Bam! Wham! Pow!: The Comics Thread Issue #2

Good posts, good friends. (General Offtopic)
Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Re: Bam! Wham! Pow!: The Comics Thread Issue #2

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:13 am

Boom Studios
- The Amazing World of Gumball Grab-Bag Special 2018: Truly a grab bag of vastly varying quality of fiction.
Rating: 5/10

- Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers Vol. 2 Slippin' Through The Cracks: Weak story about a sleazy rival of the Rescue Rangers, the Danger Rangers, but their objective was to kidnap Gadget so another mouse inventor called Glitch can have some "revenge"? In the end Gadget offers her an apprenticeship. Very fan-fictiony. No wonder the series ended with this arc.

- Regular Show 25 Years Later #3: Turly a royal pain to educate a royal brat.
Rating: 6/10

- Ruinworld #3: Cannibalism is funny... It continues to be a delight.
Rating: 9/10

- Welcome to Wanderland #1 of 4: Bel is obsessed with the amusement park and finds one day a hidden door to the magical world of Wanderland. Bel's brother is playing a princess in the amusement park of Wanderland. Anyway, that's odd.

IDW
- DuckTales #11: Sufficiently good, although there is quite some things that contradict the show in a heavy way when it comes to Scrooge's Scottish heritage.

- Outpost Zero: A bit too much secret keeping and not knowing.

Marvel
- Marvel Rising Omega #1: At the end of all of this weird naming and numbering of this series a lot of "stuff" happens. Literally stuff just to fill out the pages with video game references and lots of action, boring action. It was fine but a lot of the charme of the previous issues has been lost entirely.

On a completely tangential note:
Why do US book sellers on Amazon send their books in these weird garbage bag shrink-wrappings? They do not protect these books against any damages.
These are cheap for sure but given that I have been always refunded every time I got a damaged book (which was every time) they lose more money than it's worth.
At least I got the book for free.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Yuudachi
I'll show you the Nightmare of Solomon!

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:56 pm

I read too many books and not enough time to write about them!

Marvel
- Black Panther is a disappointment. It's a futuristic galatic empire space opera with elements of Black Panther mythos shoehorned into it.
- Gail Simone makes a reference to Applejack in the Domino annual.
- Amazing Spider-Man has actually been good, well, the main series -- the annual tried to give backstory to the symbiote, but not sure it worked.
- X-Men Red: Weaponizing internet trolling.
- I really don't like Punisher cross paths with the heroes, it kinda kills it.
- Extermination is kinda okay?
- Moon Knight was kinda bad? Too pretentious at least.
- Infinity Wars is still trash, but the Infinity Warps is somewhat decent, tho it's just a play on the old Amalgam stories.
- Namor enters the fray in Avengers
- Captain America annual has a nice one-shot set in WW2.
- Mr. and Mrs. X continues to be charming and the kind of comic you want out of Gambit and Rogue
- Same with West Coast Avengers.
- Not a real fan of the far future stories in Thor (at least other than the GodBomb/GodButcher stories)... I mean, I'd like it more if it wasn't for something as stupid as Wolverine with the Phoenix Force.
- Doctor Strange with a nice twist at the end there.
- Immortal Hulk being a weird mix of horror drama psychological thriller.
- Return of Wolverine was dumb

DC
- The Flash is a lot of ebbs and flows as of lately, wish it was more stable.
- Batgirl has been great under Scott
- Action Comics appear to take a stumble in the latest issue, but it was fun to see Batman in it.
- I like that Detective Comics appear to be again about doing Detective stuff.
- I like Wondie and Artemis being bash sisters.
- Not sure how I feel about Justice League Odyssey or Justice League Dark for that matter.
- Not sure how I feel about the main Justice League book for that matter, but it is better than the rest.
- DC loves penises! We get blue dong in Doomsday Clock, as the plot finally starts to advance/
- We also get Lil' Wayne in Batman Damned (BTW, he's circumcised and appears to be 5.3'' flaccid)
- Books with Titans on its title are completely derailed. I'd avoid them
- Heroes in Crisis was... both good and bad. Seems like a trend with King as of recent.
- Speaking of King. Batman has Nightwing shot, which actually led to the writer of Nightwing leaving the book as he had his own plans for the character and that got derailed by a different writer/book.
- And yet, Mister Miracle is still a great book!
- As for the Nightwing writer leaving the book? Maybe that's for the best, the book kinda sucks anyways.
- Aquaman ends with Mera and Amanda making peace, or at least, a truce.
- Still fun to see He-Man and other characters from that universe interact with the DC characters, even if its the Injustice universe.

Indies
- Lost Light is full of gay robots and sacrifice, and that's ok
- Beasts of Burden is too confusing at this point, because they've decided to focus on completely different characters than the original series.
- Usagi Yojimbo continues to have a great mystery in The Hidden
- Britannia Lost Eagles of Rome is also another great mystery in the past.
- Kinda feel bad that Quantum and Woody are ending, again.
SOLOMON!! I have returned!!!

Yuudachi
I'll show you the Nightmare of Solomon!

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:43 pm

Marvel
- Domino continues to be super charming.
- Avengers feels like a regression regarding Namor
- Captain America continues to resonate politically
- Infinity Wars continues to be trash
- Immortal Hulk continues to be a great horror comic.
- X-23 was really good with the cuckoos
- What Ifs are What Ifs -- mixed bags.
- Spider-Geddon proper is Inheritor wankfest and cruel to readers
- Ms. Marvel is also charming!
- Amazing Spider-Man is weirdly good
- Doctor Strange took a weird road, but it's good
- Asgardians of the Galaxy is weird, but good

DC
- Cursed Comics Cavalcade is the usual anthology comic: a mixed bag -- but at least it has Zatanna in her usual outfit, fishnets included, so that's a plus in my book
- Plastic Man loses a bit of its charm late into the game, here's to hope it can finish strong.
- Catwoman brings back a bunch of stuff into canon.
- Red Hood and Green Arrow touch on Roy Harper's death
- Wonder Woman and Justice League Dark decide to do a crossover, in which Diana has witch powers.
- Flash is good, but you have to accept a lot of DC bullshit.
- Superman is bad...
- Detective Comics is good tho
- Batman/The Maxx is a weird crossover -- brings back Nostalgia from when I used to watch that show on MTV
- Adventures of the Super Son is so good it actually pisses me off that Bendis took Jon off the chessboard
- Green Lantern is winding down before its big relaunch under Grant Morrison
- Batman is hunting down KGBeast
- And Justice League was super weird...
- Wonder where the Nightwing book will head to now.

Indies
- Shadow Roads continues to be a worthy Sixth Gun sequel
- Jughead is excellent (still upset about Afterlife with Archie and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina basically on permanent break)
- Transformers Unicron... is somewhat of a mess.
- Giant Days helped me learn a super weird euphemism for having sex.
SOLOMON!! I have returned!!!

Applepie2017
Nostalgia nerd

Post by Applepie2017 (?) » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:59 am

Adiwan wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:13 am
Boom Studios- Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers Vol. 2 Slippin' Through The Cracks: Weak story about a sleazy rival of the Rescue Rangers, the Danger Rangers, but their objective was to kidnap Gadget so another mouse inventor called Glitch can have some "revenge"? In the end Gadget offers her an apprenticeship. Very fan-fictiony. No wonder the series ended with this arc.
I used to be on the Acorn Cafe.
But...
This one's too young

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:49 am

Oh man I feel so bad neglecting this thread. I have a huuuuuge backlog of comics that I didn't read because I'm moving.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams