๐Ÿ˜บ๐Ÿ˜ฝ furry thread 2: reminder the correct pronunciation of gif is "yiff"

Come on in, come to the place where fun never ends. (Shenanigans!)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Re: ๐Ÿ˜บ๐Ÿ˜ฝ furry thread 2: reminder the correct pronunciation of gif is "yiff"

Post by Madeline (?) » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:11 am

Strangething wrote: โ†‘
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:02 pm
Are you OK, Madeline? :(

Need a hug? :hug:
Thank you :flutterunsmith:
Bigdog wrote: โ†‘
Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:26 pm
[quote=Madeline post_id=89370 time=<a href="tel:1546070010">1546070010</a> user_id=290]
fuck this who cares Iโ€™m not worth it
What happened? :(
[/quote]

Long story short, I upset, angered and offended a grieving and popular lgbt/furry poster on social media by boosting their post and providing them with hotline links, then I had a breakdown when they got upset and deleted my social media.

I donโ€™t know, I donโ€™t feel like I fit in too well with most of the communities to which I belong (in theory, at least)

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Re: ๐Ÿ˜บ๐Ÿ˜ฝ furry thread 2: reminder the correct pronunciation of gif is "yiff"

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:22 pm

tbh I donยดt see how providing someone with suicide hotline links is bad.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:31 pm

Princess Flufflebutt wrote: โ†‘
Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:22 pm
tbh I donยดt see how providing someone with suicide hotline links is bad.
Neither do I, but someone who's so irrational as to the point of being suicidal might (somehow) take it the wrong way. Add to that the rage-multiplying effect of social media, where a million people can get upset over something that was incredibly minor or even not wrong at all, and you get something that can really seriously hurt.

I had kind of hoped Mastodon would be better about this since, from what I understand, many of its users came there because they were tired of Twitter's bullshit. My impression could very well be off, though.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:58 pm

The best places to interact with people are still filled with just that - People, and those people can all be great and generally reasonable but they still have flaws and bad days and make mistakes, and any text-only medium is gonna lack the nuance and extra layers that usually help us judge and communicate feelings better, making the whole process tougher (though often still worthwhile!)

IMO there is nothing wrong at all with trying to help someone in noticable distress, but whether that person can/wants to take the help is on them to judge and the best intentions can meet the wrong situation, that's not anyone's malicious intent or fault but simply a truth of social interactions, and nobody should beat themselves up for doing the right thing even if said thing isn't always successful
Image /// Image /// Image

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:40 am

Madeline wrote: โ†‘
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:11 am
Long story short, I upset, angered and offended a grieving and popular lgbt/furry poster on social media by boosting their post and providing them with hotline links, then I had a breakdown when they got upset and deleted my social media.

I donโ€™t know, I donโ€™t feel like I fit in too well with most of the communities to which I belong (in theory, at least)
The fact that social media superstars in general, and queer/furry ones hardly less than the rest, need to extremely get over themselves is a subject for its own dissertation. But suffice it to say, you were not the person in the wrong here. If you "don't fit in" with a community and it's because the values of that community include dogpiling on someone for trying to help a person in crisis, well, I'd wear that lack of assimilation with a badge of pride.

I've noticed, however, that even here you seem to have anxiety about these sorts of things. And while I can't prescribe you a solution to that problem, I hope that you'll be able to incrementally move yourself away from catastrophizing these sorts of episodes, and gain some faith that you are foundationally good, valid, and cared for here.

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:48 am

Fizzbuzz wrote: โ†‘
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:31 pm
Neither do I, but someone who's so irrational as to the point of being suicidal might (somehow) take it the wrong way. Add to that the rage-multiplying effect of social media, where a million people can get upset over something that was incredibly minor or even not wrong at all, and you get something that can really seriously hurt.

I had kind of hoped Mastodon would be better about this since, from what I understand, many of its users came there because they were tired of Twitter's bullshit. My impression could very well be off, though.
Mastodon is better in some respects - no quote tweets/toots, making dunks harder; searches taking a privacy focused approach of only letting you search for hashtags, and it's generally quieter so any rage will spread to a lot less places.

However, there's nothing stopping someone registering an account on multiple instances if they're dedicated to harassing someone (banlists aren't shared between instances, though some admins will tweet out warnings), and the content warnings system is highly appreciated generally but also carries some baggage (e.g. less awareness/traction on bigger issues that affect a marginalized group the user is part of if they have to be tagged "uspol" - but if they're not tagged, the OP will get a lot of angry responses about that issue not being tagged).

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:01 am

Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:40 am
The fact that social media superstars in general, and queer/furry ones hardly less than the rest, need to extremely get over themselves is a subject for its own dissertation. But suffice it to say, you were not the person in the wrong here. If you "don't fit in" with a community and it's because the values of that community include dogpiling on someone for trying to help a person in crisis, well, I'd wear that lack of assimilation with a badge of pride.

