S01E07: Dragonshy

Episode, movie, and comic book discussion threads are kept here once they have been released.

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

S01E07: Dragonshy

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:44 am

Dragonshy
Airdate: November 26, 2010
Writer: Meghan McCarthy
A sleeping dragon's smoke disrupts the skies of Equestria and the Mane Six are tasked by Princess Celestia to convince it to leave, much to Fluttershy's displeasure
Last edited by The Doctor on Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diamondheart

Re: Dragonshy - Season 1:Episode 7

Post by Diamondheart (?) » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:00 pm

I'm a Fluttershy fan and all, but...I sorta forgot this episode even existed. :fear:

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:29 pm

I love this episode. Get to see the stare, and I never fail to laugh at...

"But that Rainbow one kicked me..." and that smug nod from Dash.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:56 pm

Diamondheart wrote: โ†‘
Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:00 pm
I'm a Fluttershy fan and all, but...I sorta forgot this episode even existed. :fear:
She had the most humble of beginnings, certainly. On one hand I find some of the stuff that Fluttershy did here (particularly the "scared of her own shadow" bit) to be rather exaggerated, but on the other I know from personal experience that in stressful times even the smallest stuff can cause huge amounts of worry. So, yeah. This was definitely well before the years of growth and experience she had throughout FiM's run.

Diamondheart

Post by Diamondheart (?) » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:57 pm

On a rewatch, I really think it's understandable that one would be afraid of a freaking dragon.

Auxiliatrix

Post by Auxiliatrix (?) » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:53 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote: โ†‘
Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:56 pm
She had the most humble of beginnings, certainly. On one hand I find some of the stuff that Fluttershy did here (particularly the "scared of her own shadow" bit) to be rather exaggerated, but on the other I know from personal experience that in stressful times even the smallest stuff can cause huge amounts of worry. So, yeah. This was definitely well before the years of growth and experience she had throughout FiM's run.
I think it was somewhat of a trend throughout Season One for character personalities to be slightly exaggerated (excluding maybe Twilight, though do correct me if I'm wrong). I'm actually fairly okay with this (so long as it mostly stays contained to jokes and doesn't go too far), as it did help us in growing to learn the attributes of these characters and what they represented.

For me, Season One was always odd because Season Two, and most seasons following Season Two, were tonally different and certainly written different. The gap in emotion, stakes, and general "darkness" between an episode like this and something like "The Return of Harmony" always strikes me as rather large (though the way it is done is brilliant and slow).

"Dragonshy" is an episode I really enjoy, even if it wouldn't make my Top 25 episodes. I liked seeing Fluttershy shine, and honestly this was the episode that cemented my like of Fluttershy. The great thing about many of these early episodes is that they act as "character tests" almost, where I feel that a lot of people's early opinions about each of the Mane 6 are being formed. I had always thought the characters were okay from the start of the first episode, but it took individual episodes (like this one) to prove how much I enjoyed their personalities.

Out of the first 7 episodes, I'd say this is the best one. In fact, I would say this is the best episode of the 1st half of Season One (episodes 1-13).

Life in one image. Interpret as you wish.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:39 am

What still stands out is modern gear like the football helmet and the military helmet from that episode. I know that's a one-off joke but still it's somewhat not really fitting into Equestria.

In Dragon Quest, which also shows Fluttershy's immense fear from dragons at the beginning of that episode, there is this camouflage.

I can't imagine having that in later seasons... Hmmm.... Pinkie's party cannon, Cheese Sandwich's tank... It's still the weirder part of the show design-wise. :pinkieshrug:
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:47 am

Eh, these aren't so bad. If there's any one modern-seeming thing that I consder to be particularly egregious, it's something we'll see in Suited For Success. As it is now we're due to see that next week.

Frith
Princesses of Soul

Post by Frith (?) » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:01 pm

This was the first Fluttershy-centric episode and I think the overall characterization of Fluttershy was done fairly well here. It was undestandable that she was very shy here but at times her shyness was exaggerated (she was suddenly afraid of her own shadow) which bothered me a bit. But the episode also showed that she can be more courageous when she has to defend her friends.

The plot itself (finding the dragon) wasn't particularly interesting. Generally I'm not a fan of adventure stories.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:25 pm

For me this episode characterised Applejack more than Fluttershy. When the other ponies started bickering about Fluttershy holding them back, Applejack just carried her. She's also the one who tried to motivate Fluttershy when Rainbow Dash was saying she should give up and when Twilight was piling on the pressure.

It's like Twilight needs things to be perfectly rational where AJ just needs to get things done.
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฅœ๐Ÿ