Bam! Wham! Pow!: The Comics Thread Issue #2

Good posts, good friends. (General Offtopic)
Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Re: Bam! Wham! Pow!: The Comics Thread Issue #2

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:55 pm

Boom Studios
- Steven Universe #11: Little bit predictable plot because of a lot of foreshadowing but still enjoyable.
Rating: 6/10

DC
- Exit Stage Left The Snagglepuss Chronicles #1: What a mouthful of a title but Mark Russel is back. The art is OK and the story is not as a hard hitter as The Flinstones was, however I think it'll feature more of an arc and buildup.
Rating: 7/10

IDW
- MLP Legends of Magic #9: Meadowbrook kicks ass again. She has a big assortment of deadly potions and she can deal easily with buff bunnies. What else not to like here?
Rating: 8/10

- MLP Holiday Special 2017: More Windy the Windigo please. A comic about commercial exploitism of a holiday, promoting selfawarely said exploit.

- Quantum Jack #3: It's like Pacific Rim.
Rating: 5/10

- Curse Words Holiday Special: The whole world is crazy.

- Rat Queens #7: Part-time good, part-time gross, part-time unexplained panel skips. Very dream-like and hazy. Maybe it was intentional.

- Paper Girls #19: Now they have encountered the last of their future selves. Kinda barfy greeting.

Marvel
- Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #27: This is going to be a nutty space adventure!

- Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #28: A bit too much Loki.

- Ms Marvel #25: Fake Ms Marvel.

- Ms Marvel #26: I get that they want to show more of the supporting cast but that clearly doesn't work. They want to replace Kamala for a while and thus none of the supporting cast gets a proper scene.

Marvel Star Wars
- Star Wars The Storms of Crait: The rebels came to Crait to see if they can build a base there, they were betrayed (expected), Scar Squad was kicked in the ass by the rebels, and then they went to Hoth.

- Star Wars #40 + #41: On paper a lot happened but the story didn't grab me this time and I skimmed more over the pages than I actually read.

- Darth Vader #10: Jocasta Nu being badass until the end (although being stupid attacking the inquisitor in the first place).

- Doctor Aphra #15: A colourful set of mercenaries are assembled by Triple-Zero and he is torturing Aphra with making hard moral decisions.

- Mace Windu #5: The discussion about the Jedi's hubris was neat but all in all the whole mini-series is garbage.
Rating: 4/10

- Poe Dameron #22: As the great Hannibal once said: I like it when a plan comes together.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Yuudachi
I'll show you the Nightmare of Solomon!

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:18 pm

I keep running out of time, Heck, I havent even finished last week's comics and it's almost time for new comics!

Just suffice to say that most comics I read are at least good
SOLOMON!! I have returned!!!

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:10 am

I have a trade paperback on my shelf to read. It's there since Christmas and I've managed to get through the first 10 pages.
When I come back from work I'm usually exhausted and when I read comics I read first through all the ones I ordered.
Maybe I should start bringing my comics to work so I can read them in my break.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:56 am

I do take my comics to work (since they're in my ipad) :V

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:15 pm

So... Again... weird rushed comics commentary

DC comics are starting to slip, I think they're believing their own hype too much -- At least Batman remains solid

Marvel comics are trending upwards, guess once you reach rock bottom the only way is up -- X-Men Red was a pleasant surprise, Avengers No Surrender is better than I expected. Spider-Man sucks tho -- but still Marvel comics are better overall as of recent

Transformers manage to break my heart, well, at least Lost Light does -- The rest suck, in particular Transformers vs Visionaries -- and the only good GIJoe comic is the Larry Hama one.

I've stopped caring for most Image books -- they're really just vehicles to get rights optioned for film.

Valiant comics continue to be very solid. Quantum and Woody is a gem -- its a shame the comic was just sold recently after an option was exercised -- Feel its gonna be what happened to Valiant two decades ago. =/

Kaijumax Season 3 just concluded and it was amazing -- Not enough people read this awesome book.

Giant Days also doesn't get enough love... and Boom's MMPR is also super solid.

Oh, and Saga of Tanya the Evil is now officially being published in English, and it's super good, (as good as a story about a pscyho nazi WW1 Magic German loli can be -- which is actually really good actually)

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:58 pm

Alterna
- Doppelgänger #2: It's good but yet again the print quality is abyssmal. The doppelgänger improves the work life by posting a bunch of personal information of his superior to everyone.

Boom Studios
- Adventure Time OGN 11 Princess and Princess: Rock-solid adventure. The rock kingdom needs help and Finn has to be the princess.

- Adventure Time Comics #19: The terrifying look of Bananaman looking in the backmirror when death is on his heels.

- Adventure Time #72: The story moves slower than anticipated.

- Adventure Time x Regular Show #6: This crossover sucks. What a disappointment.

- Steven Universe #12: Connie is stressed out and Steven plans a slumber party, which Pearl sabotages with her pedantic scheduling.

Comico
- Sam & Max Freelance Police Special (1989): Hilarious! I was on ebay and dug through the listings from a seller I occasionally bought from in the past. Sam & Max are on a big road trip through the states. Maybe I get more Sam & Max into my life.

Dark Horse
- The Legend of Korra Turf Wars Part Two: Zhu Li Moon for president! The political stuff is more interesting than the gangs. Also Zhu Li's and Varrick have better chemistry than Korra and Asami, just saying.

DC
- Snagglepuss #2: Laid down a bit to thick. Not extreme enough to be satirical, not subtle enough to be nuanced.

IDW
- Back to the Future Tales from the Time Train #2: Of course Nazis want to kidnap Doc because they think he's Einstein.

- DuckTales #5: Donald's perfume kills.

- Jem & The Holograms Dimensions #3: The first story with helping a young teen band was good but the haunted mansion ghost hunters bit was utter crap.

- MLP Friendship is Magic #62: Instant diplomatic defeat my Celestia, transparent stupid evil by a Griffon lord, chaotic action scene. At least the cover is rad (both cover A and B).

- MLP Legends of Magic #10: Somnambula joins the team! Also Meadowbrook is yet again the best by being diplomatic and being equipped with every potion.

- Black Magick #10: Creepy little children

- I Hate Fairyland #16: Cosmic soft reboot?

- Paper Girls #20: Giant mecha obtained.

- Snotgirl #9: Suddenly ghosts!?!?!?

Oni Press
- The Damned #8: Eddie's back from the dead. It was a heck of an effort.

- Rick & Morty #34: The origin of Krombopulos Michael. Mostly disappointing.

Star Wars IDW
- Forces of Destiny - Leia: On Echo Base Leia rides on a Tauntaun to go to repair the shield generator. I'm disappointed by the lack of Tauntaun innards.

- Forces of Destiny - Rey: A scavenging adventure with Rey and BB-8. It's supposed to take place on Yakku during the film. This comic felt like it lacked a message or an arc.

Star Wars Marvel
- DJ Most Wanted: As unremarkable as his appearance in The Last Jedi.

- Doctor Aphra #16: Lesbian kiss!

- Poe Dameron #23: Engaging air fight and Terrex is in control again!

- Star Wars #42 + #43: Mediocre plot combined with traced faces. This is as disjointed as the broken moon of Jedha.

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:01 am

DC

- The latest arc of Batman has been interesting. Poison Ivy is again a villain (much to the chagrin of Ivy fans). It's ok, even if I feel Catwoman feels op by taking all 3 Flashes by herself.

- Detective Comics has also been great, since the fall of the Batmen... it's interesting to see Kate go full-on fascist.

- Superman comics tackled god and belief and willing to die for your faith -- it was an interesting take to say the least. Action Comics had to deal with time travel shenanigans.

- Green Lanterns has a dating app turned evil, it's better than it sounds, and I like that Jessica might be bisexual.

- Hal Jordan has been solid, with General Zod making a return, and making him the bad guy of the arc.

- Green Arrow ended his run on a high note.

- The Flash has been interesting with Grodd being the big bad of the arc, although I think Barry has been super stupid this arc as well

- Nightwing has been super solid, but kinda sad that Humphries is only doing this story before Percy takes over, but Percy did Green Arrow so it's gonna continue to be good.

- Aquaman's war for Atlantis has been super solid, but the Mera mini? Not so much.

- Unsure how to feel about Wonder Woman, tbh

- Justice League of America has been terrible. Justice League is barely decent. Milk Wars was meh.

- Snagglepuss has been ok at best, and the art is wanting... big time.

- Black Lightning continues to be a good comic that touches on contemporary issues.

- Batman White Knight has been super solid, but again, it's an elseworld title.

- New Age of Heroes titles are pretty much DoA... =(

Marvel
- Avengers No Surrender has been the best Avengers in a long time.

- Infinity Countdown is gonna be the event that gives us Marvel Fresh Start... not sure how this will pan out.

- Doctor Strange: Damnation... basically trying to do something about Nick Spencer microwaving Las Vegas... and it's... kinda decent?

- That said, the previous arc of Doctor Strange? Solid as hell! The whole arc against Loki was super good.

- Captain America is a soft satire of Trump and the 1%... and it's just decent? at least it's better than Nazi Steve in Secret Empire

- Amazing Spider-Man has been good. Slott is going out swinging... probably the best Spidey has been in years.

- Daredevil has been so good, having to tackle Kingpin as the Mayor, and Muse going around killing people.

- Thanos has been very solid. Cosmic Ghost Rider is fun.

- Speaking of that... Punisher: The Platoon, under the MAX label, was great! I can't wait for more Frank Castle stories set during his time in the war.

- Too bad the actual Punisher title has been a mess.

- Mighty Thor has been superb. It took a long while for me to warm up to Jane as Thor... I still want her to die so mah boi Thor can reclaim his rightful title tho.

- Tales of Suspense has been a great buddy cop show with Clint and Bucky chasing after Natasha.

- Ms. Marvel has been fun, but not sure how long they can keep up this plot of a Ms. Marvel with no Kamala in it... at all. Everything has been about Kamala's friends taking up her mantle after she ghosted them.

- Moon Knight has been great! If someone is new into moon knight, they can just grab the last few issues of this run and get into it and enjoy it without knowing anything about the character.

Others

- Transformers Lost Light is been finally rerailed and good again! Grimlock can now speak... and he's pregnant (it makes sense in context)

- Mech Cadet Yu... wow, so good! This could make a great anime IMO.

- Giant Days... also super good!

- Jughead: The Hunger... also really good! tho I wonder how long till they get hit with big delays like it happened with Afterlife with Archie and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

- New Saga arc!

- New Rough Riders arc!

- Go Go Power Rangers and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers have both been super good! And it's not really the nostalgia, since I hardly watched the original (tho I did watch the Green Ranger saga)

- Quantum and Woody! have both been great... same with Ninja-K and Ninjak vs Valiant -- the company woes at Valiant make me fear for this titles tho...

- Batman TMNT II has also been super enjoyable and a great sequel to the first Batman TMNT crossover (which is different from the TMNT Batman TAS crossover)

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:55 am

DC
- Batman's arc with Poison Ivy was actually solid -- and it actually pretty much canonized HarleyxIvy.

- Tim and Bruce are growing apart -- which is gonna lead Tim to team up with the worst possible person ever.

- Damage is better than has any right to be.

- Aquaman's story continues to be tight, but the art is a big step back vis a vis the previous two arcs.

- Green Lanterns arc with the dating app ends. Jessica's ring feels a bit creepy now.

- The Flash is an idiot, but the story arc has been good so far.

- Sideways continues to be basically Spider-Man, but also rushing thru the plot points. Curious to where this is gonna lead.

- Miracle Man... if this goes where I fear this is gonna go... oh boy... I'll love it!

- Nightwing's arc with the Judge was super solid, also Guppy is such a woobie, I wanna give him a hug.

- The Batman x TMNT II crossover has been really fun so far.

- Red Hood and The Outlaws... curious where they're going with Bizarro. I think this book has been unfairly overlooked.

- Titans are falling apart, but that's because that's where the story arc is sending them... and it's been interesting to say the least. Also a gay gorilla and his brain lover.

- Action Comics had a nice story with Supes helping Sam and Lois reconnect despite their differences.

- I can't wait for the next Hal Jordan! Zod and his Family vs the Corps has been amazing so far.

- Super Sons has been great all this time. Kinda sad to see it's gonna end, but heard it's gonna come back in one way or another.

- Superman had a nice story with Boyzarro and Bizarro, which is different from the B-zarro clone in Red Hood and The Outlaws... comics are complicated, ok?

Marvel
- Doctor Strange - Damnation and it's tie ins: been kinda ok? still hate it's a spin-off of secret empire tho.

- Avengers No Surrender continues to remain solid so far. It's all you want from a big Avengers crossover.

- Mighty Thor... Whelp, now we know why Thor will have a new hammer when the new series starts.

- Ms. Marvel was weird... it was weirdly enjoyable without Kamala in it, and now that Kamala is back, now it feels off. Also, don't like how neatly they handwaved the conflict between Carol and Kamala that started in Civil War II.

- Runaways -- it finally dawned on me why something about this title bothers me despite me liking it. Victor killed Vin, but Victor has barely shown any remorse over it and has kept the other Runaways in the dark about what he actually did, and that will continue to be the case because Victor admitting he killed an innocent boy would ruin the chemistry between him and the other Runaways.

Others
- Go Go Power Rangers -- wow, I'm hyped for the Shattered Grid crossover! It sounds crazyballs!

- Lost Light -- Afterlife is weird.

- Vampironica -- Veronica Lodge gets attacked by a Vampire, decides to hunt vampires.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:47 am

Man, I forgot to save my list to post here. :-I

Down the line it's the usual stuff as always but most notably Regular Show Special 2018 excelled where other comics didn't.
First of all it hast a weird gimmick that a double-page was divided into 4 quadrants (duh) and each of these was assigned to an act of the story, and each of the quadrant was rotated to a different direction.
The continuing panel was on same position when the page was turned.
That was not what made the comic great. The story did it for me.
Mordecai and Rigby get a small puppy pug and give it a ton of love, however the dog was actually a demon.
During the story the demon hated everything what happened to it but it learned to accept its fate.
And then it got deep.

This is one of the comics that deserves the word special on its title and the $5 price in comparison to other specials or annuals.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:46 pm

Alterna
- Doppelgänger #3: Home-Alone-ing the house to trap a 8000 year old body-stealing spirit has its charm.

Boom Studios
- Adventure Time Comics #21: A very deep and insightful story about Ice King and Ricardio, and a He-Man knock-off.

- Adventure Time #74: Magic Man steals all the colors from Ooo and it saves a ton of work for the colorist.

- Steven Universe #14: That was very predictable. Steven wants to organize a concert for his father and hires the Gems to build a stage, however the Gems are looking for a corrupted gem. Put 1 and 1 together and you'll get the end of it.

DC
- Snagglepuss #4: On paper this could have been better but somehow the message hasn't the punch it should have.

IDW
- Ducktales #6 + #7: Both issues are consistently good.

- MLP Legends of Magic #12: After so much buildup the final fight scene has ONLY 4 boring pages. Starswirl's bluntness dragged the rest down too.

- MLP Friendship is Magic #64: What a delight on every page!
Rating: 9/10

- Samurai Jack Quantum Jack #5: What a scam?! Instead of tying all the issues together in one epic fight, it just teases for more.
Rating: 3/10

- Curse Words #12: They fought and then they made Snu-Snu.

- I Hate Fairyland #18: For a wacky story it contains some proper logic.

- Saga #50: The sex scene at the beginning was clearly resembling the birth scene in issue #1.

- Snotgirl #10: Everyone has become gay?

Marvel
- Ms Marvel #28: Fine. A bit schmaltzy but having Kamala back is good.

- Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #30: Finally the space adventure is over. As The Phantom Menace proved space negotiations aren't fun.

Oni Press
- Rick & Morty #36: The miserable day of a Jerry looking for high quality printer paper for a job application.

Star Wars
- Star Wars Adventures #7: From all of the SW Adventure comics this was a little treat (although it features a story that's split in half). I think it's because of the crew from Star Wars Rebels.

- Forces of Destiny Rose & Paige: This was squonk!

- Star Wars #45 + #46: I sound like a broken record but those awful pasted-in faces distrub me again.

- Darth Vader #13: Far more enjoyable than the main Star Wars story involving Mon Cala.

- Doctor Aphra #18: Breaking in a storage facility with thousands of cyborg exeriments? What could go wrong? Everything!

- Poe Dameron #25: Nice little speech at the end that the Force is everyone.

- Thrawn #2: I saved the best for last, not only on this list but also in the real reading order. Densely-packed and well-written. A bit wordy but it's a book-adaptation nonetheless.

