[Cheese]Bronies Love Cheese

Where only the shiniest threads are preserved for all to see.
Momo
THIS IS FINE.
Applejack's Aces

Re: [Cheese]Bronies Love Cheese

Post by Momo (?) » Mon May 23, 2011 1:36 am

All I can think of when I look at this thread is "Eat more Cheese".

I miss that show.

KillerJunglist

Post by KillerJunglist » Mon May 23, 2011 1:47 am

Momar_Khadufus wrote:All I can think of when I look at this thread is "Eat more Cheese".

I miss that show.
You sir have very good taste. You already knew that and I already knew that, but I wanted to say it again for linking to Duckman.

Big Boss
A tourist trap that can surpass Mystery Shack?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Mon May 23, 2011 7:18 am

diribigal wrote: Yes they do, and yes it is.
I'm sad that I linked this earlier in the thread and nobody noticed. :fluttersmith:

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Mon May 23, 2011 8:18 am

kefkafloyd wrote:I'm sad that I linked this earlier in the thread and nobody noticed. :fluttersmith:
Not only did I notice, I bookmarked that shit. It was...beautiful.

Not to mention I...ahh, doooo ah prettygoodimpression oooof PATrick Warbuton. :crack:
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

synthorange

Post by synthorange » Mon May 23, 2011 10:15 am

I had some marinated boccocini this weekend. It was too delicious! Now there are none.

Ponder

Post by Ponder » Mon May 23, 2011 10:50 am

kefkafloyd wrote:
I'm sad that I linked this earlier in the thread and nobody noticed. :fluttersmith:
I thought I'd noticed someone post it earlier, but I saw no other way to respond to a post about multiple types of cheeseburger. Sorry about that.

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Mon May 23, 2011 11:57 am

kefkafloyd wrote:
I think I already had it bookmarked before then due to the burgermap thread on SA.

Since we're on the subject of burgers, burgermap is a pretty cool idea, although they don't have a marker for "crazy good cheese" at the moment.
ImageImageImage Very math.

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Mon May 23, 2011 12:22 pm

I'm all hot and bothered now. :wat:

Cheese story time!

Have any of you folks ever had Rotten cheese? Yes, contrary to popular belief, cheese can indeed go bad. When we moved, we were cleaning out the frigde, and found a 2-3 year old block of Farmer Cheese, a very fresh, unripened cheese. Farmer Cheese is one of the "quick" cheeses. Usually, a very mild taste, and since it is unripened, they can make many batches of it, very similarily to Mozzarella.

Now, ANY cheese that has "exhaled" is either bad, or getting close. You know how most cheese comes in that thick plastic shrink wrap? Well, this sucker was blown up like a balloon. A stinky, stinky balloon. My one roomie (who went to chef school) was all for just throwing it away. I knew it was bad, but I wanted us to experience how bad it was. I popped the bag with a knife, and a terribly foul gas flooded the area. It smelled just like what you think CSI would smell like.

Since Chef Roomie is always going on about "notes" when he eats anything (yet I still do all of the cooking for the apartment), I knew this was a perfect time to use my own tongue as a culinary weapon. Taking a small wedge directly from the nowwet and drippy center, (Farmer Cheese is not like that normally) and being completely overcome by the total "Rotten Cheese" flavour, I managed to get out, in my best snooty tone, "Hmm, yes, well, I'm detecting some sour notes."

We then placed the cheese in a ziplock bag, and threw it away, so the smell would quit seeping into everything.

:vomitpony:

brightman

Post by brightman » Wed May 25, 2011 7:43 pm

Got some muenster when I went to the grocery store the other day. It goes well on sandwiches, using it for grilled cheese sort of works might be better if I mix it with another cheese. I however forgot to pick up the ingredients to make those biscuits when I was there :facehoof:

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Tue May 31, 2011 3:25 pm

My aforementioned front that works at that Wegman's Cheese shop said to me "Today is Crack day!"

I'm thinking, "Crack day?!"

He then linked me:

And then I was all sorts of jealous. :fluttersmith:

TVarmy

Post by TVarmy » Tue May 31, 2011 3:54 pm

Amy Sedaris and Pinkie Pie remind me of each other somehow (silly, manic, multiple personas, etc).

Naturally, that's an excuse to post this recipe from her cookbook.

Haven't tried it yet, but I mean, it's from the star of Strangers with Candy. How can it not be good? Her famous cupcake recipe, incidentally, came out perfect for me. :)

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:26 am

So, anyone else here a Fondue fan?

When I make it at home, I use equal parts Gruyère and Emmental. Add a little bit of White wine, (Or Kirsch Brandy if you can find it, I sure can't.)

I like to use really dark Rye bread, what is that, Pumpernickel? I'm a fan of big flavours.

I don't usually salt the Fondue, but I pepper the shit out of it.

Momo
THIS IS FINE.
Applejack's Aces

Post by Momo (?) » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:52 pm

I had this over the weekend.

Saganaki, a North-Americanized greek food (ie: about as Greek as Chicken Balls are Chinese). Kefalotyri cheese, pan fried, doused in ouzo, set on fire, and doused with a lemon. It's tastier than it looks, and just as healthy as you'd imagine.

KillerJunglist

Post by KillerJunglist » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:38 pm

Momar_Khadufus wrote:I had this over the weekend.
Saganaki, a North-Americanized greek food (ie: about as Greek as Chicken Balls are Chinese). Kefalotyri cheese, pan fried, doused in ouzo, set on fire, and doused with a lemon. It's tastier than it looks, and just as healthy as you'd imagine.
OPPA!
I love saganaki. There was a restaurant near me that served it all flaming and everything but they don't anymore because the fire code said "no".
They were pretty nuts as I recall tho, having the flames go high enough to lick the ceiling. Watching that as a kid was the most :D kind of sight.

Throbulator

Post by Throbulator » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:23 pm

I saw this majestic critter back on page 2 and just had to make it move.

Ayuup.

brightman

Post by brightman » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:15 pm

Ha, that's awesome. I didn't expect that to get animated, or that it'd work as an animation as well as it does.

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:25 pm

Inspired by this thread I decided to be adventurous (by my standards) and I picked up some brillat savarin with walnuts. The logo looks a lot like the one here, but it's "noix" ("nuts") instead of "moule a la louche" (I can't type accent marks easily).

It tastes more complex than any cheese I've ever had, and the nuts play off it very well, and I wish I had the vocabulary to describe it better.

Does anypony have any experience with this (or recommendations of related cheeses)?

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:35 pm

diribigal wrote:It tastes more complex than any cheese I've ever had, and the nuts play off it very well, and I wish I had the vocabulary to describe it better.
This is stupid, because, it isn't like I know any of you. But reading this, for some reason, just makes me feel all happy/warm/proud. :ohboy:

mochabean
Semper Pie

Post by mochabean (?) » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:10 pm

Hey boys~! Lookee what ah got heah!

Ay, where are da cheddah biscuits at?

I actually made the spoonfulls for this batch a bit too big, so they didn't turn out 100% - but they still taste delicious. :D

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:20 pm

Now, for my next impression...

Jesse Owens...who is really hungry and wants to eat those! :D

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:20 pm

Aramek wrote: This is stupid, because, it isn't like I know any of you. But reading this, for some reason, just makes me feel all happy/warm/proud. :ohboy:
:awesomedash:

I am legitimately glad that competent people got to work on a cartoon show for a toy line so that I could be brought into a discussion about food of a type that I might never have otherwise ventured into and become closer to strangers for reasons that ultimately have nothing to do with the original cartoon except perhaps for the smilies it spawned. :ponydrugs:
MochaBean wrote:Hey boys~! Lookee what ah got heah!

They look beautiful. :D

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:22 pm

Not gonna lie, those biscuits look pretty rad.

Ponder

Post by Ponder » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:46 pm

Mannn, I can't bake worth crap, but those look so good I'm tempted to try.

mochabean
Semper Pie

Post by mochabean (?) » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:48 pm

PonderSketch wrote:Mannn, I can't bake worth crap, but those look so good I'm tempted to try.
That's the beauty of Bisquick based foodstuffs. It's so simple, you practically have to work to screw it up. :iamapony:

IRQ

Post by IRQ » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:47 pm

Got some goat cheese today, gonna make goat cheese and spinach quesadillas. :yay:

brightman

Post by brightman » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:38 pm

Made those biscuits with my sister over the weekend. She added the shredded cheese before mixing the bisquick and water...probably best you don't do that, but they were still delicious. Also, I need to go to the store tomorrow, so I can get the ingredients for myself...also the muenster was great, now for something else...not sure what yet.

Edit: Got some goat cheese at the store yesterday. Ate it with some grape juice since I have no wine and it was quite good. Not sure what the hell I'm going to do with it yet.

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:51 pm

Hey! You guys remember this from page one?

After hearing The Great M talk about it, (you magnificent Austrian bastard), I was talking about the Tete de Moine with my buddy that works as the cheesemonger. He said it was one of the best cheeses he's ever had.

So, I found a Girolle (that metal device that shaves the cheese) for a really good price on the internet, and ordered it today! Oh yessss, my pretty, pretty cheese...soon, you will be mine.

The great M

Post by The great M » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:10 pm

Aramek wrote:Hey! You guys remember this from page one?

After hearing The Great M talk about it, (you magnificent Austrian bastard), I was talking about the Tete de Moine with my buddy that works as the cheesemonger. He said it was one of the best cheeses he's ever had.

So, I found a Girolle (that metal device that shaves the cheese) for a really good price on the internet, and ordered it today! Oh yessss, my pretty, pretty cheese...soon, you will be mine.
It is both tasty and elegant, truly the best cheese there is.
As far as flavor goes, it's kinda spicy, with a strong aftertaste. A sweet wine works great as a counterbalance.

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:18 pm

Would you perfer a White or Red? I have a few "sweets" of both. A Soft Red, and my favourite Riesling. :awesomedash:

The great M

Post by The great M » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:26 pm

I don't like white wines in general, so that would be a biased opinion :rariwhat:

Obligatory Toast

Post by Obligatory Toast » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:09 am

Aramek wrote:My aforementioned front that works at that Wegman's Cheese shop said to me "Today is Crack day!"

I'm thinking, "Crack day?!"

He then linked me:

And then I was all sorts of jealous. :fluttersmith:
I love those wheels of cheese. I used to think those were decorative when they first opened in my area.

If you so much as brush your hand against that rind your hand will smell like Parmesan goodness all day.

Gandore

Post by Gandore » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:47 am

Mmm...there's a store near me that sells delicious aged cheddar (oldest is 20 years) and it just melts in your mouth :awesomedash:

I had my first run in with Gorgonzola a few years ago. I was over at my parents place when my mom opened the oven and pulled out these waffle fries that were covered in melted gorgonzola. The smell was REALLY distinct, but she pushed me by saying "just try a little bit"; so I grabbed a waffle fry that only had a couple specks of gorgonzola on it.

"hmm...tangy and strong, I like it!"

*Grabs a waffle fry covered in it*

Ugh never again :bluh:

Dear princess celestia,

That day I learned that with gorgonzola a little bit goes a long, LONG way.

:dearcelestia:

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:28 am

Gandore wrote:That day I learned that with gorgonzola a little bit goes a long, LONG way.

That's because he hates you and all the things you like. My Chef roomie loves Bleu cheese, and I really don't. So, yeah, a tiiiny bit is plenty for me.

brightman

Post by brightman » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:22 pm

Made some of those cheddar biscuits. They're awesome.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:21 pm

a quick holiday snap from france

👉👉🥜🏠

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:18 pm

Oh Holiest Camembert, please see fit to bless us with a trip report. And render unto IWF, your humble servant, many wonderful memories.

Artificer

Post by Artificer (?) » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:51 pm

Aramek wrote:
That's because he hates you and all the things you like. My Chef roomie loves Bleu cheese, and I really don't. So, yeah, a tiiiny bit is plenty for me.
Maybe it is because I lived in Denmark for a couple years, but I love blue cheese. I use it on toast and stuff sometimes.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:19 am

Certainly was camembert, unless they make an extra strong brie. It needed to be a tad warmer to go runny in the middle like some of the other, more tantalising pictures of camembert here. It tasted excellent.

Also, if you want to know why I was in France, it's because last weekend the International Mini Meeting was held in St Stefan in Switzerland, so I was a passenger in a convoy of 11 classic minis who drove their way from England via a ferry to Dunkirk. Turns out St Stefan is in the middle of a rural valley in the alps, so we had some awesome switchback and mountain driving. The kind of roads where only a feeble wooden fence on the edge of a thin ribbon of tarmac separates you from a fall to certain death, and you have to deal with the oncoming traffic.

Here's two shots from the trip.
👉👉🥜🏠

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:28 am

Man, I just had a long and shitty day at work, hey, what's that FedEx box doing th-

Ohboyohboyohboyohboy.

Ooh, look at that rind! And that...erm, smell.

Let's get this on the Girolle. Now, you may know that with most amazing cheeses, it smells a lot different than it tastes. Especially stinky cheeses. Some of them taste amazing, yet smell horrible! This one smells like dog shit.

This is easily the most complex cheese I've ever enjoyed. The flavour, akin to Camembert, actually changes as it melts in your mouth. The texture is grainy, like all great Swiss cheeses. The smell gets more potent as you sniff the "rose" florette, and even my roomie who is a picky eater loved it.

The internet said to enjoy it with a Dry White, and, as I'm not the biggest fan of Dry-anythings, I had a sweet Soft Red on hand. The flavour interaction was very noticable.

Uh ohhhhhhh. Somebody is noticing all the delicious, stinky cheese going on. Well, Baron, what's the verdict?

My dog has great taste.

My apologies for the odd looking photos. It was really gloomy here yesterday, so I didn't have much light with which to work with. Also, should I do more of these? Do some sort of pictoral cheese review? I love taking food pictures, you see. :yay:

brightman

Post by brightman » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:19 pm

Do more, yes, also include the dog as much as you care to as well he's cute.