Zack Morris Is Trash

Come on in, come to the place where fun never ends. (Shenanigans!)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Zack Morris Is Trash

Post by The Doctor (?) » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:32 pm

:lol: this show is amazing.

:ponder: I watched this show as a kid, and I'm surprised how few episodes of this show I remember.

There's also the spin-off "A Very Special Episode..."
Last edited by The Doctor on Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Re: Zack Morris Is Trash

Post by Octavia (?) » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:11 pm

Going back and watching a LOT of '90s sitcoms makes you realize just how problematic they were. :nngh:
ImageImageImageImageImage

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:30 pm

I never watched "Saved by the Bell", but this character is an asshole :-I

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:31 pm

Octavia wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:11 pm
Going back and watching a LOT of '90s sitcoms makes you realize just how problematic they were. :nngh:
Friends is the prime example of this IMO
Image /// Image /// Image

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:32 pm

to the point where Always Sunny in Philadelphia has to exist just to balance it out

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:49 am

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:35 am

Also, I'm amazed at how many episodes there are of Zack causing a car accident.

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:28 am

Octavia wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:11 pm
And we consumed all of that media and luckily all avoided being problematic ourselves!

Wait.

Shit.
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:40 am

'modern human media of year x will seem at least slightly odd or cringey by the standards of year x+25' is a thoroughly tepid take at best

the actual problem is that people don't know how to ethically enjoy problematic things, or how to grow beyond having been unknowingly problematic

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:47 am

I mean tbf there's probably a practical limit to the cringe horror you can take, I've never watched Sixteen Candles and at this point I don't think I ever will

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:02 am

I like plenty of flawed/problematic stuff without feeling awful about it, I'm just concious of the problems it has and don't make excuses for them

And yeah there is a line for sure, which is up to the individual but at least to me it means there is shit I definitely never wanna consume or recommend at all because it crosses my personal line

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:17 am

I don't remember a lot about the shows I loved as a kid, and with the way moral values have progressed since my adolescence, I dread rewatching my favourite shows.

Fresh Prince, Sabrina the Teenage witch, Kenan and Kel... ...What horrors await me if I go back?

Awww here it goes.
👉👉🥜🏠

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:23 am

Fresh Prince is an interesting case; some of it has aged super well actually (the commentary on racism and such, for example), some of it has aged goofily badly (any time they mention some celebrity from the early 90s nobody remembers), some of it has aged badly through no fault of their own (any time they mention Bill Cosby for example ...) and some of it has aged badly because it was plain bad (the "no homo" style jokes, the at times really bad treatment of Uncle Phil being fat or the older daughter being spoiled and stupid, any time Will and Carlton want to date girls)

I've been watching it and it's a wild mix out of all of those things, and thus a really interesting time capsule of early 90s TV to me

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:26 am

Some jokes hold out well for no fault of the show's own.

Context: an evil person who tried to take over the world has been punished to live as a housecat. He's now accidentally taken a potion that makes him unduly ambitious and capitalistic.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5vcfmq?start=1284
👉👉🥜🏠

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:52 am

It's the same with older cartoons (blackface jokes, which continued to appear in anime long after they fell out of favor in the US), but it's to be expected regardless.

Watching more of these videos, I'm convinced Zack is a bully. We're supposed to LIKE this douche? :-I

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:48 am

The archetype of the lovable scamp who pulls all sorts of bullshit has aged really badly and I basically never liked it

"Character is a dick but at least an entertaining dick" only works if the character isn't framed as actually okay or justified

Zack never really learns anything, at most he learns these surface level lessons but he never modifies his behaviour so it feels like the show frames it as not actually THAT bad and yeaaah uh that's kinda shit :v:

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:02 pm

Adventures of Pete and Pete still holds up fairly well.

minty

Post by minty (?) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:08 pm

Very controversial opinion, but the asshole character type is why I liked Beavis and Butthead but royally hated Daria. Beavis and Butthead were stupid funny (and you weren't supposed to be on their side), but I just found Daria boring. I'm not really on the side of a snarky gifted student who looks down on everyone. She's not so unique and special, she's just full of herself.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:18 pm

I think the difference with "Beavis and Butt-Head" is that the show made it clear we were never supposed to root for them. Those two were dumbasses who got into stupid, dangerous, and illegal situations because they were dumb as rocks.

minty

Post by minty (?) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:20 pm

I just find it hard to hate two guys who got trapped on a cheesy fake island in a mall for hours. :-P