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:28 pm

Been too busy to properly write down my thoughts on comics, sorry =/

Marvel
- The Great: Domino #1, Marvel Two in One #5

- The Good: X-Men Red #3, Captain America #700, New Mutants: Dead Souls #2, Rogue & Gambit #4, Amazing Spider-Man #798, Daredevil #600, Moon Knight #193.

- The Decent: Thanos #18, Avengers #686, Avengers #687, Avengers #688, Astonishing X-Men #10, Spider-Man #239

- The Mediocre: Runaways #8

- The Bad: Iron Man #598

DC
- The Great: Detective Comics #977, Detective Comics #978, Batman White Knight #7

- The Good: Batman #43-44, Hal Jordan #41-42, Red Hood #21, Sideways #3, Curse of Brimstone #1, Green Arrow #39, Deathstroke #30, Black Lightning #6, Green Lanterns #44, Terrifics #2, Mystik U #3, Doomsday Clock #4,

- The Decent: Wonder Woman #44, The Flash #43-#44, Justice League #42, Superman #44, Nightwing #42, Mera Queen of Atlantis #2, Teen Titans #18

- The Mediocre: Titans #22, Snagglepuss Chronicles #4, Justice League of America #28,

- The Bad: Immortal Men #1

The Indies
- The Great: Giant Days #37, Power Rangers #25, Rough Riders Ride or Die #2, Usagi Yojimbo: The Hidden #1, Quantum and Woody #4, Kill or be Killed #17

- The Good: Ninja-K #5-6

- The Decent: Black Magick #11, Bloodshot Salvation #8

- The Mediocre: Days of Hate #3

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:13 am

Boom Studios
- Adventure Time BMO Bonanza: Best AT character gets a damn fine collection of stories.

- Adventure Time Comics #22: Another heroic and tragic deed by Bill!

- The Amazing World of Gumball OGN 4 Scrimmage Scramble: Basically a typical sports movie comic with the added whackyness of Gumball.

IDW
- Ducktales #8: Scrooge's substitude isn't horsing around.

- Star Trek Discovery Annual 2018: How Stamets met his lover and discovered the mycelial network.

- Star Trek Discovery Succession #1: Mirror universe Star Trek right after the end of Discovery's first season. Definitely better than The Light of Khalees.

Oni Press
- Rick & Morty #37: A quasi-continuation from an episode? Colour me surprised. Morty and Summer got kidnapped by vampires.

Star Wars
- Star Wars Adventures #9 (IDW): That was fun. Usually the second story is weak but this time a Gonk droid Java friendship did a fine job.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Mon May 07, 2018 12:44 pm

FCBD
- Adventure Time With Fionna & Cake: Great art. Great story! Fionna and Cake travel through the lands to deliver a bowl of punch. It involves some punching and a lot of kindness on their way.

- The Legend of Korra: Avatar stuff is always good stuff. The story is simple but pleasing, although it depends on how much you like Meelo. Luckily he isn't annoying here.

Boom Studios
- Steven Universe #15: Steven plays the chaperone for Ruby and Sapphire. It's boring.

DC
- Exit Stage Left The Snagglepuss Chronicles #5: That long speech at the end was tiring. Powerful but tiring. Sasquatch Detective was kinda fun.

IDW
- MLP Friendship is Magic #65: It may recycle the "Princess Celestia hiding in the crowd" premise but I liked the little twist on that. I just wish Celestia had a better taste in her look.

- MLP Legends of Magic Annual: Aw man. The last time we'll see the group. I already miss the series. There were plenty of good moments. It's a bummer that I got spoiled and knew how it all turns out. Despite of that I really enjoyed this and how it pokes fun at the trope the story uses.

- Curse Words #13: HAHAHAHA. What an insane issue.

- Saga #51: Seeing Hazel having fun at the beach was neat and fun.

Marvel
- Ms Marvel #29: I despise love triangles. I hope this won't be terrible in the next issues.

- Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #31: I think Ryan North took some heavy inspiration of Futurama. Good issue. In a strange way I'll miss Erica Henderson as the artist of the series. At the same time I'll look forward to the new artist Derek Charm in the next issue. The previews look pleasantly better.

Star Wars
- Star Wars Tag & Bink Were Here (Legends): Fun "little" non-canon story in which two guys were responsible or were part of the key moments in Star Wars. This is a reprint of the Dark Horse comics für 8 buckaroos. I'm glad I didn't buy the individual issues. Half of it was good, the other half just fine.

- Doctor Aphra #19: A bit rushed but it got some very neat scenes.

- Star Wars #47: The art is less jarring this time but it doesn't help that the story half as engaging and just average.

- Darth Vader #14: The feeling the hidden Jedi express towards Vader/Anakin Skywalker was refreshing...

- Darth Vader #15:... and back to the usual.

- Poe Dameron #26: This comic (or arc) is the connected tissue between and within the new movies. Poe, Finn and Rey sit together and tell stories of what happened. Here mainly Poe. Quite good.

- Thrawn #3: I can't complain here. I liked the backstory of not-yet governor Pryce and her motivation to rule Lothal.

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Mon May 14, 2018 8:37 am

I keep getting swamped by work and thus not coming here to post about comics -- but at least I can tell you that I'm finally doing more scanlations of MLP doujinshis.
:v:

I'll try to post more about comics soon.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Mon May 14, 2018 10:25 am

MLP doujinshis?!?!? I hope they are not of the NSFW variety.

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Mon May 14, 2018 12:33 pm

I've never scanlated NSFW MLP Doujinshis, nor have any interest in doing so.
:-I

But I have helped scanlate doujinshis by artists that do have NSFW stuff -- by the stuff I've worked on has always been clean.

And before someone gets all self-righteous about NSFW stuff, we've celebrated people here that do that but in the same breath condemn other MLP artists that are known for the NSFW stuff.

NSFW stuff is not for me, but I ain't gonna kinkshame someone and I won't stand for double-standards.
:-/

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Mon May 14, 2018 12:43 pm

Good to know. I only mentioned that because I stumbled upon one on ebay while searching for MLP comics and other stuff.

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Mon May 14, 2018 4:31 pm

Marvel
- The Great: Domino #2, Captain America FCBD Comic, Thanos Annual, Moon Knight #194,

- The Good: Avengers FCBD Comic, Avengers #1, Rogue & Gambit #5, Tales of Suspense #104, Ms. Marvel #29, Mighty Tor #706, Avengers No Surrender #15-16, Daredevil #601, Amazing Spider-Man #799,

- The Decent: Spider-Man FCBD comic. Captain America #701, Hunt for Wolverine: Weapon Lost #1, Astonishing X-Men #11, Infinity Countdown #2-3, Black Panther #172,

- The Mediocre: Spider-Man #240, AN Wolverine #34,

- The Bad: GOTG FCBD comic. Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man 303 and 304,

DC
- The Great: Hal Jordan #43-44, Red Hood #22, Batman: White Knight #8, Detective Comics #979-980, Batman Story in DC Nation #0, Batman: Creature of the Night #3, Action Comics Special #1, Mister Miracle #8, Superman #45

- The Good: No Justice #1, Scooby Apocalypse #25, Snagglepuss #5, Nightwing #43-44, Green Lanterns #45-46, No Justice Story in DC Nation #0, Batman #45-46, Aquaman #35, The Terrifics #3, Batman TMNT II #6, Brave & Bold #3, Super Sons #15, Action Comics #1000 (minus Bendis story)

- The Decent: The Flash #45-46, Wonder Woman #45-46, Green Arrow #40, Deathstroke #31, Curse of Brimstone #2, Justice League #43, Trinity #22, Titans Annual #2, Teen Titans #19

- The Mediocre: Superman Story in DC Nation #0,

- The Bad: Bendis story in AC#1000

Others
- The Great: Usagi Yojimbo: The Hidden #2, Lost Light #17, Kill or be Killed #18,

- The Good: Star Trek TNG: Through the Mirror #1-2, Giant Days #38, Harbinger Wars II #1, East of West #37, Anything Power Ranger with the Shattered Grid logo, Southern Bastards #20, Jughead The Hunger #5, Optimus Prime #17-18, The X-Files Florida Man #1, Hillbilly#9, Harrow County #30, Quantum & Woody #5

- The Decent:

- The Mediocre:

- The Bad:

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Tue May 15, 2018 12:36 pm

Part Two

FCBD
- Barrier (Image): For a free comic it is noticibly heavier than the rest of the bunch. It's all about illegal aliens that come from Mexico to the USA... but the last few pages turn the focus of the story on a dime and ends on a big cliffhanger. I'm impressed for that. There were many pages (6 or so) of Spanish dialogue and with my knowledge of French and some latin words it was hard(er) to understand.

- Bob's Burgers (Dynamite): I like the Bob's Burgers show but I'm not a "I need this comic" crazy fan. All the short stories there were quite good.

- Disney Princess (Joe Books): Cutesy wutesy Ariel-centric strips. For me it's a pass. It was thrown into the delivery at random.

- Power Rangers Shattered Grid (Boom Studios): More of a recapitulation of the core of Power Rangers and the backstory of the big bad boy Lord Drakkon. I was a Power Rangers fan and I find many things that I recognize, however it does not awake nostalgia in me. Not bad but I don't resonate with the franchise anymore.

- Shadow Roads (Oni Press): The continuation of The Sixth Gun by Cullen Bunn. I consider putting this into my pull list.

- Star Wars Adventures (IDW): Usual Star Wars Adventures stuff.

- World's Greatest Cartoonists (Fantagraphics): I've put this purposely to look outside of my comfort zone and look at something weird... and weird I got. From a psychedelic trip to the female orgasm.

Boom Studios
- Adventure Time #75: The end of the main comic series. I don't like that revolves around two new characters that noone cares about, at least I don't do. Except for the heartfelt ending and the last words it's disappointing.

IDW
- Star Wars Adventures Annual 2018: A story with the green rabbit Jaxxon, that was in the old Marvel Star Wars comics from the 70's??

- Star Wars Adventures #9: Wacky droid adventures and a cool IG-88 story.

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:34 am

DC
- The Great: Hal Jordan #45, Batman #47, Batman Prelude to Wedding Part 1,

- The Good: Super Sons - DynoMutt & Blue Falcon, Green Arrow Annual #2, Green Lanterns Annual #1, Doomsday Clock #5, No Justice #1-#4, Flash #47, Super Sons #16, Mera #4, The Terrifics #4, Detective Comics #981, The Brave and The Bold #4,

- The Decent: Black Lightning - Hong Kong Phooey, Aquaman - Jabberjaw, Man of Steel #1, Batgirl #23, Wonder Woman #47, Batwoman #15, Green Lanterns #47,

- The Mediocre: Flash - Speed Buggy,

- The Bad:

Marvel
- The Great:

- The Good: Marvel 2-in-1 #6, Daredevil #602-603, Amazing Spider-Man #800, Black Panther #1, Moon Knight #195, Avengers #2, X-Men Red #4

- The Decent: Ms. Marvel #30, X-Men Red Annual, The Punisher #225, Legion #5, Infinity Countdown - Darkhawk, Infinity Countdown - Daredevil, Captain America #702,

- The Mediocre:

- The Bad: Infinity Countdown - Captain Marvel,

Others
- The Great: Quantum & Woody #6, Kill or be Killed #19, Usagi Yojimbo The Hidden #3

- The Good: Harbinger Wars II #1, Star Trek TNG Through The Mirror #1-#5, Harrow County #31, Transformers Requiem of the Wreckers, Optimus Prime #19, X-Files Florida Man #2, X-O Manowar #15, Power Rangers Shattered Grid,

- The Decent:

- The Mediocre:

- The Bad:

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:50 pm

FCBD
I got some random remaining comics from my shop.
- Relay #0 (Aftershock): A star-fairing man is stranded on a primitive planet and teaches the native people the technology to farm and to build dams. Then a monolith shows up and becomes basically A Space Odyssey. It's intriguing.

- Pokémon Sun & Moon (Viz): Boring, predictable in every aspect.

- Riverdale (Archie): It's based on the CW series that I watch... and... It's the story of Pop's and how he served the Devil a burger. It's unlike the show.

- The Mall #0 (Scout Comics): Prototypical 80's. Nothing offensive but I'm a bit sick of LOOK IT'S THE 80's!

- The Only Living Boy (Papercutz): Clearly for more younger teenage boy readers that have not experienced any monster stories. Not for me.

Alterna
- Doppelgänger #4: The end. Suspenseful, yes. Satisfying, no. The end was creative but the whole story would have worked better as a 1 issue story with a few extra pages.

Boom Studios
- Adventure Time Beggining of The End #1: But I don't want it to end!

- Steven Universe #16: Kiki wants to sneak out on National Pizza Day (is that a thing?) to see a concert, Steven and Amethyst go with her and of course they don't arrive there. Pretty tame.

DC
- Snagglepuss #6: Exceptionally weak. While not bad it's still disappointing of the waste of potential.

IDW
- Back To The Future Tales From The Time Train #5: Hijinks taking for far too long.

- MLP Friendship is Magic #66: Erm.... What?! I have so many questions.

- MLP Ponyville Mysteries #1: I'm glad that the mystery was solved in one issue because it wouldn't be fun to read the obvious and shallow plot for another 4 issues.

- Star Trek Discovery The Light of Kahless #4: Klingons that bore me.

- Curse Words #14: Party is magic?

- Flavor #1: Good setup and the premise looks delicious. Instantly better than Attack on Titan by the looks.

- Paper Girls #21: The tree of knowledge. It can't be more on the nose than that.

- Rat Queens #9: The skips in time and place made it very hard to read and enjoy.

- Saga #52: Good as always.

Marvel
- Ms Marvel #30: The cover set my expectations to read through a dreadful story but I was pleasantly surprised that the love triangle aspect was only a side note.

- Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #32: And they thought a super hero themed escape room would be fun... The new artist is the bomb.

Oni Press
- Rick & Morty #38: Not as sucky as expected (vampire pun).

Star Wars
- Star Wars Adventures #10 (IDW): Each content that contains Lando is at least somewhat good.

- Star Wars The Last Jedi #1-#3: From the previous movie adaptations this one is far more enjoyable to read although it contains many little gaps. On the other hand it is filled with more flavor and charm, and it's not trying to 100% recreate the movie by giving more different perspectives and moments not shown in the movie.

- Doctor Aphra #20: No matter where Aphra lands, it is always interesting.

- Darth Vader #16: Until the end when the Jedi activated Order 66 on the clone troopers was a tad boring but I'm eagerly awaiting the next issue.

- Star Wars Annual #4: In comparison to the main comic series this was a lot of fun. The sith lightsaber making its wielder rage gimmick was not fully exploited.

- Star Wars #48+#49: I'm glad the arc is over. Mon Cala was not interesting for me and the faces... This damn art ruins everything.

- Lando Double or Nothing #1: As long as L3-37 comments everything with her snarkiness I'm happy.

- Poe Dameron #27: Still fun having them all interact with each other.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:40 pm

I've been reading Peter Bagge again, specifically, the Buddy Bradley stories that ran in his "Hate" comic books for years.

Buddy isn't exactly likable. He's very much an anti-hero type slacker character, but I find it interesting just how much the character developed during the course of the comic's life, from his relationship with his friends, families, and his girlfriend (and later wife), and how it evolves.

if anyone wants to check this out, just as heads up that the comic is definitely not for kids, with heavy themes of sex, drugs, and general bad taste. The comic is very much a satire of the counter-culture movement, especially around the 1990s when most of these comics were published.

When the comic started it was very much an underground comic with random shit happening, but as time went on Peter Bagge started giving everyone character development.

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:38 pm

Marvel
- The Great: Amazing Spider-Man #801, Thor #1, Immortal Hulk #1,

- The Good: Doctor Strange #1-2, Daredevil #604, Marvel 2 in 1 Annual, New Mutants Dead Souls #4, Punisher #226, Domino #3, Hunt for Wolverine Weapon Lost #2,

- The Decent: Ant-Man & Wasp #1-#2, Captain America #703-704, X-Men Red #5,

- The Mediocre: Avengers #3, Cloak & Dagger #1,

- The Bad: Just about every Infinity Countdown issue

DC
- The Great: Plastic Man #1, Mister Miracle #9,

- The Good: Batman #48-49, Aquaman #37, Justice League #1-2, Batman: Dark Prince Charming #2, The Flash #48, Red Hood & The Outlaws #23, Hawkman #1, Hal Jordan & GLC #46, Green Arrow #41, Nightwing #45,

- The Decent: The Brave & The Bold #5, Green Lanterns #48-49, The Man of Steel #2-4, Batman Wedding Prelude Red Hood vs Anarky, Batman Wedding Prelude Batgirl vs Riddler, Titans Special, Sideways #5, Wonder Woman #48, Detective Comics #982, Wonder Woman Annual, Death Stroke #32, Snagglepuss Chronicles #6

- The Mediocre:

- The Bad: Batwoman #16,

Indies
- The Great: Kaijumax Season 4 #1,

- The Good: Usagi Yojimbo - The Hidden #4, Judge Dredd: Under Siege #1, Mech Cadet Yu #9, The Fix #12, Vampironica #2, Giant Days #39,

- The Decent: MMPR #28, GGPR #10, Ninja-K #8, Copperhead #19, Bloodshot Salvation #10, Red Sonja #16, Red Sonja & Tarzan #2,

- The Mediocre:

- The Bad

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:45 pm

So... Batman #50 was a thing...

