General Firefly's Legacy: The Wonderbolts History Thread!

here a forum about pony (General Pony Talk)

Moderators: Perrydotto, Dexanth, Venusy, Wayoshi

General Firefly's Legacy: The Wonderbolts History Thread!

Post by Rachael33 (?) » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:31 pm

The Wonderbolts! A Canon History
http://moongazeponies.deviantart.com/art/Wonderbolts-Cutie-Mark-283208290

Chapter 1: History and Purpose

Pre-Luna's banishment, the "military" of Equestria was the EUP Guard, which was seen as an unneeded force, implying that all was fine in Equestria. Post-banishment, the "Protective Pony Platoons" were created, implying that evil once again infiltrated the world. (For you people that believe Luna was infected by something, you may be correct.) These forces, due to their name, most likely had the job of protecting Equestria from the outside world.

As far as we know, the Wonderbolts were formed out of the Protective Pony Platoons. This implies that there Equestria did in fact possess a military that had different divisions and commands (Celestia's Royal Guard may actually be another Division, with Shining Armor as their commander). What the purpose of each group was or is remains to be seen, but one can surmise that their job was peace keeping, and this might explain their deployment when Spike was ravaging Ponyville. More research (or an imagination) are required to truly decipher their purpose in the world of Equestria. It has also been noted that Equestria is a very dangerous place, especially around the Everfree forest, so the idea of them being peacekeepers and defenders is feasible. Now, it was also mentioned that the Wonderbolt Reserve is a RECENT creation and this may mean that more "Wonderbolts" may be required for a special purpose, further adding to this idea of them being defenders.

The Wonderbolts, as an acrobatics team, have existed since the year after the banishment of Luna. To commemorate the first Celestial year of peace, a team of seven elite flyers under General Firefly was formed to perform, the results of which gave them the name "Wonderbolts." This was because of the four bolts of lighting that splashed across the sky at the end of their routine.

Other officers had effects upon the organization as well. Admiral Fairweather and Colonel Purple Dart, for example, seemed to bestow a greater degree of discipline onto the group, something that may have been lacking in the original group. Pinkie's Rap mentioned they also added "heart" to the group, which may have shown a decrease in the general morale of the "Wonderbolts," perhaps due to war or other circumstances. General Flash and Admiral Fairy Flight, meanwhile, worked together to make the "Wonderbolts" what we see them as today, an elite group of flyers. They perhaps worked with Commander Easy Glider to establish drills or to choreograph the routines as to make them spectacular. This implies that the Wonderbolts at one point weren't exactly the best performers and needed to be reminded and shown what to do. Either way, they became an organization adored by the ponies of Equestria.

Chapter 2: Organization

This is where I scratched my head a bit... The ranks made no sense when I heard them, so I began to think.

First off, the ranks associated with the Army seem to be those which command the Wonderbolts. General and Colonel in particular. Admirals seemed to head Squadrons, while Commanders perhaps more specialized groups, such as Commander Easy Glider. There is sadly not much else that can be discerned on this subject due to the randomness of the names.

Chapter 3: People and uniforms

In looking at the famous commanders, we can get a sense for how the Wonderbolt uniform changed over time.

First off, we have General Firefly, the pony that gave the name to the group we know as the Wonderbolts. With her, we can group the traditional flying uniform of the Wonderbolts, as shown by Rarity.

Image General Firefly
Image Traditional flying uniform

I understand Flair de Mare was also shown by Rarity, but she will be mentioned later.

Next, we have Admiral Fairweather and Colonel Purple Dart. We learn, from Twilight's flashcards, that Colonel Purple Dart was the 4th leader of the Wonderbolts. In Pinkie's Rap, we learn that together, they helped add "steel" and "heart" to the organization. I interpreted those as discipline and honor, perhaps even the boosting of morale.

Image Colonel Purple Dart
Image Admiral Fairweather

Now, we come to the most picture heavy section of this... (I took 14 of them...)

We have three people to cover here. General Flash and Admiral Fairy Flight worked together to create the Wonderbolts we see today. Their uniforms seem to be that of a 1940s American, so I am grouping them together. General Flash was the 10th Leader of the Wonderbolts while Admiral Fury Flight commanded the 7th Squadron (this is where I formed my idea of the difference in ranks). The idea of separate squadrons implies this is a truly massive group in Equestria, with a fairly intricate command structure. With this, it can be implied they play a large part in Equestrian defense, again showing why they reacted to Spike in Ponyville.

Here are their uniforms.

Image Admiral Fairy Flight
Image General Flash
Image General Flash type uniform
Image Another example of that type of Uniform

We now come to Commander Easy Glider, who most likely worked with General Flash and Admiral Fairy Flight. He was responsible for coming up with flight patterns and techniques still used today.

Image Commander Easy Glider

Now, we come to Flair de Mare. She was responsible for streamlining the flight uniform. This is why I save her for last. She gave them the final form. On top of this, I will add Spitfire. Spitfire is probably a Commander or an Admiral in the Wonderbolts, but it is hard to say without any other information. Either way, she deserves to be mentioned in a post about them. PICTURES INCOMING!

Image Spitfire and her Uniform
Image Modern Wonderbolts Uniform as shown by this scruffy guy
Image Modern Wonderbolts Flying uniform
http://www.bronibooru.com/posts/35777?tags=wonderbolts
Image Alternate Dress shirt shown off by Soarin. Thanks to PictishBeast for this.

-------------------------------

So, there is the history I have so far and I am putting it here just in case future episodes give us anymore information. :party:

Feel free to post anything Wonderbolts related as this thread is really for their discussion. I am just starting it with a brief (ha) canon based history. :)

Yay Wonderbolts! :awesomedash:

And...sorry for this technically being the second time I posted it...It was suggested to me to make it its own thread. (Ain't that a wonderful piece of English? :P)
Last edited by Rachael33 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rachael33
Stare Masters

Post by PictishBeast (?) » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:39 pm

I like seeing this kind of stuff laid out.

From a modern uniform standpoint, there's also this to consider:

PictishBeast
Character Select: Winter Nickel
Abilities: Cynicism lv1, Ennui lv1
Inventory: Turnip
Diamond Dusters

Post by Highbrow Dash (?) » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:53 pm

Those giant hats don't look so great for flying, so I'm going to assume that's just Rarity's artistic license :gotcha:
Highbrow Dash
but why would you post such a thing??
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Rachael33 (?) » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:04 am

Even Rarity didn't like the look of the uniforms, though. :P

We do have Flair de Mare though, who streamlined their uniforms and that is why I put her near the end of the uniform section. I have a feeling she designed the current uniforms, as before that what we see are what they used. Though many of them look snazzy, I doubt they were functional, as was pointed out. We can't be too sure though. :fluttersmith: Darn our lack of resources! :rainbert:

I didn't mean to offend you, if I did Highbrow...Sorry... :(
Last edited by Rachael33 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rachael33
Stare Masters

Post by The Doctor (?) » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:05 am

Well, the ones pinkie and Fluttershy wear, look like pilot caps, but they're in a safe cockpit. Twilight is wearing a Air Force cap.
The Doctor
Turner of all things timey wimey
Celestia's Champions
  • Website

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:33 am

Maybe ancient Wonderbolts had heaaaaads as big as horseeeeesss :scootawoo:
SlateSlabrock
The information's unavailable to the mortal man.
Celestia's Champions

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:31 am

Highbrow Dash wrote:
Those giant hats don't look so great for flying, so I'm going to assume that's just Rarity's artistic license :gotcha:

Even if she's trying to help a friend learn, would Rarity still sacrifice historical accuracy for the sake of fashion? A small part of me actually feels like she would.
Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters
  • Website
Post by Doctor Wheeze (?) » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:29 am

Highbrow Dash wrote:

They're probably the dress uniforms, akin to what Soarin wore to the wedding. I would imagine their flight suits would have to be more streamlined :ponder:
ImageImageImageImageImage
..... :hatte:
:dreamworks:
Doctor Wheeze
:backaway: :flutterunsmith:
Stare Masters
  • Website
Post by Rachael33 (?) » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:49 am

Doctor Wheeze wrote:They're probably the dress uniforms, akin to what Soarin wore to the wedding. I would imagine their flight suits would have to be more streamlined :ponder:

That depends, is that before or after Flair de Mare? :gotcha:
Rachael33
Stare Masters

Post by PictishBeast (?) » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:22 pm

Looking at the pictures of the historical costumes, I like the real-world influences: "commercial airline pilot," "drum major," "Civil War re-enactor," "Cap'n Crunch," and "WWII bomber pilot."

That last one (Twi as Commander Easy Glider) is the coolest. My Spidey Sense is tingling and it sees...future fan cosplay.
PictishBeast
Character Select: Winter Nickel
Abilities: Cynicism lv1, Ennui lv1
Inventory: Turnip
Diamond Dusters

Return to Ponies