Hasbro trying to buy Mattel

Good posts, good friends. (General Offtopic)
SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Hasbro trying to buy Mattel

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:16 pm

Hasbro makes buyout offer for toy rival Mattel: WSJ
The Wall Street Journal reports that Hasbro Inc. (HAS), seller of Mr. Potato Head and Nerf footballs, recently made a takeover offer for Mattel Inc. (MAT), the company behind Barbie dolls and Hot Wheels toy cars. The newspaper, citing unnamed sources, said terms of the potential deal could not be learned.

Shares of Mattel soared nearly 25 percent in after-hours trading on news of Hasbro's reported offer.

Mattel is the smaller player in the U.S. toy business, with a market cap of $5 billion as of Friday's market close, compared with an $11 billion stock market valuation for Hasbro. El Segundo, California-based Mattel, whose world-famous products also include American Girl dolls and Fisher-Price, has suffered from weak sales in recent years, growing losses and a range of cost cuts, including a suspension of its dividend. Shares -- down nearly 50 percent so far this year -- ended Friday's trading session at $14.62, up 5 percent for the day.
Time for a new edition of Monopoly! :v:

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Re: Hasbro trying to buy Mattel

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:36 am

So how long until there's a Barbie/G.I. Joe crossover movie?

PonyHag714
Here comes the helmet!

Post by PonyHag714 (?) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:05 am

I want to see a Pony themed line of Hot Wheels cars. :brash:
Image ("Don't try to reform me, Hag, because I'm made of cold stone.")

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:50 am

Finally I'll get my Monster High/Ever After High/Equestria Girls cinematic universe

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:37 am

You know, I'd forgotten how EqG came about because Hasbro wanted to get in on the Monster High tween market. I doubt Hasbro will kill EqG if this deal goes through, but I guess that depends on how much of the market EqG has captured and would thus now be cannibalizing from its competitor brands.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:40 am

๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฅœ๐Ÿ 

Soft Snow

Post by Soft Snow (?) » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:12 am

Did Hasbro grow larger yet? I mean their old business model was to buy out smaller or failing toy companies. So this move makes sense. But would this be considered a monopoly? This move might also give Hasbro more power over Disney seeing how Disney will have less options to manufacture their toys.
:fluttershrug:
If I had a bit for every time you made me feel worthless I'd be worth something by now.

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:58 am

Mattel said no so this thread is now obsolete... for now

Soft Snow

Post by Soft Snow (?) » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:11 am

I hear that Mattel is holding out for a better deal. With Toy R' Us going under it might to much for their business to recover from. If they did merge they might have to sell off some brands to prevent a monopoly. I wonder which ones they would get rid of?

Interestingly enough tho, in '96 Mattel offered to buy out Hasbro. Good thing that didn't happen. Imagine what ponies would be like today if they did?
:flutterunsmith:
If I had a bit for every time you made me feel worthless I'd be worth something by now.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:14 am

Lauren Faust would still exist around so it's possible that the show would have been the same, but instead of GAKGAKGAK it'd be bug racer ads
๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿฅœ๐Ÿ