Original Comic Art! Back when you had to use paper to draw

Come on in, come to the place where fun never ends. (Shenanigans!)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Original Comic Art! Back when you had to use paper to draw

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:36 am

I figure this is something worth doing a thread about. So yeah, a thread about original drawings I have for comics and such!

Original Art?
So before drawing tablets became common among artists, you had to actually draw on paper. A lot of comics were typically drawn on Bristol Boards, a thick paper that can not only take most of the ink, but it can handle being touched a lot, because back then cartoonists actually had to mail the original art to their syndicates or publishers. They would typically correct spelling/grammar errors directly on the original, using white-out or pasting over another sheet of paper over it, add copyright stickers, then reproduce before sending the originals back to the creator.

Cartoonists would keep most of them but from time to time they would sell or give out originals to people, usually to other cartoonists gifts or part of a trade.

I myself have collected/obtained original arts since high-school, but in recent years I've became more serious about collecting them. Like look at my walls:

Those are just SOME of it. I have more walls covered in this stuff, and it's actually getting harder to find space on the wall for newer acquisitions. :-I

As one can expect, more and more comics are done on tablet today, but there are still plenty of cartoonists who draw of paper (myself included) today. I have originals dating back to the 1960s, but I also have a few contemporary ones.

A bunch of comic arts I bought, but there are few that were given to me by other cartoonists, either as gifts or because we traded art with each-other's works. For this thread, I'm going to talk about some of my newer acquisitions, how I got it, and the specs on the art (size, type of paper, etc.).

To start with, here are some of the originals I have:

This is from a comic called "At the Zu", which ran 1995-1998, about a zoo where all the animals act like office workers. This is actually the first ever original art I ever purchased, so it holds a special place in my heart. The original is drawn on what appears to be a sketchbook paper, about 4x13" big. The panel borders are interesting because they used some type of architect's tape, rather than actually using a pen.

This is the oldest original I own. "Eek & Meek" ran from 1965 to 2000, a slice-of-life strip about two guys. This original is from 1967. What's notable about this strip is that, when it began, the characters were mice (as shown above), but as the strip ran, the characters began developing human features before they became completely human in the 1980s, where they remained until the end.

The creator said he changed the species because he realized there was no reason for the character to be mice. Personally, I preferred the mice version, and I bought the strip because I'm a fan of the comic and it's hard to find originals from back when they were still mice.

It's a pretty big piece, drawn on approx 6x18" Bristol board. Aside from some stains, the original is in pretty good shape even after all these years.

Here's something that's relevant to this forum. This is from the MLP Guardians of Harmony annual, drawn by Andy Price. I bought this directly from him at C2E2 in Chicago in 2018. The cost of Andy's originals depend on which characters are in it, but this one was only $100 despite having Twilight, Spike, Lyra, and Bon-Bon.

I think it's because, unlike a typical comic page Andy does, he "penciled" this comic digitally using a tablet rather than using real blue pencil, which he then printed onto a 11x17 Bristol board for him to ink traditionally (I use this method on my webcomics myself, abet with cardstock instead of Bristol). Andy explained to me that he didn't like working digital much, so he went back to penciling traditionally after this comic.

Since this is partially digital, technically, he probably felt he should charge less for it. Either way, though, it's a beautiful piece.

Here's a comic page that's all drawn on paper, although when I compared to the printed version, I noticed he made corrections on Photoshop. This is a page from "Bodie Troll", a comic that Jay Fosgitt does. I've been a fan of Fosgitt's work for ages, and I knew I had to buy an original from him. I got this at Bronycon last year for $150, I think? It was the lowest priced original I could find, hence why I picked this :-I

Drawn on 11x17 Bristol.

This is my BIGGEST original. This Sunday strip is 25" wide, and I had to order a custom frame for it because local stores didn't have any this big.

Over the years I've become friends with John Hambrock, who does "Edison Lee". He's been supportive of my career, so it was nice of him to send me this "Edison Lee" original out of the blue back in 2007-08. I later returned the favor last year by giving him an "Ask a Cat" original (which is a puny 8.5x14" by comparison).

