I want more from the show.

here a forum about pony (General Pony Talk)

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

CastletonSnob

I want more from the show.

Post by CastletonSnob (?) » Wed May 22, 2019 7:32 am

When will the show have deep, complex characters, great worldbuilding and lore, and well-done drama? I’m talking about something like Breaking Bad or The Wire.

Or am I just gonna have to find another show if I want that?

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Re: I want more from the show.

Post by Aramek (?) » Wed May 22, 2019 7:57 am

Yeah, you only get that from Popeye cartoons. Sorry.
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Wed May 22, 2019 8:16 am

Well isn't the show about to end in like 10 episodes or something? Probably gonna have to find a new show soon regardless.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed May 22, 2019 8:46 am

OP, if you want a TV drama, go watch one of them. FiM puts in a big amount of effort in that regard relative to its peers in the genre, but if that isn't enough for you then oh well. (Especially considering that we're in the final season.)

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Wed May 22, 2019 9:38 am

When I joined the fandom when the first season aired it was praised for its complex characters and good world building.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed May 22, 2019 10:15 am

If you want to watch Breaking Bad, then watch that. A creative effort always has goals, and My Little Pony's goal is to be cute, fun and sell toys. By the standards of a cartoon like that, it puts in a pretty strong amount of quality compared to most of its peers. In fact, Friendship is Magic has been cited to help more cartoons like it to get made - Cartoons that are feminine but still take the audience more seriously than the average "cute stuff for little girls" product. In this realm, Friendship is Magic has succeeded admirably and fulfills its goals. It doesn't want to be a show about constant murder, drugs and complicated psychological drama, so you are not going to find that.

Please try to be aware of what you are asking with these things. This is literally a cute toy cartoon intended for young girls around the ages of 5-12. The fact that it reached a bigger audience than that was a happy bonus from the point of view of its creators, not the goal. The fact that we as adults enjoy the show is great, but it wasn't the original goal, and the writers have said time and time again that the show is good because they stick to their goal of entertaining children first and foremost.

If you seriously expect a children's cartoon to suddenly become The Wire, your options are to either read some of the myriads of fanfiction that do this exact sort of thing, or watch one of the many adult drama TV shows that are still being made constantly.
Image /// Image /// Image