S2 Spoilers Thread is Dead Like Spike

Where only the shiniest threads are preserved for all to see.
The Ghost of Ember
don't you feel so scared sometimes?

Re: Spike Dies: S2 Spoilers Thread for Spoiling (Spoilers IT

Post by The Ghost of Ember (?) » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:57 am

itinerant nomad wrote:
The way the spoiler clip portrayed the earth ponies did show them as being exploited by the other tribes. However, this could be a misdirect or unreliable narration. It would be one way to inject drama into the play, if it turns out that each 1/3 of the main six disagrees on which tribe was being treated unfairly.
The characters/representations of the tribes in the play itself disagreeing would be enough for consistency, I think. What I was trying to say was less 'they aren't exploiting the earth ponies,' and more 'they at least bring important actual work into the mix', unlike our ruling classes who just rule and offer nothing more than leadership, indicating a marked difference between human society and pony society. I just added some tongue-in-cheek libermareian ranting to the mix, which was hopefully funny but sort of derailed the point.
RIP Syndrome wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:56 pm
this universe is cursed

Humorless Clod

Post by Humorless Clod » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:25 pm

I sort of thought that the unicorns really weren't a 'ruling class', but kind of were like that kid who proclaimed he was king of the playground for no reason, but everybody ignored the claim. Although the unicorn princess seems to be a nobility figure... she doesn't seem to have ANY authority over the other pony races.

I would bet that it's just that the earth ponies had some kind of electoral system (A chancellor like Switzerland, elected by a parliment? A Chancellor like Germany??), the pegasi had a stratocracy (A stratusocracy?), and the unicorns had a monarchy. And they were all separate.

Huitzil

Post by Huitzil » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:29 pm

Humorless Clod wrote:I sort of thought that the unicorns really weren't a 'ruling class', but kind of were like that kid who proclaimed he was king of the playground for no reason, but everybody ignored the claim. Although the unicorn princess seems to be a nobility figure... she doesn't seem to have ANY authority over the other pony races.
Yeah, that. Princess Platinum was a princess of unicorns, not of all ponykind, since there was no nation of "all ponykind". "Unicorns are the ruling class, earth ponies are exploited!" is just people seeing what they want to see.

numsOic

Post by numsOic » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:41 pm

Humorless Clod wrote:the pegasi had a stratocracy (A stratusocracy?)
Being how they seem to be pretty military, a meritocracy seems apt.

Scuderia
Tired,
but
Strong
Fashion Queens

Post by Scuderia (?) » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:08 am

sometime on friday Headless Horse wrote:Having the ponies be immigrants to Equestria is going to break about 101% of fanon.

Shotgunbadger

Post by Shotgunbadger (?) » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:58 am

And I love it for it. Can we have a thread for laughing at dumb people in the community?

Big Boss
A tourist trap that can surpass Mystery Shack?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:30 am

No. We did and it didn't work out too well.

Huitzil

Post by Huitzil » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:12 am

shotgunbadger wrote:And I love it for it. Can we have a thread for laughing at dumb people in the community?
Every single episode -- every single one, without fail! -- has people on this site and similar people all over the fandom positively CACKLING with glee that Those Other Fans are going to be so upset that their fanon has been ruined, there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth, and it will be SO HILARIOUS that other people will be unhappy.

Every single episode this mass outcry of Those Other Fans freaking out completely and utterly fails to materialize. It doesn't happen. And that never stops the cynical smugger-than-thou fans from predicting the NEXT episode will ruin all of the fanon, and all Those Other Fans are going to be so unhappy, and it will be SO HILARIOUS, etc.

I guess what I am saying is please please please for the love of all that is holy STOP DOING THIS. Just stop. Those other fans you hate so much like the show, they probably like the show more than you do. The fanfic writers like it when this "fanon-ruining" stuff happens because it means they are learning more about the world, and they have new things to speculate about and invent details for. Equestria Daily's comment thread on the HWE episode was far more positive than the one here, and the people on ponychan who disliked the episode appear to have done so for the exact same reasons people HERE disliked the episode, they're just way more dickish about it. But, of course, the ponychan users who did like it act as if the ones who didn't are freaking out over FANON. You don't need a thread for mocking the "dumb people" crying over fanon because they barely exist outside your imagination.

And it makes me really, really, legitimately depressed how much people want to imagine that other people are being stupid and contemptible so they can sneer and laugh at them. It's horrible. Please, please, in the spirit of Christmas, in the spirit of Hearth's Warming Eve, in the spirit of just not being a jerk, don't do this any more.

Big Boss
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:19 am

The cackling glee of people is in your imagination too, so drop it. Nobody is actually behaving that way.

blasmeister
Semper Pie

Post by blasmeister (?) » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:22 am

Huitzil wrote: And it makes me really, really, legitimately depressed how much people want to imagine that other people are being stupid and contemptible so they can sneer and laugh at them. It's horrible. Please, please, in the spirit of Christmas, in the spirit of Hearth's Warming Eve, in the spirit of just not being a jerk, don't do this any more.

A slightly shameless emptyquote but I couldn't agree more with this. We want to be better here, we can do that without being derisive, especially over imagined idiocy. :facehoof:
ImageImageImageImage

Scuderia
Tired,
but
Strong
Fashion Queens

Post by Scuderia (?) » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:28 am

shotgunbadger wrote:And I love it for it. Can we have a thread for laughing at dumb people in the community?
Naw - This is the speculation / prediction thread and "If X happens the whole world will have been turned."
And it was, very clearly so.
There's a speculation on the writer, nope. Way off, too.

And don't jump on the pics from the weird n' briny brony meets. It's a slippery slope.
And most of the time they're a fair bit younger than you.

E: Half awake phone posting. Kinda shit. :pinkieshrug:
Last edited by Scuderia on Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Ghost of Ember

Post by The Ghost of Ember (?) » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:37 am

kefkafloyd wrote:The cackling glee of people is in your imagination too, so drop it. Nobody is actually behaving that way.
The one time there was actual weeping and gnashing of teeth was over Heartstrings, and it hit ponygoons just as hard. I cackled. Well, it wasn't so much a cackle as it was a :gotcha:

The real reason this is going on though is because we are not so smart.
RIP Syndrome wrote:
this universe is cursed

Shotgunbadger

Post by Shotgunbadger (?) » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:16 pm

Yea the last time there was real cackling is when even we went 'what, heartstrings that's fucking dumb she's Lyra', and that was more a 'aw shit we've become them' kinda laugh. But yea, sorry, in the Christmas/Hearth Warming spirit I'll not be a dick about the others :rainbert: .

Big Boss
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:18 pm

And they say shotgunbadger's heart grew three sizes that day...

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:18 pm

That's a great link, Ember, thanks.

itinerant nomad

Post by itinerant nomad » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:37 pm

That's a great insight into the mindsets of all those other people. :v:

Fun pony numerology/conspiracy theory:

We sit back and ask ourselves, whence came the alicorn sisters and when did they first enter the narrative of Equestria?

Once, we believed there only to be two such creatures, but we know that there are now at least three.
For the founders of Equestria, their windigo foes numbered three, and the three were bound within the one flaming heart by the bonds of the tribes numbering three.
Two sisters did not attend the play, and one menacing reminder of what lurks in world beyond was heard.
Not a one of the sisters is seen on the day the one heart is displayed.

stonecutter

Post by stonecutter (?) » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:39 pm

kefkafloyd wrote:And they say shotgunbadger's heart grew three sizes that day...
Hopefully it was because of love and not some unfortunate medical condition. :drpony:

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:18 am

Fun fact! A lifetime of obesity/generally being overweight does indeed result in a big heart. The heart is a muscle like any other, so, the more it gets a workout, the larger it becomes. I've done autopsy where the heart was very obviously larger than another subjects and we'd remark "Oh, this guy must have been heavier!" Because, after you strip all the outside layers off, we all look the same on the inside: we all look buff as hell. [/aramek]
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Artificer

Post by Artificer (?) » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:25 pm

I'm sure I could use the above on a date........somehow......

Nissl

Post by Nissl » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:33 pm

Next episode information is out.

S2E13: Baby Cakes
Pinkie Pie tries babysitting Cake's twin toddlers but finds it harder than she thought.

Sounds like Stare Master, but with Pinkie Pie. I'll be interested to see what the twist is, besides giving toddler-aged ponies a major role for the first time.
Last edited by Nissl on Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctor Wheeze
Stare Masters

Post by Doctor Wheeze (?) » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:35 pm

Oh god, more baby ponies :gah:
......:hatte:
:flutterunsmith:

Grue

Post by Grue » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:45 pm

inb4 Newborn Cuties

Since when do Cakes have children? I thought they adopted Pinkie because they had no children on their own.

A Pinkie song is pretty much a given. Aside from that, well, I can only hope the title doesn't have a double meaning. Especially after the Wendigos.

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:49 pm

Fluttershy gives advice, referencing Stare Master in a supporting role? :yay: Or can she not help since CMC are not babies :fluttersmith:

Still, Pinkie episode :-D I am curious to see the twins, completely new characters there. We've only seen one baby pony so far as well.

