The Gender and Sexual Minorities Thread II: So Many Wonders

Where only the shiniest threads are preserved for all to see.
Tears

Re: The Gender and Sexual Minorities Thread II: So Many Wond

Post by Tears » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:30 am

Corpy wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:04 am
Just seems like Uganda gets a disproportionate amount of attention compared to other places where the laws are harsher or just as harsh. :pinkieshrug:

As for the IOC, it's a spineless organization so they're not surprising me at all.
Like people said, a lot of that's down to the fact that Uganda's becoming more and more extreme in its homophobia. Ditto Russia. Saudi Arabia's never going to win any prizes for its record on pretty much anything, but it's pretty stable and consistent in its dehumanising attitudes to women and gay people.

Whereas Uganda is running newspaper front pages likes this (honestly not photoshopped):
Weird fact: Iran carries out more sex change operations than nearly anywhere in the world, way more than the US or UK, with the government providing half the funding, and the new gender appearing on the birth certificate. I think it's because being gay is seen as a perversion, but being born the wrong gender is a correctable mistake. Ayatollah Khomeini was publicly in favour of it as early as the sixties.

It's one of those instances where repressive attitudes push far enough in one direction that they end up being pretty liberal in some respects, I guess. Some gay people with no gender identity issues are reported to have gone through with the operation because that's easier than trying to be gay in Iran.

The Fonz

Post by The Fonz » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:26 pm

Momar wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:10 am
Federal judges aren't elected there, maybe? :pinkieshrug:
...Good point. :v:

I sure as hell ain't complaining.

CorvusCaw
Maud Squad

Post by CorvusCaw (?) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:38 pm

On the other hand, both of Utah's senators backed this judge's nomination. Guess they didn't get what they were expecting.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Cthulhu Inc
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Cthulhu Inc (?) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:10 pm

Federal judges can be treacherous! :ohboy:
A spectre is haunting Europe — the spectre of communism.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar (?) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:08 pm

The Duck Dynasty guy got his indefinite suspension revoked when the rest of the cast members said they wouldn't do the show anymore if he wouldn't be on it. Maybe A&E realized the people most offended by Phil's comment weren't watching the show anyway, or that they've sunken too much money into this franchise to let it end now.
Gloriosa Did Nothing Wrong

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:11 pm

I know I certainly don't watch Duck Dynasty, but it's no surprise at all that A&E caved when they threatened to cut off a large source of money for them. :pinkieshrug:

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:27 pm

I never watched "Duck Dynasty", but it's apparently HUGE here. Several stores here have merchandise for the show, including the sports apparel store. Really, it's unavoidable here.

Yesterday I visited the local shoe store, visiting the manager (she lives across the street from me), hoping to see if there are any positions available. While waiting, I overheard some staff talking about the box of "Duck Dynasty" baby shoes they just got. One guy was worried that the controversy would hurt the sales but the woman said no. In fact, she suggested that they can cash in on the controversy and use it to sell the goods.

I didn't think much of it. This is Tennessee, after all :pinkieshrug:

Anyway, let's be frank: most of the people who watch this show aren't gonna complain about what Phil Robertson said.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar (?) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:28 pm

I'm not surprised either, but I'm still annoyed. I can be annoyed if I like. It's allowed. :maddash:

I watched several episodes that show in a hotel room a while back when there was nothing else to do. I saw this same guy point to his wife and granddaughters cooking and said, "Ain't that a fine site?" And then something about passing on tradition and cooking skills to little girls. Not exactly evil, but it bothered me. The show had a fair number of moments like that, little appeals to gender norms for men and women both. Individually those moments weren't horrible, but it was constant and something about it bothered me. I tried to ignore it on the grounds that I was being oversensitive and unfair to a show I already didn't like, but their attitude toward race and sexuality didn't surprise me too much.

Meanwhile, I'm still going to see Duck Dynasty t-shirts and books all over the place. How is this show even popular?! It's clearly scripted and the jokes are all based on stereotypes. Why won't it die :applejargh:

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:32 pm

Ragnar wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:28 pm
Meanwhile, I'm still going to see Duck Dynasty t-shirts and books all over the place. How is this show even popular?! It's clearly scripted and the jokes are all based on stereotypes. Why won't it die :applejargh:
I think by now, most people know reality shows are scripted. They just don't care.

Cthulhu Inc
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Cthulhu Inc (?) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:32 pm

So, uh, I don't know if I should trust what my counselor said, that the college admissions people are just folks looking for a job and don't necessarily agree with the college at large's opinions (she cited an admissions person who worked for three different schools in the same year). The people at the LGBTQ support group at my school said she's bad at her job, so it's just a matter of who to believe... :pinkieshrug:

"Reality" TV is stupid. :gotcha:
A spectre is haunting Europe — the spectre of communism.

CorvusCaw
Maud Squad

Post by CorvusCaw (?) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:34 pm

It appeals to the intelligence level of the average American

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:38 pm

Corpy wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:34 pm
It appeals to the intelligence level of the average American
It gives the average American someone to look down on. Just like Honey Boo-Boo.

CorvusCaw
Maud Squad

Post by CorvusCaw (?) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:41 pm

Octavia wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:38 pm
Hard to look down on Phil Robertson with his $15 million net worth.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar (?) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:54 pm

[quote="Mr. post_id=53067 time=1387679536 user_id=63]
I think by now, most people know reality shows are scripted. They just don't care.[/quote]
I mentioned that to my mom a year ago and she got all bummed.

I literally just realized that pro wrestling may well be the first "reality" TV show, and is probably the best one. I should start watching that to annoy my mom. Then when she asks me why I watch such a stupid show I can say "Yeah it's stupid, but it's not as stupid as Survivor. :smug: "

At least the Wheel of Fortune/Jeopardy Power Hour that plays several times a day is mildly interesting. You can play along and then feel smart when you know something the contestants don't :allears:

This post is on topic because it mentions pro wrestling, which is about naked men rubbing and slapping each other. It's the sort of TV where you can have a beer and sometimes shout JUST MAKE OUT ALREADY :twonk: every once in a while.

BeautifulShy
Your perfect is your perfect. You don't have to look like anybody else to be beautiful. You can just look like yourself
Stare Masters

Post by BeautifulShy (?) » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:46 pm

Ah yes the "Duck Dynasty" situation going on the past few days. I am staying out of it because I usually don't like getting into these large embroiled discussions that are happening elsewhere on the net.

In other news I met Corpy tonight at my Center for its 1 year anniversary Christmas party. I could already tell that they were smart and nice on here but seeing it in person is another thing. Corpy is smart, nice, and humorous at times.

Name- Alexis

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:56 am

Knuckleshy wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:46 pm
In other news I met Corpy tonight at my Center for its 1 year anniversary Christmas party. I could already tell that they were smart and nice on here but seeing it in person is another thing. Corpy is smart, nice, and humorous at times.
I'm totally jealous of both of you. :allears:

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:45 am

Corpy wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:41 pm
Hard to look down on Phil Robertson with his $15 million net worth.
Money Shmoney. People look down on Paris Hilton, Charlie Sheen, and the Kardashians too.

Frosthawk
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Frosthawk (?) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:57 am

Octavia wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:38 pm
When you work in oil rigs, you work with a ton of Duck Dynasty fans and sadly, no, none of them are looking down on the Robertson family. Aspiring to them, maybe. :bluh:

M14Brony

Post by M14Brony » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:58 am

Ragnar wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:28 pm
I'm not surprised either, but I'm still annoyed. I can be annoyed if I like. It's allowed. :maddash:

I watched several episodes that show in a hotel room a while back when there was nothing else to do. I saw this same guy point to his wife and granddaughters cooking and said, "Ain't that a fine site?" And then something about passing on tradition and cooking skills to little girls. Not exactly evil, but it bothered me. The show had a fair number of moments like that, little appeals to gender norms for men and women both. Individually those moments weren't horrible, but it was constant and something about it bothered me. I tried to ignore it on the grounds that I was being oversensitive and unfair to a show I already didn't like, but their attitude toward race and sexuality didn't surprise me too much.

I found this video to be interesting:

CorvusCaw
Maud Squad

Post by CorvusCaw (?) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:09 pm

Octavia wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:45 am
Money Shmoney. People look down on Paris Hilton, Charlie Sheen, and the Kardashians too.
Those are all people who come from already famous families. Robertson came from literally nothing to get his fortune. Huge difference. Also what frosty said :v:

The Fonz

Post by The Fonz » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:20 pm

Octavia wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:45 am
People may hate them, but in the end they still have more money. I sure would rather be rich and hated then poor and liked.

Thankfully, I am poor and hated so I don't have this dilemma. :-I

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:37 pm

Happiness > Money

I wasted 2 years of my life in engineering school and a third year of my life putting the pieces together until I figured that out. Even if I'd be making much more money as an engineer now, I'm way happier making my living in music. I just wish I'd figured that out in high school when I was forced to make a decision on what I wanted to do for the rest of my life.

CorvusCaw
Maud Squad

Post by CorvusCaw (?) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:40 pm

The only people who say happiness > money is people who have both.

Timber72

Re:

Post by Timber72 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:41 pm

That phrase isn't so cut and dry though since, while it may be true that the difference in happiness from $200k to $2million isn't much, there is an overwhelming difference from $25k to $65k (arbitrary example).

In modern culture, money is pretty much absolutely required for happiness unless you have serious niche tastes and needs. It's not fun having a constant struggle of being able to afford food either tomorrow, or a year down the line.

milesluigi

Post by milesluigi (?) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:45 pm

:rariwhat: I think Octavia's point was he could make more money as an engineer, but he wouldn't be as happy as he is today as a composer. Granted, that does come with the assumption that one has a steady income of some kind, yes, but the lesson here is to focus on what you are good at as a person, and don't pursue a career in something you know you hate just for the money.

CorvusCaw
Maud Squad

Post by CorvusCaw (?) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:48 pm

Not everybody's talents are as lucrative as his, and I resent being talked down to over it.

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:52 pm

Music of any kind is a notoriously low-paying occupation for 99% of the people involved with it.

See also: every other creative industry.
Last edited by Weird Autumn on Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:53 pm

Yeah, I'd think I'd take more money anyday.

Of course, if I made a livable amount of money doing things I love, that'd be good enough.
Last edited by Mr. Big on Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Fonz

Post by The Fonz » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:54 pm

See, I'm in engineering and I'm still poor right now. :-I

ROBOT B9

Post by ROBOT B9 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:59 pm

I believe that happiness is more important then money in the long run. One can create friendships and long lasting positive memories in even the most dire of situations. Even a penniless man can find solace and comfort in his fellow man. :flutterunsmith:

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:04 pm

Corpy wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:48 pm
Not everybody's talents are as lucrative as his, and I resent being talked down to over it.
I wasn't talking down to anyone over it. Just because I disagree with you about money vs. happiness and that engineering isn't for me personally doesn't mean I'm talking down to you. Unless you were referring to milesluigi's comments, but I don't think he was talking down to you either.

Also, my first year in Los Angeles, I made $8,000. My first royalties check was for $12.63. I had to live in a 1000-square-foot apartment with four roommates and thousands of roaches in order to squeak by in that first year. That's hardly lucrative.

Most people work 8+ hours a day. If you're spending 1/3 of your life doing something you hate, the money just isn't worth it. Maybe it is for some people, but not for me. :pinkieshrug:

The Fonz

Post by The Fonz » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:07 pm

See, I think the penniless man would really like some money so he can avoid starving or dying from cold or basic lack of health provisions.. So the penniless man then finds out there is a black market for tourist kidneys. So then the penniless man decides to take up organ harvesting and- goddamn I really need to stop reading Cormac McCarthy books.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:14 pm

The best version I've heard of that old saying: Money can't buy happiness, but it can alleviate stress. Even if you live a life free of stress and filled with luxury, it doesn't necessarily mean you're going to be happy. However, if you're starving and/or homeless, such factors generally cause a lot of unhappiness.

CorvusCaw
Maud Squad

Post by CorvusCaw (?) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:22 pm

Octavia wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:04 pm
Most people work 8+ hours a day. If you're spending 1/3 of your life doing something you hate, the money just isn't worth it. Maybe it is for some people, but not for me. :pinkieshrug:
What you're not getting at all is that most people don't have the luxury of doing what they want to do for a living, because they have to try to earn enough money to manage the bare necessities of life like food, shelter, etc., and not having spare funds for airfare, sporting events, etc. Spending 1/3rd of your life doing a job you hate is better than spending 3/3rds of your life living in an alleyway.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:25 pm

milesluigi wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:45 pm
don't pursue a career in something you know you hate just for the money.
This is the biggest point I'm trying to make. I enjoyed and was really good at math and science in high school, but that didn't translate to enjoying engineering courses in college. I made jack shit in my first year in the music business, but things picked up and now I'm making enough to at least live comfortably. I'd have a hell of a lot more money at this point in my life had I stuck with engineering and gotten an engineering job right out of college, but I wouldn't be as happy as I am now.
Corpy wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:22 pm
What you're not getting at all is that most people don't have the luxury of doing what they want to do for a living, because they have to try to earn enough money to manage the bare necessities of life like food, shelter, etc., and not having spare funds for airfare, sporting events, etc. Spending 1/3rd of your life doing a job you hate is better than spending 3/3rds of your life living in an alleyway.
I'm not talking about the difference between making no money vs. any money. I'm talking about the difference between living relatively comfortably vs. living luxuriously.

CorvusCaw
Maud Squad

Post by CorvusCaw (?) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:28 pm

Octavia wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:25 pm
I'm not talking about the difference between making no money vs. any money. I'm talking about the difference between living relatively comfortably vs. living luxuriously.
Oh, gee, what a tough decision. If only most of us could be so cursed.

Scuderia
Tired,
but
Strong
Fashion Queens

Post by Scuderia (?) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:34 pm

Spending 1/3rd of your life doing a job you hate is better than spending 3/3rds of your life living in an alleyway.
Besides if you don't like it, you have another 1/3rd (or so) and weekends to figure something else out.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:40 pm

I'm not happy with the way this discussion is going. Please acknowledge each other's life situation differences, especially in terms of money, and move on. We all come from different backgrounds and so different outlooks on wealth and jobs happen. Don't be a dick about it.
Image /// Image /// Image

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:51 pm

I'm looking at all these people who flitted between various degree subjects, and I'm thinking that the vast majority of the workforce is not so well educated. What do you say to someone like me, who completely bummed my A levels? I would have to get a loan just to get A levels, let alone go to university, and it sounds like a lot of money that I don't have for something that I could later decide to drop for something else. Also, if there's one thing the stats are showing me right now, it's that going to university doesn't exactly line up with getting paid work in your desired field of expertise at all. It significantly increases your chances, but the chances are still that you're going to be working elsewhere.

Unless I happen to find a passion for entry level customer service jobs, or something in manual labour... this idea of following my heart and then somehow distinguishing myself from the rest of the people with my interests, to the point where I'd be the one to pay for the job, seems quite out of my reach. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to be where society finds a place for me, not where I'd like to be, and that's okay.

Also, wait, is this the GSM thread? How did we get here :v:
👉👉🥜🏠

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:00 pm

Some people are - for whatever reason - lucky. I had a shot at an apprenticeship under someone who's code of ethics I find absolutely abhorrent. I turned that down, because I am not working for someone that was discriminating against various groups and likely trying to convert me to Mormonism. I then spent over a year searching for a job. With a lot of the interviews I found for non-IT positions... I think they could tell that business administration just wasn't my passion.

I could only spend that year looking because of all the support I received from family and the government. As frustrated as I got with the JobCentre at times, I am very, very lucky to have had that support. I would have rather been working 40 hours for purely the state-given benefit (£50pw) in retail rather than any amount of time for that first guy - but again, I had the luck to make that choice.

EDIT: Yeah, this discussion might need moving.

EDIT 2: In terms of A-Levels... well, I'm now working in an IT career, and....
My IT results were pathetic. I knew the material, I got decent grades on all the practice tests, but my exam results were shit. (To be fair to myself, I was going through some shit in 2009 and early 2010, and chose to focus on the other subjects because "I know IT". :nnngh: Pretty sure I wasn't entered for that second ICT4 resit though. Also to be fair, the ICT A-Level is near completely worthless in terms of actually knowing anything more than MS Office).
Last edited by Venusy on Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.