[Cheese]Bronies Love Cheese

Where only the shiniest threads are preserved for all to see.
KillerJunglist

Re: [Cheese]Bronies Love Cheese

Post by KillerJunglist » Sat May 14, 2011 6:27 pm

brightman wrote:I'm out of colors...so I think I'm done...although I guess I could also make apple bloom...

[snip]

Also the colors of the wax work much less for Fluttershy.
Goddammit you are awesome. You made Big Mac and Fluttershy, so I am all in favor of this project.

brightman

Post by brightman » Sat May 14, 2011 7:20 pm

Okay, fine. From here on out I'm just going to act like there aren't any more yellow/red ponies if there are any more.

Also some more info: These are made from wax rinds from mini babybels. The yellow ones are bonbels, the red for Big Macintosh is from cheddar, and the other red is from original babybels. The original's wax is sorta bad, it's like white wax with red wax on top or something, it doesn't mix well at any rate and is kind of crumby while you're working with it.

Big Mac is composed of wax from 12 mini cheeses, his hair is probably like 1 of the bonbels. Fluttershy is made of 8~9 of the bonbels' wax (whatever was left over after Big Mac) and her hair is from one of the originals and is thus crappy wax, same for Apple Bloom's hair and bow. Apple Bloom is from 3 bonbels's wax, 1 for her head, 1 for her body, and 1 for the legs. She was the only one I made in parts, Big Mac and Fluttershy I made by starting with a big glob of wax and basically "pulling" out appendages. All done while watching the marathon in synchtube...I tend to fidget anyway after sitting for a few hours.

Also I had more of the brie and it's growing on me...not literally though.

Edit: VV Actually...I can...I don't think it's the right shade, also it is very difficult to get it mixed. Thankfully I'm out of cheese and wax.
Last edited by brightman on Sat May 14, 2011 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Sat May 14, 2011 9:34 pm

It's a shame you can't mix the yellow and red wax together to get orange; otherwise, you'd be able to do Applejack.

Still, those are pretty neat.

30 Second Artbomb

Post by 30 Second Artbomb » Sun May 15, 2011 1:37 am

IRQ wrote:It's only been a week since a new ep and already we have cheese rind pony sculptures.

This place is going to be completely mad by next fall.
Technically, they're crude figurines made from recovered food-grade wax. :v:

KillerJunglist

Post by KillerJunglist » Sun May 15, 2011 2:52 am

How far off are we from this? Hopefully at least a couple of months, otherwise there are gonna be a lot of "Pony Wards" opening at psychiatric hospitals.

Edit: \/\/\/\/\/ Doesn't seem cheesable! :iamapony:

Topshot

Post by Topshot » Sun May 15, 2011 2:56 am

Just keep adding to that Big Mac one as you eat cheese, by season 2 he'll be life-sized (if this doesn't seem feasible, eat more cheese). :v:

Obligatory Toast

Post by Obligatory Toast » Sun May 15, 2011 4:27 pm

It's so goony, but my Wegman's sells a smoked gouda with bacon pieces in it. So.Good.

They also had this wonderful, creamy and salty comte that was great on a ham sandwich. Mmm.

blonk

Post by blonk » Sun May 15, 2011 7:38 pm

I can't read this thread anymore. Every time I do I get hungry for cheese, of which there is none in my household.

Someone send me cheese, for the love of god

IRQ

Post by IRQ » Sun May 15, 2011 7:55 pm

Obligatory Toast wrote:It's so goony, but my Wegman's sells a smoked gouda with bacon pieces in it. So.Good.

They also had this wonderful, creamy and salty comte that was great on a ham sandwich. Mmm.
I fucking hate that the closest Wegman's where I live now is over an hour away. :bluh:

Obligatory Toast

Post by Obligatory Toast » Sun May 15, 2011 8:13 pm

IRQ wrote:
I fucking hate that the closest Wegman's where I live now is over an hour away. :bluh:
I thought there was one near Baltimore now? Anyways, they built one 20 min from my house and every single grocery store in the tri-county area lost half their business.

My family does so much business there that they gave us a chocolate cake for Christmas and a bunch of other swag like quality pasta and a giftcard.

IRQ

Post by IRQ » Sun May 15, 2011 8:55 pm

Obligatory Toast wrote:I thought there was one near Baltimore now? Anyways, they built one 20 min from my house and every single grocery store in the tri-county area lost half their business.

My family does so much business there that they gave us a chocolate cake for Christmas and a bunch of other swag like quality pasta and a giftcard.
There is. I had to move to a sprawly hellscape north of DC last year unfortunately.

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Sun May 15, 2011 10:59 pm

As I live in ND, we don't have Wegmanses. :fluttersmith:

However, I have a buddy that lives about an hour outside of D.C. and he works at a Wegman's, in the cheese shop no less! As silly as it sounds, I love this thread, because, now I have two outlets to talk about cheese.
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Obligatory Toast

Post by Obligatory Toast » Sun May 15, 2011 11:34 pm

IRQ wrote:
There is. I had to move to a sprawly hellscape north of DC last year unfortunately.
I am so, so sorry for that.

Every town should have a Wegmans.

And a Wawa.

And a cheap, privately-owned liquor store that can stay open despite the blue laws.

IRQ

Post by IRQ » Mon May 16, 2011 1:47 am

Obligatory Toast wrote:I am so, so sorry for that.

Every town should have a Wegmans.

And a Wawa.

And a cheap, privately-owned liquor store that can stay open despite the blue laws.
They're building a Wegman's vaguely close, but for some reason it's going to take 3 years. I want to be the fuck away from here by then. But they did de-stupid some blue laws: the liquor stores (there are ONLY state-owned liquor stores in Montgomery county) can be open for like 4 hours on Sundays. They had previously cleverly thwarted my inability to plan ahead 24 hours by not selling alcohol on sundays! I guess?

More on topic though, it's as hard to get good cheese in a grocery store here as it is to get anything with alcohol in it. WHAT IS A GOAT? :fluttersmith:

e: I also can't find lamb for the life of me. I mean how the fuck?

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Mon May 16, 2011 10:36 am

Is there a purpose to Blue Laws other than to get me to hate Religious people more? :rariwhat:

Is there a purpose to terrible cheese other than to get me to crave the good stuff? :D

mochabean
Semper Pie

Post by mochabean (?) » Mon May 16, 2011 1:42 pm

Aramek wrote:Is there a purpose to Blue Laws other than to get me to hate Religious people more? :rariwhat:
At this point, I think blue laws have less to do with religious people and more to do with state governments enjoying the benefits of monopoly revenue. Hell, I live smack dab in the middle of the bible belt, and the harshest blue law that we have here is that you can't serve liquor on Sundays - the first time I went back east, I was surprised that liquor laws were actually stricter. :rariwhat:

Oh, and, um... yay for cheese? :cheese:

brakeless

Post by brakeless » Mon May 16, 2011 8:19 pm

I like cheese, but only ones with mild taste and I usually just slap it on sandwiches straight from the fridge. What I'm getting at is that I'm no good for hoity-toity cheese chattering.

However, I do have a tale of a bad cheese. My friend's folks had picked it up from some food fair, where it had been promoted as very healthy and nourishing by a cheerful young farmer. They tasted it, and thereafter used it to troll visitors by proffering it with much enthusiatism.

It was blocky, had a nasty looking sheen to it and was apparently physically incapable of melting properly. If you threw it into a microwave for long enough, it went from completely solid to a sad little puddle. Of course, it tasted horrible. Once again, a miserable failure in making enjoyable food "healthy", so it could be consumed in ridiculous amounts with no ill effects.

Shit had been synthesized from canola oil or something. :nnngh:

Artificer

Post by Artificer (?) » Mon May 16, 2011 9:03 pm

brakeless wrote:I like cheese, but only ones with mild taste and I usually just slap it on sandwiches straight from the fridge. What I'm getting at is that I'm no good for hoity-toity cheese chattering.
Speaking of hoity toity cheeses, would danish blue cheese quality? Because damn, that stuff is good, if a little hard to combine with other foods sometimes...

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Tue May 17, 2011 10:17 am

Yes, that counts as fancy cheese. And I agree, Bleu Cheese is kinda hard to mix with other stuff because it is so damned powerful. But, other than the classic uses, (crumble on a salad, pair with walnuts, dipping sauce for hot wings) you can make an amazing pasta sauce with it as well.

"Pasta fit for Princess Celestia, in only three ingredients."

(Granted, this recipe only works if you actually like the taste of Bleu Cheese.)

Just carefully, and slowly melt it in heavy cream, toss with cooked pasta, snip chives on the top. As you can imagine, with only 3 ingredients, if you use lousy cheese, you'll notice.

cuddleblossom

Post by cuddleblossom » Tue May 17, 2011 7:31 pm

Bleu Cheese is wonderful to mix and melt in with grits.
mmmm.....my mouth is watering.

Baked Bads

Post by Baked Bads (?) » Tue May 17, 2011 10:19 pm

Aramek wrote:The worst part? :ohrarity:

America is BY FAR the #1 in "tons of cheese made", but not even close to the top in cheese exported. :o

Nobody wants our cheese. :sadrarity:

And...if we're not eating that much, and we're making all of it...where does it all go? :rariwhat:

Giant cheese landfills?! :gonkity:

If so, maybe I can sneak into them...and steal this cheese! :wat:

Than I will have all the cheese! :iiaia:

(This has been a discussion of cheese madness, and Rarity faces.) :starity:
(Spoiler: We have a price floor for milk, leading to a surplus, which the government then buys and turns into low grade cheese that we don't really want but throw at school kids)

Also I just had a three cheese grilled cheese because of this thread :v:

Scuderia
Tired,
but
Strong
Fashion Queens

Post by Scuderia (?) » Wed May 18, 2011 2:57 am

Attn: Please take heed of the official overseer of the cheese thread:

[LINK REMOVED 10/25/2011]

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Wed May 18, 2011 8:40 am

The thing that bugged me the most about the original Fudd video is he did the butter backwards.

You need to butter the outside of the bread, not put butter in the pan, in order to have even browning! By just plopping a pat of butter down, you might end up with a splotchy mess of a sandwich! :rainbert:

Now, not a 100% cheese dish, but I've made this several times:

It is a Buckwheat noodle/butter/cabbage/garlic/sage dish that is loaded with delicious, melty Fontina cheese.

Obligatory Toast

Post by Obligatory Toast » Wed May 18, 2011 1:30 pm

IRQ wrote:
They're building a Wegman's vaguely close, but for some reason it's going to take 3 years. I want to be the fuck away from here by then. But they did de-stupid some blue laws: the liquor stores (there are ONLY state-owned liquor stores in Montgomery county) can be open for like 4 hours on Sundays. They had previously cleverly thwarted my inability to plan ahead 24 hours by not selling alcohol on sundays! I guess?

More on topic though, it's as hard to get good cheese in a grocery store here as it is to get anything with alcohol in it. WHAT IS A GOAT? :fluttersmith:

e: I also can't find lamb for the life of me. I mean how the fuck?
See, they have yet to de-fuck VA's blue laws. All of our liquor stores are state-owned as well.

This reminds me. I have yet to do a cheese and wine tasting. :9

30 Second Artbomb

Post by 30 Second Artbomb » Wed May 18, 2011 11:18 pm

Aramek wrote:The thing that bugged me the most about the original Fudd video is he did the butter backwards.

You need to butter the outside of the bread, not put butter in the pan, in order to have even browning! By just plopping a pat of butter down, you might end up with a splotchy mess of a sandwich! :rainbert:
Hey now. I do it that way and I don't wind up with splotchy browning. Granted, I do grilled cheese all fancy-like on a cast-iron griddle, using the bottom of a small cast-iron pan as additional weight.
Here's how! :spike101:

1) Melt butter on griddle, using EXTRA LOW HEAT. Like, as low as your stovetop can go. Plop a slice of bread in the butter pool once it's all liquid, then wriggle it around a bit. Put an empty cast-iron pan on another burner and apply heat to it.
2) Add cheese(s) and other ingredients, wait for cheese(s) to melt. Feel free to cover with a lid or the heated cast-iron pan for quicker melting.
3) When cheese(s) are melted, apply the second slice of bread and press down lightly - you're basically using the filling as glue here - then flip the sandwich. You should still have a butter residue, since you've barely had the heat on. If you don't, move the sandwich to a cooler part of the griddle and melt more butter before moving it back.
4) Turn heat up. Apply the bottom of the heated cast-iron pan to the sandwich. Check occasionally until you reach your desired level of browned/scorched/burned, plate and allow to cool slightly, and enjoy.

Dimestore Merlin

Post by Dimestore Merlin » Wed May 18, 2011 11:51 pm

My preferred grilled cheese method: Butter both sides of the bread. On the side that you're throwing the cheese on, sprinkle some garlic powder on there before applying cheese. Grill up and enjoy.

IRQ

Post by IRQ » Thu May 19, 2011 12:11 am

Dimestore Merlin wrote:My preferred grilled cheese method: Butter both sides of the bread. On the side that you're throwing the cheese on, sprinkle some garlic powder on there before applying cheese. Grill up and enjoy.
This is going to sound gross, and objectively (and health-wise) it is, but put mayo on the inside instead.

Just trust me.

Ponder

Post by Ponder » Thu May 19, 2011 12:14 am

IRQ wrote:This is going to sound gross, and objectively (and health-wise) it is, but put mayo on the inside instead.

Just trust me.
This got the same reaction out of me that a friend telling me about mayonnaise and fried egg sandwiches did: "EEEEYURGH"
That being said, he got me to try one, and it was actually kind of tasty. So, maybe I'll give this a try. Maybe.

Dong Strongly
What I am now
Patreon supporter

Post by Dong Strongly (?) » Thu May 19, 2011 12:18 am

:bluh: Pfft, grilled cheese. The only proper heated cheese concoction is a slice of american and swiss placed between 2 Pillsbury crescent triangles, then deep fried and dusted with grated Parmesan. It's like eating a fluffy slice of heaven stuffed with cheese.

arisu

Post by arisu » Thu May 19, 2011 12:21 am

I have a panini press. It kicks ass at grilled cheese. :crack:

IRQ

Post by IRQ » Thu May 19, 2011 12:25 am

PonderSketch wrote: This got the same reaction out of me that a friend telling me about mayonnaise and fried egg sandwiches did: "EEEEYURGH"
That being said, he got me to try one, and it was actually kind of tasty. So, maybe I'll give this a try. Maybe.
Dude I know it sounds fucking disgusting but really, really trust me on this one.

Not globs of mayo mind you, a thin layer like you would with butter.

LemonAIDS

Post by LemonAIDS » Thu May 19, 2011 12:35 am

PonderSketch wrote:This got the same reaction out of me that a friend telling me about mayonnaise and fried egg sandwiches did: "EEEEYURGH"
Things along those lines that sound gross are, more often than not, quite tastey. Like I only every eat my french fries with pickles and mayo(dip a fry in mayonnaise and wrap it in a pickle slice) and it's very good!(or as poutine which, as I'm sure you all know, is the best thing ever invented)

brightman

Post by brightman » Thu May 19, 2011 12:52 am

I put two slices of bread in the toaster oven, I put a slice of cheese on each slice of bread, I then crank the dial 90 degrees and wait. When the bell rings I pull them out and put them together, I then eat the sandwich. It's not grilled, but it's quick and easy. Other wise I make a cheese sandwich, butter one side, put on skillet/griddle, press down on top with a spatula for a bit, then butter the top, then flip it, press down for a bit, take off griddle/skillet, and eat it. I usually only do this if I'm making more than one and that only usually happens if I have company. Also I often make some tomato soup and dip the sandwich in it as I eat it.

Also I realized today that I had brie before, but it was wrapped in pastry stuff and baked, so it didn't register as the same thing to me until I melted some of it onto some bread. I also don't like the taste of the rind, but love the cheese.

Next up: muenster. And then...goat?

30 Second Artbomb

Post by 30 Second Artbomb » Thu May 19, 2011 1:00 am

arisu wrote:I have a panini press. It kicks ass at grilled cheese. :crack:
Cast iron cookware can be used for more than just paninis, thus my method is superior. :glare:

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Thu May 19, 2011 10:28 am

Yeah, you can't really brain anyone with a toaster oven. :smirk:

I made an amazing Ragu last night stirred into the penne, and a loooot of grated parmesan.

(Not the dish I made last night, but here's some pictures that I took myself of me cooking with cheese!)

Colby Jack being melted into a Chicken Tortilla Soup.

Here, I made Gougères. (Baked Gruyère cheesepuffs.)

W.T. Fits
Storm, ride the storm
Never-ending
Skies darkened, torn
Heaven-rending
Ire, fury borne
Never-ending
Roar, hear my roar!
Faithful Students

Post by W.T. Fits (?) » Thu May 19, 2011 12:44 pm

:dearcelestia: Dear Princess Celestia,

Today, I learned two very important lessons about cheese. The first thing I learned is that my family's grilled cheese sandwich maker* can't handle six slices of cheese at once, especially if four of them are larger than the size of a slice of Kraft Singles American cheese. The other thing I learned today is that grilled cheese sandwiches on potato bread made with Swiss, American, and Provolone cheese are awesome. :awesomedash:

Your faithful student
W.T. Fits

* - yes, I know, I'm a heathen, but I suck at flipping sandwiches the traditional way

mochabean
Semper Pie

Post by mochabean (?) » Thu May 19, 2011 1:13 pm

Aramek wrote:Here, I made Gougères. (Baked Gruyère cheesepuffs.)

I know they're not even remotely the same thing, but that picture is making me crave Red Lobster's cheddar biscuits.
I have the recipe, but not the ingredients. Cruel fate! :gonkity:

IRQ

Post by IRQ » Thu May 19, 2011 1:43 pm

MochaBean wrote:
I know they're not even remotely the same thing, but that picture is making me crave Red Lobster's cheddar biscuits.
I have the recipe, but not the ingredients. Cruel fate! :gonkity:

Post it, hurry, before I go to the store!

mochabean
Semper Pie

Post by mochabean (?) » Thu May 19, 2011 1:57 pm

In the interests of all things cheesy:

Red Lobster's Cheese Biscuits

2 cups Bisquick
1/2 cup cold water
3/4 cup grated cheddar

2 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt or powder
1/2 teaspoon parsley flakes
1/4 teaspoon italian seasonings

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mix bisquick, water and cheese. Drop by large spoonfuls onto greased baking sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes. After baking, (while hot) brush on melted butter or margarine mixed with garlic powder, parsley flakes, and Italian seasoning. (Amounts will vary by the size batch you make, but a little goes a long way.) Serve hot.

The Bisquick may throw people off, but I've tried this recipe before and its pretty much an exact match tastewise for what you get at the restaurant.

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Thu May 19, 2011 2:31 pm

You may not realize it yet, but you have killed us all, MochaBean, you have killed us all.

:nngh: