S05E01-02 - The Cutie Map

Episode, movie, and comic book discussion threads are kept here once they have been released.

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

S05E01-02 - The Cutie Map

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat May 12, 2018 12:35 am

The Cutie Map
Airdate: April 4, 2015
Writer: Scott Sonneborn & M.A. Larson
Princess Ember wrote:The Cutie Map sends the girls to a town where ponies are mentally and physically tortured into submission by a pony that looks just like Twilight.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Re: S05E01-02 - The Cutie Map

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sat May 12, 2018 1:19 am

Twilight Sparkle + Sunset Shimmer = Starlight Glimmer
To this point I think that her name is waaaay too similar to the two and I wish she had a bit more unique name.
Pony parents sure like sparkly, glimmering, and shiny things.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Sun May 13, 2018 10:55 am

Maybe Celestia just favours unicorns with names that compliment the cycle of day and night.
👉👉🥜🏠

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sun May 13, 2018 11:12 am

I enjoyed this episode, and Starlight as a low-tier antagonist (in this story at least, wish they hadn't gone all "THE WORLD IS DOOMED" with her in the season finale).

I think my only issue was the ending. I really dislike the idea that a cutie mark makes the pony who they are. They kind of did this in the Season 4 finale with the Princesses giving up their powers and losing their cutie marks, but I saw that more as the cutie marks being a symbol of who they are, rather than actually being who they are. I would have preferred the ending to be all the ponies realize there's nothing holding them back. They didn't have their cutie marks when they were growing up and did something to get them. I would have liked to see that again.

Kind of related, I also would have preferred the staff be the source of Starlight's power, rather than her being that powerful. Because like I said, I enjoyed this as more of a low-tier problem. The girls going and solving a problem that isn't an end-of-the-world situation. I also liked how it was more an ensemble adventure, after a long string of 2-part episodes that were focused on Twilight, it was a nice change. Starlight's song was nice, and I liked the other town ponies.