S09E09: Sweet and Smoky

Episode, movie, and comic book discussion threads are kept here once they have been released.

Moderators: Wayoshi, Venusy

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

S09E09: Sweet and Smoky

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Wed May 22, 2019 4:03 pm

Smolder returns to the Dragonlands with Spike and Fluttershy to help cheer up her sensitive brother, Garble, but when they arrive they discover the dragon eggs aren't hatching.
This thread is for discussion of the episode. This episode airs at 11:30 Eastern / 8:30 Pacific on Saturday, May 25!

Official preview clips and images are okay to post, as is speculation about the episode.

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Re: S09E09: Sweet and Smoky

Post by The Doctor (?) » Wed May 22, 2019 7:09 pm

I was really hoping that wouldn't be her brother, but of course it is.

Still, Fluttershy and Spike episode, so I'm looking forward to it.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Wed May 22, 2019 8:12 pm

I know I'm supposed to, but man I hate Garble :mad:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Thu May 23, 2019 9:35 am

It sounds more like a task for Twilight.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Thu May 23, 2019 6:31 pm

Octavia wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 8:12 pm
I know I'm supposed to, but man I hate Garble :mad:
Careful, he's sensitive.

Evidently.
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Sat May 25, 2019 3:05 am

deleted
But...
This one's too young

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sat May 25, 2019 11:39 am

Did Ember just say "Appledash"? :squintyjack:

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sat May 25, 2019 12:02 pm

This episode gave me validation in openly enjoying the pony show. :snobtavia:

PonyHag714
Here comes the helmet!

Post by PonyHag714 (?) » Sat May 25, 2019 12:13 pm

This was pretty good. Garble as a beatnik caught me off guard, but it was certainly different.

Fluttershy was terrific. She has come a long way since the start of the series. :allears:

"Are all these yours?" Image

I'm a fan of Ember, so it was nice to see her and bringing the no nonsense leadership. She needs to brush up on pony names though. Image

Those baby dragons were super cute. Image
Image ("Don't try to reform me, Hag, because I'm made of cold stone.")

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Sat May 25, 2019 12:38 pm

Decent episode. The beat poetry kinda dragged on, but the moral was good, seeing Ember again was good, and Fluttershy fared surprisingly well.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sat May 25, 2019 1:46 pm

One of the better Spike episodes by quite a margin for the only reason that Spike doesn't behave like an idiot. On the same note we have Garble but we were already made to dislike him.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat May 25, 2019 2:10 pm

I still hate Garble, but this episode had tons of great Fluttershy and Spike stuff, so I call it a win.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sat May 25, 2019 3:28 pm

Adiwan wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 1:46 pm
One of the better Spike episodes by quite a margin for the only reason that Spike doesn't behave like an idiot.
This is a very good point :tada:

Captain Rufus
Faithful Students

Post by Captain Rufus (?) » Sat May 25, 2019 4:46 pm

It was aight. A bit of fun. This season seems like they are trying to at least give us a send off for pretty much everything that's come before though. Pretty obvious but not bad really. We get to see what positive change our cast has done to the world on the way out without it being a montage at the end.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Sun May 26, 2019 3:17 am

It occurred to me rather late that this is very specifically an episode about how far Fluttershy has come since "Dragonshy." Back then, she was okay with baby dragons, but:
:pinkieshrug: Spike is a dragon. You're not scared of him.
:fear: Yes, because he's not a huge, gigantic, terrifying, enormous, teeth-gnashing, sharp-scale having, horn-wearing, smoke-snoring, could eat a pony in one bite, totally all grown-up dragon!

Now she's willing to go straight to the Dragonlands, chat with the dragons, and stand up to the worst of all the dragons (teenagers) when they're getting rowdy.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sun May 26, 2019 3:24 am

The dragons she saw in this episode are a lot smaller and more manageable than a package that is 10 times the size in Dragonshy.

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Mon May 27, 2019 6:01 am

deleted
But...
This one's too young

Highbrow Dash
But why would you post such a thing?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Mon May 27, 2019 6:05 pm

Adiwan wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:24 am
The dragons she saw in this episode are a lot smaller and more manageable than a package that is 10 times the size in Dragonshy.
Yeah it was weird when Ember called "all the dragons" and it was just a bunch of teenagers :v:

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Mon May 27, 2019 11:40 pm

All the dragons (within earshot -- using the dragon cutie mark summon spell has ridiculous long-distance charges)

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:59 pm

This episode seems like a good send-off to Garble and the gang. And yeah, Spike and Fluttershy REALLY fared well here.
SlateSlabrock wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:17 am
It occurred to me rather late that this is very specifically an episode about how far Fluttershy has come since "Dragonshy." Back then, she was okay with baby dragons, but:
:pinkieshrug: Spike is a dragon. You're not scared of him.
:fear: Yes, because he's not a huge, gigantic, terrifying, enormous, teeth-gnashing, sharp-scale having, horn-wearing, smoke-snoring, could eat a pony in one bite, totally all grown-up dragon!

Now she's willing to go straight to the Dragonlands, chat with the dragons, and stand up to the worst of all the dragons (teenagers) when they're getting rowdy.
I loved that. Fluttershy really went through development in the past 9 years.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:11 pm

Also, Ember blushing when Fluttershy asked if all the eggs were hers. WOW :-I

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:08 pm

It's :ponydrugs: time again for me! What's on tap tonight? A dragon episode? Huh. Well, Spike's been an A+ player this season so I'm feeling good about this.

* If you're a student, Fluttershy would be an ideal teacher-chaperone. Since, you know, she's a total doormat and she'd let you get away with drinking. I bet.
* They're going conveniently long without naming the brother. This is like when boasty Boromir traveled with the fellowship for 2 months and never mentioned Faramir, so it's a big surprise when Frodo and Sam meet him later.
* Hey, maybe Smolder's brother is Faramir! :ponder: Naw just kidding, I already got spoiled on this one.
* I've been to Rotorua in New Zealand, the spa town that stinks of sulfur 24/7. It's ... it's not great. I mean it's a pretty town with nice hotels, it just stinks.
* I wonder if non-ponies like Ember get offended when Fluttershy calls them "creatures", or if that's the accepted species-neutral term.
* There's a quest line in Ultima VI where you have to obtain a dragon egg for an ex-pirate-turned chef, which he will exchange for a piece of a map. And now I'm trying to imagine which virtues the different ponies would be maxed out in. Fluttershy is all about Compassion, of course, which would make her a bard.
* It would rule if Smolder's brother were actually Crackle. But alas, it is not to be.
* Yes Spike, laugh fire is dangerous! As opposed to the non-dangerous kinds of fire! (Don't get me wrong though, it's pretty neat that dragons can breathe different colors.)
* I like the metallic clanking when Garble and Smolder do their handshake.
* Is this actually lava, or is it magma? I have no idea which is which. I guess I could look it up but in the spirit of this episode, I'm going to take the dragon approach to things and be super lazy.
* I hope they chlorinated the lava so no one gets sick. :good:
* I am totally invested in the Fluttershy-Ember plot and I hope it turns out dragons only hatch when you play death metal at them.
* Spike knows what's up. Destroying red velvet cake is the foulest evil this show has portrayed.
* "Thank you for speaking your truth" :lol:
* If you squint in the background, you can see a burned-up Anakin Skywalker crawling around. Made ya look!
* Fluttershy doesn't dick around with dragons anymore.
* Garble doing Beat poetry ... is ... not an image I was expecting. Well done show, after 9 seasons you can still surprise me. :good:
* I just realized that is a HECKING LOT of dragon eggs. That's like a world-conquering number of dragons. I am now genuinely concerned about them hatching. They must be stopped.
* Did Garble just dab? Who am I kidding, of course he did. Of course that happened.
* You can't take the baby dragons, Fluttershy, they are someone's children. :rainbert:

SUMMARY: Hard-nosed Fluttershy and poet Garble were the highlights of ... eh ... let's say a solid B episode. The ending was weirdly curt and abrupt, so in the spirit of the episode I'm going to do the same thing and