The General Gaming Thread: "What 'cha been playin?"

Ooh, I love fun things! (Games, both video and traditional, discussion. looser posting styles allowed)

Moderators: Fizzbuzz, DarkMatter

Re: The General Gaming Thread: "What 'cha been playin?"

Post by milesluigi (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:26 am

There are two games that I recently finished not too long ago.

The first is Trine 2, which I played through with Isaak. The game is a really clever puzzle platformer that was really enjoyable to play with another person. It also has a lot of really beautiful visuals, as it uses strong colors very nicely.
:-D

While playing through Trine 2, Venusy took this screen shot showing that the netcode in the game is not perfect. (I'm the Wizard, and I'm standing in midair on his screen, but I am certain I was on the gear on my screen.)

The other game I recently finished is Super Mario 64: Star Road. It may be a rom hack, but it honestly feels like a true sequel to Super Mario 64. It doesn't stray away too far from the original formula for Mario 64, but all the content and courses are fully new, and the whole game is a fresh experience.

I streamed myself playing through the entire game, and if the original Mario 64 wasn't enough I really do recommend checking out Star Road. Just watch out for Course 9, Mad Musical Mess. You may want to grind 1-ups before attempting it.

Good luck getting 100 coins without falling :twonk:
ImageImage
milesluigi
Blind Forest? Dealing with it.
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters
  • Website
Post by Higsby (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:48 am

milesluigi wrote:Image

Good luck getting 100 coins without falling :twonk:

If you do play this game, milesluigi can teach you the art of the savestate. It truly is a magical thing. :wingsright:

Until it breaks and stops working
Higsby
Faithful Students
Post by Concerned Reader (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:16 am

So I've been playing through Old World Blues. Started it at level 10 which made it very challenging and honestly probably more fun than it would have been at level 15. Just about to head into the forbidden zone and I'm level 20ish now. Also have a dog gun.
Concerned Reader
There is a true face hidden behind the masks we wear. Mine just happens to be one in the same.
Agents of Chaos
  • Website
Post by Quanta (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:20 am

Concerned Reader wrote:Also have a dog gun.

A dog that shoots bullets, or a gun that shoots dogs?
ImageImage
3DS Friend Code: 2852-6885-2752
Quanta
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Aurora (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:23 am

Oh, I apparently missed any notification you were streaming that game. That looks really interesting.
Image Image
Aurora
nyaa
Rainbow Racers

Post by Concerned Reader (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:42 am

Quanta wrote:A dog that shoots bullets, or a gun that shoots dogs?

It is a minigun powered by a dog brain that barks and shoots .357 bullets. Also it whimpers when you swap weapons.
Concerned Reader
There is a true face hidden behind the masks we wear. Mine just happens to be one in the same.
Agents of Chaos
  • Website
Post by Davyinatoga (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:54 am

Miles, do you only LP pc games, specifically online play?
ImageImageImageImage
Davyinatoga
Whoo, the backdraft from last night's chili causing all sorts of havoc tonight!
Semper Pie

Post by InsertAuthorHere (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:07 am

Finally gave in and got Papers, Please, and...

Well, there's issues. I like the idea of the game, and I admit that it's fun and challenging, but there's something about it that really sits wrong with me about it. Maybe it's because playing as part of an obstructive bureaucracy ruining people's lives over technicalities is a lot less fun when you actually are a part of an obstructive bureaucracy ruining people's lives over technicalities, but...damn, I just felt like shit after playing for only a couple in-game days.

It's obviously a great game and well-designed. I just wish I hadn't spent ten bucks on something that edges too close to reality for me these days.
InsertAuthorHere

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:40 am

Started playing Skullgirls. Really fun, well-flowing game but as usual I have a hard time memorizing special moves. Eh, if I feel like practicing I'm hoping that improves.

I'm also sure this is by no means an unpopular opinion but Peacock is the best, no contest. Her design is just hella fun.
Image /// Image /// Image
Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos
  • Website
  • Website
Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:54 am

InsertAuthorHere wrote:Finally gave in and got Papers, Please, and...

Well, there's issues. I like the idea of the game, and I admit that it's fun and challenging, but there's something about it that really sits wrong with me about it. Maybe it's because playing as part of an obstructive bureaucracy ruining people's lives over technicalities is a lot less fun when you actually are a part of an obstructive bureaucracy ruining people's lives over technicalities, but...damn, I just felt like shit after playing for only a couple in-game days.

It's obviously a great game and well-designed. I just wish I hadn't spent ten bucks on something that edges too close to reality for me these days.

Papers, Please isn't really meant to be fun, it's meant to make you feel like shit. It's basically entirely about the crushing despair of being a cog in a nightmarish beauracratic machine; it's designed to build empathy for a situation that's outside the relative comfort of most people's lives. When that's already your life, though... Yeah it probably would hit a little too close to home.
Weird Autumn
That's a funny trick to play on God.
Faithful Students
  • Website
  • Website
Post by Jill (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:37 am

DADDY NO :cry:

Click for Fullsize

"Pretty much the worst ring possible." :v:

Opposing Farce wrote:Papers, Please isn't really meant to be fun
Sure it is! :party: Strip away the depressing aspects and you still have a game about processing the important details as fast as you possibly can; both as simple and complex as games ever really needed to be.

a discord for close-knit game streamers, developers, and friends: https://discord.gg/EybpuPG
Jill
Special Flowers
  • Website
  • Website
  • Website

Post by Dragoness (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:48 am

Concerned Reader wrote:It is a minigun powered by a dog brain that barks and shoots .357 bullets. Also it whimpers when you swap weapons.

Bonus points - it can detect enemies usually long before you can see them. Wave it around, and if you hear a growl - enemy!

K9000 best gun.
Dragoness
Celestia's Champions
  • Website
Post by Gravenstein (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:08 am

The only way that it would be better is if it had bees in its mouth and when it barks it shoots bees :party:
Gravenstein
♫♪I've got the music in me!♫♪
Stare Masters

Post by Thaddeus (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:23 am

First location in that Video Game Locations video is Armadillo from Red Dead Redemption.

Since no one else seemed to say it. :grumpydash:
Image :excellent:
ImageImageImageImage
"I was awoken by the sound of mockery; where is it?" -Stan Pines
Thaddeus
My sun friend here finds your posting offensive. I, however, am loving this shit.
Agents of Chaos
  • Website
  • Website
  • Website
Post by tdkgunghoul (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:34 am

I found the whole list of technology quotes from Civilization 4 in one handy place:

http://www.squidoo.com/civ4quotes

For maximum fun, remember that Leonard Nimoy reads these completely seriously in-game.
( :yay: Beep. Beep. Beep.)
tdkgunghoul
What have I become
My sweetest friend

Post by Dragoness (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:49 am

Let me fix that for you.

Dragoness
Celestia's Champions
  • Website
Post by Kitsune (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:36 am

Perrydotto wrote:Started playing Skullgirls. Really fun, well-flowing game but as usual I have a hard time memorizing special moves. Eh, if I feel like practicing I'm hoping that improves.

I'm also sure this is by no means an unpopular opinion but Peacock is the best, no contest. Her design is just hella fun.

(I know this probably belongs in the Skullgirls thread but) Peacock has one of the best designs, it's just that if you fight a Peacock who even remotely knows what she's doing (i.e. not me), you will curse the world and everything in it.
Kitsune
8-bit 9-tails
Rainbow Racers
Pronoun: She
  • Website
  • Website
Post by Fontra (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:05 pm

EYE Divine Cybermancy is hella fun, but I really strongly recommend playing it with someone else who already knows the mechanics and can show you the ropes while playing the game. Like, thank god for Mystic Cave Zownd or I would have been still confused and frustrated as fuck with it. :v:

But otherwise, it's like Deus Ex mixed with WH40K only it is even more confusing than both of those combined and the story/universe of the game is nigh-impenetrable.
Fontra
The only thing I'm really good at is... That's it! SHITPOSTING! There really isn't much else in life!
Forums Shittiest Poster

Post by Concerned Reader (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:13 pm

So does anyone else have The Secret World, cause it's pretty darn fun and original for an MMO.
Concerned Reader
Agents of Chaos
  • Website
Post by Aramek (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:14 pm

I also picked up EYE because it was hella cheap even though I'm rubbish at fps games and I'll never play it. :v:

Is the single player campaign fun? That's all I'll ever do.
Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
  • Website
Post by fenster (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:11 pm

Perrydotto wrote:Started playing Skullgirls. Really fun, well-flowing game but as usual I have a hard time memorizing special moves. Eh, if I feel like practicing I'm hoping that improves.

I like Parasoul. :-I

Kitty Kate wrote:
it's just that if you fight a Peacock who even remotely knows what she's doing (i.e. not me), you will curse the world and everything in it.

I know; I play Parasoul. :fluttersmith:
ImageImageImage
ImageImage
fenster
♫~I want Fabulous! That is my simple request!~
~All things Fabulous! Bigger and Better and Best!~
~I need something inspiring to help me get along~
~I need a little Fabulous, is that so wrong?~♫
Diamond Dusters
  • Website

Post by milesluigi (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:34 pm

Davyinatoga wrote:Miles, do you only LP pc games, specifically online play?

Some of my better known LPs includes various Mario RPGs and Mario rom hacks. So, the answer to your question is a simple, no.

I'm currently working on a play through of Metroid Zero Mission where I sequence break it a bunch. People are angry at me for purposefully skipping power ups and expansions. I'm enjoying every last bit of anger, as I find it fascinating that it's irritating people.

Who needs the charge beam? :allears:
ImageImage
milesluigi
Blind Forest? Dealing with it.
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters
  • Website
Post by Venusy (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:11 pm

CEO Brendan Iribe would not be surprised to see Oculus games cost more than $60 - he also says "the age of 2D monitors has run its course". The Oculus Rift could open up new realms of immersion for gamers - but those experiences may come with a price.

Brendan Iribe, CEO of Oculus, notes that - as a hardware manufacturer - his business has no say in what software companies will charge for Oculus-enhanced games, but admits he would not be surprised to see them come at a premium price.

"It's going to be up to the developers," he says. "There will be some who make casual, simpler experiences - maybe bite sized. There are going to be Indie developers that make bigger experiences. And there are going to be bigger teams that make really big experiences. ... And some that we've seen early prototypes of... Well, we've seen some that, boy, would I pay a lot to get that experience in virtual reality."

Aaron Davies, director of developer relations at Oculus, agrees.

"In VR, suddenly objects have value - and scale and size and depth and I think there will be opportunities for developers to monetize them," he says.
Iribe noted that pricing in the game industry tends to swing. Prices spiked with the launch of the last generation consoles, then swung to the other end of the pendulum with the rise of mobile gaming. He sees the rise of virtual reality as not an extension of PC gaming, but something different - which opens the door for them to move back in the opposite direction.
Davies notes that the higher prices - if they come at all - may not be done in a clumsy fashion, such as hiking the initial retail price. Instead, he points to the free-to-play model, where microtransactions make it less painful to pay (and the customer may not realize they're paying more until much later).

"The whole concept of charging a premium is somewhat outdated," he says. "It's not to say it's going to be upfront. It could be this is going to be an experience you get dialed into. We'll see how it monetizes. ... If you create content or an experience that someone is passionate about, you're creating a lifestyle for them. And they'll pay for that."

"If people are willing to spend a lot of money on VR games, it obviously means we're doing something right," says Iribe.

