My Little Pony Movie Thread 2: Electric Scootaloo

here a forum about pony (General Pony Talk)

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

Soft Snow

My Little Pony Movie Thread 2: Electric Scootaloo

Post by Soft Snow (?) » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:26 pm

I decided to bring back the general movie thread. I'm usually not good with intro posts so hopefully someone more talented can fill gaps for me.
:modesty:

Anyway, last I hear the movie made over $45 million in the box office. So even if the total cost for budget and advertising was $20 million, being optimistic here, they made enough to produce another movie and still have some money left over.
:yay:
If I had a bit for every time you made me feel worthless I'd be worth something by now.

Headless Horse

Re: My Little Pony Movie Thread 2: Electic Scootaloo

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:26 pm

I think it's worth noting that the soundtrack is achieving some mainstream meme status. I hear "Open Up Your Eyes" getting played on personal speakers in crowds and the like, and my brother says his two daughters have the album on infinite loop in the car.
Last edited by Headless Horse on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:00 pm

Huh. I didn't expect the soundtrack to really catch on at all. If the next "Let It Go" had been in this movie then that would've felt really weird :-I

Soft Snow

Post by Soft Snow (?) » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:01 pm

They should be played on infinite loops were ever a speaker is available. For justice!
:jingo:

The more popularity the better.
:allears:
If I had a bit for every time you made me feel worthless I'd be worth something by now.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:09 pm

I loved the movie so much I watched it twice in theaters! :-D

I'll definitely be getting the Blu-Ray when it comes out.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:46 pm

Some animations based on a few of the songs from the movie. I'm pretty sure there was a Celaeno figure released, wasn't there? Little surprised she didn't show up here, unless she's not to scale with any of the pony toys.

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:03 pm

I went in with low expectations and I gotta say I'm pretty darn impressed.

Like, this film doesn't set the world on fire, but taking it as the franchise throwing itself a big, nicely animated party that offers some really cool characters, locales and setpieces I gotta say I'm pleasantly surprised! :-D

It's pretty amazing just how much something simple like a wide aspect ratio can help a film look the part.

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:30 pm

Good animation, good music (especially the score).

Story was a total letdown. Bland and disjointed and none of the characters old or new really got a chance to shine.

Except Rarity, she was great.

drunkill
me @ ur posting
Patreon supporter

Post by drunkill (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:06 am

Worldwide: $43,403,515
It only opened in Australia this weekend, which funnily enough is the biggest weekend of the horse racing calendar/spring racing carnival. My state has a long weekend for a horse race. :crack:

However it seems to be a limited screening and it missed the school holidays last month so I doubt it'll do too well here but who knows, maybe it'll do well on the weekend in a few weeks time.

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:28 am

Know what this film reminds me of? Ducktales: Treasure of the Lost Lamp.

Like it has the trappings of a feature film, it was released in theaters, it looks good, has a pretty great score, but it has this kinda "made for TV" -vibe.
It's basically an episode but twice the length and with higher production values.

Emily Blunt killed it by the way.

Highbrow Dash
But why would you post such a thing?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:28 am

I'd argue that "made for TV" vibe is just cause they're Ducktales and MLP movies :v:

But yeah it was really good :-P

!saak
🎜 joie de vivre 🎜
Semper Pie

Post by !saak (?) » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:07 pm

I feel like it has to do with an animation studio predominantly familiar with TV taking on a feature length project.

Egg Girls had this too.

It's like, when it comes to film there's certain differences, some subtle, some overt. With this film I think it comes down to editing and how long we "stay" with certain establishing shots. It's really quickly paced and there's a lot of stuff happening, which makes sense cuz with a 22 minute episode you can't afford to linger too much on certain scenes.

Like, this film had a big, epic journey, but it didn't quite feel like it?

The movie similarly glosses over a lot of things and affords new characters, locales and the like only a few lines of dialogue or a few moments of screentime.

Also, this is definitely a film where you're expected to know the characters, the world, etc. The main cast gets their brief introductions but they're more like "hey, here's that character you know!", rather than "we're gonna explore this character and what makes them tick for the next 90 minutes".

It's not at all a point against it I feel like tho, but I imagine some people might've expected something more uh... classically film-like.

I mean this is more a "film" than Batman Vs Superman and probably the best modern film based on a Hasbro franchise?

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:45 am

Now Off To see The World is in the Danish charts.
But...
This one's too young

Soft Snow

Post by Soft Snow (?) » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:07 pm

The movie is still playing in my local theater. Although it might be drawing to a close seeing how tomorrow only has one showing of it.

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:33 pm

http://deadline.com/2017/11/coco-despic ... 202205865/

The movie failed to qualify for the list of eligible nomination for the Academy Awards.

This isn't the nomination list, it's the list of things that can be nomination.

I'm pretty sure that means Lionsgate/Hasbro didn't bother submitting it for any consideration.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:40 pm

The Doctor wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:33 pm
http://deadline.com/2017/11/coco-despic ... 202205865/

The movie failed to qualify for the list of eligible nomination for the Academy Awards.

This isn't the nomination list, it's the list of things that can be nomination.

I'm pretty sure that means Lionsgate/Hasbro didn't bother submitting it for any consideration.
Not like it matters, since Pixar is releasing a non-sequel, so Coco is a lock.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:45 pm

Still, Hasbro not even bothering to submit it is a bit sad, at least assuming that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences doesn't charge some sort of massive submission fee to filmmakers.

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:58 pm

At least Finland made it to the list.
But...
This one's too young

drunkill
me @ ur posting
Patreon supporter

Post by drunkill (?) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:16 pm

The studio that made the end credits have posted some of their storyboards and designs online: http://www.clausstudios.com/my-little-pony-the-movie/

PonyHag714
Here comes the helmet!

Post by PonyHag714 (?) » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:51 pm

The movie has topped $50 million worldwide.

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2017/11/ ... n-for.html
Image ("Don't try to reform me, Hag, because I'm made of cold stone.")

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:29 pm

The MLP Movie is getting a digital release on December 19 and physical release on January 9.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:35 pm

I'm all over the Blu Ray when it comes out.

Highbrow Dash
But why would you post such a thing?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:31 am

Huh, Lyra shows up in the movie and she's looking weird :v:

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:50 am

I remember noticing that back when we saw her in one of the early preview vids. Considering how this pony is an earth pony like Bon Bon and has her hair styled the same way, but has Lyra's color scheme and cutie mark, I feel more like this was intentional than just a mere animation error.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:48 am

On the other hand she appeared in her normal appearance at the beginning of the movie. :pinkieshrug:
On the other other hand that brings back the horde of clones and recolors from the earlier seasons.
This could be a deliberate choice to harness that kind of nostalgia about the show.
:pinkieshrug:
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:03 am

The music is still fucking with me.

In particular "We're Off to See the World", which someone pre-forum-death said they had on super-infinite repeat, and I can see why. I keep going back to that well myself during my brisk walk to work. It's like I can't keep my finger off it.

There's something just so ... effervescently optimistic about it, but not in a cheesy bubblegum way. It's all caught up in that "dumb enough to try" line, a self-aware acknowledgment of how out-of-place these happy technicolor ponies are in this gritty grimy world full of war and despotism and attempted genocide.

The ponies' attitude toward their lives during the show seems complex and multilayered in that context, and I'm not downplaying how much there is to dig through in all of their psyches (lord knows we've done plenty of that over the years), but when you take them out of the cardboard-cutout backdrops of show Equestria and plop them down in this vast movie world where the first non-Canterlot scene we get is of a Mad Max / The Force Awakens style postapocalyptic desert anarchy city, it throws their candy-colored outlook into stark relief. Suddenly their attitudes toward fashion and cupcakes and bird choruses all seem really insular and self-absorbed. It's not that these characters aren't people who can handle themselves in a wider and more dangerous world, but they definitely need to kick themselves in the asses in order to get there, and even once they have they still stick out like a sore thumb visuallyβ€”and that's kind of the thing that still I find most striking about the movie and its whole conception.

I mean let's face it, the story is pretty generic. Not bad I would say, but it's fairly predictable, merely serviceable in its twists and turns, and it doesn't really try to say anything that's any bigger than two or three individual characters and their personal stories. But that's ... really not the point, I feel. The movie isn't trying to establish itself for the ages on the strength of its story. What it is doing is playing around with juxtapositions: light and dark, colorful and drab, optimistic and despairing. We're getting a world that could have been developed for some kind of Titan A.E. animated series or a Samurai Jack EU and tossing the freaking My Little Ponies right into the middle of it, just to see what they do.

And what we get is some incredible visuals and some of the best musical work Daniel Ingram has done in years. Seriously, almost every single song has qualities of earworminess that I haven't heard out of him since like S1/S2. And I want to think harder about a few of those songs too, but for now what I also love is that there are also all these really remarkable songs by third-party artists on the soundtrack, and with a couple of exceptions they're not throwaway garbage filler like on so many soundtracks even from the Disney Golden Age. And while I think Sia still makes a convincing headliner, "We're Off to See the World" with its devil-may-care exuberance, its wild energy and its determination to sound like it could have come from anywhere but hey guess what surprise it's from the MLP Movie soundtrack, makes a huge case for itself as kind of the chief embodiment of the movie's entire attitude. Not bubblegum for bubblegum's sake, not pointless cheer in a world where cheer is the default condition, but optimism and hope rising in the face of obvious reasons to doubt them against a grim backdrop where people would think the POV singer's worldview horribly misguided. It's like, only by raising the stakes and expanding the depths to which one can fall in failure does it really become this fulfilling to hear someone singing with such self-assurance of where their unaimed peregrination might take them.

I don't know. It makes me hyperventilate when I listen to it, it's almost overwhelming the kinds of feelings it evokes. There's things going on with these songs that do things to me.

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:40 pm

Headless Horse wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:03 am

In particular "We're Off to See the World", which someone pre-forum-death said they had on super-infinite repeat, and I can see why. I keep going back to that well myself during my brisk walk to work. It's like I can't keep my finger off it.

There's something just so ... effervescently optimistic about it, but not in a cheesy bubblegum way. It's all caught up in that "dumb enough to try" line, a self-aware acknowledgment of how out-of-place these happy technicolor ponies are in this gritty grimy world full of war and despotism and attempted genocide.

The ponies' attitude toward their lives during the show seems complex and multilayered in that context, and I'm not downplaying how much there is to dig through in all of their psyches (lord knows we've done plenty of that over the years), but when you take them out of the cardboard-cutout backdrops of show Equestria and plop them down in this vast movie world where the first non-Canterlot scene we get is of a Mad Max / The Force Awakens style postapocalyptic desert anarchy city, it throws their candy-colored outlook into stark relief. Suddenly their attitudes toward fashion and cupcakes and bird choruses all seem really insular and self-absorbed. It's not that these characters aren't people who can handle themselves in a wider and more dangerous world, but they definitely need to kick themselves in the asses in order to get there, and even once they have they still stick out like a sore thumb visuallyβ€”and that's kind of the thing that still I find most striking about the movie and its whole conception.

I mean let's face it, the story is pretty generic. Not bad I would say, but it's fairly predictable, merely serviceable in its twists and turns, and it doesn't really try to say anything that's any bigger than two or three individual characters and their personal stories. But that's ... really not the point, I feel. The movie isn't trying to establish itself for the ages on the strength of its story. What it is doing is playing around with juxtapositions: light and dark, colorful and drab, optimistic and despairing. We're getting a world that could have been developed for some kind of Titan A.E. animated series or a Samurai Jack EU and tossing the freaking My Little Ponies right into the middle of it, just to see what they do.

And what we get is some incredible visuals and some of the best musical work Daniel Ingram has done in years. Seriously, almost every single song has qualities of earworminess that I haven't heard out of him since like S1/S2. And I want to think harder about a few of those songs too, but for now what I also love is that there are also all these really remarkable songs by third-party artists on the soundtrack, and with a couple of exceptions they're not throwaway garbage filler like on so many soundtracks even from the Disney Golden Age. And while I think Sia still makes a convincing headliner, "We're Off to See the World" with its devil-may-care exuberance, its wild energy and its determination to sound like it could have come from anywhere but hey guess what surprise it's from the MLP Movie soundtrack, makes a huge case for itself as kind of the chief embodiment of the movie's entire attitude. Not bubblegum for bubblegum's sake, not pointless cheer in a world where cheer is the default condition, but optimism and hope rising in the face of obvious reasons to doubt them against a grim backdrop where people would think the POV singer's worldview horribly misguided. It's like, only by raising the stakes and expanding the depths to which one can fall in failure does it really become this fulfilling to hear someone singing with such self-assurance of where their unaimed peregrination might take them.

I don't know. It makes me hyperventilate when I listen to it, it's almost overwhelming the kinds of feelings it evokes. There's things going on with these songs that do things to me.
TL; DR - :ponydrugs:

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:17 am

$30 for a DVD? Oof. Still waiting for them to list the BluRay.

Also, I didn't realize this was the 100th anniversary of the series. :dreamworks:

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:31 am

BluRay + DVD and it's cheaper than your listing
https://www.amazon.com/My-Little-Pony-M ... dpSrc=srch
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:53 am

Weird, that one didn't come up when I searched for it.

Weirder: MSRP is $40. :money:

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:20 pm

"A different breed of hero" I find it kinda funny how even the marketing people whose only exposure to the show is mocking up DVD cover slogans expect it to be horsier than it actually is.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:58 pm

Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:20 pm
"A different breed of hero" I find it kinda funny how even the marketing people whose only exposure to the show is mocking up DVD cover slogans expect it to be horsier than it actually is.
Well, it's certainly less human than a whole lot of movies, at least.

Soft Snow

Post by Soft Snow (?) » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:55 pm

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:03 am

Not long enough; Did read. :ponydrugs:

I'm glad you like the music. I hope it will start effecting others in the same way.

Caldwin

Re: My Little Pony Movie Thread 2: Electric Scootaloo

Post by Caldwin (?) » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:41 pm

I absolutely loved the movie. I was a Tempest Shadow fan the moment I saw the trailer, but when I read "Stormy Road to Canterlot" she immediately took the place as second best pony. Sorry, no one can dethrone Luna. But Rainbow Dash seems to be slipping down the list.

I already have the movie preordered on Amazon. I hope I don't regret that. Some times things I preorder or waiting for me on the porch day of release. Some times it takes a while. This better not take a while or I will never forgive Amazon. NEVER!

And now I have "Open Up Your Eyes" stuck in my head. *goes to find his head phones*

drunkill
me @ ur posting
Patreon supporter

Post by drunkill (?) » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:24 pm

A writer for io9.com is singing the praises of the soundtrack, specifically 'Open up your eyes'

https://io9.gizmodo.com/what-a-good-sou ... 1821138539

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:27 am

I can fully agree with that, that song is spectacular.
Image /// Image /// Image

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:38 am

I think that "One Small Thing" sticks more in the head and Kirstin Chenoweth's voice is a big reason for this.
She was really great in Pushing Daisies.
At least the song dug real deep into my skull.

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:32 am

One Small thing was more memorable for me as well, thought I'm not familiar with the actress who played Skystar.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:06 am

I'm not familiar with any of the cast that wasn't from the show and even then I still enjoyed the songs.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:41 am

Adiwan wrote: ↑
Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:38 am
I think that "One Small Thing" sticks more in the head and Kirstin Chenoweth's voice is a big reason for this.
She was really great in Pushing Daisies.
At least the song dug real deep into my skull.
I miss Pushing Daisies. When I was fresh out of college, I had a couple job interviews with the composer for that show to be his assistant. The writer's strike ended up prematurely finishing the show, though. :fluttersmith: