FiM #5: Nightmarity & Luna (1/4)

And trading card shop. (MLP: FiM Comic Books)

Moderator: Wayoshi

Re: IDW Issue #5 Discussion

Post by Heather Breckel (?) » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:41 pm

Went by Hot Topic today to see if they were breaking street date on #5. They fortunately were not! My local store is awesome and knows I go there so I doubt they would ever break the street date on the MLP comics :vogue:

I did discuss doing an MLP signing event there and bought some MLP comic themed shirts (they have shirts for all the HT covers except Cadence so I grabbed Vinyl and Lyra) so it was a good trip.
Heather Breckel
Cat Loaf Army General
Rainbow Racers
  • Website

Post by Atticon (?) » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:43 pm

Heather Breckel wrote:Went by Hot Topic today to see if they were breaking street date on #5. They fortunately were not! My local store is awesome and knows I go there so I doubt they would ever break the street date on the MLP comics :vogue:

I did discuss doing an MLP signing event there and bought some MLP comic themed shirts (they have shirts for all the HT covers except Cadence so I grabbed Vinyl and Lyra) so it was a good trip.

Must be nice, being able to wear your work :awesomedash:
Atticon

Post by Nissl (?) » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:51 pm

Wow, they made the the Lyra cover and an interior page from issue #1 into t-shirts as well. That's some impressive commitment from the store in such a short time. Sales of the comics must have been pretty good.

Can anyone confirm whether the Diamond Hot Topic numbers cover the entirety of the distribution to the chain? It seems a little odd to me that they'd do this much off of just 9k sales.
Nissl
Marching bravely into a bold new pony future
Semper Pie

Post by Heather Breckel (?) » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:59 pm

It is pretty neat! While I didn't work on the HT covers, it's still the cover to something I was involved in.

I'm waiting for this gloriousness to arrive in my mailbox now http://www.hottopic.com/hottopic/PopCul ... 304501.jsp :awesomedash:

The comic sells really well at my local HT, since I get a bunch of people asking for autographs when I'm working at my day job. (where I work is downstairs from HT) Since they're selling comic related merchandise, it's definitely safe to say it's doing well for them.
Heather Breckel
Cat Loaf Army General
Rainbow Racers
  • Website

Post by WandereringPony (?) » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:17 pm

#5's definitely been leaked, images are showing up in the Usual Places at this point.

*minor note politely sent to deletesville*

I'll note that it appears multiple Hot Topics have broken release date a week or so early. I may have a look around myself.
WandereringPony

Post by 441 (?) » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:38 am

Yep, Issue 5 WAS leaked.
I have, in fact, already read it.

Spoilers: It's damn good.
Solar Priest

Post by The Doctor (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:12 am

Just came up on itunes!
The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
  • Website

Post by The Doctor (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:28 am

I think Grilox is going to have a new avatar from the 2nd to last page. I'm calling it for him. :gotcha:

Interesting start to the new story. Volume went by way to quickly. Will write more after more people have read it.
The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
  • Website

Post by Wylie (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:30 am

Welp time to buy it for the first time this week.

Hey, Heather (or other show peoples): How does buying the comics digitally compare with buying them physically in an economic sense to you guys? In other words, how much does IDW eventually get per digital copy as opposed to per physical copy sold?

(I am fully aware that this is probably an unanswerable question, but it doesn't stop me from being curious.)
ImageImage :fancyhat:
Wylie
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by SoundMonkey44 (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:41 am

Wylie wrote:Welp time to buy it for the first time this week.

Hey, Heather (or other show peoples): How does buying the comics digitally compare with buying them physically in an economic sense to you guys? In other words, how much does IDW eventually get per digital copy as opposed to per physical copy sold?

(I am fully aware that this is probably an unanswerable question, but it doesn't stop me from being curious.)

I'm not Heather, but from what i've heard Digital comics are still just an after thought market wise, they don't make companies nearly as much money as the physical books, I guess the best way I could put it, the money they make off of physical comics is the cake & the digital is just the icing on top. Although Digital has become a bit more prominent in recent years, so it may matter a bit more these days then it did say 5 or so years ago.
^ seen above, the many reactions to forum posts.
SoundMonkey44
Reformed Demoness
  • Website

Post by Nissl (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:51 am

I'd guess digital comics are a much bigger than normal drop in the bucket for MLP given how well it performs on iTunes. And it seems to me that printers and digital publishers both take about the same cut. Still, Andy Price has urged people asking on Deviantart to buy the physical copies if possible because the digital copies don't go as directly towards making more issues. I'm not sure quite why, but perhaps he means that if the LCS system collapses there won't be any more comics regardless of digital sales.

Personally I went all digital a few months ago. I have multiple moves coming up and the thought of dragging an ever-growing pile of comic books around sounds awful. I'll pick up the trades when they come out because the physical copies really are a better experience.

Oh, and I really liked issue #5. Going to take some time and collect my thoughts before I write something out, though. There's a lot to say.
Nissl
Marching bravely into a bold new pony future
Semper Pie

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:01 am

I'm having that problem where I was thinking of a nice long post to write here tonight, and now I'm way too tired to go about doing it. :bluh:

Anyways, I'll boil it down to this: while I love Price's "edgy" nuances to his ponies, I liked the more straightforward approach here, either is pretty damn good (in particular, Fluts had some adorable faces around the pre-nightmare pages, and one thing "edgy" looks can't pull off too well is adorable)... except for S1 Luna. I have no idea why S1 Luna is here. It's been 18 months since Luna Eclipsed. It just doesn't make much sense. Continuity errors abound thanks to that, but I'll ignore them... and no, I don't think they're going to explain S1 Luna --> ethereal mane Luna in this arc or anything either, I think it's just a huge oversight. (I'm aware for some this is probably just a nitpick, but I'm still having trouble comprehending how this happened. You could also retroactively say S1 Luna is just a flexible look because cartoons and doesn't set this arc pre-Eclipsed, thus Luna is in fact socially adjusted and there is less continuity problems. But even then, Luna is a bit shy, needing Celestia to tell her it's OK to tell the EoH about stuff, which of course was a common characterization pre-LE. It just feels like Luna Eclipsed somehow was missed by Nufner and/or Mebberson.)

Anyways, ignoring that, we have the start of an arc here, so there isn't much to say on that front. Why Rarity is the only one dreaming about losing the Mane 6 (to Maybelle, who would imbalance the Element of Laughter, what a fail that would be... or would it? :gotcha: ) I'm not sure on. You can't correlate all the dreams to the opposite of their elements... I guess it's supposed to be worst fears, but I dunno, wouldn't producing crappy clothes be Rarity's worse nightmare? On the other hand, postulating losing her friends for whatever reason as her worst fear illustrates the Element of Generosity fairly well too. I guess for now I'll have to be happy with that, with more reasoning sure to come...

...Because we have some currently meh "forces" of Nightmare Dreamscape the moon actually made NMM! :-/ :unenthused: This is kinda a lazy rationalization for a return of NMM, with a meh Dreamscape pun to boot... I guess I'm on such a short leash on that since it's edging dangerously close to crappy G1 villains. But since Spike is so good this issue and apparently a big part of this arc somewhere, I'm sure it will be much better than anything G1, as expected... just, it definitely makes me a bit leary. Maybe this was the easiest way though...

Laundry list:

-"The baddest dreams ever!" :fluttersmith: :flutterunsmith:
-R.D. has settled down to handling hooficures now. (Or did before PC - understandable continuity error)
-Stop destroying the barn, AJ. :v:
-Insert obligatory MAYBELLE comment here with extra Twilite.
-Thanks to the best pegasi of the show, a generic "villain gets away" segment is enjoyable all the way through. That's everything working together, from the characters to correctly interpreting them.
-Look, R.D. Sonic Rainboomed trying to save Rarity with no side effects! That's 100% correct unlike Micro 2! :v:
-Cowhili - wonder if Mary Jo speaks this? :v:
-R.D. was a bit lolrandom like Pinkie this ep. I guess just really excited for a big mission, but felt a bit off.

Still a pretty good issue, and all my quibbles may be gone by the time this arc ends, we'll have to see. :party:
Image Image Image :milkshake:
Wayoshi
The REAL stare of a Stare Master.
Stare Masters
  • Website
Post by Lowlydog (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:08 am

I can't wait for the next issue, looks like this arc is gonna be a lot of fun. Mebberson's art is a nice contrast to Price's, a little bit more show accurate, but not to the point of being constricting. Also, really great work with the colors Heather, especially the blacks and light blues at the end of Rarity's nightmare.
Lowlydog

Post by Perpetual Lurker (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:14 am

Yeah, Luna's appearance being unexplained is the only real problem I have with it, but I don't think it's an oversight. Remember that Mebberson also drew the primary covers for this arc, and then look at her covers for #6 and #8. #6 has S1 Luna, same as this issue. #8 has S2 Luna, meaning that they are fully aware of her change and that it will likely occur sometime between those issues. It's obvious that Luna's appearance is scripted, and will likely be explained somewhere down the line. That doesn't make it not a mistake here, but unless it's just never explained later, it's not that big a deal.
Last edited by Perpetual Lurker on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Perpetual Lurker
:spike101: What did you learn about friendship today?
Special Flowers

Post by The Doctor (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:14 am

Wayoshi wrote:"forces" of Nightmare Dreamscape the moon

I think I know where this arc is going, and I like it :awesomedash:

:moonie: AH!, After 10 inconvenient months I'm free!. It's time to conqueror earth!

:pcstare: Luna, Nightmare Moon has escaped, recruit a team of ponies with attitudes.

:speakest: What about those 6 you use for, like, everything?

:pcstare: They'll do.
The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
  • Website

Post by Heather Breckel (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:18 am

Thank you very much!

On the topic of old style Luna, I had that concern too. I'm not going to spoil anything (as I don't actually know the answer since I don't have #8's script anyway) but direct your attention to #8's cover, which was also drawn by Amy.

And just think about that. And speculate. :excite:

I got some ideas myself, so we'll see how things go!
Heather Breckel
Cat Loaf Army General
Rainbow Racers
  • Website

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:24 am

So it IS going to be addressed, or just randomly change out of nowhere?

Waiting 3 months to find out is going to bug me... :flail:

EDIT: Trying to explain the change between S1 and S2+ Luna is still a continuity error, as Luna is socially maladjusted in LE, and she's shy but interacts candidly and decently here. There's no way around that. :squintyjack:
Wayoshi
Stare Masters
  • Website
Post by Perpetual Lurker (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:25 am

I see no reason to think that they'd just have it change out of nowhere for no reason. That's a lot of cynicism you've got, there. :squintyjack:

EDIT: And no, it doesn't have to be a continuity error at all. What if she's temporarily like this, and this is after LE? What if the events of the comic bridge her original timid personality to her current boisterous one through character development? Those are two extremely plausible scenarios, really. :pinkieshrug:
Last edited by Perpetual Lurker on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Perpetual Lurker
:spike101: What did you learn about friendship today?
Special Flowers

Post by kefkafloyd (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:26 am

Wayoshi wrote:Anyways, I'll boil it down to this: while I love Price's "edgy" nuances to his ponies, I liked the more straightforward approach here, either is pretty damn good (in particular, Fluts had some adorable faces around the pre-nightmare pages, and one thing "edgy" looks can't pull off too well is adorable)... except for S1 Luna. I have no idea why S1 Luna is here. It's been 18 months since Luna Eclipsed. It just doesn't make much sense. Continuity errors abound thanks to that, but I'll ignore them... and no, I don't think they're going to explain S1 Luna --> ethereal mane Luna in this arc or anything either, I think it's just a huge oversight. (I'm aware for some this is probably just a nitpick, but I'm still having trouble comprehending how this happened. You could also retroactively say S1 Luna is just a flexible look because cartoons and doesn't set this arc pre-Eclipsed, thus Luna is in fact socially adjusted and there is less continuity problems. But even then, Luna is a bit shy, needing Celestia to tell her it's OK to tell the EoH about stuff, which of course was a common characterization pre-LE. It just feels like Luna Eclipsed somehow was missed by Nufner and/or Mebberson.)

S1 Luna seems like a deliberate choice, especially given cover #8. I wouldn't get bent out of shape about it yet.

Anyways, ignoring that, we have the start of an arc here, so there isn't much to say on that front. Why Rarity is the only one dreaming about losing the Mane 6 (to Maybelle, who would imbalance the Element of Laughter, what a fail that would be... or would it? :gotcha: ) I'm not sure on. You can't correlate all the dreams to the opposite of their elements... I guess it's supposed to be worst fears, but I dunno, wouldn't producing crappy clothes be Rarity's worse nightmare? On the other hand, postulating losing her friends for whatever reason as her worst fear illustrates the Element of Generosity fairly well too. I guess for now I'll have to be happy with that, with more reasoning sure to come...