I've noticed, however, that even here you seem to have anxiety about these sorts of things. And while I can't prescribe you a solution to that problem, I hope that you'll be able to incrementally move yourself away from catastrophizing these sorts of episodes, and gain some faith that you are foundationally good, valid, and cared for here.
Thank you. :flutterunsmith: and thank you to everyone else as well

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:20 am

Madeline wrote: โ†‘
Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:01 am
Thank you. :flutterunsmith: and thank you to everyone else as well
:hug: You're welcome.

e: pretend i posted one of those telegram stickers with my fursona hugging a furry-shaped blue blob

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:09 am

Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:20 am
e: pretend i posted one of those telegram stickers with my fursona hugging a furry-shaped blue blob
I wonder who the first person was to set this trend. Even in my very limited use of Telegram (a single ponygoon group that was made to facilitate at-con communication before everyone moved from IRC to Discord), I've seen it often enough to recognize that it's sort of a standard.

Even BronyCon's official sticker pack does it.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:52 pm

everyone loves the blob :allears:

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:20 pm

oh hey I forgot to link one of my Secret Celestia gifts in here

suck it, you Malthusian bonehead :twiright:
Last edited by Madeline on Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:44 pm

(hotlinking images from discord doesn't work btw, you'll want to rehost it)
(but it's very cute and good :3:)

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:54 pm

Whoops, fixed! ty <3

also I defeated Thanos, itโ€™s canon now

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:16 pm

Powerful kitty!!

Mr. Big
ใ„ใ„ใ‚“ใงใ™ใ‚ˆ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:17 pm

I love Muggy's style so much, glad they agreed to do this! :allears:

That is one powerful punch!

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:53 am

Thank you for remembering to link the artist, considering that I forgot :sheepish:

Also here are the other two sketches I got! I forgot that I could just link them from the Imgur album :v:

Mr. Big (obvs)

I still havenโ€™t figured it out but I like it a lot! :v:

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:28 am

Sweet :allears:

Mr. Big
ใ„ใ„ใ‚“ใงใ™ใ‚ˆ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:42 pm

Speaking of Muggy, they just drew my sassy cat mom!

So sassy :vogue:

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:47 am

Nice :allears:

Durandal
Faithful Students

Post by Durandal (?) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:59 am

โœ“ cat
โœ“ mom

Mr. Big
ใ„ใ„ใ‚“ใงใ™ใ‚ˆ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:03 pm

Durandal wrote: โ†‘
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:59 am
โœ“ cat
โœ“ mom
The best mom :vogue:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Dropping tears does not always mean the sadness.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:22 pm

I feel like I need an orange sheep icon that isn't a recolor of an existing IP's sheep.

The most common one I use, on Youtube and Discord at least, is just a recolor of the pin Gimme Dat Sheep from The World Ends With You.

It's nice and all, and I doubt anyone actually cares, but it's still using the intellectual property of Square Enix et. al. without express permission, and that fact alone not only bothers me on an intellectual level, but it also implies I am far more into TWEWY than it being a good game I LPed once.

My twitter icon is from the manual of an obscure NES game, my picture on Steam is a frame from the Pokemon anime of Gastrodon, my god as much as I decry basing one's identity on the products one consumes I've done exactly that!

But my screen name isn't like DigimonOtis or something that's inherently tied to a brand, it's just... two adjectives describing an animal.

Even if it's not a proper fursona in that it isn't an idealized presentation of myself as part or wholly animal, it'd be functionally identical in that it's a representation of myself that happens to be an animal, so, how do I get a fursoner? how do I go from the concept of an orange fluffy sheep to an actual figure?

I'm keeping the Puzslot banner though.
:snoop: Image :snoop:

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:50 pm

that's entirely up to you, you can say it has a personality or something, you can simply get more art drawn of it, basically the point where you say "that's MY particular orange fluffy sheep character" and not "this is some icon from a different game I recolored, I dunno" is when it's your character, it's not more complex than that really

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:52 pm

also do you want your sheep to be on two legs or more normal sheep on four legs

both can be furry, furry is basically a sliding scale of anthropomorphism but there are no rules beyond your taste

Venusy
Stare Masters
Patreon supporter

Post by Venusy (?) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:10 pm

i've always really liked that gimme dat sheep icon for simplicity, though yeah i did think you were more into TWEWY than you actually are for that reason

make some decisions about the first pic you want to get (does the sheep stand on four legs like gimme dat sheep, or do they stand on two like sheep in the big city; do you want a cartoony design or more realistic), do some research on artists, find one you like, and see if they're open for a character design commission, then (usually) pay them upfront when they ask
work with them to tweak elements of the design until you're happy.
once you have that first image as a reference, it becomes a lot easier to commission other artists with different styles and experiment

(or you could always just ask for the artist's interpretation of an orange fluffy sheep and see what you get)

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:01 pm

obviously you should just be more into TWEWY bc TWEWY rules

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:57 pm

Are you sure on whether you want this character to be you (or some aspect of you) as a talking cartoon animal, i.e. a fursona, or not? If you want something that's more just a mascot for your online presence, that's fine, you can have that. In that case I expect most decisions would come down to how you want to promote yourself and your content, and design-wise would likely lean toward something more typically toony.

