😺😽 furry thread 2: reminder the correct pronunciation of gif is "yiff"

Come on in, come to the place where fun never ends. (Shenanigans!)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Re: 😺😽 furry thread 2: reminder the correct pronunciation of gif is "yiff"

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:43 pm

Even SFW stuff is getting flagged as "sensitive content".

I had this drawing flagged, for example (I appealed and they removed the flag):

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:56 pm

Yeah, that's another thing, the bot they're using to scan images seems to be way too paranoid. At best it's going to create an enormous, lasting headache for the actual humans who work for Tumblr and at worst it's going to nuke way too many posts two weeks from now. Bots and ~*algorithms*~ can help in a few cases, but they are not some magical answer to the issue of policing content.

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:40 pm

I'd like for this to lead to more traffic for Weasyl, but I'm sure 90% of them will just go to Twitter or Instagram instead. I don't know what the appeal of using "social networking" sites for posting art is compared to the DeviantArt style art sites, but the vast majority of people these days seem to prefer them for whatever reason and that's probably not ever going to change.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:50 pm

Tumblr was a place where queer and queer-friendly content creators could network, share their work, and cultivate an audience in an environment that was relatively accepting and not shitty to them. Now it isn't that and those creators are left with a bad range of options that either don't have enough reach to be really good for selling commissions and growing a business, have shitty and gross communities, or have shitty layouts that don't really let you archive and display your work in a way where people can actually find it. Tumblr sucked but there wasn't a good alternative to it, and now there still isn't.

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:51 pm

Pocket wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:40 pm
I'd like for this to lead to more traffic for Weasyl, but I'm sure 90% of them will just go to Twitter or Instagram instead. I don't know what the appeal of using "social networking" sites for posting art is compared to the DeviantArt style art sites, but the vast majority of people these days seem to prefer them for whatever reason and that's probably not ever going to change.
It's because the more people see your work the more people will spend money for your work and social media sites have larger userbases and are better at getting those eyeballs.

It sucks but that's just kind of what being a Content Producer TM is in our current hellworld

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:06 pm

Yeah but how did it start? Those big userbases didn't just spring fully-formed from Zeus's head. Artists had to choose to start posting there over the sites that are better suited for it and also had bigger userbases at the time.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:05 pm

Some expressions for my new OC, Catte Belle

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:14 pm

Pocket wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:06 pm
Yeah but how did it start? Those big userbases didn't just spring fully-formed from Zeus's head. Artists had to choose to start posting there over the sites that are better suited for it and also had bigger userbases at the time.
I guess it started because Tumblr made content aggregation easier. I can only speak from the SFW side of things, but it was incredibly easy for people to make blogs where they just reblogged whatever cool art they saw while searching tags or looking at different artists or had submitted to them. That sort of functionality isn't quite there on DA or FA, unless you're browsing a single user's favorites or have found a user who writes lots of themed journals or something. (If you're lucky, maybe you find an active DA group relative to your interests, but that's about it.)

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:31 pm

Weird Autumn wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:50 pm
Tumblr was a place where queer and queer-friendly content creators could network, share their work, and cultivate an audience in an environment that was relatively accepting and not shitty to them. Now it isn't that and those creators are left with a bad range of options that either don't have enough reach to be really good for selling commissions and growing a business, have shitty and gross communities, or have shitty layouts that don't really let you archive and display your work in a way where people can actually find it. Tumblr sucked but there wasn't a good alternative to it, and now there still isn't.
This is what is bothering me, especially since I was only just starting to get the courage to step into online queer spaces. Now there basically aren’t any and I either have to use Facebook (and have my personal data sold to Russians and god knows who else) or Twitter and fucking Reddit (homes of Nazi shitlords). All I had was a SFW account that I never even used to blog or reblog anything, just look at cartoons and art and dumb jokes, and now there’s no point in keeping that account going because all the SFW content posters are going to leave too.

Pretty sure this was the intended effect behind that fucking stupid online “protection” act. It’s not actually going to stop people from posting pedo shit online or do one fucking thing to stop human trafficking. It’s just another tool intended to shut minorities up and force them underground. What kind of absolute failure of a criminal would use Tumblr to organize a trafficking ring? The feds would be thanking God that somebody would be so dumb because building a case would be simple. Why not just ban phones? Illegal things have surely happened in phone calls! /s It makes about as much sense as all these giant corporations panicking and crippling their own properties in the process.

