S08E25-26: School Raze

Episode, movie, and comic book discussion threads are kept here once they have been released.

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

S08E25-26: School Raze

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:19 am

When the magic of Equestria mysteriously begins to fail, Twilight leads her friends on a quest for answers, leaving the School of Friendship open to attack from a dangerous mastermind.
This thread is for discussion of this two-parter. Part 1 airs at 8:25am AEST on Saturday, September 8 / 6:25pm US EDT on Friday, September 7 on Boomerang in Australia. Part 2 will air the same time the next day.

Official preview clips and images are okay to post, as is speculation about the two-parter. Spoilers from non-English releases are NOT OK to post.

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Re: S08E25-26: School Raze

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:14 pm

For those who have seen the early release like me cya at the Christmas special.
But...
This one's too young

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:06 pm

2-part finale with a big dumb threat to Equestria.

I just can't get excited for these anymore, and now just sit back and hope Celestia and Luna don't get worfed again. But given the synopsis says magic is being sucked from all Equestria, I'm guessing they're taken out just like everyone else.

Durandal
Faithful Students

Post by Durandal (?) » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:58 pm

so.......does the school burn down or what?

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:09 pm

This mastermind will give everyone HOMEWORK. We will see 42 exciting minutes of our heroes doing algebra over fields (a field in mathematics) and interpreting 2000 years old and nonsensical stories and learning a dead ponish language. Only a perfect score in the final exam can save Equestria!
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Highbrow Dash
But why would you post such a thing?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:21 pm

Durandal wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:58 pm
so.......does the school burn down or what?
We can only hope! :v:

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:26 am

Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

PonyHag714
Here comes the helmet!

Post by PonyHag714 (?) » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:08 am

I thought it was decent, although there's no big surprise who the villains are. I would have expected Neighsay to be more suspicious of Sandbar agreeing with him, knowing he's a friend of the other creatures.

Nice to see the CMC helping out.
Image ("Don't try to reform me, Hag, because I'm made of cold stone.")

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:13 pm

That was a jumbled mess of a first episode.... :pinkieshrug:

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:39 pm

The Doctor wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:13 pm
That was a jumbled mess of a first episode.... :pinkieshrug:
couldn't agree more.

going to wait to fully review until part 2 plays out, though.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:47 pm

How can anyone be the "Empress" of Friendship if they made everyone their enemy? LOGIC!
Also I bet FRIENDSHIP will restore magic in Equestria because of the title of the show.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

PonyHag714
Here comes the helmet!

Post by PonyHag714 (?) » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:56 pm

At least Celestia and Luna didn't get captured or anything like that, although I thought Celly was a trifle "woe is us" about the magic disappearing.

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:36 pm

PonyHag714 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:56 pm
At least Celestia and Luna didn't get captured or anything like that, although I thought Celly was a trifle "woe is us" about the magic disappearing.
It's better than them getting captured, but having their magic sucked away and doing nothing but whining about it is hardly an improvement.

PonyHag714
Here comes the helmet!

Post by PonyHag714 (?) » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:01 pm

I thought the finale was okay. No huge battles or really earth shaking scenes but that's been the trend anyway the last few seasons.

I'm glad the Chancellor came around. I thought he was an interesting character from the start, but his xenophobia made it hard to like him at first.

It's looking like the Student Six may well be the Next Six. And I will give Yona props for standing by Sandbar.

I have the feeling we're not done with Cozy Glow just yet. :flutterdear:

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:09 pm

I did not enjoy this much. Too many characters to try to focus on. CMC were purely plot device and not really used that well.

Neighsay was a complete joke of a character. Can't believe we spent the whole season to come to that.

Cozy Glow.... I don't know. Seems like they really wanted a multi-season villain for once. Need that backstory, even if it's as shitty as Starlight's, to fully judge. Overall the best eps this season were the self-contained ones and not these attempts at an epic overarching plot direction they're tending towards.

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:41 pm

The CMC serving absolutely no role in the plot was probably my biggest disappointment in this episode, especially since they were part of the synopsis.

This finale, was just weird. I know it's a cartoon, but Cozy Glow's plan made absolutely no sense. Empress of Friendship? when your role in everything is easily proven? There was some nice stuff with the students, but overall, this ended up just being a mess with way too much going on.

:twonk: It's the end of the third day, magic is gone and we've failed!

:whyme: How do you know it's the end of the third day?

:twiright: The sun is setting.

:spike101: And how did that happen?

:-I ....

Perpetual Motion
Enthusiasm makes everything an adventure.

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:20 pm

I dunno, I actually quite liked Cozy as a villain. Her whole "friendship is power" outlook almost worked. Everything she accomplished in the episode outside of setting up the initial magic draining ritual involved exploiting the trust the school had put into her as their friend. For a short while, she was powerful. Of course it couldn't have lasted, even if she had succeeded, but she was just a kid. She probably didn't think past her initial success. Frankly, the fact that she posed a threat at all is rather impressive.

In any case, it was a nice change of pace from the typical finale, IMO.

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:00 pm

she's some type of misguided kid. there's potential there but they punted a lot of it to season 9.

as far as dangling plot points, what was the point of her intentionally failing the entrance test in her intro / CMC ep? just to look more innocent? and if her goal wasn't to destroy the friendship school, why leak the friendship lessons to Flim/Flam?

also pretty dumb was the enabler of all this was allowing Tirek to get mail. I mean, really?

Highbrow Dash
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:10 pm

Wayoshi wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:00 pm
as far as dangling plot points, what was the point of her intentionally failing the entrance test in her intro / CMC ep? just to look more innocent? and if her goal wasn't to destroy the friendship school, why leak the friendship lessons to Flim/Flam?
It's not just that, her plot in this particular episode didn't make sense either. She was going to destroy all magic... Just so she could lock the Six Seven in Tartarus? And she wanted them locked up so she could take over the School which she'd then use to take over all of Equestria? What? How? :psygum:

It's a shame cause I liked the episode just fine, I just don't understand the villain's motives at all and I don't think season 9 is gonna help with that :-I

Captain Rufus
Faithful Students

Post by Captain Rufus (?) » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:17 am

I enjoyed it. So it was a short sighted villain plot. Hers was more clever and less obvious than the current US President's is. She got caught and was too hungry for power thus not really thinking it fully through or having any sort of backup plan.

Guess we have one more season to see what happens since I doubt comics ever will be canon and another movie is unlikely especially not a theatrical one. As is FiM has outlasted INTO THREE TRANSFORMERS CARTOONS. Pretty legit run not even counting EqG.

Captain Rufus
Faithful Students

Post by Captain Rufus (?) » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:18 am

Oh. If we count spinoff stuff possibly Five TF shows. But let's pretend those Prime Wars shows never happened.

Highbrow Dash
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:02 am

Captain Rufus wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:17 am

Guess we have one more season to see what happens since I doubt comics ever will be canon and another movie is unlikely especially not a theatrical one.
Well, there's also the Christmas special coming later this year. Not that I'd expect it to be an epic adventure episode.

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:22 am

KISS SAVES SANTA!
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Erythema

Post by Erythema (?) » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:22 pm

They totally should have done this:

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Perpetual Lurker wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:20 pm
I dunno, I actually quite liked Cozy as a villain.
And me.
But...
This one's too young

PonyHag714
Here comes the helmet!

Post by PonyHag714 (?) » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:10 pm

I haven't been a big Yona fan, but I thought this was her best episode, what with her supporting Sandbar and helping to free Neighsay.

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:18 pm

PonyHag714 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:10 pm
I haven't been a big Yona fan, but I thought this was her best episode, what with her supporting Sandbar and helping to free Neighsay.
:wingsright: That's because Yona has always been the best student.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:43 pm

I thought this was a pretty decent season finale. I liked it more than last season's, which didn't hang together neatly at all.

Cozy Glow is a little Machiavelli. She's not powerful enough to compete with our heroes, so she does whatever she can to sabotage everyone above her. Draining Equestria's magic doesn't matter if she thinks she can con everyone into following her, and that's easier if she can lock up everyone more respected than her. Admittedly, this seems to have developed mostly in this episode, and it's hard to see how her original admission to the school fits into it. Maybe it doesn't, and she just learned all the wrong lessons while she was there.

I think Neighsay worked out all right here, inasmuch as he was never really a villain outside of his racism and pride, and even he was able to mend his ways after being kidnapped by the widdlest quootsiest dictator. I'm actually surprised Celestia and Luna marched on Ponyville in a time of crisis... unfortunate that the magic of trains was the first to disappear.

It's a little strange that all the animals the team has stopped get locked up in Tartarus. :saddershy: Also, the chimera used to be able to talk.

One weird exchange:
:speakest: That is the best explanation so far. Somepony should investigate.
:wingsright: We'll go.
:-o Oh, no-no-no-no-no-no. Not without us, you wo— Wait. Did you say "we"?
:wingsright: I've finally learned that it's okay to count on your friends for help. Um, you do want to come, right?
...That's... what they do. They've all been doing that since season 1. Spike's the only one who doesn't usually get to come along.

Funny that Cozy Glow keeps wearing her taped-together Empress of Friendship crown at the end when she's leading the student mob at the end. The real key to being a heroic friendship team: Perceptiveness.

This season is really heavy on magical artifacts for some reason. Not really good or bad, just... odd. Having one in a season was usually enough, but now everyone's got 'em. Apparently they should start stocking up, since they're better than normal magic.

Niels Olof
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Niels Olof (?) » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:53 pm

I'm with SlateSlabrock.

They managed to create what is IMO the most hateful villain of the show yet. The progression of events effectively ratcheted the tension up, and for once neither the princesses (you know, the real ones) nor the Mane Seven were out of the game for good. The latter even managed to escape their prison under their own power. Tirek had a Dr. Lecter moment, and a rigid bigot had a revelation and a change of heart. Good stuff.
In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libroEverywhere I sought tranquility but found it nowhere save in a corner with a book

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:15 pm

The Doctor wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:18 pm
:wingsright: That's because Yona has always been the best student.
I agree.
But...
This one's too young

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:03 pm

Letting the episode digest a little more, I think the one thing that really stands out as strange is locking Cozy Glow up in Tartarus. I mean, she did intentionally try to destroy the world, but she's not even a super-powered villain like Tirek or Nightmare Moon or Chrysalis, and Twilight didn't give up on changing Starlight's mind even when she was ruining all of history.

Basically, Cozy Glow is a little terror, but I'm surprised she's considered worse than Discord.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:27 am

Count me in as someone who loved this, too. Cozy Glow's story has been the show's best in terms of multi-episode arcs; as I saw it, I was always on the edge of whether she was or wasn't evil. That sort of uncertainty does a lot more towards keeping up an interesting story than just wondering where all six keys to the Tree of Harmony's chest will come from, for example.

What I really admired was that Cozy Glow was not wrong. It is entirely possible to use friendship as a means to obtain power. With nothing but sheer charisma and the advice of a demon, she'd wrapped the whole school around her finger (if she had any fingers), at the cost of the world's magic. And that's the great metaphor: you can listen to your inner demons and use your friends and loved ones to get what you want, but in doing so you sacrifice the magic, the joy, the happiness of harmony with everyone. If only the draining of that magic were quite so obvious in our world, maybe we could depose our leaders who seek to do the same.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:27 am

Safety Is Job #1.

Well howdy, silent new classmate!

What, me worry?

Cloudsdale looks kinda... blustery today. :starity:

Image Wow, I've never stood on a cloud before!
Image You can't normally, but for our trip I cast a spell that lets us walk like pegasi.
Don't changelings have wings? :ponder:

Yona hate trust faaaaallllllsssss

♫ Shake Hooves with Danger 🎝 da doo da DEE da doo DOOO

Hey! You have wings!

Interesting wind effects during this scene.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:48 am

:wingsright: I'm glad you're all okay, but I'm sure it's nothing to worry about, Starlight. Maybe you did your spell wrong.

Book! How... how could you betray me?!

P-pony wears the sadd-*hic*-addleee-ee-ee!

It must be a season bookend if Spike's got indigestion.

What is this, a letter for ants?

We're doomed! DOOOOOOOMED!

Spike's cutie mark confirmed.

A babysitter?!

This document conforms to all applicable laws and statutes!

Oh boy. Homework.

Always the black fly no matter where you go
I'll die with the black fly pickin' my bones
in old Sire's Hollow, Hollow

Muffins spoil in a day without magic?

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:44 am

Good night color work.

I'll give Cozy Glow this much: She's really dedicated to winning people over.

Nice to see a firefly lantern.

A fair amount of camera focus effects in this episode.

For a unicorn with no magic, Chancellor Neighsay is surprisingly strong.

Nighttime, Sweet Apple Acres (which hasn't been destroyed in ages!)

Image Sorry, I ran out of apples.
Was Sandbar planning on throwing the anvil and the cow if Applebloom was a heavy sleeper? :smirk:

But a FOOOLISH alicorn warrior wielding a magic horn stepped forth to oppose me!

...Candygram.

How does the ring on this key stay attached? :bwuh:

How many recurring monsters can you spot?

Also... who feeds the prisoners in Tartarus?

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:51 am

And to finish up the first episode, Cozy Glow goes into full face mode.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:35 am

TIME TO KICK IT UP A NOTCH

time to sit down for while

oh golly gee willickers gosh wowee

gee whiz aw shucks oh jimmy gee jolly jiminy jumpin' Jehoshaphat

Does anyone else hear that ominous music coming from stage left?

Cutie Mark Crusaders Cat Burglars! Yay!

He survived, after the ribs healed.

You can pick up your copy from the school bookstore! It is a new edition, so used copies are NOT ACCEPTABLE!

A goatee? Heh, amateur hour at the villainy club.

Wait, did you just summon a bunch of ponies in one turn?

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:48 am

I'm not sure I even want to know where the horn came from.

Just widdle ol' me!

AND A LITTLE DECORATIVE FRIEND FOR YOU TO TALK TO

SYMBOLISM!

This dude could've been the hero of the episode.

Just... bear.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:08 am

Cozy, you forgot to take off your crown.

These HARMONY CANNON CHARGING moments always reminds me of M.A.S.K.

BY THE POWER OF TREESTUMP

RIP school

Oh it's okay, they were just sending the souls to the Farplane.

Kinda wild seeing the princesses march on Ponyville with actual guards.

Ex-auror, Ministry malcontent, and your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher!

holy crap lois

Holy crap, it's different-looking guards.

Your actual diplomas will be mailed to you after you pay the gown rental fees.

Heeeeeere's Cozy!

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:26 pm

I was totally expecting cozy to end up being Chrysalis. But I was pleasantly surprised to find out that she's just an evil psycho foal. :scheming:
ImageImageImageImageImage