S2 Spoilers Thread is Dead Like Spike

Where only the shiniest threads are preserved for all to see.
Colton, M.D.

Re: Spike Dies: S2 Spoilers Thread for Spoiling (Spoilers IT

Post by Colton, M.D. » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:10 pm

Wayoshi wrote:Plausible setup: the three tribes have interdependence, but the earth ponies are left hanging as they do not have the leverage of controlling the weather or sun/moon cycles, and thus are the lower class that actually controls the entire species' food supplies.

Not simple, but not complicated, really just right. My Celestia-tier sense is tingling more than ever now
Why does everyone think Earth Ponies are lower class? I mean, Appleloosa is primarily filled with Earth ponies, and they built the town within, what, a year? Plus they had a burgeoning apple orchard in the desert. I'm pretty sure they're on par with Unicorns and Pegasi.

Though I am curious about the unicorns controlling the sun/moon cycles; I wonder what happened that Celestia and Luna took over that role?

Whitenoise Poster

Post by Whitenoise Poster » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:18 pm

MochaBean wrote:
:awesomedash: :gotcha: :crack:

Oh wow, I can already tell this is gonna be awesome. Is it wrong to want a spinoff show that's devoted to nothing but pony history?
I want that too. Hell, I'll settle for a textbook on the fake history of cartoon magical ponies. I'm secretly Twilight irl.

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:24 pm

Whitenoise Poster wrote:
I want that too. Hell, I'll settle for a textbook on the fake history of cartoon magical ponies. I'm secretly Twilight irl.
The Ponyrillion with forward by Christoper lee
Last edited by The Doctor on Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aurora

Post by Aurora » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:33 pm

The Doctor wrote:
The Ponyrillionm with forward by Christoper lee
Maybe I'd be able to actually finish that book. :fluttersmith:

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:35 pm

I'd be all over that. But then I'm one of those Tolkien freaks who reads all the huge thick books of backstory and notes his son put together where the footnotes take up most of each page. Over and over and over.

Also this clip is the best thing. :awesomedash:

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:55 pm

Colton, M.D. wrote:Why does everyone think Earth Ponies are lower class?
As far as the clip goes, it looks like the Unicorns and Pegasi each have a simple task to perform, but otherwise don't do anything of significance, or give anything to the other tribes. Meanwhile, the Earth Ponies have to tend the earth without the aid of magic or flight, and are likely working their asses off every waking hour, only to give up the bulk of their hard work to the guys who probably do their one thing that day and then go golfing.

Speaking of the clip, I love how the fire in the fireplace is actually two ponies waving cardboard cutouts on sticks around. :awesomedash:

vvv - By far the greatest explanation of the power dynamic between the races, and describes Rainbow Dash to a tee.
Last edited by Quanta on Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Image3DS Friend Code: 2852-6885-2752

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:56 pm

:v: It's just like the story of the pegasus and the earth pony. All year long, the earth pony kept burying acorns for winter, while the pegasus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then the winter came, and the earth pony died, and the pegasus ate all his acorns. Also he got a race car. Is any of this getting through to you?

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:15 pm

Colton, M.D. wrote:
Why does everyone think Earth Ponies are lower class? I mean, Appleloosa is primarily filled with Earth ponies, and they built the town within, what, a year? Plus they had a burgeoning apple orchard in the desert. I'm pretty sure they're on par with Unicorns and Pegasi.
I never said that was the case now, I was judging what it was then based on the clip.

Discord

Post by Discord » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:16 pm

Headless Horse wrote::v: It's just like the story of the pegasus and the earth pony. All year long, the earth pony kept burying acorns for winter, while the pegasus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then the winter came, and the earth pony died, and the pegasus ate all his acorns. Also he got a race car. Is any of this getting through to you?
Pegasi are selfish jerks? :iamapony:

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:06 pm

It'd be interesting if that episode is released on DVD before it's broadcast (Happened before; PPG episode "Twisted Sister" was released on video a month before it actually aired on TV)

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:07 pm

That was a hell of an episode, too.

"The Last Roundup" sounds uncharacteristically heavy.

@Zebra_ebooks
The Great and Powerful Trixsters

Post by @Zebra_ebooks (?) » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:08 pm

Could it be? An AJ episode?

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:09 pm

Headless Horse wrote: "The Last Roundup" sounds uncharacteristically heavy.
Obviously it's the "Applejack's dead parents" episode :gotcha:

numsOic

Post by numsOic » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:12 pm

AJ does a last roundup and must then leave Ponyville.

:ohgawd:

Doctor Wheeze
Stare Masters

Post by Doctor Wheeze (?) » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:15 pm

Headless Horse wrote:"The Last Roundup" sounds uncharacteristically heavy.
LiamA wrote:Could it be? An AJ episode?
Granny Smith :fluttersmith:
......:hatte:
:flutterunsmith:

Luneshot

Post by Luneshot » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:16 pm

Well, this show isn't afraid to tackle the bigger themes- but I'm not sure they'll go as far as to openly refer to death in the show.

stuff
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by stuff (?) » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:26 pm

AJ episode? It's actually a Big Mac episode! :iamapony:

or ol' Granny kicks the bucket... :fluttersmith: :v:

Nissl

Post by Nissl » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:52 pm

I thought they said they weren't going to directly deal with heavy themes like death and war in the show, although obviously there are a lot of elliptical references to them (e.g. the last episode).

My money's on another Appleloosa episode (more train!) with some sort of environmental theme.

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:07 pm

He said that, yeah, but he also said they hadn't figured out where the cutie mark story arc was going and wouldn't answer anything directly about Luna. Granted, that's the difference between being cagey about things he knows something about and answering with a direct "no", but honestly at this point I don't know what to believe was true on its face in that Q&A session.

One thing's for sure, he was corralling his information very carefully. He knows how to play the game.

Lazy

Post by Lazy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:16 pm

This is good. I like AJ, but she just needs... more. And I think I'm okay with a heavier than normal episode, too, although it could end up just being completely different than what we could possibly infer from the title and I think we all know that. Either way.

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:50 pm

I just realized that "The Last Roundup" could be referring to Winona. I really hope not :fluttersmith:

Luneshot

Post by Luneshot » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:53 pm

It's referring to the only remaining stocks of weedkiller left in the entirety of Equestria. You're just all being pessimistic.

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:58 pm

Once the description pops up we're going to look back on this and go "man we sure are a bunch of idiots :v: "

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar (?) » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:00 am

Personally I want one episode to be heavy. :pinkieshrug: It doesn't have to be death to be bittersweet.
Gloriosa Did Nothing Wrong

Artificer

Post by Artificer (?) » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:00 am

I'm not sure how I would feel about that........sad, obviously......but not sure if I want it.

itinerant nomad

Post by itinerant nomad » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:20 am

AJ finally admits that her "livestock" are as equally sentient as she is. She decides to free them, despite the danger it poses to her livelihood.
For old time's sake, they have one last roundup.

Seriously, I don't really know, that just sounded random enough to tickle my fancy.
:pinkieshrug:

Nissl

Post by Nissl » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:52 am

Headless Horse wrote:He also said they hadn't figured out where the cutie mark story arc was going(...)
Yeah, but I thought he specifically said they hadn't decided on whether they would get their cutie marks. Obviously we got a little progression (I think) as far as the CMC's attitudes and they played with actually getting a cutie mark, but odds are decent we won't see anything concrete actually happen in S2.
Last edited by Nissl on Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:54 am

As I said before, the CMCs getting their cutie marks is a series finale thing. Until then, it's pretty much "status quo is god" thing for the show.

Whitenoise Poster

Post by Whitenoise Poster » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:06 am

Gona go ahead and guess that the episode is going to be exactly what you all say it couldn't possibly be. AJ is going to sit down and tell AB a story about their parents and they are totally gona be dead.

And when the episode airs and I'm right you'll all come back and quote this post and be all "god damn Whitenoise how do you know literally everything it must be hard being as awesome as you." And I'll be all "aw shucks guys it aint nothing" being all fake modest and you'll all be "let us shower you with gifts and money and praise" and I'll be all coy and shit "oh no I couldn't possibly except all this" and you'll all be "we insist!" and I'll be "well in that case thanks for the stuff guys see ya latter nerd lords" and drive off on my cool motorcycle.

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:10 am

And then I'll be all "but I said it first!" and nobody will notice because Whitenoise is cool and I am not.

Whitenoise Poster

Post by Whitenoise Poster » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:18 am

It'll be like in the movies where the main character stands up and says an idea that will help the company to his bosses and the bosses act like it's a terrible idea and then the main characters rival stands up and repeats the exact same idea and everyone claps for the rival saying what a great idea that was.

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:33 am

Mr. Big wrote:As I said before, the CMCs getting their cutie marks is a series finale thing. Until then, it's pretty much "status quo is god" thing for the show.
Until last week, I would have said the same about any kind of resolution to the Spike-Rarity thing. I figure, the Cutie Mark Crusaders will get their marks whenever someone at Hasbro decides it's time to trot out toys of them with cutie marks that appear in warm water.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:26 am

First off, that clip has got me every excited. :awesomedash:

Second, that list of episodes has got me excited as well. What could "The Last Roundup" be? An Applejack episode? I look forward to finding out more.

Also, I'd like to see them tackle the issue of death. It's a good lesson for kids to learn. And it's not like children's television hasn't taught kids about death before. Rugrats did it in the episode about Chuckie's pet bug, Sesame Street did it in one of the most beautiful ways I've ever seen, and hell, even Alvin & The Chipmunks did it. I don't see why ponies can't too.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ragnar

Post by Ragnar (?) » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:18 am

And it'd be amazing if they did. This show wears emotional weight well when it needs to.
e: Dammit, now I'm hype about something that will never actually exist. :facehoof:
Gloriosa Did Nothing Wrong

Whitenoise Poster

Post by Whitenoise Poster » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:29 am

You all better stop talking yourselves into thinking that talking directly about death has even the remotest possiblity of happening because if you do my post will be less special for being right if it's surrounded by everyone else going "hey maybe that isn't impossible."

Aurora

Post by Aurora » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:44 am

It's too late Whitenoise, they've adopted your idea. And you're powerless to stop it.

Grue

Post by Grue » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:23 am

"The Last Roundup" will be about Equestria Daily receiving C&D letter. Y'know because they have a feature called "Nightly Roundup" in there.

Whitenoise Poster

Post by Whitenoise Poster » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:36 am

Chunky wrote:It's too late Whitenoise, they've adopted your idea. And you're powerless to stop it.
Its that very first FiM thread i made all over again! :gonkity:
Grue wrote:"The Last Roundup" will be about Equestria Daily receiving C&D letter. Y'know because they have a feature called "Nightly Roundup" in there.
I'd watch it.

Lawyers force Twilight to take down her Princess Celestia fansite off the ponynet. She tries to solve the problem with magic and we all know how that goes.

Wylie

Post by Wylie » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:42 am

Nah, I think Granny Smith is going to have to go the conveniently-just-introduced-in-Mare-do-well-and-also-brought-up-apropos-of-nothing-in-Luna-Eclipsed retirement home. All the pathos of a death episode without having to get rid of Granny Smith.

There, Whitenoise, some cover for you. :v:
:starity:
:bluh:
:fluttersmith: