Movies Thread 2: The Movieing.

Good posts, good friends. (General Offtopic)
Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Movies Thread 2: The Movieing.

Post by Kronos (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:55 am

I'd say I was surprised this one hadn't been remade yet, but then I remembered what weak year this has been :-I

Anyway, gonna see Thor 3 today. :twience:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Re: Movies Thread 2: The Movieing.

Post by Adiwan (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:49 pm

I was in a midnight screening of Thor Ragnarok with my friends (the damn cinema didn't offer an earlier screening) and it was a blast despite being deprived of sleep. Great jokes, great villain, mostly good action, some awful effects, only a few questionable acting scenes, but they were not hurting the film in general. Maybe they could be seen as an aspect of the purposely campy mood of the film. It's worlds better than the first two Thor movies with even more charm.
I was thoroughly entertained and didn't miss my lack of sleep that much.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:26 pm

Adiwan wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:49 pm
I was in a midnight screening of Thor Ragnarok with my friends (the damn cinema didn't offer an earlier screening) and it was a blast despite being deprived of sleep. Great jokes, great villain, mostly good action, some awful effects, only a few questionable acting scenes, but they were not hurting the film in general. Maybe they could be seen as an aspect of the purposely campy mood of the film. It's worlds better than the first two Thor movies with even more charm.
I was thoroughly entertained and didn't miss my lack of sleep that much.
Just got back - by far the best Thor film, no question. The only reason you would even need to see the first two films is to get the context of what's going on at the beginning of this film.

I mean, if you think about it, this story is actually pretty damn grim with what happens, but it's moving at such a brisk pace that all it does is really set up the villain and you're back at the GOTG style humor.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:30 pm

Saw Thor, it was good. I haven't really watched any of the other Avenger-ish films, so I'm glad this one didn't rely heavily on knowing everything about comic books.

Angel Beat
~ Space, the final frontier. ~
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Angel Beat (?) » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:39 pm

I watched Thor Ragnarok today. Cate Blanchett makes for a hell of a villain. :vogue:
New signature pending.

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:58 am

I watched Coco tonight...

:saddershy:

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:40 pm

deleted.
Last edited by Applepie2017 on Fri May 04, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But...
This one's too young

Auxiliatrix

Post by Auxiliatrix (?) » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:49 pm

Applepie2017 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:40 pm
I watched Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine, Oliver Stone's Natural Born Killers and Oliver Stone's Alexander
We were shown "The Brief History of the United States of America" scene from Bowling for Columbine in school. Maybe I'm not as used to that sort of stuff as other people, but I thought it was absolutely insane (in a good way).

I saw Darkest Hour recently. It was fine, I suppose. It's another in a long list of "historical-drama" films like it, but even then I don't think it was quite as good as something like, say, The Imitation Game. :pinkieshrug:

Life in one image. Interpret as you wish.

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:40 am

deleted.
Last edited by Applepie2017 on Fri May 04, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But...
This one's too young

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:10 am

Auxiliatrix wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:49 pm
We were shown "The Brief History of the United States of America" scene from Bowling for Columbine in school. Maybe I'm not as used to that sort of stuff as other people, but I thought it was absolutely insane (in a good way).
Only thing I know about that "Brief History" scene is that a lot of people mistook that as a work of Trey Parker and Matt Stone, largely because it ran right after Matt Stone's interview in the movie. This really annoyed them, and may have been a factor in them getting potshots on Michael Moore in "Team America".

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:17 pm

deleted.
Last edited by Applepie2017 on Fri May 04, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But...
This one's too young

Auxiliatrix

Post by Auxiliatrix (?) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:37 pm

Mr. Big wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:10 am
Only thing I know about that "Brief History" scene is that a lot of people mistook that as a work of Trey Parker and Matt Stone, largely because it ran right after Matt Stone's interview in the movie. This really annoyed them, and may have been a factor in them getting potshots on Michael Moore in "Team America".
Well, I mean it makes sense. Isn't Matt Stone in the film?

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:57 pm

Auxiliatrix wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:37 pm
Well, I mean it makes sense. Isn't Matt Stone in the film?
Uh, yeah? I said it in that post that Matt Stone was interviewed :-I

Auxiliatrix

Post by Auxiliatrix (?) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:47 pm

Mr. Big wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:57 pm
Uh, yeah? I said it in that post that Matt Stone was interviewed :-I
Oh. Whoops. :flutterunsmith:

I mean, the style is pretty similar. I can't blame people for thinking there was a correlation.

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:24 pm

deleted.
Last edited by Applepie2017 on Fri May 04, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But...
This one's too young

Blarghalt
Gaze into the Abyss, until the Abyss awkwardly comes up with a reason to leave.
Patreon platinum

Post by Blarghalt (?) » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:44 am

Saw Black Panther. Goddamn, believe the hype.

Whoever did the costumes for this movie, whatever they were paid wasn't enough. Really amazing movie from top to bottom.

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:02 pm

deleted.
Last edited by Applepie2017 on Fri May 04, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But...
This one's too young

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:29 am

Blarghalt wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:44 am
Saw Black Panther. Goddamn, believe the hype.