In any case...

DC
- Batman #50: The status quo is preserved in the most contrived way, and then sets up the next half of King's saga by doing Knightfall 2: emotional boogaloo.
It's simultaneously both really good and really bad.

- Catwoman #1: Wish I liked this better, but I'm prickly because of Batman #50
Good, but with a caveat

- Prelude to Wedding mini-series: Batman #50 renders this mini completely worthless, even good character moments are now moot.
Meh

- Curse of Brimstone #4: I think this title is getting canned soon. The only of the new age of heroes title I've enjoyed so far.
Decent

- Nightwing #46: I really really dislike stories that involve virtual reality somehow able to punch things IRL.
Good, with a caveat

- Deathstroke #33: this arc has been needlessly confusing.
Meh

- Green Arrow #42: What happens when the prison system fails its inmates? Who knows -- I mean, it asks the right questions, but has no answers.
Good

- The Man of Steel #6: Such a contrived way to get Supes back his red trunks. Also, upset that Bendis poochie'd Jon and Lois to set-up the sassy black woman Bendis created as a possible, if not love interest, at least source of sexual tension.
Bad

- Justice League #3: It's weird that both Justice League and Avengers are doing the same story (in broad strokes). So far, JL is winning.
Good

- Green Lanterns #50: The art is off, too muddled. The story is just decent.
Decent

- Mera Queen of Atlantis #5: Finally, something meaningful is happening. Let's hope it sticks.
Good

- The Terrifics #5: I hope they make Metamorphdog a permanent character.
Good

- Detective Comics #983: I like that they're bringing Black Lightning into the team, for now, but it strikes me as odd that he was in Metropolis, when in his mini, he was in Cleveland.
Good

- Hal Jordan #47: Akrilo is a true bro.
Really good

- Wonder Woman #49: I'm guessing Jason is gonna die next issue
Meh

- The Flash #49: So, the speed force is just part of other forces, kinda like the green lanterns are just one part of the spectrum?
Good

- Teen Titans Special #1: Not sure how I feel about the new teen titans team...
Decent

Marvel
- Captain America #1: Political in a good way.
Very Good

- Black Panther #1-2: What if you wanted to read Black Panther after you saw the movie? Too bad, this is a space opera that only has pastiches/archetypes based on the usual Black Panther characters.

- Doctor Strange #3: Strange doing unethical stuff, as usual.
Good

- Avengers #4: Very pretty, but it's just fluff that appears to contradict every other marvel book.
Average

- Hunt for Wolverine - Weapon Lost #3: completely pointless mini salvaged by character interaction
Meh

- Death of the Inhumans #1: Too much shock value
Bad

- Ant-Man and Wasp #1-3: completely pointless series
Mediocre

- Infinity Countdown - Champions #2: sets up new status quo for nova and riri, still pointless crap.
Mediocre

- Astonishing X-Men #13: Everyone just shits on Havok
Average

- Immortal Hulk #2: Haunting.
Really Good

- Cosmic Ghost Rider #1: O V E R R A T E D
Meh

- Venom #1-#3: Better than I expected, so far, but I wish Cates would stop with the god allegory, he uses that in just about every book he writes.
Decent

- Ms. Marvel #31: Kamala finally admits to being Ms. Marvel, but everyone already knew.
Good

- Moon Knight #196: Punching can solve even psychological issues.
Good

- Thor #2: Thor. Loki. Balder. Tyr. Skurge. Machine guns. Monster Trucks. Doomtrains. I'm fucking in.
Really Good

- The Sentry #1: Heroes are depressed and pathetic in their private lifes... bleh
Meh

- Multiple Man #1: Uneven writing. Really good first half, terrible 2nd half.
Mediocre

- Marvel Two-in-One #7: Fun story so far.
Good

Indies
- Transformers: Lost Light #19: Good, if too crowded
Good

- Sword Daughter #1-2: Brian Wood has a thing for vikings. So do I. Sadly not his best vikings stuff.
Decent

- Judge Dredd Under Siege #1-2: Mark Russell doing social commentary thru Judge Dredd? I'm in.
Good

- Red Sonja/Tarzan #1-3: It's been a fun read, but I've always enjoyed swashbuckling titles.
Decent

- Hillbilly #11: Looks like Rondel is a sort of prophesized messiah.
Good

- Go Go Power Rangers #11: Kim from bad future hanging out with regular Kim and just enjoying the little things was a super nice touch.
Good

- Giant Days #40: I love these goofs. Curious to see what Esther means about seeing a different side of Ed and not liking that.
Good

- Harbinger Wars II #2: Been fun so far. Valiant events always tend to be fun.
Good

- Quantum and Woody #7: Quantum becomes The Plutonian/Superman Red Son.
Good

- X-O Manowar #16: Feels like its spinning its wheels for this arc.
Decent

- Shadow Roads #1: A Sixth Gun sequel? I'm in!
Really Good

- Kill or be Killed #20: What an ending!
Really Good

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:55 am

Marvel
- Amazing Spider-Man #1: It's written by Nick Spencer... but the Spencer that gave us Superior Foes, rather than the one that gave us Nazi Captain America. It really is a back to basics story, perhaps too much of a back to basics at that.
Rating: Good

- Daredevil #605: I didn't like the use of The Hand too much in this arc, but I'm all in for the next arc with that stinger.

- Domino #4: One of the most fun series coming out of Marvel in a long time.
Rating: Great

- Ms. Marvel #32: Oh hey! It's Shocker!

- Punisher #227: I liked the banter between black widow, bucky and punisher. They also brought back nazi steve.

- X-23 #1: I expected to hate this issue given that Laura went back to the X-23 monicker, but this issue was great.

DC
- Detective Comics #984: I like the set-up of Black Lightning becoming the leader of the Batman secondary characters, if only temporary.
Rating: Really good.

- Hal Jordan #48: Hammond is hilarious in this issue. Also, gotta love Akrilo and Guy being bash brothers.
Rating: Really Good

- Plastic Man #2: Gail Simone has a great grasp on comedy while also making things action-packed. Domino is great, and so is her Plastic Man.

- Red Hood & The Outlaws #24: What did you do, Jason?
Rating: Really Good.

- Sideways #6: They just uncle ben'd Derek's mom.

- Superman #1: J'onn, you're being creepy as fuck. Also, Rogol Zaar already coming back? It's just been -1- issue! I hope that's not the case.
Rating: Decent

- The Flash #50: That was good, but it's hard to put into words why. Also, Barry has been a giant idiot and a hypocrite for a while.

- Titans #23: Everyone's an asshole!
Rating: Meh

- Wonder Woman #50: I knew it! They poochie'd Wonder Woman's brother, which is actually for the best.

Indies
- Optimus Prime #20 - All the things are being put in place for Transformers Unicorn -- but there's a caveat

- Lost Light #20 - Feels too rushed, but they have to in order to wrap things up, it is still decent, but feels like a lot of emotional beats are being taken for granted.

- Transformers Unicron #0 and #1: And here's the problem... You really can't read this without having read Optimus Prime #21... and OP#21 is not out yet. I mean, you can, but you're gonna be missing a lot of context.

- Mech Cadet Yu #10: Whelp, that's quite a twist.

- Aliens Dust To Dust #2: I literally read anything that says Aliens or Predator in the cover.

- Red Sonja #18: Guilty pleasure of mine, but then again, Red Sonja looks great with Carlos Gomez on art duties.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:41 pm

Oh man... One and a half a short box worth of comics. I wish I had more time in the last weeks to read them all but I managed to get through the pile this weekend.

Archaia
- About Betty's Boob: Just fantastic. For such a thick book it's very quickly read but oh boy it is gorgeous to look at. With almost no text the emphasis is fully on the art, movement and panel placement. A story about a woman losing a breast because of cancer cannot be any wackier and emotional.

Boom Studios
- Adventure Time Comics #24: Someone stole a bucket of ice cream from the candy kingdom and suddenly it became a western.

- Adventure Time OGN 12 Thunder Road: A biker gang in the clouds cause a flood in the candy kingdom. Of course a sick nasty bike race saves the day!

- Regular Show 25 Years Later: When observed by a public audience everything falls apart for them. They lost their children (and gained their youth again) because they went into a mysterious alleyway and a goblin king took their figurative speech to litterally.

- Steven Universe #17: Peridot discovers a knock-off golf-themed Smash Bros and plays it for days non-stop. On the Steven Universe comics grading curve it's on the more enjoyable side.

Dark Horse
The Incredibles 2 Heroes at Home: Decent. The dialogues are natural and despite the original audience (children) it's still good. Two comics in a miniature-sized hardcover.

IDW
- Ducktales #9: Scrooge learns the value of family twice in a row. Once while time-traveling and the other on a beagle boy infested fishing trip.

- MLP Friendship is Magic #67: Fairly good story-wise. I liked that Tempest Shadow's character got fleshed-out. I noticed that Andy Price's art degraded heavily after the first few pages up until the end. It was rather unexpected.

- MLP Ponyville Mysteries #2: Not so bad but it's quite quick to spot the culprit.

- Curse Words #15: Not so shocking revelations, and shocking revelations. Jaques Zaques is the poor little man broken to pieces that becomes the villain without realizing it.

- The Fix #12: Half as bad. The writing and such is not the problem. The problem is that I forgot most of what happened before because the huge gaps between issues.

- Flavor #2: It continues to be delightful and magical. Sets up the necessary future plot details and worldbuilding in an expert manner. It's a slow burner but when it burns the world is cooking.

- I Hate Fairyland #19: That little space adventure came out of nowhere...

- I Hate Fairyland #20: This is the end of the series. She got what she wanted and defeated Queen Cloudia again. It was a fun and wacky ride, although objectively-speaking it was very repetitive. The visuals were the most inspiring thing and I'll miss it for that.

- Paper Girls #22: The future will have clay golem librarians. A future I want to live in. The pace accelerates.

- Rat Queens #10: Anime and He-Man... The whole arc was super strange and made very little sense with all that alternative realities plot.

- Saga #53: Good night my sweet prince Robot. You awful little piece of scrap.

Marvel
- Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #33: Ryan North digs up the real obscure villains.

- Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #34: Squirrel Girl, Kraven and the rest are in court. It feels like the comic-equivalent of a clip show.

- Marvel Rising Alpha + Marvel Rising Squirrel Girl & Ms Marvel: A very confusingly named crossover event. Mainly I got it for SG and Ms M but it got quickly muddled in the second issue with America and Inferno. On the base line it's quite good.

- Ms Marvel #31: For a landmark issue it was very tame. The concept was very stale to begin with: a slumber party and Kamala doing hero business at the same time.

- Ms Marvel #32: This was way better. Insightful and doing something out of the ordinary: trying to figure out how the super powers work.

Oni Press
- Damned #10: Solid.

- Rick and Morty Presents Krombopulos Michael: I liked the main-series Krombopulos Michael comic a lot more. This one was 70% just "I love killing" and annoying Rick.

- Rick and Morty #39: Pretty average. Rick smuggles illegal substances, Rick and Morty are arrested, need to escape the prison transport, put the attention of a dog crimelord on themselves.

Star Wars
- Star Wars Adventures #11 (IDW): Lando's story is definitely more substatial than Solo's. Lando giving a snotty brat a life lesson is way better than Solo's bounty hunter hijinks.

- Star Wars #50: Oh man. It's fine but the landmark or special Star Wars comics are rough, especially for 6 buckazoids there is more to be expected. A few cool moments but the latter part is just pure filler.

- Star Wars The Last Jedi Adaptation #4: At least it is faithful to the movie.

- Darth Vader #17: Not as big as I hoped but this arc's finale was decent.

- Darth Vader #18: Let's hunt some Wabbits Vaders. For some stupid reason Vader wanted to be hunted by Tarking. Tarkin's monologues are well written but I'm still baffled.

- Doctor Aphra #21: Lovable evil idot.

- Lando Double or Nothing #2: L3 has still the best comments and is about to see droid hell.

- Poe Dameron #28: PLOT HOLE FILLING! At least the Last Jedi makes a little bit more sense. The whole thing is designed to explain plot holes from TFA and TLJ.

- Thrawn #5 + #6: From all Star Wars comics it is pretty much a must read.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:08 pm

I recently bought the first issue of "The Mighty Magnor", a comic book series Sergio Aragones and Mark Evanier did for a brief time in the early 1990s. It's about two comic creators who came up with an idea for a superhero character after running into an alien who thinks he's a comic book hero after reading dozens and dozens of them and started spouting their catch-phrases at random.

The whole thing is a parody/satire on the speculation boom that was plaguing the comic book. The variant "Pop-Up" cover even poked fun at it:

Not to mention, it poked fun at the increasingly sociopathic superheros that was becoming a thing:

All in all, while it can be very "insidery", I thought it's a good idea for a comic, and wish it made more impact that "Groo the Wanderer" did. Worth seeking out in the back issues bin.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:43 pm

Even more comics

Boom Studios
- Adventure Time Beginning of the End #2: So deep man. Philosophical!

Dark Horse
- Incredibles 2 Crisis in Mid-Life! & Other Stories Part One #1: I'm still mad that the movie isn't available in Germany, however I still read this. Standalone stories. Perfect! The containing stories are tame, nothing special. Just fine.

- Modern Fantasy #1: A fantasy setting with the soul crushing benefits of the real world: office work. Office drama, relationship problems, and stealing old artifacts. Just on the premise alone I had to read it and I wasn't disappointed. Very charming and it's a 5 issue mini series. I wouldn't be surprised if this would go on as an ongoing series.

- Outpost Zero #1: A crash-landed colony, decades after, on a planet full of ice and danger people live in a glass dome. Everyone has to do their duty for the survival. Suddenly a big storm hits the dome. I'm intrigued to see what'll be next.

Marvel
- Marvel Rising #0: I missed that out on FCBD and I got it from ebay (I didn't pay much, 3 buckazoids incl. shipping). Not necessary for the other comics but any Squirrel Girl comic is right for me (except New Avengers and US Avengers).

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:28 pm

Marvel
- Avengers #5: It's so weird that Avengers and Thor are being written by the same person, yet Loki sounds so different in both books, and not in a good way.

- Immortal Hulk #3: This is a great book. Loved all the mixed styles.

- Runaways #11: I'm ambivalent about Victor. You can tell he feels bad about something, but AT NO POINT WHATSOEVER HAVE THEY DISCUSSED HE KILLED VIN. Also, lol at Gert decided to dye her hair cuz everyone has purple hair now.

- Thor #3: Thori is best murder dog.

- Tony Stark Iron Man #2: Woof! The only good thing in this comic is the Jocasta subplot, everything else is terrible.
Rating: Meh

- X-Men Red #6: Definitively the best X-Men comic of the current crop of titles. Definitively like it a lot more when not hitting you with anvils.

DC
- Batman #51: Bruce Wayne realizes he fucked up with Mr. Freeze

- Green Lanterns #51: Art is too muddy. The murder mystery is just above average.

- Injustice vs Masters of the Universe #1: A direct sequel to He-Man vs Thundercats, in which we find out that Adam doesn't wanna think about the time his mom was a drunk spring breaker in Ft. Lauderdale.
Rating: Really Fun

- Justice League #4: For now, I'm liking this way more than Avengers, as the characters seem to be more in character.

Indie
- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #29: Shit's getting real!

- Optimus Prime #21: Shockwave's plan was to make Optimus Prime an atheist.

- Star Trek TNG Terra Incognita #1: Evil Barclay is best Barclay

- The X-Files Hoot Goes There #1: I love these quirky X-files comics.

- Ninja-K #9: Hey Colin, you're kind of a dick person, just saying.

- Quantum & Woody! #8: So, Eric and Woody brought something bad from their alternate world along with them.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:27 am

A YEAR WITHOUT SAGA!
https://io9.gizmodo.com/sagas-next-big- ... 1827843774

How will I survive this? :twonk:

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:31 pm

By reading manga

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:09 pm

DC
- DC Beach Blanket Bad Guys Summer Special 2018: Very uneven. Has a great superman story and a very wtf Crime Syndicate story and everything in between.

- Action Comics #1001: I loved all the pages but for the last page. The last page makes me feel a bit iffy.

