FiM reviews, interviews, media appearances

here a forum about pony (Friendship is Magic Discussion)

Moderators: Dexanth, Perrydotto, Venusy

Re: FiM reviews, interviews, media appearances

Post by Opposing Farce (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:39 am

Edit: Oh nevermind.
Opposing Farce
If it has to be Christmas for you to be nice
You're an asshole
If you think the season is the reason
You're a wanker
If someone has to dress up like Santa or you won't back a fundraise
Then you're a fuck face
Faithful Students
  • Website
  • Website
Post by Xavier Genisi (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:43 am

N'thing the praise on the awesome writeup, HH.

Honestly, my biggest worry with the show (which wasn't a big one, mind you, but it still was there) was if Season 2 might stray from the precedence set by the first season, with the show changing in a way that misses the point of why its so damn entertaining in the first place. Glad to hear that the show is still in great hands. :ohboy:
:snoop:[22:11] <%Berrybot> ofsheep: what does snooop doggy dogg, the shawshank redemption style :snoop:
ImageImageImage
Xavier Genisi
Seventeen days into this shambles of a season—Seventeen days!—and not a day goes by—not an hour—when I don't have to stand back from this endless parade of holiday cheer and remind myself, by means of several blows to the head, that I am here of my own volition, and not as a result of some—some elaborate trap set by Santa Claus.
Night Mares

Post by Godna (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:58 am

:awesomedash: So, AWESOME!
Stealing Momar's link for my sig
Godna
Want to know how to run a trainwreck? It's a snap!

Post by BartonFink (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:00 am

When I saw the length of the Headless Horse post I assumed he found a new line of dialogue he liked or something.

ba-dum-POW

Awesome write-up, hello Equestria Daily users. I'm actually most surprised that he gave a reason for Lauren leaving; I had always presumed that question never came up in interviews precisely because she didn't feel at will/want to talk about it. Thiessen's background and attitude should make everyone feel fine about him taking over the helm.
BartonFink
Stare Masters

Post by Blarghalt (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:14 am

Holy hell Headless Horse, you go the extra fathom when posting about ponies. You are a Good Poster. Carry on.
Blarghalt
Har har har.
Rainbow Racers

Post by MochaBean (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:24 am

Killer job, HH! That's a lot of info to chew on, but it also puts a lot of nagging questions to bed.

I didn't even realize Theissen was going to be at the con. Things are moving crazy fast in this fandom. :starity:
MochaBean
Semper Pie
  • Website

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:27 am

Thanks. I like to post.

Headless Horse
The yoke is strictly ornamental
Faithful Students

Post by loudmouth (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:37 am

Hello everyone,

I am the one who asked the question about OC ponies during the Q&A with Jayson. I want to apologize for the poor question I chose during the Q&A session, especially to Jayson if he's reading this, and also try and explain what I really meant.

First of all let me just state that I really don't read fanfiction; I only read "Cupcakes". I don't have my own "OC" or anything like that. I think the first problem with my question is that I implied that I wanted my OC to be on the show, or something along those lines. I swear this isn't the case, I really just want to watch the show for what it is.

This was my first BroNYCon I attended, and I was thinking about all the work that Purple Tinker put in to make the convention come together. For some reason I had the thought that she needed more recognition; That her efforts were going unnoticed. I was thinking, "What if this recognition manifested within the show itself? Something subtle like, a background pony". Background ponies, to me, seemed to be a bit of a challenge at times in the show's development. I noticed through out the course of the show many repeating background ponies in the same frames. This sort of thing can't be helped when you're focusing on so many more important aspects of making a show, and I'm glad to see that they won't stoop to the level of simple recolors. However it was still something that nagged at me, probably due to some OCD.

I had thought that outsourcing to the community for background ponies would be a viable solution. I failed to realize two things: Firstly, letting the show be so heavily influenced by the community would have a negative effect. It would mean subjecting the viewers to fan-service that only a handful of people would recognize, and no one would appreciate. Secondly, it was foolish of me to think that Purple needed more recognition. The mere presence of all of us was a testament to her successes, and it was probably all she ever wanted.

That's all I have to say. I hope everyone still managed to enjoy the convention.
loudmouth

Post by Aurora (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:05 am

loudmouth wrote:I only read "Cupcakes".

why
Aurora
Rainbow Racers

Post by loudmouth (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:11 am

Chunky wrote:
why

I just noticed all the popularity it had drawn, and thought to give it a chance. It was my first and last fanfic.
loudmouth

Post by JaceArveduin (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:17 am

Nice write up. I'd probably go to one of the conventions, but I'm a broke college guy in Oklahoma.
[center]Image[/center]
Make a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire, he's warm for the rest of his life.[/center]
JaceArveduin

Post by Frosthawk (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:28 am

Man, I should have known that if ther was anything that finally got this place linked at EqD, it'd be one of HH's awesome long posts. :3:
ImageImageImageImageImage
Frosthawk
Forever yearning to set these posts ablaze
Maud Squad
Post by Aragrist (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:41 am

I'm glad that things were answered as they were really. OC's and backgrounders belong to fan fic community. If they start to become main cast show characters then the fan created personalities will die and be over taken by the official personalities and I like Lyra and Bon Bon just the way they are. I also love Vinyle Scratch with red eyes, in fact I love all the fan created Background and OC personalities and backstories and other added content. I really want the show to focus only on the mane 6 with a little sprinkling of Backgrounders. Luna is one thing I fear most about this season. She only had a few seconds of dialog in season 1 and now she has a huge personality and cult following based on what fan fic has written about her. When she shows up in her own season 2 episode will she even be Luna? Will she be so different that no pony even knows how to react to her? I hope not. I hope that the brief time on screen was enough to get everypony both fan and series writer to understand her personality and gel it in a way that makes her the sweet sad lovable Luna we want to see.
Aragrist
Somepony to remember.

Post by ComradeCosmobot (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:51 am

Aragrist wrote:Luna is one thing I fear most about this season. She only had a few seconds of dialog in season 1 and now she has a huge personality and cult following based on what fan fic has written about her. When she shows up in her own season 2 episode will she even be Luna? Will she be so different that no pony even knows how to react to her? I hope not. I hope that the brief time on screen was enough to get everypony both fan and series writer to understand her personality and gel it in a way that makes her the sweet sad lovable Luna we want to see.

ComradeCosmobot
Site Admin

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:22 am

Awesome interview there, Headless Horse. It's getting me pumped up for ponies. :awesomedash:

Man, I wish I could have gone to BroNYcon. New York is only a couple hours away from me, if even. I should have called off from work and went.
Image Image Image
xbox live gamertag: Sgt Scyther | psn handle: SgtScyther | 3ds: 4871-3416-5250 | nnid: SgtScyther
DarkMatter
I BEST MEGUCA
Stare Masters

Post by Aragrist (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:24 am

ComradeCosmobot wrote:

Exactly! Best to just keep Backgrounders in the background and only give them a few lines here and there when needed. It's like what Sibsy said on the bronyville podcast. They focus on the main cast and the fans focus on the backgrounders. Don't get me wrong. I'll still love the show when Luna shows up even if she's different because the Fan universe is separate from the Canon. It's like Alternate worlds of what if. The main show just gives the fan writers a backbone with which to flesh out their own fantasies.

Anyway, I'm going to go sit on the couch and read some more Fallout Equestria.
Aragrist
Somepony to remember.

Post by blonk (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:30 am

Headless Horse wrote:the best damn post

Wow, incredible write-up, HH! Awesome job asking worthwhile questions and going through the trouble of sharing it with us. I can't believe how excited I got over reading some of those bullet points. You are seriously the best.
blonk
Ah, my ridiculously circuitous plan is two-four-six-eighths complete.
Semper Pie

Post by Oreo Speedwagon (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:40 am

loudmouth wrote:
I just noticed all the popularity it had drawn, and thought to give it a chance. It was my first and last fanfic.