Whoever did the costumes for this movie, whatever they were paid wasn't enough. Really amazing movie from top to bottom.
Black Panther is a hell of a lot of fun. Someone took me to see it and I loved it. Shuri and Okoye are the best.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:17 am

Black Panther is fantastic all around. I'm hungry for more movies that are this unashamedly black and celebrate black people and black culture whereever possible. Considering Black Panther still had to please the suits at Marvel and Disney, I'm very positively surprised it accomplished as much as it did. Aside from hammering home the racism and classism message harder and less crowd please-y, which I would have liked so even the biggest ignoramuses get the hint, I have to say it really did all I would have hoped for from a popcorn action flick. More awesome heroes of color who just get to do their thing, please.
Image /// Image /// Image

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:05 am

Perrydotto wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:17 am
Black Panther is fantastic all around. I'm hungry for more movies that are this unashamedly black and celebrate black people and black culture whereever possible. Considering Black Panther still had to please the suits at Marvel and Disney, I'm very positively surprised it accomplished as much as it did. Aside from hammering home the racism and classism message harder and less crowd please-y, which I would have liked so even the biggest ignoramuses get the hint, I have to say it really did all I would have hoped for from a popcorn action flick. More awesome heroes of color who just get to do their thing, please.
Oh, yes, so much this. I really want to see it again sometime. I keep thinking about a lot of the small details they managed to get into the movie and it impressed me how Coogler & his cast and crew managed to pack so much meaningful stuff into a superhero action story. In fact, it means more that it was in a superhero movie, because way more kids are going to see this movie than a family drama or a comedy, and now they’ve got heroes too.

Also, I kind of want at least a short of M’Baku just trolling everybody who comes to him for a day or something, because he was great, too

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:11 am

Black Panther was good but I think that the film is a teeny-weeny too much hyped by the public.
I fully respect the fact of the predominantly dark-skinned cast but aside from that, just judging it as a film, it was just good and enjoyable.
As a Marvel film it's definitely somewhere at the top.

It can still not hold up to another film with a fictitious African country: "Welcome to America", which is one of my top favorite films of all time.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:19 am

It wouldn't be something the public felt the need to "hype" if that sort of movie was more commonplace made by, with and for black people. At the point we are at, though, it's something that means a lot to them because of the sad fact they are getting it so rarely. I wouldn't call that anything like "overrated" because regardless of whether it's the best movie ever or not, the meaning it holds to folks adds to the enjoyment they got out of it.
Image /// Image /// Image

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:16 pm

deleted.
Last edited by Applepie2017 on Fri May 04, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But...
This one's too young

PhoolCat
EE
HECKING
YUP

Post by PhoolCat (?) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:32 pm

Kailash (2018) :cry:
Pacific Rim: Uprising (2018) :rage:
Image Image Image Image

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:35 am

deleted.
Last edited by Applepie2017 on Fri May 04, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But...
This one's too young

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:54 pm

Ironically, at my showing of “A Quiet Place” there were some assholes in the back row who wouldn’t shut the fuck up.

Great movie though, really tense.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:14 pm

RLM were really glad they went to see it late at night on a weekday so they could have the whole theater to themselves.

Angel Beat
~ Space, the final frontier. ~
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Angel Beat (?) » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:11 pm

Avengers: Infinity War

Holly hell, I was not ready for this.
New signature pending.

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:00 am

Infinity War was pretty awesome. Thanos was fantastic, and I thought they would screw him up. So much was packed into only 2.5 hours, but, for the most part, everyone got some great moments.

:sweetielarm: MASSIVE MASSIVE SPOILERS :sweetielarm:
I'm mixed about the post-Snap results. I get that they are intentionally setting up part 4 to be a grand finale with all the Phase 1 heroes, but not having any of them die seems a bit of a cop out. Similarly killing all of the new-crew heroes ruined some of the tension, because you know it's not going to stick. They're not offing Black Panther and Spider-Man this soon.

That being said, that Tom Hollad death scene. :cry:

I do think everyone who died before the snap is gone for good, even Gamora.

That Red Skull cameo. I saw people joking about it for months, so I assume something leaked, but I never thought they were being serious.

I hope Cap gets some better moments in the next film. His parts in this were great, but he's my favorite thing about the MCU, and I just donm't think he got his due in this one.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:22 am

I think that Infinity War was just fine.
It suffered from the same shaky and incompetent camera usage and some heavy plot holes that may lower one's enjoyment when you think too much about them. A friend of mine hates the movie because of the plot holes and the camera giving him a headache.
I didn't mind the plot holes that much because of the drama.

I'd give it a rating of 5/10. Just average despite of some sweet moments.
Thanos doesn't know how people procreate. Exponential groth you fool! Killing off half of the population will only delay the problem. This is why you should go to school and learn math.

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:26 am

:rainbert: Just found out one of the cameo's wasn't played by the original actor/actress and that makes the cameo not nearly as cool for me.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:47 am

Me too. As I heard the character's voice I was somewhat disappointed by the strange voice and I was later even more disappointed when I saw the actor's name.

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:54 am

deleted.
But...
This one's too young

Kronos
THE PEGASIS RISES AGAIN!
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Kronos (?) » Sat May 05, 2018 10:49 am

Yesterday was May the 4th (be with you) and so I figured what the hell, might as well watch The Last Jedi.

5/10

The entire plot is just the longest, most drawn out, most BORING car chase in space. And the actual endgame wouldn't even happen if it wasn't for plot-convinient non-communication from one character (who just spouts bullshit instead of straight up answering the repeated question outright) and then the entire subplot which only happens to KEEP this glacially paced chase going until the end of the film. The stuff with Rey and Luke was probably the best part of the film and the rest just felt like filler to make that stuff last...until maybe the halfway point when even THAT doesn't matter as much.

Ep 1 (The Phantom Menace) is maligned often because it's more polticial drama than laser sword wielding monks fighting evil and big space fighter battles, but at least it had Podracing and an epic final battle against Darth Maul. All I can really say about TLJ is that its opening was great but beyond that Mark Hamil being a sassy jackass and one flashy fight scene were the only highlights of the film.

EDIT: Okay, I have to mention the steam iron visual gag. It's extremely well done and even if you don't get what it's an homage to, you'll still find it hilarious.

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Thu May 10, 2018 10:09 am

deleted
But...
This one's too young