😺😽 furry thread 2: reminder the correct pronunciation of gif is "yiff"

Come on in, come to the place where fun never ends. (Shenanigans!)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Re: 😺😽 furry thread 2: reminder the correct pronunciation of gif is "yiff"

Post by Venusy (?) » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:12 am

I think it's less physical size itself, and more the perception of cool that goes along with it (along with other traits of the animal, as you mentioned) - in the same way that someone who is wrong might think Squirrel Girl does not sound like a good idea for a superhero.

Mr. Big
γ„γ„γ‚“γ§γ™γ‚ˆ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:17 am

Perrydotto wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:06 am
On the third hand, it shows you have a lot of people who agree with your good taste. :vogue:
Perry gets it!

Cat girls are best OCs :vogue:

Mr. Big
γ„γ„γ‚“γ§γ™γ‚ˆ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:26 am

This isn't exactly furry-exclusive thing, but I also noticed when I did that "Draw Other People's OC" thing that if people draw OCs (furry or not), they're more likely female OCs than male OCs, even though the artists drawing them are usually cis men.

And yeah, myself included. My only excuse is they're more fun to draw. Other guys prolly feel the same way :v:

(on a flip side, I have known female artists who mainly draws male OCs, although they're not as common as male artists drawing female OCs)

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:54 pm

Venusy wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:12 am
I think it's less physical size itself, and more the perception of cool that goes along with it (along with other traits of the animal, as you mentioned) - in the same way that someone who is wrong might think Squirrel Girl does not sound like a good idea for a superhero.
That perception of cool is kind of specifically what lead me away from using most of the more common fursona species. I gave up on trying to project "cool" as part of my transition, because that was never really me. It was something I was trying to embody because I couldn't imagine a way to present myself that I would be happy with, not something that was true to how I felt. Now I just want to be soft and fluffy and cute, and if I'm cool in addition to that it's coming from a genuine expression of the things I like and admire and aspire to, not from an effort to be flippant and aloof.
Mr. Big wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:26 am
(on a flip side, I have known female artists who mainly draws male OCs, although they're not as common as male artists drawing female OCs)
A female artist I follow on Tumblr recently came out as bi and I was surprised they weren't already out because they mostly draw really soft, pretty girls that just scream "wlw" to me. :v:
Last edited by Weird Autumn on Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:54 pm

Mice and their friends and relations seemed more popular in the older days, when TV cartoons were a larger influence. In fact, I don't remember what the picture was, but a mouse girl was the first specifically furry art I remember running across, way back in the BBS days.

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:59 pm

Nowadays I associate mouse fursonas with transfemme folks who want to feel small and cute and vulnerable.

Mr. Big
γ„γ„γ‚“γ§γ™γ‚ˆ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:09 pm

Weird Autumn wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:54 pm
A female artist I follow on Tumblr recently came out as bi and I was surprised they weren't already out because they mostly draw really soft, pretty girls that just scream "wlw" to me. :v:
Hee :lol: Incidentally, one of the female artists I was thinking of is bi herself. She admits she enjoys drawing hot guys more, although she draws cute gals as well and usually gets commissioned to draw them more often.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:59 pm

Perrydotto wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:06 am
also hey, it means more people who'd be willing/able to draw your character, most likely; I have a hard time sometimes finding folks who like drawing birds :v:
That seems counterintuitive. If I could draw well, I’d be happy to get something different to draw. But drawing similar character types over and over would make it easier to draw those quickly and well.

In conclusion, fan art is a land of contrasts

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:28 pm

Venusy wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:12 am
I hadn't necessarily considered coolness in this situation. Like with wolves being the most popular fursona species, I always figured that was because wolves were the most "human" non-primate (not in terms of evolutionary closeness, that'd be rodents; nor in intelligence, that'd likely be the elephant or dolphin; but in terms of social closeness and behavior towards us). That'd explain why dragons rank so highly, considering that not only are they not mammals, but they don't even exist.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:54 pm

I gave up on being cool myself. I’m too old to be hip, but that also makes it easier to say, right, this is me, and this is what I like. If someone doesn’t like me, well, yes, it does upset me, but I can’t make people like me. It’s just something we all have to deal with at some point in our lives. Making a fursona is interesting to me because you can see what people value or who they would like to be, so you’re seeing someone’s idealized fantasy. Of course, sometimes that fantasy is disgusting, when people end up outing themselves as pedophiles or Nazis or into anything where consent isn’t possible, but the vast majority of people just want to be sexy or cool or cute and to have fun.

So I could have done anything I wanted with my fursona, and of course I made her kind of lost and confused and struggling to get a grip on the world, just like me. :v:

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:20 pm

"They told me I could be anything I wanted... so I became myself."
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:47 pm

I seriously don't think I could ever be someone or something other than myself, honestly. Even if I were some kind of talking cartoon animal.

Mr. Big
γ„γ„γ‚“γ§γ™γ‚ˆ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:33 pm

I always felt that Cat (in my "Ask a Cat" comic) is sort of a catsona for myself. I usually use him as my cartoon avatar.

I kinda wonder where Katrina would fall in, though. I'd like to think she's an idealized version of myself (she doesn't take shit from anybody and is confident, as well as being a quasi-leader), but, well, we're different genders :-I (should fursonas have the same gender as what you identify with???)

Maybe Kat and Cat are two sides of me. Cat is closer to what I really am (a doofus who's full of himself), and Kat represents the kind of personality I want to have.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:18 pm

Chuck Jones always said that he felt that his versions of Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck kind of represented both sides of him. Bugs was who he wanted to be, and Daffy was who he feared he was.

Mr. Big
γ„γ„γ‚“γ§γ™γ‚ˆ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:23 pm

I remember that! I guess when we work with characters, there's part of ourselves as a basis, even if it's the opposite of what we really are.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:01 pm

Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:33 pm
but, well, we're different genders :-I (should fursonas have the same gender as what you identify with???)
I've seen several people whose ponysonas were female even though they were men IRL, but there could easily be some pony-specific baggage there (all the show's main character's but Spike being female, almost no stallions to be seen in S1, etc.). I don't have a broad enough insight into the furry fandom at large and the people involved to make a call there, though.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:57 pm

An OC like that can be as closely modelled after yourself or as idealized or fantastical as you wanna be; nothing obligates you to have your alter ego/mascot/cartoon buddy/whatever you define it as be exactly like you

Mix and match elements you like/have/are interested in, that's all the fun of it :3: There are no laws and you can go hogwild
Image /// Image /// Image

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:18 pm

Madeline wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:18 pm
Chuck Jones always said that he felt that his versions of Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck kind of represented both sides of him. Bugs was who he wanted to be, and Daffy was who he feared he was.
I once went through the entire cast list of my old comic trying to analyze what aspect of myself, if any, they were each inspired by. I was able to find an obvious one for each of them except the one who existed solely to be an antagonist.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Perpetual Motion
Enthusiasm makes everything an adventure.

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:51 am

I never ascribed much in terms of personality or traits to my 'sona. I'm pretty awful at character design in general. My characters are either just me, or just flat and boring. It's probably why I'm so bad at writing original fiction. As soon as I have to come up with my own characters rather than just writing fanfic about someone else's I'm completely lost.

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:12 am

point of interest: is there a difference between an OC and a sona?

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:20 am

Bigdog wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:12 am
point of interest: is there a difference between an OC and a sona?
The latter is you representing (at least some major aspect of) yourself as a cartoon animal. The former is just some cartoon animal you made.

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:48 am

that's what I figured but some people seem to use them in ambiguous ways

Nautilee
Meh
Celestia's Champions

Post by Nautilee (?) » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:28 pm

It's a pretty blurry line and varies from person to person.

Meanwhile my sona is (an idealized + jumble pile of Stuff I Like version of) me.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:26 pm

Yeah, for me, I have two characters I'd consider sonas - I identify strongly with them, I post in character as them sometimes - and a handful I'd consider OCs, who I don't identify with as strongly.

All sonas are OCs by definition - so especially if someone only has one character, there's more reason they might use the terms interchangeably.

Angry Critter

Post by Angry Critter (?) » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:24 pm

I still need to make mine. I'm the worst procrastinator.

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:28 pm

Angry Critter wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:24 pm
I'm the worst procrastinator.
more of an amateur, even

Angry Critter

Post by Angry Critter (?) » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:31 pm

I still didn't grow up, either :U fuck that, I'll do it tomorrow

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:25 am

Perpetual Motion wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:51 am
I never ascribed much in terms of personality or traits to my 'sona. I'm pretty awful at character design in general. My characters are either just me, or just flat and boring. It's probably why I'm so bad at writing original fiction. As soon as I have to come up with my own characters rather than just writing fanfic about someone else's I'm completely lost.
:flutterunsmith: When you create a character, it helps to ask and answer a few questions for yourself. What does your character want? What does your character need? What can your character have? What can’t your character have? What does she love? What does she hate? What does she fear?

You can get more detailed then that, but this is a simplified version which I was taught in workshops.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:22 am

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:48 am
that's what I figured but some people seem to use them in ambiguous ways
I know I'll sometimes interchangeably refer directly to someone's sona as if that character were the person; even in my case, sometimes I've used I/me/etc. like that, even though I know full well I am not a cartoon horse with a gray coat and striped blue-green hair. I tend to do it mainly as a shorthand in discussions where my/someone else's sona is being brought up, since I figure that if you identify with the character enough to where the character is you as a [insert category/fandom here], referring to you via that character is hardly any kind of a leap at all.

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:12 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:22 am

I know I'll sometimes interchangeably refer directly to someone's sona as if that character were the person; even in my case, sometimes I've used I/me/etc. like that, even though I know full well I am not a cartoon horse with a gray coat and striped blue-green hair. I tend to do it mainly as a shorthand in discussions where my/someone else's sona is being brought up, since I figure that if you identify with the character enough to where the character is you as a [insert category/fandom here], referring to you via that character is hardly any kind of a leap at all.
I've typed and deleted several replies to this post because you got me thinking about the meaning behind "I am..." and "I am not..." and what it means, for example, to say
I know full well I am not a cartoon horse with a gray coat and striped blue-green hair
I'm not sure how to actually refine and articulate my thoughts in a way that won't make Ludwig Wittgenstein's corpse augur itself right up out of the ground, though. :v:

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:06 pm

Well, all you really "are" is a series of electrical pulses and chemical neurotransmitters, which just happens to be inside one of those flesh-vessels we call a body. We understandably tend to strongly associate those bodies with ourselves, and we may come to strongly associate some other identity with ourselves too. I could ramble on a bunch more like this, but to keep it short, I'll just say that I think "you are not necessarily your body" is a neat idea.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:22 pm

Also, it's just fun sometimes to pretend to be something else. For example, in the past 24 hours I've actually had two different people mention me in the context of my sona being all detached and floatylimbed as I guess he just kinda is now, and I realized I liked being brought up like that even if it is just for a gimmick. I know I'm associating myself with something that's not real, but... whatever. It's not a problem.

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:44 pm

I wasn't even thinking of it in terms of the identity/body distinction (though that is its whole other thing I'm interested in!) but rather in terms of what makes it so you might say "I am..." in one context without even thinking about it, but in another feel like you have to, for lack of a better word, issue a disclaimer that no, you actually aren't.

stonecutter

Post by stonecutter (?) » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:31 pm

Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:42 am
Definitely Gadget, I've seen first hand :-I

Similarily, furries who watched "Animaniacs" latched on to Minerva Mink :-I :-I :-I
Yup, saw lots and lots of Gadget and Minerva yahoo groups when I first got online in the 90s. :ponynet:

Mr. Big
γ„γ„γ‚“γ§γ™γ‚ˆ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:46 am

I did an art trade recently!

Love how "floof" his art is :allears:

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:24 pm

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:44 pm
I wasn't even thinking of it in terms of the identity/body distinction (though that is its whole other thing I'm interested in!) but rather in terms of what makes it so you might say "I am..." in one context without even thinking about it, but in another feel like you have to, for lack of a better word, issue a disclaimer that no, you actually aren't.
Hmm... in my case, I'm really not sure why. In the latter case I wonder if that's the self-conscious part of me speaking, the same part that worries too much about liking or being involved in anything lest it reflect on me somehow. The part that kind of took over my life back when I thought Something Awful was literally perfect and FYAD was the pinnacle of humor.

By my logic earlier, I guess the identity of me as a pony is "real" in a sense, in that it's an identity I myself made and go by. I may not use it as much as I use the identity that's part of my body, but I still use it nonetheless. Perhaps I should not be so quick to dismiss it as I did.

(I tried to steer this discussion back to the thread's topic of cartoon animal-people in my last post but hoo boy I just can't stay off my psychological bullshit :shepspike:)

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:42 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:24 pm
hoo boy I just can't stay off my psychological bullshit :shepspike:
Same :hishovel:
ImageImageImage

Mr. Big
γ„γ„γ‚“γ§γ™γ‚ˆ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:22 am

A friend's putting out an ongoing anthro comic book anthology in Germany and asked me to contribute a cat story. The only rule is that there are no humans allowed in the story, so I decided to try drawing in a more anthro style rather than funny animal, with the cat characters actually wearing clothes and the story taking place in a universe where everyone's a talking animal.

Quick doodle.

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:31 pm

the mom's design makes me think pretty strongly of [Hi and] Lois for some reason, I think it's the face

e: this is not a negative critique

Mr. Big
γ„γ„γ‚“γ§γ™γ‚ˆ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:24 pm

Heh, those early "Hi and Lois" strips were actually stylish, so thanks!