S02E01: The Return of Harmony: Part 1 Discussion

Episode discussion threads are kept here once the episode has aired.

Moderators: Perrydotto, Dexanth, Venusy

Re: S02E01: The Return of Harmony: Part 1 Discussion

Post by reidransom (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:19 pm

Henry Plainview wrote:You can use crop rotation with trees?

Uh, um... sure, probably. With hard work and good friends ponies can accomplish anything. Or something.
Image :milkshake:
reidransom
Rainbow Racers

Post by tdkgunghoul (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:26 pm

DisQord's dancing style on Twilight's head must be a reference to something! It must! :gonkity:
tdkgunghoul
What have I become
My sweetest friend

Post by Master_Twig (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:28 pm

MochaBean wrote:Discord apparently kept the ponies around for the sole purpose of constantly trolling them. :iamapony:

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss.
Master_Twig
Hey look, a bee.

Post by Colton, M.D. (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:30 pm

tdkgunghoul wrote:DisQord's dancing style on Twilight's head must be a reference to something! It must! :gonkity:

A popular 90's dance called the Running Man. DisQord confirmed for best dancer.
Colton, M.D.
You'll read everything I post,
In this man's voice.
Faithful Students

Post by reidransom (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:32 pm

tdkgunghoul wrote:DisQord's dancing style on Twilight's head must be a reference to something! It must! :gonkity:

I doubt it's this, but that's what it reminded me of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMLCrzy9TEs
Image :milkshake:
reidransom
Rainbow Racers

Post by Throbulator (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:41 pm

The entire gallery scene is absolutely gorgeous! :awesomedash:
Willsun was kicked by Willsun (THROB'S REPORT CARD: Biology (B-), Chemistry (C+), Geometry (B), PONIOLOGY (A+++))
Grilox wrote:"Yes Grilox would have an avatar of the worst scene in ponies of course" - Throbulator, 2012
Throbulator
I know everything about skeletons!
Honorary Wonderbolts
  • Website

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:43 pm

GO DISCORD
GO DISCORD
GO DISCORD

(It was actually animated a lot better than Apple Bloom doing the same thing in the CMC stage show—I think that's what they were trying to accomplish, but it came out with the feet moving backwards :gah: )
Headless Horse
one, two
one, two
Faithful Students

Post by VaultAggie (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:52 pm

This episode was amazing! Discord is hilariously awesome and watching him trick all the ponies was great. I'm hoping that Luna pops up sometime next episode. Fluttershy was really funny as a bitch, though. :butwhy:
VaultAggie
"Shawty, you the best"
Night Mares

Post by MochaBean (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:55 pm

The Faust-McCracken-Tartakovsky Triumvirate must love that dance, they used it in Dexter's Laboratory too.

It'd be awesome if next week it turns out that Luna is the one that saves the day and gets the band back together, but I'm not holding my breath. :fluttersmith:
MochaBean
You're a RASCAL
Semper Pie
  • Website

Post by Grilox (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:55 pm

If I recall, Momar likes to go through here and take avatar requests, so I'd like one of glaring Celestia because it is great.

Discord was amazing, because he pretty much was Q. The way he said Celestia's name reminded me of how Q would always say Picard's name.
ImageImageImageImage
Grilox
Magic!
Celestia's Champions

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:01 pm

I would have fucking loved to sit in on that voice recording session.

"So... this character is basically Q."
"Yeah. Just have fun with it."
"Do you want me to play him differently at all??"
"No, no. Why do you think we hired you?"
"All right then. So Celestia is Picard? And I get to provoke Rainbow Dash like she's Worf and so on? And you say everypony instead of everyone, but that's about it?"
"You got it."
".....Iiiii love it." :smug:
Headless Horse
one, two
one, two
Faithful Students

Post by Limey Lassen (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:01 pm

So you know all those old jokes about how Pinkie worshipped Loki?

...not really a joke anymore. :pinkieshrug:
Limey Lassen
  • Website

Post by Geomancing (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:08 pm

The initial few minutes crammed way too much into the shortest amount of time, but I know they did the best with the time restrictions they had.

In regards to the corn crop, remember that AJ has an entire barn back behind her normal one that has a carrot motif. Just because apples are her thing doesn't mean she doesn't diversify.

I loved Rainbow and Fluttershy's reactions to losing their wings, as well as Twilight and Rarity losing their horns. Also AJ is the worst liar in the world.

I'm wondering if, in episode 2, Discord is going to even TRY to screw with Twilight. Though I can't imagine much that he could do; I can't think of any plausible way that she'd freak out and become... well, non-magical beyond taking her horn like he already did. I suppose she has to stay normal so she can be the one to start snapping the others out of their respective funks.
Geomancing
Faithful Students

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:10 pm

Everyone's like "BUT HE USED MIND CONTROL THAT'S CHEATING"

Discord just wanted to fuck with them before making them inevitably fail. He could've just not went through the whole maze thing since he was going to deny them the elements anyway, but it's more fun this way. That's the kind of horrible grotesque chimaera he is.
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Your life is a song,
but not this one, sure.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:13 pm

I'm pretty sure AJ farms all kinds of things, not just apples. Apples just take up the most space, so they're the most visible. Remember all the farming in Winter Wrap Up, which I took to mean was happening in part on her farm.

(Having a little bin of apple seeds alongside the ground crops in WWU was kinda bizarre, though. Yeah, let's grow apples annually straight from seeds!)

As to the pacing, you just know this episode was cut down to the absolute bone. There's not a wasted frame getting this story out. The first draft probably came in at like 30 minutes and they had to spend all spring snipping it down (Dash putting her wings back on was probably a scene, so was Twilight picking up her "new spell that'll fix everything", etc) so they could preserve the most Discord lines possible. :awesomedash:
Last edited by Headless Horse on Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Headless Horse
one, two
one, two
Faithful Students

Post by The great M (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:14 pm

Any good trickster god breaks the rules he sets up himself.
The great M
Pinke Torte das Pony.

---
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:16 pm

It wasn't magic. He's just a sufficiently advanced alien creature, so his unique abilities appeared to be magic to lower lifeforms such as ourselves. :v:
ImageImage
Let's Build Gunpla! - Like Let's Play, except building models instead of playing video games!
W.T. Fits
"Kiss my skinny metal ass!"
Faithful Students

Post by Star Platinum (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:17 pm

Good episode. The CMC seemed brattier than in S1, and the whole chocolate rain sequence at AJ's farm felt a bit rushed, but Discord's introduction was amazing, and everything after that was great. Discord is a excellent villain, they did a great job of making him humorous but still seem like real a threat (unlike NMM). The ending felt genuinely depressing even though I know everything will be all right... right? :fluttersmith:

I'm curious to see what will happen to Discord after he is defeated. The ponies were able to deal with NMM without banishing her, so I expect they'll find a solution other than imprisoning him again. I don't want him to become another Luna, but it would be interesting if he ended up owing them a favor and promised to leave them alone (for a while). :)
Star Platinum
  • Website

Post by MochaBean (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:21 pm

I wonder if the "I don't turn ponies into stone" line was intended as a double whammy. Not only did she do it to Discord, but she kind of did it to Luna too, since she trapped her in the moon (as opposed to on the moon like all the fanart suggests.)

I loved the venom in de Lancie's voice during that scene.
MochaBean
You're a RASCAL
Semper Pie
  • Website

Post by Abby Normal (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:22 pm

Earth pony magic combined with careful botany produced Apple Trees and Maize that can ripen in weeks. Also they use corn to feed other/farm animals besides having something else to eat besides hay, flowers and apples. It’s a lesser food for lesser creatures, like potatoes.
Abby Normal
GIFT TANK

Post by republic (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:28 pm

:rainbert: : Put up your dukes!!

I've been watching this on a second monitor for 15+ minutes and still haven't stopped being entertained by it. When Momar swings through to chop & stitch the latest episode into AVs, (if it hasn't been requested/claimed already) I'd love to see if a version of this could be shrunk small enough.
ImageImageImageImageImage
republic
Don't be a narc.
Rainbow Racers

Post by ozone (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:30 pm

God, what a way to start the new season. So damn good. :awesomedash:

This episode just confirmed my belief that Discord is the best villain yet. I love any trickster type villain because they always fuck with the protagonists even if it's completely impractical. Overall, I think Rarity had the best lines this time around but I also loved AJ's shifty eyes every time she lied. Little details like that show that the animation of this show is as gorgeous as always.

I just can't help but think that some of the stuff in this episode is kind of too scary for the target demographic, specifically the apple creatures, the slender bunnies and even the ponies' hypnotized eyes. I can't believe that stuff actually got through but I'm not complaining.
ozone
BRO DOWN
Semper Pie
  • Website

Post by Doctor Wheeze (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:31 pm

Star Platinum wrote:Good episode. The CMC seemed brattier than in S1, and the whole chocolate rain sequence at AJ's farm felt a bit rushed, but Discord's introduction was amazing, and everything after that was great. Discord is a excellent villain, they did a great job of making him humorous but still seem like real a threat (unlike NMM). The ending felt genuinely depressing even though I know everything will be all right... right? :fluttersmith:

I'm curious to see what will happen to Discord after he is defeated. The ponies were able to deal with NMM without banishing her, so I expect they'll find a solution other than imprisoning him again. I don't want him to become another Luna, but it would be interesting if he ended up owing them a favor and promised to leave them alone (for a while). :)

Maybe the other Dragonokis will strip him of his powers and turn him into a pony, and everyone will teach him a lesson in humanity pony-anity friendship.
:hatte: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :hatte:
ImageImageImage
Image Image Image
Doctor Wheeze
:fluttercite: :fluttercite: :fluttercite:
Stare Masters
  • Website
Post by Surfing Ponies (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:31 pm

:yay: :crack: :D

Suffice to say, that was a great episode. I vastly prefer the slice-of-life episodes from season one to the adventure episodes, but this one was high quality without a doubt. Yes, it felt rushed, but it was full of wonderful little moments, just like the latter episodes of the first season.

While I've never particularly cared about Luna, I have a sneaking suspicion that we'll see her in the next episode. My bet is that Celestia/Luna come on the scene right at the start of the next episode to rescue the ponies, driving off Discord for the moment. Luna reveals that Discord twisted her just like he did the mane six (minus Twilight), and they struggle to "fix" everyone while Discord impedes their efforts, or maybe just screws around with Equestria. Maybe their efforts fail, and when Discord returns, Celestia/Luna hold him off while Twilight makes a friendship speech that finally gets through to them, and with that the elements of harmony return and all eight of them turn him back to stone/banish him to the moon/whatever.

:starity:

...Yup, I've missed ponies.

:ponydrugs:
Surfing Ponies
After I fix this dress, I'm going to rearrange your FACE!

Post by shotgunbadger (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:33 pm

MochaBean wrote:I wonder if the "I don't turn ponies into stone" line was intended as a double whammy. Not only did she do it to Discord, but she kind of did it to Luna too, since she trapped her in the moon (as opposed to on the moon like all the fanart suggests.)

I loved the venom in de Lancie's voice during that scene.

Yea he sold that line so well. I love when baddies get the good digs in.
ImageImage
3DS code: 4811-8169-5683
shotgunbadger
Follow the Diamond to a brighter future.
Diamond Dusters

Post by Fontra (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:38 pm

I just had a horrifying thought: What if all the stone statues outside are ponies that Celestia turned to stone? :wat:
Fontra
CAN YOU DIG IT?
Forums Shittiest Poster

Post by Kanthulhu (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:39 pm

Derpy sighted:
Kanthulhu
~~Books!~~
Faithful Students

Post by republic (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:39 pm

Contra Calculus wrote:I just had a horrifying thought: What if all the stone statues outside are ponies that Celestia turned to stone? :wat:

This is the price of a lack of friendship. Make some friends, or be made a decoration. :nngh:
republic
Don't be a narc.
Rainbow Racers

Post by Star Platinum (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:40 pm

shotgunbadger wrote:
Yea he sold that line so well. I love when baddies get the good digs in.

That, and "I've missed you..." Creeeeeeepy.

After watching the episode again I'm wondering about Discord's riddle. "Find the elements back where you began", that doesn't really make sense if they ever were in the labyrinth. Also makes me wonder how he got the elements out of the vault. Perhaps Discord knows a little... invisibility spell? :crack:

oh god it's only the end of the first day and I'm already making stupid theories send help
Last edited by Star Platinum on Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Star Platinum
  • Website

Post by Kanthulhu (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:41 pm

About the statue garden: the pony Victory Statue implies that there were conflicts like wars in pony society before.
Kanthulhu
~~Books!~~
Faithful Students

Post by Abby Normal (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:41 pm

Victory pony was Equestria's Ghengis Khan that almost took the country from Celestia.
Abby Normal
GIFT TANK

Post by stonecutter (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:42 pm

Rainbow Crash wrote:Yeah, what the fuck was with the corn? Is Applejack diversifying?

