The Newbie Thread: Introduce Yourself!

here a forum about pony (General Pony Talk)

Moderators: Perrydotto, Dexanth, Venusy, Wayoshi

The Newbie Thread: Introduce Yourself!

Post by Willsun (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:39 am

Last edited by Willsun on Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Willsun
Dogs are also cool.
Applejack Aces
  • Website

Post by Lallander (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:43 am

One of my buddies mentioned seeing "Horse avatars", I think is the term he used, popping up. I hunted around for a bit and found a grand total of 1. I told him he was seeing things. A while later another admin over at SS13 linked to the thread. He had done an analysis of the animation detail. That got my interest up. I watched the first two episodes, thought they looked good but were a bit generic. I browsed the thread a bit, decided to give the later episodes a shot and bam, here I am. Also no one here is going to mock you for liking anime, at least I should think.
Lallander
When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Post by Optimus Prime Rib Sandwich (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:48 am

I don't remember where I heard about ponies originally, but it wasn't from SA, and my first reaction was, "Oh god this is going to be terrible." Hence me booking it to TVIV to see what I thought would be a couple goons mocking the show for being terrible, only to have an OP tell me that it was actually pretty good. Then I tried watching the first episode, got to the opening song, and closed the tab. It took me a couple days and a bunch of skipping around videos until I finally watched a whole episode back-to-back and here I am.
Optimus Prime Rib Sandwich
hello

Post by Pink Himalayan Salt (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:49 am

Someone posted the OP of the thread in the PYF quote thread, intending to mock it. I saw the bit about Lauren Faust being involved and figured I'd give it a shot. I liked the first two episodes, but it was the third and beyond that made me really like the show.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Pink Himalayan Salt
see this watch? i got it by Crying. my car? crying. my beautiful wife? Crying. My perfect teeth? Crying. now get the fuck out of my office

Post by Blarghalt (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:56 am

1.) "What the hell is with these pony avatars? Did Schmorky makes a really good flash or something?"

2.) "Oh, okay. There's a thread. For My Little Pony. What in the hell."

3.) "Heh, this show is actually pretty okay."

4.) "Must...resist..."

5.) :ponydrugs:

More or less.
Blarghalt
RABIES MCFUTTS

THE SAVIOR. THE LEGEND.
Rainbow Racers
Pronoun: He
Post by ixnay (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:58 am

Saw a couple avatars, found the thread and read it out of morbid curiosity, watched an epsiode when I saw Lauren Faust's name, and then watched the rest of them right after that.
Image Image Image Image
ixnay
LOOK OUT, HERE COMES A BABY
Limo Learners
  • Website
Post by The Black Stones (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:11 am

I was hesitant at first. But I kept seeing IRQ's avatar popping up in some threads I follow and I just HAD to find out where it was from and what episode. I was hooked right away
The Black Stones
Look, I just don't think this is a good idea.

Post by WhitemageofDOOM (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:14 am

1.Rpg.net and #crete going on about MLP
2.MLP? Seriously? That sucks.
3.See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNGAz-otKug, Pony Sailormoon? Well i liked sailormoon might as well try it.
4.:ponydrugs:
WhitemageofDOOM
Pretty much the best
The Great and Powerful Trixsters

Post by Liska (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:16 am

I was starting to see background noise on discussion forums as a whole (PA, etc) and figured I'd seek out TVIV to see if there were any more in depth discussions. Lo and behold, There's the Pony megathread. I started watching and reading and was totally hooked by the 3rd episode.

If there's one thing I miss in life, it's being a kid, and the giddiness experienced when getting ready for Saturday Morning Cartoons to start. This cartoon brought a hint of that back into my life. The gorgeous animation, the detail, the adorable and endearing characters, all of it in glorious 1080p... I can't help but feel excited for a new show to air now.
Liska
clop clop clop clop
clop clop clop clop
clop clop clop clop
clop clop clop clop
Faithful Students
  • Website

Post by FuriousXJorge (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:16 am

Obligatory:

FuriousXJorge
She's not a tree, Dashy.

Post by 30 Second Artbomb (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:17 am

1.) "What the balls, they're remaking My Little Pony? This can't end well."

2.) "Why are people saying this is good. This has to be an elaborate troll."

3.) "...There's a thread. In TVIV. For My Little Pony. What in the actual fuck."

4.) "Okay what the hell, it's on youtube. Couldn't hurt."

5.) "...Oh fuck, the songs are stuck in my head. Do something else. Anything else."

6.) :ponydrugs:
30 Second Artbomb
Way too preoccupied with the future.

