The Gender and Sexual Minorities Thread II: So Many Wonders

Where only the shiniest threads are preserved for all to see.
ShieldedDiamond

Re: The Gender and Sexual Minorities Thread II: So Many Wonders

Post by ShieldedDiamond » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:56 pm

londonarbuckle wrote:
Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:29 pm
I did the one time I actually tried to and I haven't gotten myself to try again since. :fluttersmith:
Awww, I'm sorry that happened. :fluttersmith: But don't let that one experience take you over, have you considered trying to do it again, at a different store?

Logicgate

Post by Logicgate (?) » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:13 pm

[quote="In post_id=54578 time=1395541440 user_id=130]When I realised how huge the trans community is in my city, I stopped worrying about it. The only thing I get when I come out of the changing room is the assistant saying "any luck?". Also, I think the look on one guy's face when I was presenting as male, strutting up to the counter with a rather delicate piece of underwear, was precious. I just had to wink at him and smile, I couldn't help but make this more awkward for him.[/quote]
Haha, it makes it a more instructive learning experience :-I

Momo
THIS IS FINE.
Applejack's Aces

Post by Momo (?) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:23 am

londonarbuckle wrote:
Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:29 pm
I did the one time I actually tried to and I haven't gotten myself to try again since. :fluttersmith:
You must have won the shithead lottery. What happened?

londonarbuckle

Post by londonarbuckle (?) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:21 am

An somewhat older woman working there who I had to ask for a dressing room pass from said "Are you actually to try THOSE on????" and made a goofy face at me when I said yes. It's not the biggest deal I guess but it still took the wind out of my sails. I was actually feeling un-self-concsious for once that day too. :fluttersmith:
Last edited by londonarbuckle on Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Momo
THIS IS FINE.
Applejack's Aces

Post by Momo (?) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:28 am

Was it an exclusively women's clothing store, or a department store?

londonarbuckle

Post by londonarbuckle (?) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:51 am

It was a Target.

CorvusCaw
Maud Squad

Post by CorvusCaw (?) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:14 am

Just one shitty person, but I can see how discouraging it could be. I bet that if you try again, things will go fine. I didn't get any comments at Target today, going in and out of the changing room twice.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Momo
THIS IS FINE.
Applejack's Aces

Post by Momo (?) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:54 am

Women's only stores tend to be a lot cooler with it. Target is pretty hit or miss, in my experience. I think you should maybe take another shot at it, maybe accompanied by a friend.

Chaos Sonic
Faithful Students

Post by Chaos Sonic (?) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:31 am

Trip Report!

So last night at work, I went on Facebook ~1am to share a video of some guy doing magic tricks for dogs, and when I scrolled down, I saw the news that our county's clerk office would be open Saturday 9am-1pm to issue marriage licenses, and that my friend Ted would be going to officiate marriages. He wanted a couple people along to take pictures, grab comestibles, and act as witnesses in case there wasn't a big crowd. I immediately decided that I should go. I always talk about how I support all this stuff, but I never actually seem to do anything, and now I had a chance to actually be there for people. I called up my boss to tell him I wouldn't be able to work Saturday night. He was a bit angry, but he'll get over it. :v: When I got off work at 7am, I swung by the bakery for some pretzels, and headed home. I wasted no time eating, then took a shower, dressed in a nice sweater I borrowed from my dad, borrowed my mom's camera, and got on my way. I got into the city around 8:45, and in my haste to get to the clerk's office, I parked in a time-restricted zone. :v: I headed quickly out of the parking garage and down to Main Street, and found my way over to the clerk's office, where a couple people were handing out "Love Wins in Michigan" buttons.

When I stepped into the building, I was immediately hit by a wall of noise. There was so much confusion and milling around of people. It was amazing. :awesomedash: A clerk announced that anyone who didn't already have their number needed to head downstairs to get one, and all the officiants were going to another side of the building. I went over there to meet with Ted, and there were three other officiants already there. Ted introduced me to his friend Annette, who would also be taking pictures there. After a couple of minutes, the first license was issued, and I forgot to take off the lens cap of my camera and missed my chance at a picture. :v: They told the officiants to head down to the basement where all the marriages would be taking place. With only four officiants in the group, Ted expected he'd be having a busy day. When we got downstairs, however, we found there were a ton of officiants there already, a total of 22 priests, priestesses, ministers, reverends, and rabbis. 22 people that volunteered their time with less than 12 hours notice. :awesomedash: The room was even more packed than the area upstairs, and Ted and I barely managed to squeeze our way inside, where the first couple was having their marriage officiated by a brand new judge, performing her very first act as judge. As they were pronounced married, there was a huge cheer. :-D

As they made their way outside, the room began to settle down some, and the officiants were told to find spots at the tables around the edges of the room. Ted found a spot in a corner at a table with ministers from the Universal Unitarian church. One of the ministers, a woman named Gail, was like a force of nature. She performed so many marriages. Even people that didn't know her wanted her to do their marriages, as they saw her do marriages for people before them. Ted got to do two marriages over the hours we were there, both near the end of the day. Annette and I wandered around taking pictures of the ceremonies and getting email addresses of the couples so that Annette could send them the finished, touched up pictures later. I wasn't very good at the picture taking at first, but after a while I found a setting that worked for me and got a couple good ones at least.

The room got very hot with all the people in there. About an hour in, Annette called a friend to bring a couple cases of water, and when he arrived, we found he had brought some cakes too, so the couples could celebrate with a little wedding cake. Flowers were also donated by someone, so that any couple that wanted them would have something to hold. There was much laughter, much cheering, and many happy tears shed during the day. It was incredibly emotional just being there with so many happy people, so many people that had waited for so long for this to happen. At 1pm, the clerks stopped issuing licenses, but the kept the building open so that people with their licenses could keep getting married. It was about this time that the first couple approached Ted to have them marry him. They were an older couple, who had been together 17 years already. I was honored to be able to sign their form as a witness. My camera was nearly dead at this point, but I still got some good pictures of them throughout their ceremony, and one last one of them holding each other, smiling right at the camera and shedding happy tears. :flutterunsmith:

Shortly after their marriage was done, the room was shushed to silence, as the judge from earlier married two of the officiants. Another couple, younger than the first, but still having been together for seven years, approached Ted to be married. They were the couple with the very last marriage license of the day. They had a larger group with them, so Ted went over to the other side of the room to marry them in a more open space. They had two beautiful children with them, one 15 months old, the other just 5 weeks. While their paperwork was being completed after the ceremony, I chatted for a while with one of their mothers, talking about just how happy the day had been.

On our way out, Ted and I thanked the two police deputies who were there for the occasion, as well as a violin player who had shown up to play music for the weddings in the last hour or so. We said goodbyes to a couple other officiants, Ted did a short interview for a reporter, and we went on our way back to our cars. Turns out I got a parking ticket. Oh well, even that couldn't wipe the smile from my face.
Last edited by Chaos Sonic on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:38 am

Simply marvelous. I'm so :allears: right now. Thanks for sharing this, Chaos Sonic, that's just fantastic.
Image /// Image /// Image

Mir
Apple Artisans

Post by Mir (?) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:14 am

Seconding Perry on the :allears:

There are just no words.

ShieldedDiamond

Post by ShieldedDiamond » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:53 am

That's really wonderful. :)

Mad Surge
Who put sparkles all around me?
Semper Pie

Post by Mad Surge (?) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:15 pm

:flutterunsmith: Can we set posts into stone? We need to preserve it and show it to our descendants :allears:
Image Image Image

ROBOT B9

Post by ROBOT B9 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:24 pm

Damn...that truly is an amazing story. I'm so happy for that pair and that they had such a wonderful time. :allears:

Perpetual Motion
Enthusiasm makes everything an adventure.

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:34 pm

I'm glad that it was an amazing experience, Chaos. :flutterunsmith:

In other news, I tried to go shopping for a bra today. I went to Goodwill, since their fitting rooms are unattended, but I couldn't find any right away, and I couldn't bring myself to thoroughly search the women's section with so many other women there. :fluttersmith:

Mir
Apple Artisans

Post by Mir (?) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:24 pm

When I went bra shopping I just looked up my size online with a few calculators first so I wouldn't have to try them on in the store.
Don't know how advisable that is, but it worked for me. :pinkieshrug:

:allears: Shaved my legs for the first time today so I could wear a new dress. They're nice and smooth and soft, and like so many things, I'm wishing I'd done it sooner.

Perpetual Motion
Enthusiasm makes everything an adventure.

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:35 pm

I measured myself too, but I wanted to make sure. Regardless, I wasn't able to find any right away, and thus chickened out, so it's all moot anyway.

I wish I could shave my legs. I did do it twice, and it felt really nice, but my body hair grows back so fast that within hours my legs were a horrible, itching, burning mess. :fluttersmith:

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:38 pm

[quote="Perpetual post_id=54596 time=1395617700 user_id=77]I wish I could shave my legs. I did do it twice, and it felt really nice, but my body hair grows back so fast that within hours my legs were a horrible, itching, burning mess. :fluttersmith:[/quote]
The more often you shave, the less horrible and itchy it becomes. The first few times are terrible, though. :nngh:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Mir
Apple Artisans

Post by Mir (?) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:44 pm

Octavia wrote:
Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:38 pm
The more often you shave, the less horrible and itchy it becomes. The first few times are terrible, though. :nngh:
:-I This does not bode well for me...

ShieldedDiamond

Post by ShieldedDiamond » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:46 pm

Yeah, that's why I haven't shaved yet. My concern is that it'll grow back worse, so I'd rather leave it as it is, cover it up, wait for either waxing or laser hair removal.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:50 pm

Seconding what Octavia said. I personally found it worth it to go through the first few annoying times, but it's entirely up to you.

Ninetails

Post by Ninetails (?) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:51 pm

By the way, you do have to shave for laser hair removal (when they zap the hairs, you want your hair as tiny as possible to maximize zapping efficiency, or so I've been told). Also it works better if you have lighter skin and darker hair, and it might not be possible for some people.

And, at least in my opinion, it's much more uncomfortable than shaving :-I

It's still better in the long term, though; it's just, you gotta deal with a bunch of other stuff before it's over.

ShieldedDiamond

Post by ShieldedDiamond » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:59 pm

I'd personally rather go for the uncomfortability of zapping if it meant better in the long run. I despise my body hair, to the point where if anyone points it out, I feel terrible. I feel like I could risk making this worse by shaving, so I'd rather wax or zap.

And how do you determine if it'll be possible or not to zap, by the way?

Ninetails

Post by Ninetails (?) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:07 pm

Ask.

Really, it's up to the professionals, they know best :pinkieshrug: My mom and I got consultations with an electrolysis guy and a laser hair removal lady (these are totally technical terms shut up) and it was free to just discuss it with both of them and even have a little demo session. Also I think it might be bad if you burn easily. I suppose I'm a bit lucky, because the lady said one of her clients is a Chinese woman with my skin tone, so it was a really quick judgment on whether or not it'd work.

However, if you have white hair you need to get rid of or you've got really dark skin, you might want to look into electrolysis too. Electrolysis is much slower and a bit more painful, but it's a bit more certain to actually get the hair.

Mir
Apple Artisans

Post by Mir (?) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:17 pm

What do you mean by "make it worse?"

ShieldedDiamond

Post by ShieldedDiamond » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:27 pm

Mir wrote:
Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:17 pm
What do you mean by "make it worse?"
If you were talking to me, making it worse by shaving, and as a result it'll grow back thicker. From what I've learned, by shaving, since you're cutting off the top part that's thinner, you're left with the thick part at the bottom. And then that will end up growing up to the top, resulting in it coming back thicker.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:28 pm

ShieldedDiamond wrote:
Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:27 pm
If you were talking to me, making it worse by shaving, and as a result it'll grow back thicker. From what I've learned, by shaving, since you're cutting off the top part that's thinner, you're left with the thick part at the bottom. And then that will end up growing up to the top, resulting in it coming back thicker.
This is a myth, FYI :)

ShieldedDiamond

Post by ShieldedDiamond » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:39 pm

I've been taught that my entire life... Good to know my family keeps lying to me. :ohrarity:

Snowfire
Night Mares

Post by Snowfire (?) » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:43 pm

ShieldedDiamond wrote:
Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:39 pm
I've been taught that my entire life... Good to know my family keeps lying to me. :ohrarity:
Join the club. My mom always told me that using an electric razor made the hair grow back thicker, but it was just so that she didn't have to buy me an electric one.

Name: Tammy

ShieldedDiamond

Post by ShieldedDiamond » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:53 pm

Snowfire wrote:
Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:43 pm
Join the club. My mom always told me that using an electric razor made the hair grow back thicker, but it was just so that she didn't have to buy me an electric one.
My mom always hated the idea of me shaving. And literally, it drives me nuts how she wouldn't let me control my body. How I had to get stuck with the atrocious one simply because "Oh you're a man." It literally would drive me nuts to hear that. And chances are, I'm going to have to deal with it again. I can't stand this. :angry: