MLP Movie - airing October 6, 2017

here a forum about pony (General Pony Talk)

Moderators: Perrydotto, Dexanth, Venusy, Wayoshi

Re: MLP Movie - airing October 6, 2017

Post by PaulloDEC (?) » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:17 am

Highbrow Dash wrote:
Absolutely. That has nothing to do with MLP though! :v:

This was literally going to be my response.
PaulloDEC
Gah!
  • Website

Post by Soft Snow (?) » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:03 am

Highbrow Dash wrote:
Absolutely. That has nothing to do with MLP though! :v:

Give it time. If you're anything like me, soon the feelings of impending doom will creep their way into all your happy thoughts.
:twiright:
If I had a bit for every time you made me feel worthless, I'd be worth something by now.
Soft Snow
A shot to the heart... And I'm to blame.

Post by Dexanth (?) » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:31 am

Soft Snow wrote:Give it time. If you're anything like me, soon the feelings of impending doom will creep their way into all your happy thoughts.
:twiright:

Nope, don't think so! The impending doom around ponies feeling ran out during Season 3. :-I
:milkshake: Image ImageImage Image
Dexanth
Love conquers all
Celestia's Champions

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:07 am

Dexanth wrote:
Nope, don't think so! The impending doom around ponies feeling ran out during Season 3. :-I

Seriously, any concern about how this movie might turn out is nothing compared to what I felt right after S3 ended. That was just when MMC had aired, when Hasbro's corporate meddling with the show looked like it'd hit yet another new peak and didn't show any sign of stopping, and when news about EqG was leaking and every single bit of it just kept making EqG look worse and worse.
Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters
  • Website
Post by Soft Snow (?) » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:57 am

Dexanth wrote:

Well, in case you do, I just want you to know I'm here to support you in your time of unprecedented terror thoughts about the movie.
:flutterdear:
If I had a bit for every time you made me feel worthless, I'd be worth something by now.
Soft Snow

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:58 am

People are going to freak out over nothing plenty without any help.
SlateSlabrock
The information's unavailable to the mortal man.
Celestia's Champions

Post by Soft Snow (?) » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:44 pm

SlateSlabrock wrote:People are going to freak out over nothing plenty without any help.

And when that time inevitable comes they will have my should to lean on and my ear to listen to them.
:crack:
Soft Snow

Post by DerFurShur (?) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:15 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/HasbroNews/status/783816671916097536

Welp as of tomorrow we'll be exactly one year out from the movie's release, and Hasbro has a clock.

I'm curious when we'll get our first trailer.
"Why does life have to be so IRONIC?"
Best Ponies :milkshake: :allears: :flirt: :allright: :iamapony: :vogue:
DerFurShur
  • Website
Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:21 pm

I'm more curious about the booklets on the platform. What are they?
Mr. Big
Kat-hime is pleased.
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters
  • Website
  • Website

Post by DerFurShur (?) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:27 pm

Physical copies of the Guardians of Harmony tie-in comic
DerFurShur
  • Website
Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:33 pm

Given the slightly different visual look of the movie, you'd think Hasbro would have clipart of the Mane Six in the movie's style.
Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters
  • Website
Post by DerFurShur (?) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:42 pm

Well Hasbro is notorious for being behind in the promo vector department.

In fact some of the old school vectors of the Mane 6 can be seen in the group shot behind them.
DerFurShur
  • Website
Post by Ruflux (?) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:47 pm

That Fluttershy vector next to Pinkie Pie is literally the first drawing of Fluttershy Faust ever made

Amazing
"Hmm, balls"
-Ruflux, 2017
this post and you´re face ™&©2017 Rudeflux Shitpostal Service, a subsidiary of Postland Excelsior, Inc.
for licensing enquiries, please contact Acid Rudeflux, VP of Licensing at Rudeflux Shitpostal Service
Ruflux
Bae over bay, all day erryday
Rainbow Racers
  • Website
Post by Soft Snow (?) » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:13 pm

I think it's adorable that Hasbro made the count down timer for this. It is like Hasbro telling the fans "We know you were going to do it anyway so we saved you the trouble and did it for you. Enjoy."
:dreamworks:
Soft Snow

Post by Soft Snow (?) » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:37 pm

I just found out an interesting little tidbit. Apparently they are going to release a book prequel for the movie in August a month before the movie comes out. They are really going all out with this movie, aren't they?
:allears:
Soft Snow

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:56 am

Come on Hasbro, how long till the trailer? :f5:
Highbrow Dash
but why would you post such a thing??
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by PaulloDEC (?) » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:11 am

So did anyone else miss that Rita Hsiao (who worked on the screenplays for both Toy Story 2 and Mulan) co-wrote the FiM movie?
PaulloDEC
Gah!
  • Website

Post by DerFurShur (?) » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:23 am

It was announced in an article that came out during comic con when Sia was announced to be involved with the movie. This was briefly discussed earlier in either this thread or the spoiler thread for the movie.
DerFurShur
  • Website
Post by PaulloDEC (?) » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:06 am

DerFurShur wrote:It was announced in an article that came out during comic con when Sia was announced to be involved with the movie. This was briefly discussed earlier in either this thread or the spoiler thread for the movie.

Man, completely passed me by. I even had a post literally two down from the one where you mentioned it.

I wonder how involved she was? Her pedigree is pretty awesome.
PaulloDEC
Gah!
  • Website

Post by DerFurShur (?) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:13 pm

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2017/01/zoe-saldana-joins-mlp-movie-all-new.html?m=0

Looks like Zoe Saldana (Guardians of the Galaxy and Avatar) is joining the movie.

Also we get a clearer image of the logo and the Mane 6 from before

DerFurShur
  • Website
Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:56 pm

Click here for the full-sized logo, in case you're particularly interested in getting a closer look at the characters. Warning: it's 11 MB big.
Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters
  • Website
Post by Ruflux (?) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:22 pm

Yikes, what the hell happened to the colors on that one

No wait let me guess, somebody applied a ridiculously strong color correction filter like they used to in pirate releases of earlier seasons :v:
"Hmm, balls"
-Ruflux, 2017
this post and you´re face ™&©2017 Rudeflux Shitpostal Service, a subsidiary of Postland Excelsior, Inc.
for licensing enquiries, please contact Acid Rudeflux, VP of Licensing at Rudeflux Shitpostal Service
Ruflux
Bae over bay, all day erryday
Rainbow Racers
  • Website
Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:34 pm

Seems like it's a case of fairly common RGB/CMYK fuckery. Judging by reactions from when I linked it on Discord, the colors being rendered correctly seem to vary a bit based on your machine and what software you're viewing it with.
Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters
  • Website
Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:43 pm

Yeah, it's saved with CMYK color. Here's a copy saved as RGB.
SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions

Post by PaulloDEC (?) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:42 pm

Neat! Zoe Saldana is a good get, and the art in the logo looks great. Authentic to the show, but with some nicer lighting/shading going on.
PaulloDEC
Gah!
  • Website

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:10 pm

That's supercute. Twilight, RD and Rarity's manes look like they're actually swinging around as they move, which is pretty cool. The ears look good too, they'd look too busy on the regular design but they work really well in this.

I wonder if they'll be using that artstyle in season 8/a reboot. Assuming either of those happen after the movie.
Highbrow Dash
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by PaulloDEC (?) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:25 pm

Quick chop-up of our mane cast:

I think the biggest change is probably the much thinner outlines on the characters.
PaulloDEC
Gah!
  • Website

Post by Bumble-B (?) » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:32 pm

Something about the style looks 'off'. I guess it has a super cute aesthetic like someone mentioned so I'll probably have to get used to it

Also I want to see some clips or footage to see how well it animates :allears:
Bumble-B
Lets escape to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by capitalism... SPAAAAAACE!
Applejack Aces

Post by PaulloDEC (?) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:43 am

Bumble-B wrote:Something about the style looks 'off'. I guess it has a super cute aesthetic like someone mentioned so I'll probably have to get used to it

Also I want to see some clips or footage to see how well it animates :allears:

I thought I'd have a go at identifying all of the changes from the regular style. Here we go:

• Shadows and highlights everywhere. Characters have a lot more self-shadowing going on (most visible where their manes shade parts of their faces) and lots of highlights too (lots of edge-lighting, and even little glints over their noses).

• Fancy lighting effects. In addition to the light and shade, we're also seeing some neat new stuff, like the way Twilight's horn illuminates her outlines as well as her interior colours. We're also seeing soft, glossy highlights in manes, most evident on AJ, Rarity and Twilight.

• Eye-sparkles. This may just be for the sake of the promo image, but the entire Mane 6 has a "night sky" kind of scattering of stars in the coloured part of their eyes. Spike however, does not.

• Eye-reflections. As with the eye-sparkles, this is probably just for the promo image, but we're seeing a big purple blob with a white outline (presumably standing in for the logo) reflected in the eyes of everyone besides Spike and Rainbow Dash.

• New ears. We've known about these for a while, but all of the ponies are rocking the new, more detailed ear style. Where previously there was a single curved line, we can now see two, with a soft gradient representing the inside of the ear.

• Thinner linework. While chunky outlines are still in place, the linework is noticeably finer than what we've seen on the show.