...Because we have some currently meh "forces" of Nightmare Dreamscape the moon actually made NMM! :-/ :unenthused: This is kinda a lazy rationalization for a return of NMM, with a meh Dreamscape pun to boot... I guess I'm on such a short leash on that since it's edging dangerously close to crappy G1 villains. But since Spike is so good this issue and apparently a big part of this arc somewhere, I'm sure it will be much better than anything G1, as expected... just, it definitely makes me a bit leary. Maybe this was the easiest way though...

Lauren had mentioned in the past that she imagined that Luna's fall was helped along by a magic force. Obviously this isn't in the show, but Luna's fall was most likely enhanced and facilitated, but she doesn't blame it on the nightmare force; she accepts her personal responsibility for what happened. Likely she chose to align with the Nightmare force. Or otherwise.

Once again, the Final Fantasy vibes... think Golbez. :allears:

Especially considering the Sailor Moon homages, where this sort of schtick was used.
kefkafloyd
Welcome to the forums, posters! What can I get you? Avatars? Signatures? Rare gangtags of American Presidents?
Rarity's Roughnecks
  • Website
Post by Wayoshi (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:27 am

Perpetual Lurker wrote:I see no reason to think that they'd just have it change out of nowhere for no reason. That's a lot of cynicism you've got, there. :squintyjack:

:v: I guess because it's going to contradict LE no matter what, I'm a bit annoyed. I don't see the point of it, although maybe it will heavily tie into the arc as it is NMM, not just Rarity.

Also re: magic force: meh, Lauren. Meh. :v: :ponder:
Wayoshi
Stare Masters
  • Website
Post by Heather Breckel (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:28 am

Perpetual Lurker wrote:I see no reason to think that they'd just have it change out of nowhere for no reason. That's a lot of cynicism you've got, there. :squintyjack:

I've got faith in the other half of Team Heather! :vogue:
Heather Breckel
Cat Loaf Army General
Rainbow Racers
  • Website

Post by Wylie (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:31 am

OK, free-form thoughts on the episode

(first free-form thought: I just typed "episode" instead of "issue". Something has gone horribly wrongright here)

The very last panel of #4 showed us midnight-blue, star-maned Luna. (They're tiny little stars, but they're there.) This episode had purple, light-blue maned (season 1) Luna throughout. There's no explanation, but I know I read somewhere else that it's due to Luna's power waning during the new moon (which always seemed oddly-named to me, because it denotes the time when there is -no- moon visible).

Sailor Moon pony on Page 2, and the next panel- two ponies writing away- the artists OC's?

Amy Mebberson has a much more show-accurate take on pegasus wings than Andy did. I liked Andy's wings, they were very majestic- even on Fluttershy, who has a hard time looking majestic at all. But these are good, too. I have no complaints.

Rarity giving Dash a makeover and then getting steamed at Pinkie Pie for distracting Dash in the middle of it is just great. It's a background detail shown over two pages, but it's just simply believable and in-character and real. It's a comic version of everything that's right about this show.

It looks like Twilight turned her terrible Gala dress into a sleeping bag. Good choice, there.

We've seen that particular Twilight nightmare before, haven't we? It seems that's her go-to worst fear.

Even Winona is mad at AJ in her nightmare. And look at poor hungry Applebloom! I'm mad at AJ now, too. :gah:

All the woodland creatures run from Fluttershy, but the funniest by a wide margin is the look of fear on that bear.

Dash- can't fly. Yep, that's a nightmare, all right.

Pinkie apparently is tonight's special guest on the Muppet Show (I swear that's what the stage looks like to me, please tell me I'm not the only one), and everyone hates her, not just Statler and Waldorf- but wait, is that Ms. Hooves breaking the fourth wall in the corner there? Why, yes it is.

Rarity's nightmare tops them all, though- that gratuitous Gravity Falls reference is just so perfectly placed!

And it moves directly into Rarity's real greatest fear: "Please, let me help... don't forget about me." Wait- that's two greatest fears. First, that she can't help her friends, and second, that nobody will remember her. That's Rarity in a nutshell, isn't it? She wants to help her friends be as fabulous as she is, and she wants to be remembered. When you take everything else away from her, that's who she is.

It is amazing to me how well this team understands these characters.

Dash pulls off a Sonic Rainboom (as if that's even a thing anymore), but to no avail- and Dash's reaction is entirely predictable: "No fair!" After all, the Sonic Rainboom has been her "I Win" button all her life.

Annnnd the princesses show up. I'll say it, since nobody else will: That first panel of Celestia makes me think she might want to lay off the cake for a while.

That entire page done in "Storybook from Episode 1 Style" is just simply perfect. There are no other words that do it justice. The borders, and the style, and then how the style changes to show the Nightmare forces as we see them in the book now- just bloody perfect. Wow.

Rainbow Dash's reaction to adversity: 1. Become Batman. 2. Hit things. Stay you, Rainbow Dash. :awesomedash:

Did Dash just volunteer to become Trojan Dash? Because that's hilarious.

Last page: Could have come directly from @StTabitha's twitter account. And I can think of no higher praise for it. "Good show, whooshie things." sounds in my head exactly like Tabitha said it herself.

Conclusions: This was, in fact, an episode of the show, done in print form. Amy Mebberson's art was spot-on, Heather Nuhfer's been channeling the show's writers to an eerie degree, and our good friend Heather Beckel's colors are as good as ever (which is to say, I've run out of superlatives and hopefully she knows already how much I love her work).

All in all, this was really great, and it's only getting better the closer I look at it, which is a really good sign for the rest of this arc.
Last edited by Wylie on Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wylie
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Marimo (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:36 am

Wylie wrote:Dash- can't fly. Yep, that's a nightmare, all right.

From the looks of it, it seems like her feathers were all falling out.

Also, Twilight's horn looked floppy in her nightmare.
Marimo
Ultimate Poster
Faithful Students

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:41 am

Wylie wrote:It looks like Twilight turned her terrible Gala dress into a sleeping bag. Good choice, there.

If this was intentional and not a coincidence of "dark purple constellation sleeping bag fits Twi", I'm going to be really impressed.
Wayoshi
Stare Masters
  • Website
Post by Lowlydog (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:51 am

I really like how the writers keep making jabs at Fluttershy.

:allears:: "We're both useful?" and the door doesn't open.

And now
:-/: Uh, you too Fluttershy
Lowlydog

Post by SoundMonkey44 (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:04 am

I'm guessing the Nightmare force has something to do with Luna's apperance, since she's part of the Dreamscape herself, all the nightmares the ponies have been having may be effecting her somehow as well, just a though.

But yeah I couldn't wait downloaded the itunes version, my overall thoughts...

Pros
- Overall solid set-up
- Spike's Facial expressions are priceless
-Sailor Moon & Maybelle ponies are BEST ponies
- The nightmares were fairly interesting, Dashie's nightmare of not being able to fly made me choke up *and also made my inner jerk say, welp now you know how Scootaloo feels everyday*
- I actually like the way they are using the Nightmare force, this big creepy dark fog controlled by a group of nightmare creatures that want to take over Equestria, sure its cliche, but its fun!

Cons
- Luna, why u in woona mode? Again i'm sure its explained later on, but yeah
- "Baby Dragon" OK I know thats what Spike technically is, but personally I hate it when people call him that, I mean he was a baby when he was a hatchling in Twy's flashback in Cutie Mark Chronicles, and I thought the whole point of the S2 spike eps were basically to kind of retcon that abit and basically say like he's in comparison to a human closer to a young teen or at least a tween, since Twilight admitted Ponies don't know much about dragons, and Spike overall has proven to be just as competent & reliable as the rest of the group. I mean yeah I know thats just a personal pet peeve, but i'm sorry Baby is an insult, can't they just say Dragon...or Spike, again thats just something thats bothered me since Ep 1, I mean heck even G3 gave slightly more respect to the lil guy... But again its a moot point overall, I just cringe ever time they call him that personally...Poor Spike.

But overall I enjoyed it, I can't wait to read issue six, wonder what Nightmarity is gonna look like!?

And now I must be off to bed.
^ seen above, the many reactions to forum posts.
SoundMonkey44
Reformed Demoness
  • Website

Post by Dexanth (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:36 am

iTunes STOP RELEASING EARLY.

This is getting tiresome because Comixology always waits until the proper time :(
:milkshake: Image Image
Dexanth
:areyousure: Adorably tragic loss of body temperature
Celestia's Champions

Post by Atticon (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:37 am

So, if page 2 was a Sailor Moon reference, does that mean that last page was a Tsukihime reference?
http://i27.tinypic.com/2whh1t1.jpg
Atticon

Post by Dedalus (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:39 am

Well I love it. As every comic in the series so far. This arc even more than the last one, even though Chrysalis was a show stealer. This one seems a lot darker and I have a thing for ponies in more serious scenario. It doesn't seem out of place for them. They're so good as characters that they're perfect for comedy, drama, action and casual scenes when they're just friends.

I knew the plan was that NMM and Discord's revival were somehow triggered by this dark force. It's surprisig it's present in the comic. Does that mean it's the official explenation for the show, too?

Rarity gets to say few good lines but she's always fun. Modern version of damsel in distress, that is also badass. Or maybe she wishes she was a damsel but is just a badass :rariwhat:
What I really can't wait to see is all the nightmare scenes :excellent: Sure we got them here but how else would the dark forces try to break them after they capture the ponies. And perhaps we can count of them having more than jsut one nightmare (well Twilight and Rarity had like two different ones). The scene when the villains escape with Rarity (I love the shot with extended hooves) is maybe one of Rainbow's nightmares too. Failing to save her friend. The first frame afterwards is very telling.

Where is Rarity now? On the moon? If it can be habitated they should get rid of the evil there and start a colony. Well Rarity can wait till they find Applejack's hat.

And I take that the mane 6, through all the issues, is going to fight while being a bit weaker than usual. It's like in Die Hard 3 only with less hangover and more sleep deprivation. I'm afraid that, Adrenalin or not, it's going to catch up with them.
Dedalus
You're the best, Mr. Falcon!

Post by kefkafloyd (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:42 pm

Wayoshi wrote:If this was intentional and not a coincidence of "dark purple constellation sleeping bag fits Twi", I'm going to be really impressed.

It's the same pattern, so I would say it's intentional.
kefkafloyd
Welcome to the forums, posters! What can I get you? Avatars? Signatures? Rare gangtags of American Presidents?
Rarity's Roughnecks
  • Website
Post by Wylie (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:43 pm

I was conflicted- I thought the whole "We're not normal ponies, we're the Elements of Harmony!" speech they gave the princesses was great, but my mind was screaming "You're missing one! It doesn't work when you're missing one!" :gonkity:
Wylie
Rarity's Roughnecks

kefkafloyd
Rarity's Roughnecks
  • Website
Post by Venusy (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:22 pm

Wylie wrote:I was conflicted- I thought the whole "We're not normal ponies, we're the Elements of Harmony!" speech they gave the princesses was great, but my mind was screaming "You're missing one! It doesn't work when you're missing one!" :gonkity:

Along with S1 Luna, this honestly makes me think that this is set before ROH.

This is an interesting one, though it is clearly setup. :allears: The storybook style page is really good, and does contain some long requested backstory. The panel with Luna in the "Pinkie post-Evil Enchantress" pose is interesting as well, since the princesses don't normally show that kind of motion.
ImageImage
XBL: Venusy - NNID: Venusy - 3DS FC: 0275-7494-8165 - iOS: VenusyPrime
Venusy
REPAIRS IN PROGRESS

(EVERY DAY IS WALK LIKE A PIRATE DAY)
Stare Masters
  • Website
  • Website

Post by Ransom (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:32 pm

Wylie wrote:I was conflicted- I thought the whole "We're not normal ponies, we're the Elements of Harmony!" speech they gave the princesses was great, but my mind was screaming "You're missing one! It doesn't work when you're missing one!" :gonkity:

They are individually unique though. Dash does Rainbooms no one else has done, Fluttershy can stare down a cockatrice, a dragon, and reformed Discord. Twilight, well we know she's on another level. They can't activate the elements magic beam, but that doesn't mean they stop be the spirit of the elements.
Ransom
Remember Me?

Post by AppleCobbler44 (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:32 pm

Just got it on Comixology and...

+Well written. Most of the dialogue is good and faithful to the show.
+Art (I think I like this one slight more than the previous four)
+A couple jokes were good
+++ Freakin' A do I love how 'epic' this is. I mean, holy shit! Rarity was TRANSPORTED TO THE MOON! Luna actually had a throneroom on the moon!?!? And we have to now face this army of shadows?
:awesomedash:

- Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash's antics were a bit much here.