This "Retail" strip is special to my heart, because I made a guest appearance in it. At the time I was in just about every comics message board that was around, and Norm Feuti noticed, hence this joke. Another large original, measuring 9.4x24". The dialogues were typed on computer then pasted onto the art.

This is my most recent acquisition. Virgil Partch was a cartoonist known for VERY weird and bizarre cartoons (he was also a Disney writer at one point, credited in at least one Donald Duck cartoon), although by the time he did "Big George" he was toning down his weirdness.

This panel had some bizarre elements, though. One stylistic choice ViP did was giving people about 6 or more fingers. Notice that the woman walking by has 6 fingers.

This is drawn on what appears to be a 8.5x11 typing paper, hence why it's yellowed. In spite of that, it's in pretty good shape. Bought on eBay for $50.

So yeah, there you go. I'll likely share more art that I have, as well as posting about any new pieces I acquire. If you have any originals you have, whether a comic art or even convention sketch, feel free to share them here!

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Re: Original Comic Art! Back when you had to use paper to draw

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:31 pm

And I got some new acquisitions to share!

Jimmy Johnson recently did a "summer sale" of original art for "Arlo and Janis", and I knew I had to get one. And they were going QUICK, too. About half of the original arts he had up were already sold, when I browsed through (by the time the sale ended, I think there were only 4-5 originals left).

I decided to purchase the "five second rule" comic because I'm basically Arlo in that :-I

Jimmy apparently reads "Ask a Cat" (our strips are both on GoComics.com), so he sent me a bonus "cat" comic with the shipment, which was nice! Might send him something in return for that.

Both are drawn on approx 5.5x14.5" Bristol board.

As for that Christmas comic, here's how it was published:

Note that he added the white text digitally using a font he made from the handwriting (the rest of the words are hand-written on the original). Also, looking at the original closely, it did originally have that cross-hatching in the 2nd panel, but he inked it over sometime after he delivered the strip to his editors.

PonyHag714
Here comes the helmet!

Post by PonyHag714 (?) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:26 pm

I see you have some Ant and Aardvark art on your wall. Very cool (along with everything else.) :allears:

I should mention that I like your Marigold and Kat avatar.
Image ("Don't try to reform me, Hag, because I'm made of cold stone.")

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:46 pm

PonyHag714 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:26 pm
I see you have some Ant and Aardvark art on your wall. Very cool (along with everything else.) :allears:
Yeah, from "Technology, Phooey"! (the background is a reproduction)

PonyHag714 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:26 pm
I should mention that I like your Marigold and Kat avatar.
Dana drew that for me when we met at the National Cartoonists Society convention last May! I have that framed on my wall.

I have a bunch of art featuring my characters that other cartoonists drew for me. Gonna compile them for future post.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:21 pm

These are some of the art featuring my characters that other cartoonists drew for me:

While attending the Reubens at Philadelphia in 2018 I took part in a group signing with a bunch of cartoonists. I was sitting across the hall from Greg Evans, creator of "Luann", along with his daughter Karen, who has been slowly taking over the strip.

I did a drawing of Puddles (Luann's dog) chewing on Cat's tail and gave it to Greg, who seemed to have liked it. Seemingly as part of a training for Karen to draw his characters on-model, she redrew the drawing I did in the strip's style and gave it to me, with both of them signing.

Drawn on 8.5x11" copy paper.

I'm part of Cartoon Loonacy and occasionally get drawings from other members, including Brian Buniak, who sent me this postcard drawing featuring two of my cat characters named Katrina (one from "Fuzzy Princess", another from "A Witch Named Koko"), as well as Jordan from "Fuzzy".

Buniak tells me that Jordan is his favorite character of mine.

For the final issue of my "A Witch Named Koko" mini-comic series, I asked other cartoonists I know to do their own version of Koko for me to include in the mini. I got a few submissions which I included in the mini, among them from George Erling, who sent me the original art for it.

I raised the contrast a bit so you can see the inscription he left for me in blue pencil. Drawn on approx 5.5"x8.4" Bristol board.

A drawing of Princess Kat from my comic "The Fuzzy Princess" that I commissioned Jay Fosgitt to draw at C2E2 convention in Chicago, 2018. Drawn on 5x7" illustration board.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:49 pm

"Broom-Hilda" is turning 50 next year, so I sent this drawing to Russell Myers congratulating him:

Today, he sent me this in response:

:allears:

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:22 pm

So few years ago, I got in contact with Dave Sokoloff, who did a strip in 1972-74 called "Griff and the Unicorn". About 3 years ago, I got an email from his agent offering me originals for his strip.

Well, all of a sudden I remembered getting that email last month. I called the number they gave me, and thankfully he remembered me and said he was still willing to sell me some strips. He sent me a mail with copies of strips he still had. I decided to get two. The originals just came today:

The originals are big, about 6x17". The copyright label is coming off (one came off entirely at some point) but in great condition otherwise. The ink he used is really good because it's still crisp and black after nearly 50 years.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:57 pm

Newest original to my collection: "The Smith Family" by George and Virginia Smith. May 25, year unknown. Approx 5.75x16.5" big. Lovely art on the strip!

It looks like the strip was drawn on two papers, then taped together in the middle. All of the "Smith Family" originals I can find was done that way.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:29 pm

Just got back from Memphis and saw that this arrived while I was away. An original for "The Fusco Brothers" daily by JC Duffy! He's been selling his originals on eBay, so I had to snag one of them up.

Art measures 3.75x13" on 5x14" Bristol. Dated August 10, 1991.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:02 pm

I don't have very many originals for webcomics, since many of them are done directly on digital, but here's one of the few I own:

Original for "Sheldon" from October 19, 2002, done by Dave Kellett. Drawn on approx 5.4x14" vellum Bristol board.

Dave sent it to me when I was still in Japan. He was trying to get his books distributed in Japan and asked if I can give him info on Japanese distributors the next time I went to a bookstore, which I did.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:24 pm

I try to get hold of original art of Joshua Wright, the man who makes the Slackwyrm webcomic. But whenever I receive the Patreon notification that one of his drawing is up for sale it's already gone.
Very frustrating because last Saturday's art I really wanted upon first sight.
https://joshuawrightart.bigcartel.com/p ... al-pen-ink
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:49 pm

Ooo, that comic looks neat! Yeah, hope you can get something from him.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:13 pm

Got another webcomic original for my collection: "Bug Martini", which just celebrated its 10th anniversary last month!

This is the very second strip posted, so it's neat to have. Drawn on 5.5x14" Bristol; art itself measures 4x13".

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:17 pm

The only original art I own is the doodle of your cat princess you put on my secret celestia postcard
ImageImageImageImage

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:32 pm

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:17 pm
The only original art I own is the doodle of your cat princess you put on my secret celestia postcard
Incidentally, if anyone ever wants to get an original of my stuff, feel free to contact me. Not everything is available, but can't hurt to ask!

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:54 pm

Somebody in this forum (I forget who) introduced me to "The Amazing Cynicalman" years ago, which I'm grateful for because these comics are great.

I ran into creator Matt Feazell a couple of times in conventions, where I bought both paperback books and even a couple of original arts. Each original came with pencil sketches he did on tracing paper:

These are probably the smallest originals I own, each drawn on 7x11" Bristol board.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:03 pm

I got a couple of original arts in the mail today:

"The Fusco Brothers" Sunday strip by J.C. Duffy, from 1997. Duffy's been selling his original art on eBay lately, and I managed to snag this one cheap ($10).

Approx. 15.75" x 8.75" big on Bristol. Duffy wrote this in his description for this strip: One oddity I just noticed about this strip is that I had a slightly different spelling of Al's psychiatrist's name back then; "Kaputchnik" (it's been "Kapuchnik" for as long as I can remember). Also, the doctor had a much thicker neck back then.

Chapter 3 cover for "The Tale of Jasper Gold" webcomic by Jamil Gonzalez.

I've been in touch with him lately (even multistreamed with him a few times), so we exchanged original arts. I asked for this art, and he requested an "Ask a Cat" strip.

Drawn on 11x17" Bristol Board.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:18 pm

Newest addition! An original for "Breaking Cat News"! I did a trade with the artist, where I sent her an "Ask a Cat" original in exchange.

This is, without a doubt, the smallest original art I've ever seen. Depending on your browser, what you see above is almost exactly the right size, or BIGGER.