But I think you should consider whether this'd truly represent you, if you want something more personal. Consider what sheep are known for. Typically they're thought of as gentle, easily herded livestock, so if you were a sheep then you might be prone to following trends and sticking with crowds, or you could subvert this and be the sheep who pointedly does what he wants instead. Are you the orange black sheep, known for being the odd one out in his family or community? You'd presumably be a ram; are you bold and headstrong, with a tendency to charge straight into whatever needs to be done, or would you stand out as the careful ram who patiently considers his options and decides on a course of action first?

In general I think the choice of species matters a lot since that alone says something about you, whether because you follow or subvert that animal's cultural tropes. Despite your name, you don't have to be a sheep if you don't think that'd make for something interesting about yourself.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:39 am

Now, with that said, it's also perfectly valid for you to be personally influenced by external or semi-external things. Since you've gone by the name Orange Fluffy Sheep for so long, maybe the idea of you being represented as a sheep is something that's already fixed in your heart? You might not consciously chosen that as how to represent yourself, but if you feel that's what you are then that's what matters. I've had character aspects just "happen" to me over time like that, enough to where it becomes part of me even if I didn't necessarily intend it. (Oh jeez, I hope I'm making sense.)

So if you already know that you are/should be a sheep, ignore basically all of what I wrote last night about choosing a species. The tropes I mentioned might be fun to consider at some point, but if being a sheep is what you feel you are, nothing else will feel right. If you know that's what you are, then we can move onto character design.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Dropping tears does not always mean the sadness.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:19 am

I had this feeling in the middle of AGDQ and when I started Octopath Traveler so thinking about sheep is harder than it seems. :-I
:snoop: Image :snoop:

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:35 am

Orange Fluffy Sheep wrote: โ†‘
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:19 am
I had this feeling in the middle of AGDQ and when I started Octopath Traveler so thinking about sheep is harder than it seems. :-I
It sounds like being reminded of the games from which you've drawn your representation is what most strongly makes you wish to be more unique. Hold onto that feeling when it comes up and follow it through the first steps of character creation. Come up with something you're happy with at least at first, use it, and soon enough you could find yourself caring an awful lot about you-as-a-cartoon-animal.

At least, that's how it went for me. :pinkieshrug:

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:20 pm

Orange Fluffy Sheep wrote: โ†‘
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:22 pm
I feel like I need an orange sheep icon that isn't a recolor of an existing IP's sheep.
you could have a minimalistic 'sona where the finer details are TBD or left up to the imagination

like this guy:
Image < video games i tell you what

then at any point you can just be like "i want my sheep to wear a scarf out of irony" or some such thing. don't be afraid to loose your imagination

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:52 pm

ultimately, there's no need to overthink it - If there is something you wanna do for the simple reason of "it looks nice" or "I like it", then that's literally all the reason you need

not even the sky(box) is the limit, dare to indulge yourself because 1) harmless self-indulgement is very good and healthy actually and 2) a sona is the perfect means for said indulgement

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:39 pm

Perry's right. I talk a whole lot about doing what matters to you, but at least 90% of my art decisions were/are because I liked the way something looked.

A lot of the time those ended up mattering a whole lot to me afterwards. For example, nowadays when I have a choice of colors in basically anything, I'll pretty much always pick gray first (and then some blue/green combo) because that feels like it's "my" color.

Durandal
Faithful Students

Post by Durandal (?) » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:01 pm

Perrydotto wrote: โ†‘
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:52 pm
ultimately, there's no need to overthink it - If there is something you wanna do for the simple reason of "it looks nice" or "I like it", then that's literally all the reason you need
For example, I am a badger because I enjoy mushrooms :flutterhat:

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:27 pm

badgers are nice :3: big, too

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:28 pm

I'm a cat because I just canยดt decide whether I want to be outside or inside. Also I love lasagna and hate Mondays

Mr. Big
ใ„ใ„ใ‚“ใงใ™ใ‚ˆ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:24 pm

I'm also a cat, because cats are cute and cuddly and everybody loves them :3:

Lasagnas are good, too :-I

Nautilee
Meh
Celestia's Champions

Post by Nautilee (?) » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:52 pm

I'm a dragon because, feck you I'm a dragon?

Tbh I've always been attracted to them as a "this is what I wanna be" and "this feels comfy" ever since I first stumbled across furry art over a decade ago.

Seriously though, don't overthink it. If it's not right you'll realize pretty quickly and, time to try something else!

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:34 pm

Durandal wrote: โ†‘
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:01 pm
For example, I am a badger because I enjoy mushrooms :flutterhat:
Okay, but what's your opinion on snakes?

Strangething
Eventually that's going to stop working, Twilight.

Post by Strangething (?) » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:14 pm

Did I ever tell y'all how I stole my fursona from a choose your own adventure book?
The poster formerly known as Strangepony.
I do nothing but play Warframe and Overwatch now. :-I