- Aquaman #38 & Mera Queen of Atlantis #6: Mera beats the crap of Orm. Mera wins the Xebel army to her cause. Mera and Arthur beat the crap of the mutated king. Atlantis rises because Arthur fucked up royally.

- Detective Comics #985: Karma certainly is an interesting villain, particularly because Batman had a direct hand in its creation.

- Doomsday Clock #06: Marionette and Mime are stealing the show.

- Hal Jordan and the GLC #49: Quietly being one of the best Rebirth books. Gonna miss it when its gone.

- Justice League Dark #1: This was a great #1, I can't wait for what's next. I miss Zatanna's leotard tho. :V

- The Flash #51: Basically serves as an epilogue for Flash Wars and sets up Wally to join the Heroes in Crisis event.

- Teen Titans #20: WHY?
Rating: Trash

- Wonder Woman #51: This was a great self-contained issue that serves as somewhat of a cleanser.

Marvel
- Amazing Spider-Man 2: Huh? WTF Happened? I mean, it's the most fun Spidey has been in a while, but the last pages just baffled me.
Rating: Ok

- Moon Knight #197: Whelp, I didn't expect Uncle Ernst to come back! The narrative device does a disservice to an otherwise good story tho
Rating: Good, despite its misstep

- Mr. and Mrs. X #1: I'm all in for Rogue and Gambit and adventures in marriage life.

- The Punisher #228: Man, Nick Fury Jr is an asshole. Also, Frank is finally out of the armor.

- X-23 #2: Gabby is a treasure.
Rating: Really good

Indie
- Transformers Lost Light #21: The old man is back.

- Transformers Unicron #2: Death arrives.

- Britannia Lost Eagles of Rome #1: I'm all in for series that deal with roman legions.

- Saga #54: Fuck this shit.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:41 pm

Disney Press
- Gravity Falls Lost Legends 4 All-New Adventures:
I just got the book and it is the best thing. Getting it was great but reading it was the cherry on top. From beginning to end it was perfection. Read it! Devour it! Become it! Transcend it! It's clearly targeted at fans and I'm one, so obviously the starvation of new Gravity Falls content makes it the best thing by default. Besides that it's genuinely well-written, with a slight fan-fictiony bad moment but was promptly undermined by a self-poking joke. Get it. It's probably worth the money and time.
Rating: 10/10
:-D

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:44 pm

Marvel
- Astonishing X-Men #14: That was a nice fakeout with Forge and Dazzler. Also, love how Havok and Beast are written in this comic. Still hate Land's art tho.

- Captain America #2: It's really interesting, but I hate they're already dragging Wakanda into the comic, like, can you let Captain America breathe for a bit before crossing it with something else?

- Immortal Hulk #4: I honestly did not know that Sasquatch was supposed to be the canadian hulk. In any case, this comic is great if you want horror.

DC
- Adventures of the Super Sons #1: It's fun, but there's something I just don't like about this mini-league of doom they just introduced.

- Batman #52: I love courtroom drama, so I'm all over this.

- Deathstroke #34: Can this just end?

- Green Arrow #43: I wish they hadnt made the landlord so cartoonishly villainous -- like... do you know nuance?

- Green Lanterns #52: Not sure how much I like this arc... the muddied art might be the worst of it.

- Justice League #5: this was an interesting lex issue, but didn't do much to progress the story.

- Mister Miracle #10: This series is gonna break my heart. I know it.

- Nightwing #47: If it wasn't for all that virtual stuff / augmented reality thing, I'd like this arc a lot more.

Indie
- Giant Days #41: Daisy laying down the law on Ingrid was great.

- Go Go Power Rangers #12: Oooh, this is getting really interesting! Gotta feel bad about Matt.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:49 am

Boom Studios
- Adventure Time Comics #25: Aw man. Last issue. The waiting-for-the-bus story was great!

- Ruinworld #1 of 5: Two adventurers on a treasure hunt, aimed for children and still be (slightly) raunchy. Call me in!

- Steven Universe #18: Pearl and Amethyst train Connie and Steven in fighting while Amethyst has an inferiority complex.

Dark Horse
- Modern Fantasy #2: In this universe electricity is produced by unicorn tears. They are extracted by telling them devastatingly sad stories.

IDW
- DuckTales #10: They went to the Hades and fought multi-headed beasts.

Marvel
- Marvel Rising Ms Marvel & Squirrel Girl #1: Being trapped in a MMORPG is a nightmare. Also this has a printing error where one page has been doubled.

Oni Press
- Rick & Morty #40: Rick turns into random things while killing in a Hunger Games like contest. If you like Pickle Rick you'll be fed up with Rick transforming into objects after reading this.

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:23 am

Marvel
- Amazing Spider-Man #3: Maybe the experiment that split Spider-Man and Peter Parker was not such a good idea.
Rating: Decent :pinkieshrug:

- Daredevil #606: THAT LAST PAGE! WHAAAAA!!!!
Rating: Really Good :-I

- Domino #5: It continues to be super-charming and funny in a way only Gail Simone can make it work.
Rating: Good :twiright:

- Fantastic Four #1: Man! I may have grown tired of Slott on Spider-Man, and it might just be one issue, but Slott really does nail the FF and their voices.
Rating: Really Good :-D

- Quicksilver - No Surrender #4: At least he's out of that godawful outfit he had the last couple of years.

DC
- Catwoman #2: Not really feeling the new series. Also, still don't like the new design.

- Detective Comics #986: Really enjoying the current arc! Also, Barbara is a bit of a bitch.

- Hal Jordan #50: I guarantee that in a few years, this 50 issue run will be called a classic.

- Red Hood and The Outlaws #25: What? Bring back Red!
Rating: Good :vogue:

- Plastic Man #3: DO NOT WANT PLASTIC MAN COSPLAYING HARLEY WITH A BIG BULGE. Outside of that mindbleach moment, it's a really fun issue.

- Suicide Squad #45: Part of a crossover with Aquaman that will end Abnett's run on Aquaman.

- Superman #2: Batman having diarrhea... great... also Rogol Zaar *groan*
Rating: Meh :rainbert:

- The Flash #52: Flash War was exhausting, feels like the series is getting back on track.

Indie
- Mech Cadet Yu #11: shit getting real!

- Predator - Hunters II #1: I liked the first series, but this series is so bad... basically, what if Predator and ISIS met.
Rating: Trash :-/

- Shadow Roads #2: It's getting really really good despite being all set-up for future issues.

- Transformers Optimus Prime #22: So... Optimus Prime precedes Unicron #0, and then takes place after Unicron #0 -- yeah, that's not confusing at all, but at least it feels you can now read Unicron without feeling as lost as before.
Rating: Good :-I

- Transformers Lost Light #22: Wait... He's Adaptus!? And He was Mortilus!? and that thing was Epistemus?! And this crazy dude was Solomus?! and that guy over there is PRIMUS?!
Rating: Mind Blown :-D

- Transformers Unicron #3: Ok, I lied, you'll still be lost... It's too damn crowded. It's too fast-paced and relies on a bunch of comics a bunch of people didn't buy because... Fuck Transformers vs Visionaries.

- World of Tanks #4: Sometimes, simple war shenanigans on the eve of the Battle of Kursk is a great palate cleanser after reading some not so good comics.

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:49 pm

Boom Studios
- Steven Universe Harmony #1 of 5: The two Topaz broke an ancient Gem tech thingie and goes haywire at the end of the issue. Surprisingly well drawn.

IDW
- MLP Friendship is Magic #68: Profoundful and insightful. Also those darn lesson-learning princesses!

- MLP Friendship is Magic #69: It feels like a retread of the time when Pinkie Pie was the princess of chaos.

- MLP Ponyville Mysteries #3: Yet again a story spoiled by an obvious setup.

- Flavor #3: Illegal underground cooking contest arena!

- Paper Girls #23: Badass.

- Rat Queens Special Neon: Dull, dull, dull. It's not hard to engage me with magic mixed with the modern world but this was plain boring.
Rating: 3/10

- Saga #54: One of the rare comics I didn't want to turn the page because the next page is getting worse. I knew that "something" would happen and it made it even worse. I mean in a good way.

Marvel
- Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #35: Looks like Kraven was set out into the wild like a wounded and then healed animal.

Star Wars
- Star Wars #51 + #52: Decent. Even the action scenes are well laid out.

- Darth Vader #19: One a Jedi, always a Jedi that has to be killed.

- Darth Vader Annual #2: Just a little bit of backstory how Vader learned of the Death Star's purpose and it has some Rogue One connections.

- Doctor Aphra #22: The lesbian and bi relationships get a little bit out of hand, especially when an ex and a current lover are meeting each other.

- Poe Dameron #29: Mostly OK. The most outrageous thing is that they have used 3D models and used a cel-shading renderer and comic filters for some complicated alien plants and the space ship models!

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:33 am

Boom Studios
- Adventure Time Beginning of End #3: A cliffhanger really? A comic with the message of everything having an end is ironic in that regard, and that Adventure Time will continue its 11th season in comic form.

- Regular Show 25 years later #2: Mordecai and Rigby are young again and they are as stupid as we always knew them.

- Ruinworld #2: If the writing and pacing keeps the same it'll be my favorite new series this year.

- Steven Universe #19: The origin story of Steven's house at the beach. Typical Crystal Gem banter.

Dark Horse
- Incredibles Crisis in Mid-Life and other stories #2:

- Modern Fantasy #3: The best preparation montage is not as helpful as imagined in the end.

DC
- Lex Luthor and Porky Pig: Just grandious! It's on the same level as Mark Russel's Flintstones.

- Outpost Zero #2: Funerals are not fun.

Oni Press
- Rick & Morty #41: All the bad boys from all the previous issues came together and kick Rick's ass. Intriguing.

Star Wars
- Star Wars Adventures #12: Anakin and Padme visit a very famous actress. She has a museum of herself in all her roles, and are represented by droids in her likeness and they want to kill both. Typical. The Mace Windu extra about self-worthness was neat.

Yuudachi

Post by Yuudachi (?) » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:49 pm

It's been a while

Marvel
- Avengers is meh-ish
- X-23 is great
- Ms. Marvel is good
- Domino is charming
- Captain America asks whether we're ok with fascism if it means better jobs and healthcare
- Runaways is gay
- Infinity Wars is bleh
- Thor is great
- Extermination is trying to clean up the house
- Dr strange is just ok
- Astonishing X-Men is kinda funny
- Amazing Spider-Men is... well... ok, I guess?
- X-Men Red is great when it doesn't drop anvils on people's heads
- Immortal Hulk might be the best Marvel book currently (also RIP Sexy Asian Psylocke)
- Moon Knight is just crazy
- Marvel Two In One and FF are solid
- Hunt for Wolverine was stupid
- Mr. and Mrs. X is all you wanted out of a Rogue and Gambit comic (with extra deadpool throwin into the mix)
- Too early to give a fair assessment to the new Punisher
- Black Panther is just too weird.
- Daredevil is super fun right now, it also has political intrigue
- West Coast Avengers has the potential to be a solid comedy book

DC
- Action Comics is a great Superman comic. Superman is not a good comic.
- Batman's story with Bruce in a jury pool was really good, so is Detective Comics. Batman also has his trunks back.
- Catwoman feels a bit off? Hopefully it will hit full stride soon.
- The Flash is just weird
- Hal Jordan was a great comic. Green Lanterns on the other hand was off for a while, but I liked the revelation that Cyborg is the bad guy, but for that to work everyone has to be stupid.
- Batgirl suddenly became great with Mairghread Scott as the new writer.
- Red Hood is now a solo book. Not too happy with the new outfit, but its still solid storytelling.
- OTOH Nightwing is falling worse than Dick Grayson's dead parents.
- Wondie has just been ok.
- Justice League has been better than Avengers, but that's not saying much -- but it's also been better than previous Justice Leagues as well.
- Deathstroke has just been meh.
- Adventures of the Super Sons is fun, but not in actual current continuity.
- Green Arrow is really good.
- Plastic Man is charming.
- Aquaman/Suicide Squad has been ok for a crossover.
- Sideways, Titans and Teen Titans are garbage tier
- The Looney Tunes crossovers ranged from Great to Just Ok in the following order: Lex Luthor/Porky Pig, Catoman/Sylvester, Joker/Daffy, Harley/Gossamer
- He-Man/Injustice is about as crazy as He-Man/Thundercats

Indies
- Mech Cadet Yu finally ended and was okay-ish.
- Giant Days finally has Esther falling for Ed, and now Ed has moved on.
- Vampironica, Jughead: The Hunger and Archie 1941 are great comics, which makes me wonder why Archie Comics has such a problem getting things out on time.
- Star Trek TNG Terra Incognita has enough TNG flavor to be worthy of reading.
- GI Joe is just GI Joe: nothing great, but it tickles the nostalgia.
- Usagi Yojimbo continues to be an underrated gem
- Shattered Grid is over and so does my interest in the Power Rangers. I absolutely loathe the new writer that will continue the series after this.
- Kaijumax is still possibly the best comic out there that no one is paying attention to.
- Shadow Roads is still a great comic to read, particularly if you still want to read more of The Sixth Gun, since this is a sort of spin-off
- Hillbilly is still a good comic
- Optimus Prime hits a snag. Unicron is too fast paced. Lost Light is still good.
- Glad to see Beasts of Burden back, but it was disorienting to see a completely different cast for most of issue 1 of the new series.
- Britannia Lost Eagles of Rome still ticks a bunch of my boxes

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:51 pm

Dark Horse
- The Legend of Korra Turf Wars Part 3: It had some moments, like Zhu Li's election and poison gas weapons but it didn't grabbed me whole-heartedly like the previous parts did.

IDW
- MLP Friendship is Magic #70: Nothing groundbreaking. The art was good. The plot was well-connected to the show's episode with Golden Horseshoe Gals and each of them got a little bit of screentime for the sake of Applejack being a dick to old people. Well... that is also the case in the episode but that doesn't mean that I like that very much.

- MLP Ponyville Mysteries #4: On page 4 I already knew who the culprits were. Come on! Make it a little more mysterious.

- Rick & Morty Dungeons & Dragons #1: A moment Rick is proud of Morty is a moment to behold.

- Curse Words Swimsuit Special: Obligatory beach episode.

- Flavor #4: The sauce plot thickens.

- Moonstruck Vol 1: Cute-ish. A lesbian werewolf that doesn't like to be a werewolf (for no explainable reason) in a world full of monsters and humans and her lesbian, also a werewolf, girlfriend and her pony-centaur friend go to a magician's show and the pony-centaur loses his butt. The volume ends at the point where any explaination would be given.

- Paper Girls #26: Time traveling gives cancer.

- Rat Queens #11: The series is back on track.

- Snotgirl #11: Is everybody becoming bi or homo?!? This is becoming boring.

Lionforge
- Voltron Legendary Defender Vol 1: I got recently into the show and I got curious how it is handled in comic form. I can say that this episode is somewhat faithful, especially in the art department it is great. The comic's plot can be settled somewhere in the earlier seasons. Every character gets a good spot in the sunshine. Lance for example got an exceptionally well-written issue.

- Voltron Legendary Defender Vol 2: In contrast to the previous volume this one suffers from the story. It's all about a race of warrior anthro fox-cat furries going on a pilgrimage to their ancestral home planet. All the interaction between the furries and the main cast is super awkward, for example two women fall in love with Hunk because he is the biggest (height and waist) and "strongest", the furries having no problem with a polygamous relationship, and Hunk clearly stating that he doesn't like that, both women fighting for him until the end they instantly fall in love with a bigger and stronger male of their race. Could have been better if this didn't read like a self-insert fan fiction.

Marvel
- Ms Marvel #33 + #34: Shocker has some serious problems with his egomaniac tendencies. He is the classical villain that does villainous things for "fits and giggles". Somehow I fear that this has some connections to the last universe-resetting event that I don't care about.

- Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #36: Silent comic and a case for the ghost busters. Squirrel Girl hero-ized a ghost.

Oni Press
- Shadow Roads #3: Damn mysterious heritages of orphaned boys/men.

Star Wars
- Star Wars #53: Old fashioned space fight.

- Beckett: Simply pointless. Average at best and at its worst.

- Doctor Aphra Annual #2: Let's go monster huntin'. Married low-tier monster trapper are guided by Aphra to catch a biest.

- Doctor Aphra #23: Hmmm... intelligent Jedi mold. Not terrifying at all...

- Darth Vader #20 + #21: Both issues offer good variety and some tragically funny moments. Pretty solid.

- Lando Double or Nothing #4: I really enjoyed the banter. The spider sewer fight was looking cool but inherently pointless.

- Poe Dameron Annual #2: Just fine. It's neat that Han has still a thing for the Resistance and Leia but mainly this was flat.

- Poe Dameron #30: Quickly killing off comic-only characters before the series ends and the next movie starts.