Not even going to get into how I feel about how fucking ignorant people are about how difficult it is to create things, and how shameful it is that people have to rely on fucking Patreon of all things just to be able to have some extra time to create. If you’re working two jobs just to be able to buy food and have a roof over your head, you don’t have the fucking time or energy to write a novel or draw or paint anything remotely ambitious. When I was able to produce, there were a lot of times where it would take me a full 8 hours to write 5 pages (round about 1250-ish words if you set everything to be double-spaced, which I do because it makes editing easier). Nope, you better just settle in to the “gig economy” where employers can cheat you harder than ever before and you have no job security whatsoever, and be thankful if you can achieve that much because it means you won’t be homeless. Just hope you don’t need to be hospitalized because then you’re completely fucked. You’ll lose your job and be in so much debt that you’ll be bankrupt. Look back on all those smug-ass ‘90s cultural artifacts where people were whining about having to take relatively cushy office jobs while feeling some vague disquiet, maaaaan, and you’ll end up hoping all those people got smashed in the head by falling meteors.

I know the internet is a terrible place for a meltdown, but I’m so frustrated and fed up with how back-asswards everything is in modern capitalist America and how it’s fucking up everyone else in the world along with it. Everything is broken and terrible. Lobbyists, oligarchs, and giant corporations can fuck us around on a whim and ruin anything, from something as minor as a post on a social media platform to something as crucial as the planet’s fucking climate. Goddammit.

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:31 am

I'm genuinely pretty bummed about it too, enough people are leaving tumblr that if you've been using it as your primary social media presence you're just going to have to pack up and move somewhere else and as somebody who's trying to build her brand or whatever and get people paying attention to her work it's just a shitty stupid setback that really sucks for me.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:15 am

Yeah, I don’t know where to go. All the options are flawed in some way. Either they cost money or have a bad userbase or are so huge that it’s impossible for anyone new to get eyes on their work.

I kinda don’t want to bother anymore. :fluttersmith: There’s thousands and thousands of other writers just as good or better than me out there struggling already.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:54 am

At least we still have each other here. :hug:

Perpetual Motion
Enthusiasm makes everything an adventure.

Post by Perpetual Motion (?) » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:25 pm

Honestly, I'm a trash writer, and I have no idea who would want to read what I'm writing, but I'm still doing it. Just because you don't have a place to share what you create yet doesn't mean that your work magically evaporates when you finish it. Do what you can, share where you can, and never give up, because there's no rush. Even something as simple as sharing your stuff here for us to critique counts as progress. If there are thousands of writers just as good as you out there struggling, than only means that your struggles are not unique to you. Thousands of people are in your position, and if they're not giving up, then why should you?

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:45 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:54 am
At least we still have each other here. :hug:
This is true. :flutterunsmith: :hug:
Perpetual Motion wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:25 pm
Honestly, I'm a trash writer, and I have no idea who would want to read what I'm writing, but I'm still doing it. Just because you don't have a place to share what you create yet doesn't mean that your work magically evaporates when you finish it. Do what you can, share where you can, and never give up, because there's no rush. Even something as simple as sharing your stuff here for us to critique counts as progress. If there are thousands of writers just as good as you out there struggling, than only means that your struggles are not unique to you. Thousands of people are in your position, and if they're not giving up, then why should you?
You’re right. It’s mostly the depression, and partly just being tired of feeling like I’m always starting over from zero at one thing or another in life.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:11 pm

also, I guarantee you that 99 percent of writers think they are that shittiest writer in the room, too

perception is a bastard
Image /// Image /// Image

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:47 pm

I may not be the shittiest writer in any given room, necessarily, but I'm just perpetually mediocre enough that I will never amount to anything :party:

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:38 pm

Perrydotto wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:11 pm
also, I guarantee you that 99 percent of writers think they are that shittiest writer in the room, too

perception is a bastard
Don’t forget imposter syndrome :-I
Bigdog wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:47 pm
I may not be the shittiest writer in any given room, necessarily, but I'm just perpetually mediocre enough that I will never amount to anything :party:
You’re a lot funnier than I am and your parodic lyrics scan well so I doubt you’re mediocre :-P

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:19 am

I'd like to think I can write well :-I

I think I'm a better writer than artist, tho. I even a friend tell me that directly.

Strangething
Eventually that's going to stop working, Twilight.