• Sharper horns. We've only got Rarity to go on for this one (Twilight's is hidden behind an effect), but it looks like horns are a lot less rounded than on the TV show.

It's possible there's loads of tiny shape/size changes too, but those are really hard to identify given that a lot of the poses seem unique, and also the change to the linework means lots of things look sharper or more defined than before.
PaulloDEC
Gah!
  • Website

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:49 am

There's also the way Twi's horn splits her mane in two, while in the show it just kinda pops up in the middle of it.

PaulloDEC wrote:It's possible there's loads of tiny shape/size changes too, but those are really hard to identify given that a lot of the poses seem unique

Speaking of which, what about the animation? Will they be willing to go off model more often now? I always thought the storyboards' cartoonier style looked better than the show, but that was understandable given the lower budget and the limitations of Flash. This would be their chance to change that... Or they might just stick to the show's style.
Highbrow Dash
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by PaulloDEC (?) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:05 am

Highbrow Dash wrote:There's also the way Twi's horn splits her mane in two, while in the show it just kinda pops up in the middle of it.

Speaking of which, what about the animation? Will they be willing to go off model more often now? I always thought the storyboards' cartoonier style looked better than the show, but that was understandable given the lower budget and the limitations of Flash. This would be their chance to change that... Or they might just stick to the show's style.

I think we'll see a hell of a lot more poses, for sure. There isn't a lot of big-screen 2D animation to compare with anymore, but I'm not even sure if we'll see the constantly re-used poses of the TV show. That'll of course depend on budget, but at the very least I think there'll be far, far more off-model than we're used to.
PaulloDEC
Gah!
  • Website

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:26 am

PaulloDEC wrote:• Eye-sparkles. This may just be for the sake of the promo image, but the entire Mane 6 has a "night sky" kind of scattering of stars in the coloured part of their eyes. Spike however, does not.

• Eye-reflections. As with the eye-sparkles, this is probably just for the promo image, but we're seeing a big purple blob with a white outline (presumably standing in for the logo) reflected in the eyes of everyone besides Spike and Rainbow Dash.

The catchlights are also softer. Whereas in the show they'd be white spots in the eyes, here they're more translucent enough to where we can still see the iris and the pupil beneath them.
Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters
  • Website
Post by Headless Horse (?) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:25 am

It's always difficult to draw viable conclusions from promo art. Someone draws a logo for promotional purposes, way early on in production, and often it's based on the earliest iterations of the model sheets and has very little bearing on what ends up being the final working character designs.

This happens all the time. Hell, look at Lauren's original concept sketches. A whole lot of what we think of as the show's distinctive "look and feel" elements (like the run cycles, the stock expressions, etc) weren't anywhere to be seen in her drawings, and in fact didn't come about until Studio B had been working on developing the Flash rigs for weeks. So although to me some of these drawings/poses/expressions look a little weird (Rarity's chin and muzzle/eye placement for example, or Twilight's mouth and lower lip extending beyond her face, which I don't think the show ever did in its more simplified but less "classical cartoony" style), I'm sure they'll become a lot more natural once the animators have been working with them for a while.

The thinner linework looks to me like a necessity of big-screen animation, and also a way to allow them to make the mouths even more expressive. Look at Twilight's mouth—the corners have little dimple lines that would have been subsumed by the outlines in the show. But that level of detail will definitely show up on a movie screen.

Two things I wonder whether the animation team will play around with:

- They have an opportunity now to give the ponies different body styles and facial shapes if they want to. We all know that the show uses a standard generic mannequin shape for almost all (female) ponies and then just embellishes it with hair and eyes and such; but in a fully animated, one-off movie they don't have to take that shortcut. Will we see APPLEJACK STRONK?

- The eyes with their new star effects look neat, and indicate even more attention to detail than in the show, potentially; but I wonder whether the movie animators will go as completely bonkers with pupil and iris dilation as the show did. All that expressiveness in those giant eyeballs themselves—since Day 1 it was one of the most innovative and mold-breaking things about the show. But it's gotten so commonplace, so written into the fabric of the show's style, that I hardly even notice it anymore. I hope the movie animators are as charmed by it as I originally was, and give it the appropriate amount of love—making the eyes stars in their own right.

I hope it's not a bad sign that there are no eyebrows in this shot
Headless Horse
The yoke is strictly ornamental
Faithful Students

Post by drunkill (?) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:00 pm

It sure looks different, I think there will be a lot more detail when it is in motion.
drunkill
:barf:

Post by PaulloDEC (?) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:43 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote:The catchlights are also softer. Whereas in the show they'd be white spots in the eyes, here they're more translucent enough to where we can still see the iris and the pupil beneath them.