Cupcakes is junk, you could try other fanfic that are good if you want(they do exist).
:iiaia:
Oreo Speedwagon
Don't you mean SEXY DYNAMITE?
(Did you know? Alpacas are related to camels.)
Minty Murderer

Post by drunkill (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:54 am

Edit: Stop lying Yarma :applejargh: ^^^

Media appearance: http://io9.com/5843577/my-little-pony-r ... -star-wars

Sadly they had to go and mention the Luke Allen ( :vomitpony: ) article and older generations of ponies. It wasn't as well recived at the Q/Discord news they posted up last week. Oh well... At least they included the video.
drunkill
hat

Post by Ponder (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:25 am

Headless Horse wrote:MEGAPOST

(so pumped)
Ponder
Minty Murderer
  • Website

Post by Scuderia Ferrarity (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:40 am

Wait so Headless flew out to NYC and attended the pony con - as part of a business trip or just purely for the pony con?
Because - well to put it nicely - I like ponies, and Headless likes ponies more than I like ponies. Ponies.

I guess we can put the whole 'suited for success' idea of Hasbro interfering too much with the show to rest. They have final approval, but they're only there to help. So it's just small nudges here and there.

So weirder bits in the first few episodes are just the team spinning it's wheels looking for a workable workflow.
Still - it's like game development and many other things- quality people are ambitious and want to produce quality work and expand their skillsets + build their portfolio/resume. And it helps that their boss is on board with this as well and helped build a quality team.
Just like a game dev firm that consistently produces hits.
Scuderia Ferrarity
Fashion Queens

Post by Liska (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:41 am

HH, that's so awesome you got to finally ask all those questions you've really been wanting to ask, and having them answered!

And sup, EqD. :)
Liska
clop clop clop clop
clop clop clop clop
clop clop clop clop
clop clop clop clop
Faithful Students
  • Website

Post by Mystic Cave zOWNd (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:55 am

That was an awesome post, HH, thanks for going to all the effort! It's made my morning. :crack:
Sigs off crew "This can all be avoided by making good posts." -Kefkafloyd
Mystic Cave zOWNd
Shit happens
Faithful Students

Post by Opposing Farce (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:20 am

loudmouth wrote:Hello everyone,

I am the one who asked the question about OC ponies during the Q&A with Jayson. I want to apologize for the poor question I chose during the Q&A session, especially to Jayson if he's reading this, and also try and explain what I really meant.

That's understandable. I realize I probably came off like a huge asshole about the whole thing; like I said, the fandom questions are kind of a pet peeve of mine, and I just kind of wanted to vent about it a bit. I was talking more in a general sort of sense, really (since it's a question that seems to come up all the time in interviews), and it seems like your heart was in the right place so I feel pretty bad about jumping to conclusions like that.
Opposing Farce
You're an asshole
You're a wanker
Then you're a fuck face
Faithful Students
  • Website
  • Website
Post by Dal (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:22 am

Headless Horse wrote:Thanks. I like to post.

Never stop :allears:

Also thanks for the sweet interview, its good to know that they are still going to make the same amazing show they have been!
Undecided wrote:Every time you write a story I can't help but sigh, because I know I'm gong to lose another man card.
Dal
Praise the Sun
Celestia's Champions
  • Website

Post by kefkafloyd (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:35 pm

Horse, had I not given you a gangag last week, this would have punched your ticket five times over. Hopefully you gave us a plug! :dearcelestia:
kefkafloyd
You dare bribe Santa? I'm going to shove coal so far up your stocking you'll be coughing up diamonds!
Rarity's Roughnecks
  • Website
Post by Pyrovile (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:49 pm

Wow Headless Horse you are the best.
That's such a great write up of the whole thing and there's so much good info in there.
I bet watching the episode in a room with 300 people and Jayson Thiesson was the best, like a live stream but in person and ten times better.
By any chance did anyone ask about a DVD/Blu-Ray release of the series? Normally I would have assumed that this was up to someone at Hasbro and Jayson probably wouldn't have much say in it, but since someone asked about a soundtrack CD and he either knew something about it or at least that he was aiming for it so I thought it might be worth an ask.
Pyrovile
Stare Masters

Post by Ashenai (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:50 pm

loudmouth wrote:Hello everyone,

Hey man. OC's get a (mostly well-deserved) bad rap around here, but I just wanted to post that I liked your explanation and I think your intentions were the best. Thanks for the post, it can't have been easy :)
Ashenai
Semper Pie

Post by pastalunch (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:26 pm

Headless Horse wrote:[*]My theory that Hasbro was throwing huge amounts of money at this show was unfounded

Haha, how'd you figure that? One of the first comments Faust made was that the production schedule is very short and that the budget is smaller than anything she'd ever worked on before; the comment was deleted after a while. Plus, the animation mistakes, man.
pastalunch

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:28 pm

Scuderia Ferrarity wrote:Wait so Headless flew out to NYC and attended the pony con - as part of a business trip or just purely for the pony con?
Because - well to put it nicely - I like ponies, and Headless likes ponies more than I like ponies. Ponies.

Nah, more like I'm only a hopskipandjumphour train ride from downtown Manhattan, so all I really had to do was make some clever excuses. :smirk:

I guess we can put the whole 'suited for success' idea of Hasbro interfering too much with the show to rest. They have final approval, but they're only there to help. So it's just small nudges here and there.

Thanks for reminding me of something I'd forgotten to get down into my notes! Apparently Suited For Success was in many ways about writers/boarders blowing off steam under a micromanaging director or corporate influence. They've all been there, and it was really cathartic. He kinda mentioned that out of the blue, and when I compared it to "Stimpy's Cartoon Show", he agreed with the parallel. (God it was fun talking animation shop. Haven't been able to do that in years. Guy has a rubber face just like every animator I've known, and the whole John K. "specific acting"/"keep a mirror handy and draw yourself making exaggerated faces" is something he keeps close to his heart.)

Pyrovile wrote:By any chance did anyone ask about a DVD/Blu-Ray release of the series? Normally I would have assumed that this was up to someone at Hasbro and Jayson probably wouldn't have much say in it, but since someone asked about a soundtrack CD and he either knew something about it or at least that he was aiming for it so I thought it might be worth an ask.

Someone did ask; his first reaction was "I thought they already did put out a DVD?" When someone pointed out that no, it's just one or two episodes here and there as toy premiums, he said "Oh, well in that case I don't know; that's on the marketing/merchandise side of things".

E: Oh yeah—

kefkafloyd wrote:Hopefully you gave us a plug! :dearcelestia:

I did mention PG to a few of the saner people I talked to. It seemed like everyone knew about the SA pony exodus, but nobody knew goons had regrouped just over the hill and were now 70,000 posts strong. :smirk:

E2: ^^^ As to the budget, I assumed the reason the show looked so damn good and had such awesome people on it was that Hasbro had budgeted an order of magnitude more for this show than they had for, say, G3 or MLP Tales. I mean, they could have just farmed the whole thing out to China or Korea like they used to, right? I figured getting a domestic studio full of highly trained artists and directors would be a huge financial commitment way beyond what they'd ever done before.

If this means modern techniques and technology have made the cost advantage of offshoring animation (Top Draw notwithstanding) far less important, then I'm all the more hopeful for the future of the industry.
Headless Horse
The yoke is strictly ornamental
Faithful Students

Post by Davyinatoga (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:26 pm

Headless Horse wrote:Ridiculously super-duper post

Excuse me while I gawk and turn green with envy over here.

Seriously, I have nothing better to post than that it's gonna take a while for all that awesomeness to fully process in my head. I didn't even know there were MLP:FiM conventions already formulated, and it still hasn't quite been a fill year!
ImageImageImage
[06:03] <Berrybot> chaossonic come pee in my boots.
Davyinatoga
MMMMmmmmMMMMmmmm MMMMmmmmMMMMmmmm MMMMmmmmMMMMmmmm MMMMmmmmMMMMmmmm MMMMmmmmMMMMmmmm
Semper Pie

Post by Isaak (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:40 pm

Headless Horse wrote:Thanks. I like to post.

Pony on Headless, pony on.
Isaak
Equus Ludens :3
Semper Pie
  • Website
  • Website

Post by Throbulator (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:50 pm

I asked what possibly could be ponier than watching ponies on a live stream. Now I know the answer. :D
What an excellent excellent post.
Willsun was kicked by Willsun (THROB'S REPORT CARD: Biology (B-), Chemistry (C+), Geometry (B), PONIOLOGY (A+++))
Grilox wrote:"Yes Grilox would have an avatar of the worst scene in ponies of course" - Throbulator, 2012
Throbulator
I know everything about candy!
Honorary Wonderbolts
  • Website

Post by ozone (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:51 pm

Headless Horse wrote:Awesome writeup

Awesome writeup HH. :awesomedash:

It blew my mind when I got linked to here from EqD. It also blew my mind when I saw the most users on is 401. We still have a lot of guests on right now.

Hello EqDers! Welcome to our little corner of the internet. Don't be afraid to join in, we don't bite (unless you're creepy). :D
ozone
BRO DOWN
Semper Pie
  • Website

Post by Isaak (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:36 pm

Wouldn't make biting them us creepy as well?

How about nibbling! No... that's worse...
Isaak
Equus Ludens :3
Semper Pie
  • Website
  • Website

Post by Opposing Farce (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:45 pm

Isaak wrote:Wouldn't make biting them us creepy as well?

How about nibbling! No... that's worse...

Creeps are like reverse-vampires, then?
Opposing Farce
You're an asshole
You're a wanker
Then you're a fuck face
Faithful Students
  • Website
  • Website
Post by The great M (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:59 pm

Cool writeup HH :chillin: Definitely some crazy stuff in there.
The great M
Pinke Torte das Pony.

---
Faithful Students

Post by gluestick (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:00 pm

Hey Ponygoons, long time lurker, first time poster here. I just wanted to comment on this:

Headless Horse wrote:I don't know what kind of incentives they can offer people to sweeten the pot now that we've had Jayson show up at one

The answer to this is Lauren Faust. At the very end of the con, the head organizer of Bronycon announced that she's been in contact with her and that Lauren said the idea of going to a Bronycon was tempting, but she hasn't committed yet. Next one's planned for December, FYI.

Though after her, I'm assuming Bronycon'll go after the voice actors and singers.
gluestick
how do i became princess

Post by diribigal (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:57 pm

Just chiming in that you did a great job getting good answers to burning questions, and bringing a wave of new members here, HH. :jingo:
ImageImageHello Alex.
diribigal
Neither dirigible nor dirigibal.
Special Flowers
  • Website

Post by Nissl (?) » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:39 pm

gluestick wrote:The answer to this is Lauren Faust. At the very end of the con, the head organizer of Bronycon announced that she's been in contact with her and that Lauren said the idea of going to a Bronycon was tempting, but she hasn't committed yet. Next one's planned for December, FYI.

Though after her, I'm assuming Bronycon'll go after the voice actors and singers.

Personally, I'd really love to ask some of the writers some questions. Fly in Rob Renzetti, Amy Keating Rogers, and Meghan McCarthy and I'm *there*. And it would be awesome to bring in artists like Sibsy who are interacting with the fanbase as well.

Anyone else think the quarterly system is kinda odd? Sort of a hybrid between a meetup and a standard annual convention at this point.
Nissl
Marching bravely into a bold new pony future
Semper Pie

Previous Next

Return to General Ponies