"Roll for Bear!" Critical Role - Voice Actors playing DnD

Good posts, good friends. (General Offtopic)
Angry Critter

"Roll for Bear!" Critical Role - Voice Actors playing DnD

Post by Angry Critter (?) » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:27 pm

Recently I happened upon a YouTube channel called Geek & Sundry that has a weekly stream that shows voice actors playing DnD...

And it's so good. :-D

They got a whole team writing the campaigns and making the maps and battle grids and such. And the usual DM - Matt Mercer - is an absolute pro at guiding the players, with epic narration and many dozens of unique NPC voices. The players themselves are pretty good at role playing their roles while also having the usual meta game giggles. The surrounding community is pretty large too, mostly based on Tumblr afaik. There's a lot of fan art of the characters and their exploits. :3

To get a taste, here's Matt portraying Pumat Sol, a Furbolg NPC merchant/enchanter with three duplicates walking around his establishment:

They are 11 sessions into their newest campaign, but if you don't have 4 hours a week to watch their story unfold, they play a lot of one-shot campaigns too, usually during weeks when some of the usual cast can't make it. There's one in particular that I find especially hilarious:

In this game of 'Honey Heist', the players play a band of bears trying to break into a town's supply of honey during a honey tasting festival, and... Aaaaa, just watch it, it's great! Excuse the nervous DM though, she's never been in the driver's seat before that game. xp

Please tell me I'm not the only 'Critter' here. :P

The Ghost of Ember
don't you feel so scared sometimes?

Re: "Roll for Bear!" Critical Role - Voice Actors playing DnD

Post by The Ghost of Ember (?) » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:35 pm

I tried to do the first season but it was too long and I didn't like that it started unintentionally In Medias Res. Second season is good so far, but I'm annoyed that they lock the twitch recording behind subscription and only release the youtube the following monday, some of us have shit to do on thursday nights and can't devote 4 hours to watching a DnD campaign.

If you like this and are willing to try something similar but less professional, I recommend Dice Camera Action, it has Chris Perkins DMing but doesn't have the baggage of Penny Arcade and is a bit more serious.
RIP Syndrome wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:56 pm
this universe is cursed

Angry Critter

Post by Angry Critter (?) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:22 am

I don't really bother with the chat because I'm usually multitasking while watching anyway. I just watch the episode whenever it's up on YouTube, don't really care on which day it'll be 'new' for me; Thursday or Monday.

The Ghost of Ember
don't you feel so scared sometimes?

Post by The Ghost of Ember (?) » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:57 pm

Latest episode is much closer to my experience with DnD than I've seen with previous episodes. Good idea? Dice rolls bad. Mighty Nein was getting to almost Waffle Crew territory in terms of bad luck with rolls.
RIP Syndrome wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:56 pm
this universe is cursed

Angry Critter

Post by Angry Critter (?) » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:42 pm

Honestly though their first heist was... Well... Good rolls would have helped, but it was very lousy from the get-go. :P All the more funny, though.

Angry Critter

Post by Angry Critter (?) » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:15 pm

AAAAAAAAAAAA :D