This... really isn't how you sell a new hardware platform to people. People aren't going to pay for a $60 game, then buy depth DLC on top of that. :facehoof:
Venusy
feel boss
Stare Masters
Pronoun: They
  • Website
  • Website

Post by Pocket (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:35 pm

Gravenstein wrote:The only way that it would be better is if it had bees in its mouth and when it barks it shoots bees :party:

I'm sure there's a mod somewhere.
[)3≈
Pocket
Sweet summer child
Rainbow Racers

Post by nimrod (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:35 pm

Fontra wrote:Uh... Kansas from Call of Juarez?
Bullworth Academy
City 17
Dunwall
New York from Mafia maybe?
A level in Goldeneye
TF2 Level
Hyrule Field
Citadel from Mass Effect
Jerusalem from Assassin's Creed
One of the floating landmasses from 12000 BC in Chrono Trigger?
Swamp area from fuck if I know
Mushroom Kingdom
Mall from fuck if I know
Farm from fuck if I know
Gas stations from fuck if I know. Call of Duty or some shit.
Cyrodil
Rapture
Steelport
uuuuuh Skyrim?
Ishimura
San Andreas?
Pacific Islands from Battlefield 1942 I think?
Xen from Half Life
Something from Kingdom Hearts (forgot what it's called)
And uuuuuuuuh..... fuck if I know

"Kansas" was Armadillo from the best game Rockstar ever made.
That "swamp area" was the underground place with all the horrible children in Fallout 3.
The "gas stations from CoD or some shit" was a military installation on Panau from Just Cause 2.

Those I knew from recognition. I thought the last one might have been the Tree People place from GW2 but upon looking at the answers, it was from WoW so who cares.
Image Image
nimrod
woo?
  • Website
  • Website
  • Website

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:48 pm

And if you haven't faffed about in Just Cause 2, you really ought to.

SlateSlabrock
The information's unavailable to the mortal man.
Celestia's Champions

Post by Timber72 (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:51 pm

Venusy wrote:This... really isn't how you sell a new hardware platform to people. People aren't going to pay for a $60 game, then buy depth DLC on top of that. :facehoof:

They will if it's niche enough. You should see the iRacing pricing model. You have to pay a pretty expensive subscription fee per month, and besides a pretty small amount of starter tracks/cars they give you, you have to buy every single track and car at a standard if not inflated DLC price. For someone like me who like Gran Turismo enough to buy a mildly expensive wheel for it, that's absolutely ludicrous and I would never ever pay that, but people do.
Timber72

Post by Space Ghost (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:56 pm

he also says "the age of 2D monitors has run its course"

Can I just say how much I loathe this kind of attitude. What an egotistical statement.

No, 2D monitors have not "run their course" because of your little toy.
Space Ghost
G A Y S T H E T I C
Applejack Aces

Post by Jill (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:27 pm

Let's not forget
"If people are willing to spend a lot of money on VR games, it obviously means we're doing something right," says Iribe.
There you have it, folks. If a business can be successful then it must also be moral and ethical.

a discord for close-knit game streamers, developers, and friends: https://discord.gg/EybpuPG
Jill
Special Flowers
  • Website
  • Website
  • Website

Post by ScionVyse (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:33 pm

Grim wrote:There you have it, folks. If a business can be successful then it must also be moral and ethical.

Oh good. 2014 is the year slavery comes back into fashion.
Teru wrote:...Scion... holy crap, you are a freaking god...
ScionVyse
So zetta slow!

Post by Perpetual Lurker (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:44 pm

To be perfectly fair, it's not an egotistical assumption to say that the technology behind 2D displays has run its course. Barring some sort of materials revolution, TVs and Monitors aren't going to be getting any more sophisticated than they already are. Sure, we're going to keep using them for a long time, but stuff like Oculus is where advancement is going to be made in the future.
Perpetual Lurker
Just blending in.
Special Flowers

Post by Venusy (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:00 pm

Twilight wrote:
They will if it's niche enough. You should see the iRacing pricing model. You have to pay a pretty expensive subscription fee per month, and besides a pretty small amount of starter tracks/cars they give you, you have to buy every single track and car at a standard if not inflated DLC price. For someone like me who like Gran Turismo enough to buy a mildly expensive wheel for it, that's absolutely ludicrous and I would never ever pay that, but people do.