All that High Fructose Corn Syrup used at Sugarcube Corner has to come from somewhere.
El trabajo no mata pero mejor no me arriesgo.
stonecutter
One-trick Pony

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:46 pm

Kanthulhu wrote:About the statue garden: the pony Victory Statue implies that there were conflicts like wars in pony society before.

Rarity owns a helmet and is aware of tanks, which were confirmed to be the armored vehicles.
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Your life is a song,
but not this one, sure.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by rudecyrus (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:47 pm

God damn this was a great episode. John de Lancie nailed it. Everything was great.

:awesomedash: :awesomedash: :awesomedash: :awesomedash: :awesomedash: :awesomedash: :awesomedash: :awesomedash: :awesomedash: :awesomedash: :awesomedash: :awesomedash: :awesomedash:
rudecyrus
The best pony :3
Rainbow Racers

Post by WhitemageofDOOM (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:48 pm

Geomancing wrote:I'm wondering if, in episode 2, Discord is going to even TRY to screw with Twilight. Though I can't imagine much that he could do; I can't think of any plausible way that she'd freak out and become... well, non-magical beyond taking her horn like he already did. I suppose she has to stay normal so she can be the one to start snapping the others out of their respective funks.

The best way to attack people, is to hurt the people they care about.
He doesn't need to do anything else to twilight.

Limey Lassen wrote:So you know all those old jokes about how Pinkie worshipped Loki?

...not really a joke anymore. :pinkieshrug:

Eternal Chaos? :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also rainbow dash, you broke the rules! And now discord will rule equestria forever!
As the mod of woos i claim the best discord avatar. :crack:
WhitemageofDOOM
Pretty much the best
The Great and Powerful Trixsters

Post by KillerJunglist (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:49 pm

My confidence that season 2 will be just as good (if not better) than season 1 has increased tenfold now that I've seen this episode.

Also I'd like to call the "I AM weak and helpless!" scene for a new AV. Thanks in advance whoever decides to do this.
KillerJunglist
Winds in the east, mist coming in,
Like somethin' is brewin' and bout to begin.
Can't put me finger on what lies in store,
But I fear what's to happen all happened before.

Still Emperor of the Nerds
Stare Masters

Post by WhitemageofDOOM (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:53 pm

KillerJunglist wrote:Also I'd like to call the "I AM weak and helpless!" scene for a new AV. Thanks in advance whoever decides to do this.

You should have a DJing big mac avatar. :rainbert:
WhitemageofDOOM
Pretty much the best
The Great and Powerful Trixsters

Post by Topshot (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:53 pm

Ok I need to watch this at least 3 more times, but did anybody else notice the sound effect when Discord opened his upturned umbrella?? He really doesn't like making any sense. :v:
Topshot
Power to the Peaceful
Rarity's Roughnecks
  • Website

Post by BartonFink (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:53 pm

VoidChicken wrote:The best pony got the best de-element scene, of course.
Word. Discord tries everything to get Fluttershy to not be kind, has to eventually just go "fuck it, you're hypnotized". :yay:

Random thoughts:
- I'm obviously hesitant to infer much about the quality of season 2 from this since this came from the end block of season one episodes when they were on a roll. And it seems the "roll" continues; this stands on level with Party of One/Cutie Mark Chronicles/Best Night Ever in being a really strong episode.
- I'm not a Trekkie and don't know Q at all but the VA was indeed very good. I'm glad they went with the "intelligent but insane villain who genuinely enjoys chaos" type. The stained glass scene was really well done on a number of levels.
- In theory I kind of prefer the slice-of-life episodes, but if the adventure ones can be this quality, I don't really care either way.
- Pinkie was top notch in this episode.
- Tabitha had a field day with the DIAMOND scene.
- Best scenes were the aforementioned Fluttershy scene and Pinkie's argument for eternal chaos. Awaiting inevitable Tay Zonday mashup.
- Biggest criticism was that the pacing was a bit off at the beginning, but given how much they stuffed into this episode I'm willing to forgive it. The CMC segment was fine for introducing the background info (and Cheerilee got a good line), though it wasn't entirely necessary.

lol like 6 posts were made while I was typing this
^ and one was made while I was typing that
BartonFink
Stare Masters

Post by The great M (?) » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:11 pm

ARRIVIDERCI

Must make more gifs...
The great M
Pinke Torte das Pony.

---
Faithful Students

Previous Next