Good spot, I missed that.

Headless Horse wrote:The thinner linework looks to me like a necessity of big-screen animation, and also a way to allow them to make the mouths even more expressive. Look at Twilight's mouth—the corners have little dimple lines that would have been subsumed by the outlines in the show. But that level of detail will definitely show up on a movie screen.

Yeah, I think TV animation has a tendency to go "chunky" because it's simply quicker/easier/cheaper to animate. I can't wait to see how expressive they can get under the new style.

Headless Horse wrote:Two things I wonder whether the animation team will play around with:

- They have an opportunity now to give the ponies different body styles and facial shapes if they want to. We all know that the show uses a standard generic mannequin shape for almost all (female) ponies and then just embellishes it with hair and eyes and such; but in a fully animated, one-off movie they don't have to take that shortcut. Will we see APPLEJACK STRONK?

Man, that'd be cool. Not holding my breath though, if only because I feel the toy division would have something to say about it. I think a key part of keeping to the FiM canon for the film was that all existing FiM merch effectively becomes
movie tie-in content simply by virtue of the designs all being the same.

Headless Horse wrote:- The eyes with their new star effects look neat, and indicate even more attention to detail than in the show, potentially; but I wonder whether the movie animators will go as completely bonkers with pupil and iris dilation as the show did. All that expressiveness in those giant eyeballs themselves—since Day 1 it was one of the most innovative and mold-breaking things about the show. But it's gotten so commonplace, so written into the fabric of the show's style, that I hardly even notice it anymore. I hope the movie animators are as charmed by it as I originally was, and give it the appropriate amount of love—making the eyes stars in their own right.

It's still DHX working on the movie, right? Hopefully all of the stuff the animators learned on the show will get passed along to the movie team. Those big expressive eyes are such a key part of the FiM style that I'd be surprised if they aren't prioritised.

Headless Horse wrote:I hope it's not a bad sign that there are no eyebrows in this shot

Eyebrows usually only show up for certain kinds of blink/squint-type looks, no? I'm sure they'll show up where appropriate.
PaulloDEC
Gah!
  • Website

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:12 pm

Yeah, save for a few ponies who have particularly bushy eyebrows (Tree Hugger, for instance), that isn't something FiM normally does. Compare it to how the not-quite-humans of EqG have visible eyebrows.
Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters
  • Website
Post by Pocket (?) » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:45 pm

I can practically guarantee you won't be seeing all that shading in the movie itself, if any. Even Disney movies have never gone that far. It's more on par with the sort of thing you'd see on the DVD case. (Though I've often looked at those and wished one day someone would make a whole movie that looks like that.)
Pocket
Rainbow Racers

Post by PaulloDEC (?) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:51 am

Pocket wrote:I can practically guarantee you won't be seeing all that shading in the movie itself, if any. Even Disney movies have never gone that far. It's more on par with the sort of thing you'd see on the DVD case. (Though I've often looked at those and wished one day someone would make a whole movie that looks like that.)

I was curious as to how this sort of thing usually goes down, so I took a look at the most recent example of theatrically-released 2D animation I could think of, Princess and the Frog. Keeping in mind of course that this film cost a relative fortune ($105 million) and that the MLP movie might well cost a tenth of that or less for all we know.

There's lots going on in these shots, including plenty of edge-lighting, dramatic shadowing and even a fair few instances of self-shadowing. I daresay a fair amount of this was done by hand.

Makes me wonder what kind of automated processes exist for this sort of thing nowadays. Some pretty interesting tech exists in the gaming space for lighting/shadowing 2D art, which makes me wonder if a more sophisticated approach couldn't be used for a project like the MLP movie (especially if they're still using a puppet-style workflow similar to what was used on the show).
PaulloDEC
Gah!
  • Website

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:55 am

I vaguely recall them saying they had some sort of procedure to do those halo-kinda lights they started showing off sometime around season 4.
SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions

Post by PaulloDEC (?) » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:24 pm

SlateSlabrock wrote:I vaguely recall them saying they had some sort of procedure to do those halo-kinda lights they started showing off sometime around season 4.

Mmm, from the way it looks I'd guess it's a fairly simple "inner shadow" kind of effect on the show.

I'm totally out of the loop when it comes to advances in 2D animation nowadays. I've love to know what kind of time/labour-saving features modern software has available.

EDIT: Did a little research, for anyone interested in what Toon Boom is capable of in terms of sophisticated lighting/shadowing/shading, check out the teaser for upcoming feature film Klaus.
PaulloDEC
Gah!
  • Website

Previous Next

Return to Ponies