While iRacing is still a niche product, it is at least on a non-niche device. Anyone could potentially download it, even if they then see what they're charging and hopefully run away screaming. But the Oculus people are trying to launch a platform here. It's not going to be worth developers integrating it (even with an extra charge) if Oculus have already pushed the consumers away.

I want one, but I'm not suddenly going to go out and pay extra for software. Particularly when it's already working with some of the games I'd want to try it with. :v:

PREVIEW EDIT: Yeah, you can't really build a better 2D monitor than we have. They can keep increasing the resolution or the refresh rate, but it still won't be totally immersive. If you look to the sides, you will still see the edge of the screen. I look forward to seeing TV shows where you can actually look round the full scene just by turning your head... though as soon as head-mounted displays start getting popular for TV, someone will probably invent the holodeck. :v:
Venusy
feel boss
Stare Masters
  • Website
  • Website

Post by Space Ghost (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:07 pm

Yeah, but you're still gonna have 2D monitors. No one is going to type on OR. Declaring the end of the 2D monitor age because you made some VR goggles is egotistical.
Space Ghost
G A Y S T H E T I C
Applejack Aces

Post by Aramek (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:13 pm

Tailspin wrote:egotistical.
CEO's get paid more the more they say awesome and egotistical stuff about their company. Even if they don't believe it themselves.
Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
  • Website
Post by Timber72 (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:19 pm

One thing though Venusy is that while it's not required, generally if you're going to play iRacing it's recommended to have at least a G27 which is a $250 product.

Tailspin wrote:Yeah, but you're still gonna have 2D monitors. No one is going to type on OR. Declaring the end of the 2D monitor age because you made some VR goggles is egotistical.

I doubt he even believes what he said himself (because it is ridiculous). It's just mindless PR speak to drum up hype for the rift, like all the other ridiculous things said in this industry... "Dead Space 3 is AAAA!"
Timber72

Post by Space Ghost (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:36 pm

Aramek wrote:CEO's get paid more the more they say awesome and egotistical stuff about their company. Even if they don't believe it themselves.

Twilight wrote:I doubt he even believes what he said himself (because it is ridiculous). It's just mindless PR speak to drum up hype for the rift, like all the other ridiculous things said in this industry... "Dead Space 3 is AAAA!"

Yes, you have a point.
Space Ghost
G A Y S T H E T I C
Applejack Aces

Post by Fontra (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:37 pm

Every time a new technology comes out, the company that developed it invariably says "it is the end of the [insert thing everyone still uses] age."

This isn't anything new. Typical marketing bullshit.
Fontra
The only thing I'm really good at is... That's it! SHITPOSTING! There really isn't much else in life!
Forums Shittiest Poster

Post by Quanta (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:06 pm

Have they even announced a price point for the consumer version of the OR? The developer version costs $300USD, which is fucking ridiculous for a pair of goggles with a tiny monitor bolted onto them. I wouldn't even talk about OR-enhanced games being premium priced until you have an idea how much your platform is going to cost, because no one's going to pay the premium if the device itself is inaccessibly priced. :-/

My other concern is that, since this is a head-mounted display, will I even be able to use it since I wear glasses?
ImageImage
3DS Friend Code: 2852-6885-2752
Quanta
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by sleverich (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:17 pm

Grim wrote:Let's not forget
There you have it, folks. If a business can be successful then it must also be moral and ethical.

:psyduck:

How are you getting that interpretation out of that sentence? To me, this reads less like the moral and ethical "right", and more the "correct in context" right. If the business is receiving money, it is because they are running a successful business plan in the situation. That's all he's saying here.
sleverich
When nopony was looking, Dr. Adorable took four thousand two hundred cupcakes from Sugarcube Corner. She took 4,200 cupcakes. That's as many as 350 dozen. And that's ... adorable?
Stare Masters

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:26 pm

milesluigi wrote:Metroid Zero Mission where I sequence break it a bunch. People are angry at me

Who are these alien robots who don't know how Metroid works?
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Rarity's Roughnecks

Previous Next

Return to Funland Arcade