= So... again, another great issue. Seriously, i've never read a comic series so consistently really great :crack: Man... Season 4 better raise the adventure episodes to the standard the comics have already raised (tension, scale, use of the universe, etc.).
AppleCobbler44
From a lovely artist :3:

Click Here for the entire image
Applejack Aces

Post by Luneshot (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:47 pm

I'm sad that Luna's mane is drawn in the S1 style instead of the S2+ style. Probably because it's easier to draw, but still- it looks so much cooler when it's full of stars and stuff! :unenthused:

Also, I think the art is really well done- I still prefer Andy/Katie's style because it feels like it has more "depth", but this is very similar and if I didn't know better I probably wouldn't have noticed the difference.

Celestia's "I know a way :gotcha: " combined with the cover for the next issue brings up the hilarious notion that Celestia made Luna walk the entire way to the moon on a tightrope.
:pcstare:: Keep walking.
:moonie:: I've already walked a thousand miles and I've got 253,000 to go. Can't I just fly instead?
:pcstare:: No.
every morning I stare at myself in the mirror and repeat the phrases “you are hardcore” and “you are radical” to myself about ten times to get myself ready for the day
ImageImage
Luneshot
star horse
Night Mares
  • Website
  • Website
Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:51 pm

Was anyone else bothered by the "You can ask her in pony" line at the end of page 14? That just felt really awkward when I read it. As I see it, the use of "person" is still cromulent as long as it's referring to any sapient being; i.e., it's not for humans only. I don't even think the show has ever done that particular substitution.

Wylie wrote:The very last panel of #4 showed us midnight-blue, star-maned Luna. (They're tiny little stars, but they're there.) This episode had purple, light-blue maned (season 1) Luna throughout. There's no explanation, but I know I read somewhere else that it's due to Luna's power waning during the new moon (which always seemed oddly-named to me, because it denotes the time when there is -no- moon visible).

But the moon was completely full through this whole issue. :rariwhat: Surely Luna's appearance must be tied to the return of the nightmare forces, since I can't imagine that both Heather Nuhfer and Amy Mebberson haven't watched any episodes past S1. (In fact, they must have at least watched Sleepless in Ponyville, considering that Twilight explicitly calls Luna out on being the protector of dreams.)
Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by twilightcadence (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:58 pm

AppleCobbler44 wrote:- Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash's antics were a bit much here.

I have to agree, they were borderline Season 1-level annoying at a couple of points, but it didn't detract from the main action too badly.

AppleCobbler44 wrote:So... again, another great issue. Seriously, i've never read a comic series so consistently really great :crack: Man... Season 4 better raise the adventure episodes to the standard the comics have already raised (tension, scale, use of the universe, etc.).

Well the show will probably never be as dark as the comics tend to go (I believe that was a big reason the comics were conceived in the first place, so they could go to darker places the show cannot)--but as far as world building, yes, I want to see more of this in the show :vogue:

What a fantastic issue for a new arc that's already shaping up to be better than the last. The last page with Rarity was seriously chilling, even--dare I say--more chilling than Chrysalis devouring the cat creature? :flutterdear:

Well done Heather and everyone else involved! :party:
Last edited by twilightcadence on Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guys, it's just humanized ponies. It's not like Twilight sprouted wings or anything.

http://www.fimfiction.net/user/applecinnamonspice

twilightcadence
Really?...Are you really gonna post that?

Post by Flutterbrave (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:06 pm

A short list of what I love about this comic:

-Everything

:-D from start to finish
Flutterbrave
Professional Procrastinator

Post by Dexanth (?) » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:12 pm

Okay! Now caught up!

Fun, definitely liked it, it's silly and cute and fun!

There are some great mini-gags like Sailor Moonpony and Mabelle Pony, and some amusing stuff like Cucumber-Face Dash and Pinkie's questioning of Luna/Cheerleader Pinkie. It's well done and of course it has decent best pony presence!

But I don't think it's better than Cook/Price. There's nothing comparable to Chrysalis-CMC interaction, and no standout panels like the one that gave us :notthisshitagain:

Basically, it's solid, I liked it, and I'm absolutely going to buy the next one, but it has yet to hit the level of 'Ohmigosh this is totally AMAZING :awesomedash: ' that I got with Issue #1
:milkshake: Image Image
Dexanth
:areyousure: Adorably tragic loss of body temperature
Celestia's Champions

Previous Next

Return to The Changeling's Dungeon