S01E20: Green Isn't Your Color

Episode, movie, and comic book discussion threads are kept here once they have been released.

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

S01E20: Green Isn't Your Color

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:34 am

Green Isn't Your Color
Airdate: March 18, 2011
Writer: Meghan McCarthy
Photo Finish, a fashion photographer, hires Fluttershy to be her model. However, Photo Finish ignores Rarity’s dress work. Despite her jealousy, Rarity urges Fluttershy to seize the opportunity.
Last edited by The Doctor on Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Re: Green Isn't Your Color - Season 1:Episode 20

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:42 pm

This episode has always stood out to me for how contemporary it feels vs. the rest of S1. I mean, Suited For Success had that first fashion show, but seeing the way this portrayed the fashion industry made it pretty clear that Equestria wasn't a typical medieval-ish fantasy world. I'm inclined to look back on the pitch bible, had this to say regarding the world:
The world of My Little Pony is not completely unlike ours.[...] Here, our little ponies live similarly to us. They care for their homes and families, have important responsibilities or even jobs, they spend time with friends, they run errands, shop and eat and just generally deal with the day-to-day tasks of living-- only every aspect of their lives has something “pony-esque” about it.
Now and then I still see complaints about bigger cities like Canterlot and Manehattan seeming like they don't belong, like any sort of big city like that shouldn't be in a world like this, but I wonder how much of that sort of feeling comes from typical tropes and expectations of the fantasy genre.