Post by Majestic bear song (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:17 am

Last edited by Majestic bear song on Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
oijenib sugka
Majestic bear song
This isn't my egg...
Rainbow Racers

Post by reidransom (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:18 am

Willsun wrote:My own story is boring and probably embarrassing. I caught wind of it first in the Panty & Stocking thread in ADTRW (yes, I like anime) when someone posted Twilight Sparkle and mentioned how her color scheme looked like and matched one of the main characters dead on.

It was some pony post in the PSG thread that made me aware of ponies also. Went looking for a thread about the source and found it in TVIV, but I didn't watch it until I queued it up for a friend's daughter some days later. Didn't get hooked though til I gave it a proper chance one day lying in bed with a hangover.
Image :milkshake:
reidransom
Rainbow Racers

Post by IRQ (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:21 am

furiousxgeorge wrote:Obligatory:

I was an OG neighsayer. I trolled the first thread.

Now I am on a pony centric message board. :ponydrugs:
IRQ
pat pat pat pat pat pat pat pat pat pat pat pat pat pat pat pat pat pat
Semper Pie

Post by Spike Disapproves (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:24 am

I was the neighsayer in the first thread who complained about Lauren Faust doing slave work for Hasbro to try and sell cheap toys. I was disgruntled and wrong. Having only seen bits and pieces of the first episode, I figured the rest of the show was the same.

I gave it a second chance because of the love my friends expressed, and now I'm hooked. I also later learned that Lauren Faust has attachment to the source material, and it really shows. You can tell she is having fun with this. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is more than a cartoon commercial, and I'm sorry I was so quick to judge.
Last edited by Spike Disapproves on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spike Disapproves

Post by I Ran So Far Away (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:24 am

I too posted a few snarky replies in the first thread, and look at where I am now. When one looks into the abyss etc etc.
I Ran So Far Away
No no no, ya gotta recover counter sixte after the time thrust, sugarcube.
DJ Pon-E

Post by emboggen (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:25 am

I used to go to /co/ for the story times and venture bros discussion. One day late last year I noticed they were going crazy over some strange-looking pony show, I completely dismissed it.

The first SA thread was posted and because I recognized 'ponies' (and nothing else) on the front page of TVIV I was lured in to the OP. The OP was good so I was lured in to reading more. Someone linked a compilation of Pinkie Pie antics on one of the first pages.

"And then I said, 'Oatmeal!? Are you crazy!?''" :ponydrugs:

SOLD.

Watched the first and second episodes. Good, but not great. Stopped watching after that but had some fun looking at gifs and trying my hand at avatar making. Thread got gassed and I move on to watching the third season of The Wire.

A few days later I had nothing else to do and I wasn't in the mood for the mean streets of Baltimore so I wandered back over to the MLP episodes. Watched four in a row.

SOLD. FOR REAL THIS TIME.

And after that it was a pattern of watching a few episodes of MLP as a break from The Wire. Friendship cartoons took the edge off all the Barksdale drama and McNutty & co kept me from overdosing on ponies. ...but now that I've joined a pony forum I don't know if that can still be said.
emboggen
:smuggest:

Post by Meridian (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:29 am

Started seeing pony avatars everywhere, noticed even OrangeFluffySheep getting one, noticed Dizz in the maplestory thread also had one, and chatted @ him on IRC about it. That's about it :pinkieshrug:
Meridian
DJ Pon-E

Post by republic (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:32 am

Saw a couple animation stills when I was lurking on /b/, got me to watch the pilot. I liked the animation style and voice acting, ended up watching a few more episodes. You know how it goes from there.

Heard about the TVIV thread (2nd thread apparently) when it was in the single digits. Been loving :ponydrugs: since.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
republic
Rainbow Racers

Post by Mediant (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:33 am

One of my friends started talking about how MLP was consuming her life shortly after reading the thread. I also heard that it was causing sort of a frenzy on SA. A couple really well made ponytars caught my eye and so I figured at least look at the thread title... then just the OP... then just a few posts... then just a few pages... then just a few episodes... then IRC...
:facehoof:
Now I'm neck deep in the series; I have my own ponytar; and I'm here.

---
Tonight one of my friends came over and asked what I'd been doing today. I told her, "Ponies."
She asked, "Ponies?"
"Ponies." Then I showed her the first two episodes. She thought Fluttershy was adorable, but the show was dumb and fans were creepy. She left a bit later. A bit later after that she sends me an instant message cursing me for getting her addicted to the show. She is now too watching it.
Last edited by Mediant on Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mediant
YOU. WILL. BE. PRETTY.
Friendship is magic, but
FASHION IS PAIN

Post by Willsun (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:52 am

riiro wrote:
Willsun wrote:My own story is boring and probably embarrassing. I caught wind of it first in the Panty & Stocking thread in ADTRW (yes, I like anime) when someone posted Twilight Sparkle and mentioned how her color scheme looked like and matched one of the main characters dead on.

It was some pony post in the PSG thread that made me aware of ponies also. Went looking for a thread about the source and found it in TVIV, but I didn't watch it until I queued it up for a friend's daughter some days later. Didn't get hooked though til I gave it a proper chance one day lying in bed with a hangover.

Hey, ponies cure everything.

The Black Stones wrote:I was hesitant at first. But I kept seeing IRQ's avatar popping up in some threads I follow and I just HAD to find out where it was from and what episode. I was hooked right away

Oh my god, me too. IRQ's damned avatar was everywhere and I couldn't resist.
Willsun
Dogs are also cool.
Applejack Aces
  • Website

Post by Meta Omega (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:58 am

My friend BeefAssistant linked me to the thread the first time around, and I thought it was a joke at first. I went through the thread, saw that it was serious, and though "Alright, I'll give it a try.". I watched the pilot and then proceeded to watch every single episode at the time (up through Call of the Cutie). I was shocked to discover that it was 3AM. I've been loving it ever since.
Pinkie can't believe you would even think of doing something like that
Meta Omega
Pinkie disagrees

Post by Meridian (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:59 am

(I can't post it here, standard SA forum rules apply.)

Wasn't that info in the actual thread too
Meridian
DJ Pon-E

Post by ComradeCosmobot (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:02 am

My understanding was that it was download, not Youtube links. Youtube links are cool. Download not so much.
ComradeCosmobot
Site Admin

Post by courtney_beth (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:32 am

I went on to TVIV when the first thread was posted and there were 2-3 replies. I couldn't believe that a My Little Pony thread had been added and I immediately started to watch the show. Fell in love and the rest is history.

I've seen two threads get deleted and now here we are. Now I've introduced the program to my husband and we watch it together. He's a bigger fan than me!
courtney_beth
I shall not use my hooves as hands.

Post by Redeye Flight (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:21 am

4chan again.

Back when I was a regular, 4chan's comics and cartoons board was one of the few places on the site with taste. If they hated something, they'd ignore it. If something was GOOD, and I mean really good, you wouldn't be able to shut them up about it. Avatar: The Last Airbender was one of these things; a French cartoon called Wakfu was another (though I never got into that one).

I left 4chan in about '09, but because I hung around a lot of spinoff sites I heard a lot about what was going on there anyway. Eventually I heard that /co/ was raving over a My Little Pony cartoon. And, well, they'd never been wrong before...
Redeye Flight
Don't call it a comeback

I been posting for years
Special Flowers

Post by synthorange (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:38 am

I started seeing avatars pop up on SA, had heard good things about the show but thought people were just trolling me. 2 hours of youtube later...
Image Image
synthorange
Look at this horrible post!
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by PikaPuff (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:53 am

Eh some guy (Sabremau on PA) watched it and posted cuteness and said it was watchable, so I put it on my to do list, and finally started around winter wrap up. :pinkieshrug:
Last edited by PikaPuff on Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
PikaPuff

Post by PikaPuff (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:58 am

so here's what I did at work while the SA thread was closed before coming home and finding out about this place

PikaPuff wrote:welp. look what the lack of sa thread has done to me

also i checked out allspark. it's quaint, and someoen there is trying to figure out a timeline like i was considering to do. but i don't feel like signing up there or anything.

edit- and i'm done with that. can't sign up for the hub's website so nothing will be saved, and I filled up three meters but still no cutie mark. oh well, time to sign up for the cutie mark crusaders I guess

edit again - [url="http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/My_Little_Pony_Friendship_is_Magic:_Adventures_in_Ponyville"]so i found out[/url] that you need to max all five to unlock a cutie mark/beat the game. and there's no way to grind out kindness. or save. ah well it was a fun waste of time while it lasted
PikaPuff

Post by brightman (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:30 am

I think it started when I saw IRQ's avatar and thought, "what the hell is that thing?" and decided it was probably from a kids cartoon I hadn't heard about and was meant to be purely ironic. Then I saw another avatar of Pinkie Pie dressed up in her costume from Dragonshy and somehow realized it was the same creature. Throw in a few more avatars and then I noticed the ad, didn't click it until I saw there was a second ad. Read the OP of the thread, particularly the Lauren Faust bit and decided to set the DVR for it since I appreciate good cartoons since they're a rarity these days.

Came back to the thread a few days later to see it had 2000 new posts :stararity:

Watched the episode later that day after watching the Flutterguy clip on YouTube the day before (which pretty much sold me on its own) and it was the PInkie Pie episode that was hilarious, so it was sorta like playing for my masculinity against ponies with loaded dice. Posted in the thread, watched the rest of the show all in one go on Friday night, worked on the avatar and title text idea and that was that.

Then the thread got gassed and I am still kinda bewildered by that, and here we all are now.
ImageImageImageImage
Ribbons!...of bad decisions...
brightman
420 Party err'day.
Semper Pie

Post by Big Boss (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:33 am

Hi, I'm kefkafloyd, and I dig the ponies. :pinkieshrug:

I saw a bit of, I think, "Watch Before you Sleep" when channel flipping and didn't particularly care for it. Then I read about Lauren Faust's impassioned defense against the Ms. Magazine article, and thought "Hey, Lauren's doing it? OK, I can respect that. It's basically Lauren Faust's Ponypuff Princesses, right?"

Everything changed when I was watching my nine year old niece one day, and she wanted to watch MLP. "Okay, go ahead." So I sat down and watched it with her, and hot damn, it was pretty funny. I'm pretty sure the episode was Dragonshy, and then I discovered it was all on the youtubes, and, well, here I am.
Big Boss
:twonk:
Rarity's Roughnecks
  • Website
Post by Beef Assistant (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:43 am

posting from phone so:

1) Saw vomiting ponytars, looked through post history
2) Saw original OP
3) was all whaaat and watched it
4) this is good
i find cartoons to be completely objectionable especially if they are of girl things + i have the mind of a 8 y/o
Beef Assistant

Post by saberjackal (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:14 am

I first came to MLP when I saw the first thread in the TVIV forum and took a look. I started reading and then decided to watch the first three episodes with my fiancee and we loved it, we were hooked. The next day we bought some the McDonald's toys and we've been playing Dead Space 2 and watching episodes casually after work. I like many odd or strange things but this was just something I did not see coming nor did I expect to enjoy the show. I look forward to future episodes and the sheer fun of the old thread.
saberjackal

Post by IRQ (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:36 am

Hahaha, I love how my avatar is responsible for a bunch of you watching this show. :ponydrugs:
IRQ
Semper Pie

Post by ixnay (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:40 am

IRQ wrote:Hahaha, I love how my avatar is responsible for a bunch of you watching this show. :ponydrugs:

Yeah, yours was the first one I saw and was pretty much responsible for me finding the thread too.
Image Image Image Image
ixnay
LOOK OUT, HERE COMES A BABY
Limo Learners
  • Website
Post by Big Boss (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:49 am

IRQ wrote:Hahaha, I love how my avatar is responsible for a bunch of you watching this show. :ponydrugs:

How IS Pinkie playing the banjo, anyway?
Big Boss
:twonk:
Rarity's Roughnecks
  • Website
Post by Numerosix (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:49 am

Saw some AV in BBS threads and gave a shot because the style was different but I was mostly afraid of the cool, edgy crap than being too much sugary.
But then it turned to be a fun show with great animation and I got hooked.

Too bad people can't fathom that a good cartoon is a good cartoon, no matter the subject.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Numerosix
Don't annoy Donald Dash!

Post by IRQ (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:53 am

kefkafloyd wrote:How IS Pinkie playing the banjo, anyway?

Through the magic of friendship.
IRQ
Semper Pie

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:56 am

I think the first time I'd heard about the show was this Shortpacked strip. Noticed that the creator of the strip and more than a few people who read it posting that it was pretty good, decided to give it a shot, brought up the first episode on Youtube.

Got as far as the part about one of the pony creator goddesses raising the sun and decided "Nah, this isn't gonna work for me. But hey, not gonna judge, other people like it? Good for them." And forgot about it for awhile.

Then I saw Agent Interrobang's first Pinkie Pie avatar in Poptarts Ninja's Star Trek: Online LP thread. Was amused, but still didn't bother to look any further into it.

Then someone linked to the first pony thread from either the ST:O LP or the BattleTech LP, and I followed the link, read the OP, noticed some trolling but also a lot of people stating that it was a genuinely good show. Skimmed the first Ms. Magazine article with by the stupid lady who didn't even bother to watch the show, and then read Ms. Faust's defense of her work. Watched the Pinkie Pie compilation, and was amused by it. Decided to give it another shot. Watched half the episodes and was hooked. (Would've watched them all, but I had to be up early for work the next day.)
ImageImage
W.T. Fits
Faithful Students

Post by The Black Stones (?) » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:04 pm

I followed you from "The Bad Thread"

I lurk there though. I don't really post there. I can't even muster up the effort to post about hating GRRM.
The Black Stones
Look, I just don't think this is a good idea.

Next

Return to Ponies