa! I missed you too! It's good to know you're still here and doing better! :hug:

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:58 pm

Thanks, everyone. :flutterunsmith:

I’m doing a little bit better, just taking things one day at a time. The thing that threw me a little is that this summer-long spiral wasn’t entirely the result of my cognitive distortions and poor coping skills. The pharmacy that fills my scripts gave me a different type of fluoxetine from a different manufacturer right around the same time my mom started getting sick. The psychiatrist had them run a bunch of labs on my old pills and on me, and the blend on that batch works so poorly for me that it basically did nothing for me. my doctor’s constant dosage increases over the last two months were just delaying (and kind of dragging out) withdrawal symptoms. :-I So pay attention when your meds change for any reason, and not just for psych meds. She told me that this happens all the time to all sorts of medications, from painkillers to blood thinners.

Also, she couldn’t believe that nobody had tried giving me anything for my PTSD before, so we’re trying Prazosin. I do feel a little less anxious and haven’t had any nightmares or flashbacks for a few days. And I’m not to write any more explorations of my trauma or how I feel about it ever again. Not on this website, not in my diary, not in my recovery journal, not anywhere. Those are the sorts of experiences and emotions that should only be unpacked in session with a therapist, and only when the patient is stable. Most of my Cottsge posts over the years were essentially unwitting self-harm that may well have triggered attacks in others, and for that I am extremely sorry.

I already have the intake paperwork finished and sent on to another clinic in the same network, so I can go over there any time on Tuesday morning and finish the process to get a new therapist as a walk-in without needing an appointment. And once I’m stable (and it’s been at least five months from now), I’ll also get a psychiatrist who can give me a full set of evaluations. This is a huge jump in efficiency and skill compared to the sort of care I got while in college, and I’m much more optimistic about the outcome. There is no limit to how many people I can see in the network apart from how many people work for them, so they encouraged me to keep switching until I find somebody who really clicks with me. And yes, I keep mentioning Tuesday to everyone I tell about this because I want to be held accountable for it, and make sure I do it. I want to keep this process going. I want to learn how to cope better.

I want to be better prepared to handle my illnesses, and I think that the clinic was full of skillful and caring people who did me a lot of good.

TL;DR: I need much better coping skills than the ones I had, and I still need therapy. But I was also in withdrawal for three months because my pharmacy cheaped out on me. Should be getting set up with a new therapist on Tuesday.

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:15 am

That sounds like quite the roller coaster! I'm glad you're doing better and in good hands though. I'm rooting for you! :yay: