S2 Spoilers Thread is Dead Like Spike

Where only the shiniest threads are preserved for all to see.
BHHammy

Re: Spike Dies: S2 Spoilers Thread for Spoiling (Spoilers IT

Post by BHHammy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:20 am

It'll either be a broken wing in a cast, or she'll get really sick with something. Maybe she catches something contagious and has to be quarantined to the hospital or something, unable to fly. Not sure what else they'd do to ground her in such a fashion that she has to be in the hospital.
itinerant nomad wrote:I'm kind of sad Rainbow finds the joy of reading. That means she won't spend her time recuperating staring out the back window with a telescope, just certain something bad has happened in the house she's spied on and struggling to prove she's not being paranoid.
Headless Horse wrote:But what show hasn't done a Rear Window spoof by this point?
For some reason, that statement made me think of the movie "Arlington Road" instead.

...good lord, that movie was messed up. In a good way, I guess, but damn.
Last edited by BHHammy on Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Throbulator

Post by Throbulator » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:22 am

Derpy will be the cause of RD's injuries.

itinerant nomad

Post by itinerant nomad » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:24 am

Chunky wrote:Did you miss Lesson Zero?

Bird in the Hoof too, for that matter.
Lesson Zero was a freakout, but I did not get paranoid vibes from it.
Bird in the Hoof had a brief portion where there was dramatic tension like an old crime story where a character is trying to hide his guilt, which is fine.

It's something that didn't fit my conception of a Rear Window reference.

BHHammy

Post by BHHammy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:28 am

Throbulator wrote:Derpy will be the cause of RD's injuries.
I'm suddenly picturing Derpy having to do Dash's weather control job.
It would be hilarious.

Luneshot

Post by Luneshot » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:32 am

BHHammy wrote: I'm suddenly picturing Derpy having to do Dash's weather control job.
It would be hilarious.

Code: Select all

***EQUESTRIAN ALERT SYSTEM***

THE EQUESTRIAN WEATHER SERVICE HAS ISSUED A LIQUID RAINBOW FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR PONYVILLE AND THE SURROUNDING AREA.

EFFECTIVE UNTIL RAINBOW DASH IS OUT OF THE HOSPITAL AND CAN RESTORE ORDER.
followed shortly by Derpy topping Equestria's Most Wanted list for a short time.

Big Boss
A tourist trap that can surpass Mystery Shack?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:37 am

The Last Roundup extended description.
After attending a rodeo competition being held in Canterlot, Applejack mysteriously disappears without a trace, so it is up to the friends to travel all over Equestria, searching high and low for their missing pony companion.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:16 pm

Twists and turns are my master plan,
Then find Applejack back where you began.

Not sure what to make of a missing pony episode, but I expect "searching all over Equestria" will get everyone excited.

ozone

Post by ozone » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:23 pm

So it's going to be like the Hangover but with ponies. :v:

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:25 pm

SlateSlabrock wrote:Twists and turns are my master plan,
Then find Applejack back where you began.

Not sure what to make of a missing pony episode, but I expect "searching all over Equestria" will get everyone excited.
I want to hear a Ponified version of this Dr. Seuss song

"Applejack! Where the heck are you!?"

Luneshot

Post by Luneshot » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:36 pm

kefkafloyd wrote:After attending a rodeo competition being held in Canterlot, Applejack mysteriously disappears without a trace, so it is up to the friends to travel all over Equestria, searching high and low for their missing pony companion.
Worldbuilding :awesomedash:

itinerant nomad

Post by itinerant nomad » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:44 pm

She's in the new fruit cellar, the fruuuiiit celllaarrrr!

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:53 pm

So much Canterlot lately.

Star Platinum

Post by Star Platinum » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:04 pm

But not even the smallest background appearance from Luna since episode 4. :fluttersmith:

I do wonder why they would hold a rodeo in Canterlot of all places.

Pyrovile

Post by Pyrovile » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:20 pm

Star Platinum wrote:But not even the smallest background appearance from Luna since episode 4. :fluttersmith:

I do wonder why they would hold a rodeo in Canterlot of all places.
So the nobles can laugh at the peasants and their silly little games.

thatbastardken

Post by thatbastardken » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:29 pm

Calling it now: Applejack has been kidnapped and taken to/marooned on the island of a noble pony with a Russian accent. Now she must outwit him in the most dangerous game: squash.

:bluh:

Throbulator

Post by Throbulator » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:48 pm

Applejack wins the rodeo. The other ponies will find her sitting on top of a hill staring into the sunset; "Look Ma and Pa. I won the rodeo. I won it for you."
:fluttersmith:

londonarbuckle

Post by londonarbuckle (?) » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:58 pm

Throbulator wrote:Applejack wins the rodeo. The other ponies will find her sitting on top of a hill staring into the sunset; "Look Ma and Pa. I won the rodeo. I won it for you."
:fluttersmith:
Oh man The Story of Granny Pie is going to be canon but for Applejack instead of Pinkie.

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:54 pm

Lauren Faust made a comment a while ago that pretty much said there's no way Applejack's parents are going to be addressed anytime soon:
To put it bluntly, we just never figured it out. I just liked the feeling of them living with their Granny, but keeping the family dynamic tight and small. To be honest, I would like to simply say that they passed away somehow, but it's just it would have likely been deemed too sad for a kids' show and I don't think it would have ever been approved. There was brief discussion of them being traveling salesponies or explorers, but since we never needed the information in an episode, nothing was ever made official. So it will have to remain a mystery until someone decides to define it.
There's a possibility that it's going to come up eventually, of course, and with Hasbro apparently letting the staff get away with more than you'd expect them to it's not entirely unfeasible that there's going to be an "AJ's dead parents" episode, but if it happens it won't be until the third season (which is the point where Faust stopped being involved in the show altogether).

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:23 pm

Now that the Apple family tree has been defined in pretty interesting detail for at least a generation prior to Granny Smith, the parents' absence is even more of an elephant-in-the-room than it was before. But if they don't find themselves needing to address it...

itinerant nomad

Post by itinerant nomad » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:29 am

Back-building the history of the far-flung Apple Family reinforces Applejack's place in the main six as the most grounded pony in terms of personality and also her place in the world. She has not been given an ambition that drives her to be anywhere else or anybody different than who she is or has been since she was little. Parents at this point might be a pendulum swing too far to one side of the balance of characterizations in this show, at least until others get some time to accrue history.

Pinkie and Rarity are the ones closest to her in their ties to the community and family, and that's a distant second and third.
Pinkie is so flighty, and her kin have an absurd vocation of farming rocks. She's part of Ponyville, but it's a very singular role, not a family affair. (She does get to babysit soon, though.)
Rarity has parents we barely see, but at least she has a sister who figures more strongly in various plots. Interestingly, she's characterized as being in love with someday being somewhere else more exciting, and she's had quite a time making a splash this season.

The contrast is extremely stark with the pegasi, who have no parents or kin (edit: that are defined). At present, they barely have a home town. To top it off, Fluttershy's isolated home and reserved nature have her at the periphery, and outside her circle of friends she has few connections. It doesn't seem like she minds, but :fluttersmith: .
Rainbow is interesting in that like Rarity she (in season 1 at least) had plans to go somewhere else. The Discord episodes showed she had a stronger personal tie to Cloudsdale, but she doesn't live there or in Ponyville. I hope the future episode with her and reading gives her a bit more to do or a bit more to be.

Twilight is from elsewhere and has parents that live far away and had a brief non-speaking role. Her central role in most episodes has lead her to be have a secondary role as a thriving transplant. She indirectly has a leg up on Applejack because she's associated with Celestia. That's a root that trumps every other in terms of depth.

How fitting that Celestia's act in Granny Smith's history is a figurative and literal planting of a seed that was the germ for a series of events that would lead to the salvation of her sister generations hence.
I'm not sure I'd be the one to argue that she's that omniscient or machiavellian to have done so on purpose (others use the goddess pony concept more than I do), but it seems after 1000-(age of Ponyville) years, she had the karma of centuries of good deeds or had learned to be a badass even if she didn't have it all planned out to the most minute detail.
:gotcha:

edit: made math more clear

Shotgunbadger

Post by Shotgunbadger (?) » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:59 am

Yea not trying to be all Comic Book Guy but the only pony who's family tree is constantly being addressed and expanded having the big 'uh where's her mom and dad then?' thing is kinda odd!

:bluh: And that's the story of uncle Apple Strudel's (holy shit was gonna make a 'heroic actions at Stalliongrad' shock joke but nope)
:gah: Uh that's great but...couldn't help but notice everyone else at school knows where their mom and dad are...
:applejargh: Shut up and let me tell ya about why we don't invite Apple Tart over anymore.

