ITT Post Your Random Thoughts

Come on in, come to the place where fun never ends. (Shenanigans!)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

PhoolCat
EE
HECKING
YUP

Re: ITT Post Your Random Thoughts

Post by PhoolCat (?) » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:56 am

Pocket wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:19 am
I could swear I've already posted this here before but maybe I'm just going mad. Someone ought to invent digital audio and video codecs whose compression artifacts manifest as a grainy picture and scratchy, lo-fi sound, so they'd be ideal for recreating old-timey media. I'm picturing them being used primarily in video games, for stuff like the kinetoscopes in BioShock. Current mainstream compression methods are especially bad at preserving things like film grain or TV snow.
That is because (originally) these things are undesirable things to preserve. :maud:
Image Image Image Image

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:48 am

Now that Youtube and the like are huge, people will no longer understand how cool the idea of pirate TV and pirate radio were at the time Wayne's World was made. Instead, watching that movie is like watching a cautionary tale. Their silly opening, their crude sense of humour, just the overall idea of some dumb teens given their own channel and being rocketed to stardom... ...they showed us exactly what was going to happen.
👉👉🥜🏠

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:58 pm

West Filly wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:48 am
Now that Youtube and the like are huge, people will no longer understand how cool the idea of pirate TV and pirate radio were at the time Wayne's World was made. Instead, watching that movie is like watching a cautionary tale. Their silly opening, their crude sense of humour, just the overall idea of some dumb teens given their own channel and being rocketed to stardom... ...they showed us exactly what was going to happen.
The best example of Pirate TV was The Max Headroom incident.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Cthulhu Inc
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Cthulhu Inc (?) » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:22 pm

Pocket wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:11 am
You know how Chinese is a tonal language? Like, if you say a word with a different tone of voice, it's literally a completely different word? Then how come transliterated Chinese doesn't have a bunch of diacritical marks to distinguish between those tones?
Because most Americans can't pronounce tones properly anyways. Tonal diacritics also aren't supported in typing, so it's easier to leave them out :pinkieshrug: Besides, most transliterated Chinese words don't really have other transliterated words that have the same spelling, so it's easy enough to figure out the meaning, for example, 'hanyu pinying', 'weiqi', or place names (with the notable exception of Shanxi and Shaanxi).

Likewise, when I write Cantonese words (dim sum, yum cha, etc) I'm not going to include the tone marks because those aren't a thing in English. If I were writing in jyutping for a Cantonese audience, I would definitely include the tone marks (ex. ngo5 heoi3 jam2 caa4)
A spectre is haunting Europe — the spectre of communism.

Auxiliatrix

Post by Auxiliatrix (?) » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:47 pm

Bojack Horseman retains the high quality it has set over the past 4 seasons with the latest batch of episodes. Now I just have to force myself to not immediately rewatch it. :-P

Life in one image. Interpret as you wish.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:09 pm

An animator brought this up on Facebook, and it makes me think.

Ever watch a TV cartoon and you see a scene that was obviously animated in-house, as opposed to overseas? It doesn't necessarily have to be a big action sequence, but even something as mundane as people talking.

"The Simpsons" in particular had a few instances of this. Two of the characters having heart attacks are notable examples (Krusty's in "Krusty Gets Busted", animated by Brad Bird IIRC, and Homer's in "Homer's Triple Bypass" by David Silverman).

Homer fantasizing about the Land of Chocolate has examples as well. David Silverman confirmed on Twitter that he animated the skip Homer does. A few other bits seem more expressive than the usual show animation as well:

I sometimes noticed in "Gravity Falls" that there are bits of animation that look much better than the rest of the episode, which makes me suspect they were animated in-house as well.

Often times it's because they want the animation to be just right, although the cartoon creator also brought up that it's sometimes because the footage came out wrong overseas, and correcting it in-house was much faster.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:51 pm

The animation in The Simpsons now seems so sterile compared to the early seasons. Look at the difference between the old and new intros, especially how Marge reacts to Maggie after she gets scanned at the grocery store:

ImageImageImageImageImage

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:04 am

It reminds me of when George Lucas remastered the original Star Wars trilogy by throwing in a buttload of additional CG characters and slapstick humour. The new stuff just feels cluttered and actually subtracts from the scene rather than adding to it.
👉👉🥜🏠

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:20 am

Mr. Big wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:09 pm
"The Simpsons" in particular had a few instances of this. Two of the characters having heart attacks are notable examples (Krusty's in "Krusty Gets Busted", animated by Brad Bird IIRC, and Homer's in "Homer's Triple Bypass" by David Silverman).
I remember watching several of the DVD releases of The Simpsons with staff commentary turned on, and yeah, I definitely remember at least one episode having commentary talking about in-house animation.

Mostly now I'm just realizing that I had a lot of free time as a kid. :-I

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:14 am

Could a necromancer raise their dead sperm?

Would that make them more fertile?
Would it make a monster?
👉👉🥜🏠

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:04 pm

:headshake:
ImageImageImage

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:34 pm

Bojack Horseman’s swimming pool makes me anxious. Is it even supported from underneath? Wouldn’t the bottom fall out as soon as you tried to fill it?

Every time I watch the credits I worry he’s just going to fall right through. :flutterdear:

Void Chicken
Stare Masters

Post by Void Chicken (?) » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:40 pm

It's certainly possible to make an "unsupported" pool, even with a glass bottom. Google for overhanging pool and you'll see some real ones that you will never be able to convince me to swim in.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:52 pm

I Google'd and the first link was for a overhanging, glass bottom pool hanging from 40 stories up.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE :starity:

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:09 pm

Mr. Big wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:52 pm
I Google'd and the first link was for a overhanging, glass bottom pool hanging from 40 stories up.

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE :starity:
That reminds of that one mission in Hitman where you could shoot the bottom under a hot tub like that. It was a fun mission.

Gloomy Rube
I want you to be like a hamster please
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:25 pm

That reminds me of that thread on SA where this guy thought sawing through his support beams in order to have a floor-level tub on the second floor was a good idea.

and despite everyone going "no it's a bad idea" he kept pushing forward and eventually revealed how he was doing it "for the ladies" and when actual women said "no I wouldn't go near that bathroom" he was like "you just don't get women" to the women
ImageImageImageImage

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:17 pm

That is golden.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:19 pm

Did he finish the pool? Dumb as the idea is, if the pool got made I'll hand it to the guy.
👉👉🥜🏠

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:50 pm

He wasn't making a pool, it was a tub.

And we'll never find out, since he stopped posting after he revealed how much of a sexist weirdo he was :v

Plus maybe all the rocks and gravel he wanted to put around the tub molded and he got sick or something. (I forgot to mention the gravel he thought was a great idea around an indoor tub)
ImageImageImageImage

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:52 pm

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showt ... id=3813464

Here's the thread if you're interested. It got goldmined so you don't even need archives to enjoy the travesty :-I
ImageImageImageImage

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:56 pm

There's a good chance I would have not compromised my floor joists knowing what I know now. But the damage has been done and the cost to fix it is essentially the same as it is to continue with my original plan. I may not use my tub much, but I also don't remodel things as a bachelor. My closet was designed with a woman in mind, despite not being married. Likewise, my bathroom is designed with a woman in mind. It will have a powder room that will be completely useless to me, but is the kind of thing a woman would look at and say, OMG I want this. In the same vein, if a woman sees a nice inviting looking bathtub they are going to swoon. And since woman play an unfair role in the home-buying process, a woman who falls in love with my bathroom is going to help me sell my home (someday). You may not like the design, but I assure the finished product will exceed your expectations.
SWOON
ImageImageImageImage

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:06 pm

Gloomy Rube wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:50 pm
And we'll never find out, since he stopped posting after he revealed how much of a sexist weirdo he was :v

Gloomy Rube
Celestia's Champions

Post by Gloomy Rube (?) » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:42 pm

Gosh he's a dork :-I
ImageImageImageImage

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:28 pm

Context: he was trying to say that he wasn't wasting his money here because he'd get it back on the price of the house when he resells this monster. In response to the obvious nah, dude, you're pissing your money away backlash...
I may not use my tub much, but I also don't remodel things as a bachelor. My closet was designed with a woman in mind, despite not being married. Likewise, my bathroom is designed with a woman in mind. It will have a powder room that will be completely useless to me, but is the kind of thing a woman would look at and say, OMG I want this. In the same vein, if a woman sees a nice inviting looking bathtub they are going to swoon. And since woman play an unfair role in the home-buying process, a woman who falls in love with my bathroom is going to help me sell my home (someday). You may not like the design, but I assure the finished product will exceed your expectations.
Holy shit.

That said, this man is a "sales engineer" so I'm guessing he has a PhD in being overconfident and talking out of your ass.
👉👉🥜🏠

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:43 pm

oh my God he keeps digging this hole. This is gold. Thanks for sharing this.
👉👉🥜🏠

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:55 pm

Oh. When he talked about his plans for an in-ground bathtub being "for the ladies" I had a completely different interpretation than "planning to sell the house to a woman someday".
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

minty

Post by minty (?) » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:17 pm

Wait, isn't a powder room just a small bathroom that doesn't have a tub, but has a toilet and sink? How is that useless?

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:44 pm

Pocket wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:55 pm
Oh. When he talked about his plans for an in-ground bathtub being "for the ladies" I had a completely different interpretation than "planning to sell the house to a woman someday".
I think what he's saying is he wants to seduce a woman with his bathtub and the sale value is an additional bonus. However, when challenged on this, he only pushes on the point about women having control over house sales. It's a situation where he'll get the benefit of the doubt if you're asking what I'm certain of, but if I'm asked on what I believe: it's that he thinks women will fuck him for his sweet tub.
👉👉🥜🏠

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:34 pm

Random thought: idiot bathtub guy is not worth any thought.
ImageImageImage

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:32 am

Most humans in the Star Trek universe would just be living off the fat of replicator tech, just wasting their lives away because lol who needs a job when you have a machine that'll feed you.

I'd like to see a story set in the Star Trek universe that doesn't focus on the proactive people on the frontier of space who are putting in the long hours to work out intergalactic diplomacy. Nah, I'd rather see the people within federation space who don't have a care and just dick around, but who then kind of feel empty. It'd be like depression horse in space.
👉👉🥜🏠

RIP Syndrome
i can be yuor angle... or you´re DEBIL
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:38 am

I wish I still had a dishwasher
this post and you´re face ™&©20234 R.I.P. Shitpostal Service LLC
for licensing inquiries, please contact :twisted:, VP of Licensing at R.I.P. Enterprises
~ORIGINAILL COUNTENTEH SINCE 1666 DONTE is good STEEL PLS~

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:10 am

Today's random thought:
UUUuuuuuaaaaaah.

Context: My ordered book is damaged again by incompetent delivery (by DHL, previously UPS), and incompetent packaging by Amazon. The books were squashed into my mail box or got bent during the delivery.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:52 am

I wish my dishwasher hookups weren't plugged with duct tape because lord jesus I'm not very confident at all those are gonna hold, even if theoretically the water is shut off at the tap
for licensing inquiries, please contact :twisted:, VP of Licensing at R.I.P. Enterprises

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:07 pm

West Filly wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:32 am
Most humans in the Star Trek universe would just be living off the fat of replicator tech, just wasting their lives away because lol who needs a job when you have a machine that'll feed you.
Star Trek fundamentally rejects that premise and rejecting that premise is kind of core to the series' entire philosophy. It's an optimistic vision of a post-scarcity future where not having to compete over resources or struggle just to live frees us to pursue greater things. That's, like, explicitly the point.

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:43 pm

New subforum names fucking own.
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

West Filly
Stare Masters

Post by West Filly (?) » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:37 pm

Weird Autumn wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:07 pm
Star Trek fundamentally rejects that premise and rejecting that premise is kind of core to the series' entire philosophy. It's an optimistic vision of a post-scarcity future where not having to compete over resources or struggle just to live frees us to pursue greater things. That's, like, explicitly the point.
I'm with you on post scarcity and there being no need to jostle over resources. It's a situation where you can do absolutely nothing and get a house, some food and water and a freaking huge screen to watch your TV shows on. In a world like this, unless there was something forcing people to be constructive, you'd see a lot of people (not everyone, not even a majority) spending their existence like "lol being constructive is effort and for nerds". "Hey dude wanna come with me. I have a shuttle and we're going to piss about in space."

I don't take issue with Star Trek's optimism, and you could always call it another universe if you wanted to do this without pooping on Star Trek's optimism. I just want to see the people in this post scarcity world who aren't full of lofty moral virtue. The people who aren't the go getters. Not because they'd be dicking around and being total jerks, but because over time it'd show how hollow that is and why people might eventually consider something greater to do.
👉👉🥜🏠

Blarghalt
Gaze into the Abyss, until the Abyss awkwardly comes up with a reason to leave.
Patreon platinum

Post by Blarghalt (?) » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:47 pm

STOP CALLING IT OOPS! ALL BERRIES

YOU MADE THIS

YOU KNEW WHAT YOU WERE DOING

RIP Syndrome
Rainbow Racers

Post by RIP Syndrome (?) » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:32 pm

RIP Syndrome wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:38 am
I wish I still had a dishwasher
RIP Syndrome wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:52 am
I wish my dishwasher hookups weren't plugged with duct tape because lord jesus I'm not very confident at all those are gonna hold, even if theoretically the water is shut off at the tap
well that resolved itself quickly

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:09 pm

I can't help myself. :-I
ImageImageImage

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:58 pm