Post by Strangething (?) » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:58 pm

Sonicfox won an award, and accepted it with his fursuit head on. :crack:

Even better, he ended the speech with "I'm black, gay, and furry; three things republicans hate." All the usual suspects are horked off over it. :gotcha:
The poster formerly known as Strangepony.
I do nothing but play Warframe and Overwatch now. :-I

Durandal
Faithful Students

Post by Durandal (?) » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:26 pm

In the context of Detroit: Become Human:

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:01 am

I’m following someone with a giraffe sona, it’s neat to see people try different things out :)

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:30 pm

New icon! But should I use this one or my current av??? First person to answer will determine the fate of w w w dot round stable dot com forever!

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:46 pm

Weird Autumn wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:30 pm
But should I use this one or my current av??? First person to answer will determine the fate of w w w dot round stable dot com forever!
I think you should keep your current avatar. This picture you just had done would work well in applications where user avatars are smaller (such as Tumblr or Discord), but here where you have more real estate, there's more room for extra details as in what you have now.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:52 pm

It's what I do, at least, using the simpler symbol of my ponysona's cutie mark everywhere else and this avatar here (which I've had since the horsepocalypse, I really should draw something new, holy moly). You don't have to do the same thing, but perhaps that's helpful as an example of what I describe.

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:09 am

Our friend Leh drew this picture of my and my gf and it's really cute and good and I love it!!

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:27 am

That's a cute and adorable drawing :allears: Need to check the artist out.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:08 am

Weird Autumn wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:09 am
Our friend Leh drew this picture of my and my gf and it's really cute and good and I love it!!
Super cute :awesomedash:

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:09 am

oh she colored it too :3:

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:10 am

:-D aaaaaa

stonecutter

Post by stonecutter (?) » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:19 am

Sad news. :(

I never met or talked to Robert, but one of my friends was a long-time friend of his from way back in the 80s.

Durandal
Faithful Students

Post by Durandal (?) » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:47 pm

I can't be a furry anymore (nothing to do with tumblr, just my own reasons) so this will probably be my last art dump

honovy

jademere

kenket

lofi

saterina

akitamonster

clockbirds

fruitbloodmilkshake

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:54 pm

Weird Autumn wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:09 am
oh she colored it too :3:

there's the source!!

Strangething

Post by Strangething (?) » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:26 pm

Durandal wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:47 pm
I can't be a furry anymore (nothing to do with tumblr, just my own reasons) so this will probably be my last art dump
Can't be a furry anymore? Why? Is your local furry group just that bad? :pinkieshrug:
lofi
This is cute.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Dropping tears does not always mean the sadness.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:10 pm

You can stop participating in the wider furry culture but you can never stop being a furry.
:snoop: Image :snoop:

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:14 pm

Durandal wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:47 pm

:allears:

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:38 pm

Orange Fluffy Sheep wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:10 pm
You can stop participating in the wider furry culture but you can never stop being a furry.
Which invites the question: what's the distinction between being a furry and doing/appreciating furry things? It's probably similar to the distinction between being a baseball fan and going to baseball games. I consider myself a baseball fan even if I haven't been to a game in a particular season or even if it's been weeks since I scalded Ned Yost in the comments section of a website. My mother, on the other hand, has been to a couple games with us over the years but I wouldn't consider her a baseball fan in the conventional sense of the term.

In the case of furry, I think there can be pressure to say you're "a furry" in some online contexts, because you want to get in on the inside of whatever thread or board you're hanging out on. And I ultimately don't think that's a great thing. Threads like this one should make it clear that, if you want to, you're fully welcome to appreciate cool fox adventurers or cats with baseball bats, without any pressure to identify as anything.

Now, back to the question of what happens when you decide you want out. To switch sports quickly for the purposes of a readier example, what happens if you enjoyed football for a long time, but have become so horrified by the growing awareness of CTE and the league's longtime disregard for their players' health that it now just turns you off completely?

Well, in one way it may make sense to say you're no longer a "football fan", but in another, it's wrong-- you're still a fan of football qua football, aren't you? Without trying to be a pedant, I'd argue that saying something like "I can't enjoy football anymore" is much closer to the truth. And there are many reasons why I'd be sympathetic to someone saying "I can't enjoy furry anymore". But I would say that, with respect, if you can just say "I'm not a furry anymore" and it really is as clean as turning off a light switch for you, your furriness (as opposed to furry-appreciation-ness, for immediate lack of a more concise word) was never very thorough-going.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:27 pm

A birthday art I got a while ago. Give the artist some love! :party:

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:53 am

fuck this who cares I’m not worth it

Strangething

Post by Strangething (?) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:02 pm

Madeline wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:53 am
Are you OK, Madeline? :(

Need a hug? :hug:

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:26 pm

Madeline wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:53 am
What happened? :(