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:12 pm

Most of my memories of the ‘90s are bad. I’m still fond of a few video games, movies, and cartoons from that era, but otherwise I’d rather just forget about it. I can’t stand listening to any of the music I liked as a teenager. I used to be close to someone who loved ‘90s music, and I was kinda terrified they’d hate me if they ever got a good look at my music library, :-P They found out I was a doofus anyway, when I tried to cheer them up by sending them a link to a video of a Nirvana concert and it turned out to be the one Kurt Cobain ODd at. Yes, I’m that oblivious :-I

Also Saved by the Bell always seemed stupid and terrible but I was too old for it when it was new so er :v:

Auxiliatrix

Post by Auxiliatrix (?) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:22 pm

Given I didn't grow up in the 90's, I was actually able to escape 95% of the "bad sitcoms" (or just "strange/problematic sitcoms") of that era. However, that has only made things weirder for me whenever I watch videos about the 90's, as I don't really have a complete grasp on what the time was like and how people were able to get away with some of the odd media presented at that time.

Then again, that's likely an issue with every decade. I have to wonder how well some of today's media will age. :pinkieshrug:

Life in one image. Interpret as you wish.

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:55 pm

On a long enough timeline, all media from every era will eventually turn into the equivalent of Song of the South. A couple hundred years from now, when everyone's living in a pacifist, communist, vegan society, people will be horrified by accurate, uncritical depictions of our own time, let alone what we found perversely amusing. Access to media from this period or earlier will probably be restricted to adults who have had their brains scanned and analyzed to determine that they can handle it. And their society will be grappling with moral issues we literally can't even imagine.

The only thing to do, really, is try to stay as far ahead of the trend as you can, so that people might at least give you a pass for that. Even then, not everyone will—and you need to make peace with that fact too. There's a grain of truth to that Kylo Ren quote about killing the past. Even Luke agreed with it to some extent; that's why he burned those books.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:43 pm

Perhaps people will be nostalgic for the era in which people drove their own cars, often disobedient of the rules, in the same way we're nostalgic for the gun duels and lawless trail blazing of the old west. The names of renowned street racers will become idolised and embellished by future historians until Initial D is brought from fiction into myth. The image of someone racing in their manually piloted petroleum burning car will become so ubiquitous with this era that the future will imagine the streets of the 00s as filled with japanese tuning cars, the same way we imagine the ports of the 1800s as filled with pirates.
👉👉🥜🏠

minty

Post by minty (?) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:38 pm

A wasteland of dial up internet and phones with no video things.

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:43 pm

Pocket wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:55 pm
On a long enough timeline, all media from every era will eventually turn into the equivalent of Song of the South. A couple hundred years from now, when everyone's living in a pacifist, communist, vegan society, people will be horrified by accurate, uncritical depictions of our own time, let alone what we found perversely amusing. Access to media from this period or earlier will probably be restricted to adults who have had their brains scanned and analyzed to determine that they can handle it. And their society will be grappling with moral issues we literally can't even imagine.

The only thing to do, really, is try to stay as far ahead of the trend as you can, so that people might at least give you a pass for that. Even then, not everyone will—and you need to make peace with that fact too. There's a grain of truth to that Kylo Ren quote about killing the past. Even Luke agreed with it to some extent; that's why he burned those books.
I actually hope that part of the future's enlightenment will be the ability to reconcile themselves to the flaws of the past. Not erase or condone, but reconcile and realize that we were just flawed beings (as they probably still are) and that many of us tried to do our best by our own lights.

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:24 am

Step one is to never feel bad about anything ever.

Way ahead of ya.
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:16 pm

that's actually literally the exact opposite of step one to reconciliation but you do you i guess

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:28 pm

I hope when I'm older society will have progressed to the point where I'm that family member no one likes at the garden food party. Probably because I insist on burning some coals and putting meat on it like we did back in my day. Or maybe because I insist on manually piloting my motorcycle even though computer car thingers have been statistically proven to be safer.
👉👉🥜🏠

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:39 pm

Aramek wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:24 am
Step one is to never feel bad about anything ever.

Way ahead of ya.
Which means I can say "shut up, Aramek" and know you'll be cool with it. :scootatrue:

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:51 pm

Guy who makes these videos is going to be a writer on the reboot with Governor Zack Morris.

And Zack Morris is still trash.

The Doctor
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:41 am

Zack's back, and still trash.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:09 pm

"The gang has an emotional reaction to this sad news. Zack does not. He's a sociopath."