S01E05: Griffon The Brush Off

Episode, movie, and comic book discussion threads are kept here once they have been released.

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

S01E05: Griffon The Brush Off

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:36 am

Griffon The Brush Off
Airdate: November 12, 2010
Writer: Cindy Morrow
Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash bond by playing pranks on the other ponies, but when Rainbow Dash's old friend, Gilda the griffon, shows up for a visit, Pinkie gets left out.
Last edited by The Doctor on Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Re: Griffon The Brush Off - Season 1:Episode 5

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:43 pm

Back when I first binged through seasons 1 and 2, I remember thinking Pinkie Pie was mostly an annoying jerk with little personality otherwise. I get the feeling that this episode and A Friend In Deed were the main reasons I thought that. Here... I mean, Gilda was obviously a jerk, and Pinkie wasn't the one who threw in all the pranks at the party in the end, but I still think Pinkie was at least a bit obnoxious in this episode. But maybe I don't enjoy these sorts of pranks much?

Frith
Princesses of Soul

Post by Frith (?) » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:21 pm

I think this episode presented Pinkie in a rather positive light. The episode showed Pinkie at her best when she refused to prank Fluttershy and when she tried to fix Gilda's attitude by throwing party for her. She was a bit pushy at times but she never crossed a line into annoying territory.

Gilda wasn't particularly interesting character (just a typical bully) but I think it was a good thing she wasn't reformed here. Sometimes you just can't fix people's bad behavior in the blink of an eye.

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:16 pm

I love the Irritated Celestia series take on this episode.

Friends of friends don't have to be friends.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:40 pm

I wouldn't say that pinkie was obnoxious on a deep level. To me there's just one specific misdeed in that trying to butt in on two old friends who have already told you that they want to be away from you is freaking rude. It also doesn't match up with how considerate Pinkie was being earlier. She gets that Fluttershy wants to be pranked but doesn't get that Dash and Gilda want some space.

Gilda was being a jerk, but was she being "Rainbow Dash should disown her forever right now" of a jerk? I don't know. This episode got very extreme in the end.

I really like Gilda's design and I think she's cool even though she's an asshole, so maybe that's my bias on the issue.
👉👉🥜🏠