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:46 pm

itinerant nomad wrote:The contrast is extremely stark with the pegasi, who have no parents or kin (edit: that are defined). At present, they barely have a home town. To top it off, Fluttershy's isolated home and reserved nature have her at the periphery, and outside her circle of friends she has few connections. It doesn't seem like she minds, but :fluttersmith: .
Well, one lyric in "So Many Wonders" implies that, as a filly, she'd have been willing to run away from home if she'd known how much she'd enjoy living on the ground. One wonders what her family situation might have been like that she'd say that so casually. Granted, this is the same episode where Applejack actually does leave home for similarly shallow reasons, so maybe I'm reading too much into it.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Whitenoise Poster

Post by Whitenoise Poster » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:38 pm

The best way to handle some of the missing parents thing would be as a throw away gag.

:ohboy: Sorry I'm late guys but mom and dad somethingsomething. You know how parents are.
:gah: Nope.
:nngh: Not really.

And after a beat of awkward silence we move on to silly CMC advenures.

Wayoshi
Paper Fluts
Stare Masters

Post by Wayoshi (?) » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:26 pm

Cider Squeezy extended:
The Flim Flam brothers challenge the Apples to a Cider Making Contest and the winner of the showdown gets to take Sweet Apple Acres, so with the farm in peril, the Apple ponies must come together and muster all their cider making skills.
:applejargh:

Dal
Praise the Sun
Celestia's Champions

Post by Dal (?) » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:11 pm

Wayoshi wrote:Cider Squeezy extended:

:applejargh:

I wonder what the Apples are going to get if they win. It Has to be something very important to bet the entire farm.
Undecided wrote:Every time you write a story I cant help but sigh, because I know Im gong to lose another man card.

VaultAggie

Post by VaultAggie » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:17 pm

I hope we get to see all the Apples, like braeburn and apple strudel.

mochabean
Semper Pie

Post by mochabean (?) » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:20 pm

Knowing AJ and her competitive stubborn streak, it probably won't be something worth the risk. :gah:

I hope Big Mac gets some minor focus during this episode, since it'll be a family ensemble piece. I can see her betting the farm, and him (calmly) berating her for letting her pride get out of hand again.

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:22 pm

What if it's a two part episode the next two weeks. Flim Flam brothers kidnap AJ to get the secrets of apples, and betting the farm in an all or nothing gambit is the only way to get her back.

Mordja

Post by Mordja » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:38 pm

MochaBean wrote:Knowing AJ and her competitive stubborn streak, it probably won't be something worth the risk. :gah:
Yeah, these kinda bets are always one sided.

I Ran So Far Away

Post by I Ran So Far Away » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:59 pm

My hope is that the Flim-Flam brothers sound like Mr. Haney from Green Acres. Obscure and probably not going to happen, but a delightful thought nonetheless

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:40 pm

Aw, Pat Buttram's not obscure, he's an icon!

They even stuck him in Back to the Future 3.

Big Boss
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:47 pm

Well, Pat Buttram is dead but he's been around enough that there's several good impersonators. Hell, Rob Paulsen rolled out his Buttram impression for Thundercats.

Whitenoise Poster

Post by Whitenoise Poster » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:24 pm

Id laugh if they actually let the Apple family lose and have to find another way to get the farm back.

Doctor Wheeze
Stare Masters

Post by Doctor Wheeze (?) » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:32 pm

Just call in a favor from the Princess. Eminent domain :gotcha:
......:hatte:
:flutterunsmith:

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:42 am

I Ran So Far Away wrote:My hope is that the Flim-Flam brothers sound like Mr. Haney from Green Acres. Obscure and probably not going to happen, but a delightful thought nonetheless
Honestly, I've always suspected that the famous "Fluttershy's not a tree" conversation was a Green Acres reference (I seem to recall Oliver getting into many such arguments with his oblivious neighbors). So it could happen.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:56 am

"Y'all come back now, y'hear?" was a Beverly Hillbillies thing, wasn't it?

numsOic

Post by numsOic » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:04 am

As far as I know, it's a generic phrase they say in the South.

I Ran So Far Away

Post by I Ran So Far Away » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:26 am

:starity: I'm just shocked there are other people out there who have actually seen Green Acres, I thought I was the only person under like 40 years old who's actually seen it.
Except Kefka of course :gotcha:

Big Boss
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:03 am

My first experience with Buttram was Garfield and Friends. :pinkieshrug:

But yes, we did see Green Acres on Nick at Night. :v:

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:26 am

It used to air on... I guess it was either the UPN or the WB station here, Monday through Friday. Considering it was ostensibly just The Beverly Hillbillies in reverse, by the same creative team even, I was amazed at what a radically different direction the actual writing took, with all the absurdist, post-modern humor. It even had a gag where Lisa wakes up and can see the credits on the screen in front of her! And of course Oliver thinks she's crazy... but no more than usual.

So really, it's a perfect show to be referencing on a show that contains Pinkie Pie.