EDIT: The leaked song is VERY likely here, I won't say exactly what it entails but it seems to fit the plot perfectly.
Last edited by Wayoshi on Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ozone

Post by ozone » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:49 pm

A Pinkie episode!? It's about time. :rainbert:
Grue wrote:Since when do Cakes have children? I thought they adopted Pinkie because they had no children on their own.
I assume Pinkie is only renting a room at Sugar Cube Corner and isn't actually adopted by the Cakes.

The Ghost of Ember

Post by The Ghost of Ember (?) » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:50 pm

Welp, I guess we know where that leaked song came from now.

I also figured the Cakes for childless and unable to have them for whatever reason. They seemed like the empty nest sort. Probably fanon has seeped into my skull, corrupting my precious bodily fluids. Time to bomb Russia. :v:
RIP Syndrome wrote:
this universe is cursed

Lazy

Post by Lazy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:55 pm

I'm kinda hoping they don't look like the slightly freaky-looking one RD saved.

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:56 pm

The Ghost Of Ember wrote:corrupting my precious bodily fluids.
That would be one reason you're unable to have any kids. :v:

Poor Yorick

Post by Poor Yorick » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:56 pm

Meh. Wake me up when Flutters or AJ get their episode.

Grue

Post by Grue » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:58 pm

ozone wrote:I assume Pinkie is only renting a room at Sugar Cube Corner and isn't actually adopted by the Cakes.
Well I didn't mean literally adopted, but I think even Lauren Faust said that she is like a daughter to them. I mean, she's a terrible employee and tenant, but they still let her stay. :pinkieshrug:

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:04 pm

Think about it; Pinkie would be the shittiest roomate. Like, even worse than Dash.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:10 pm

Aramek wrote:Think about it; Pinkie would be the shittiest roomate. Like, even worse than Dash.
My dream episode: Pinkie, for whatever reason, has to stay with one of the others (except Dash, because of cloud-house) and end up driving all of them crazy.

Chronos30

Post by Chronos30 (?) » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:22 pm

Aramek wrote:Think about it; Pinkie would be the shittiest roomate. Like, even worse than Dash.
So true. Not a moment's peace, and always an empty fridge.

The DC

Post by The DC (?) » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:30 pm

TheLaziestBrony wrote:I'm kinda hoping they don't look like the slightly freaky-looking one RD saved.
I hope they don't, too; the description does say "toddlers," and not infants or babies or anything like that. Maybe that means they'll be a little older, so they'll look more like Pip and less like that creepy baby.

...I hope. :flutterdear:

Caldera

Post by Caldera » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:12 pm

Dee Cee wrote: I hope they don't, too; the description does say "toddlers," and not infants or babies or anything like that. Maybe that means they'll be a little older, so they'll look more like Pip and less like that creepy baby.

...I hope. :flutterdear:
They could also look like Cheerilee did in the picture she showed the class in CotC.

IIRC, she wasn't in diapers anymore, but also not that big.

numsOic

Post by numsOic » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:23 pm

Am I the only one who liked the baby design from Mare Do Well? :pinkieshrug:

The great M

Post by The great M » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:30 pm

Chances of Pinkie Pie losing her shit in that episode: high.

BartonFink

Post by BartonFink (?) » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:47 pm

The Ghost Of Ember wrote:Welp, I guess we know where that leaked song came from now.
You know (very mild spoilers about that song, at best) while this is fully possible I don't know if that's quite a guarantee, nothing in the song seems to directly match up with that description. I wouldn't say it's a guarantee.

Pinkie episode with a high probability of some kind of nervous breakdown? Count me in.

(I'm serious, episodes with some sort of breakdown tend to be my favorites)
numsOic wrote:Am I the only one who liked the baby design from Mare Do Well? :pinkieshrug:
I liked it too :pinkietoot:

Super Karoru

Post by Super Karoru » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:35 pm

Well, this is a new development. I'm glad there's a Pinkie ep, as she was desperately due for some focus this season. :-D

The Cakes running their own business all day and that we never saw any foals running around was what got me thinking that they were childless and that Pinkie was like "the daughter they never had." It does show how much they must trust her if they're allowing her to watch their twins, though. All the way back to Ticket Master was when they let her run Sugarcube Corner all by herself for the first time (and... that didn't go well). I can't wait to see the mental breakdown.

numsOic

Post by numsOic » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:38 pm

So hey remember when Pinkie Pie pretty much destroyed Sugarcube Corner recently? :gotcha:

(I know it was Spike, but the Cakes don't know that.)

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:40 pm

A Pinkie Pie episode? Color me excited!

I also was not expecting the Cake's to have children seeing how we haven't seen or heard of them ever before. This should be interesting! And I actually kind of liked the baby design from Mare Do Well too.