ITT Post Your Random Thoughts

Come on in, come to the place where fun never ends. (Shenanigans!)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Re: ITT Post Your Random Thoughts

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:39 am

True story: For the sake of the paper, I was actually able to buy a box of booster packs from the latest set since I had points in some loyalty program that I didn't use any more and could convert them to Amazon credit. I have opened half the packs so far and managed to pull Hydroid Krasis, the most valuable card in the set. $23 on the market for a single specific piece of cardboard, one which is still being printed. :-I By my count I should only have had a 0.83% chance to pull that card from any given pack (for one rare card per pack, 1/8 chance for that to be a mythic rare instead * 1/15 to get it from the mythics that can be in these packs).

The fact that its colors are blue and green, two of my (i.e. my ponysona's) colors, just seems serendipitous. And yes, I know I am a colossal dork for thinking of it this way.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:16 pm

Don't worry, now you can buy trading cards in video games! Skip the cardboard and just dump endless money into JPEGs.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:35 pm

the figure sure looks pretty but yeah prices for nerd shit get into unholy territories

rip anyone who's still into actual Warhammer Fantasy/40k stuff because there are fantastic companies that make almost exactly the same quality of figures for a third of the price while Games Workshop still charge you a mortgage worth of money for their plastic shit

bonus points if you are into Warhammer Fantasy because they recently rebooted the entire universe by literally dropping a giant rock on it and made all the old figures obsolete so if you want to play in official settings you cannot bring your old figures anymore that you might have spent years buying and painting
Image /// Image /// Image

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:37 pm

over the years Games Workshop have purposely changed the tabletop games' rules to accomodate more extra utensils and rule stuff and other things you gotta buy, including adding more giant monster things to the armies in lieu of normal units to charge people more for having to buy the big monster things that cost an arm and a leg

I jumped ship years ago and now that I know they just rebooted the whole damn thing I'm not even mad, I'm just baffled that this price gouging keeps happening and people are still there to buy it all

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:38 pm

in Hamburg I once saw a tiny Games Workshop store wedged between two major banks left and right, it was the most appropriate thing

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:17 pm

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:39 am
I have opened half the packs so far and managed to pull Hydroid Krasis,
Cool three more and you'll have a playset to play Nexus of Fate.... After you get the Nexus of Fates as well.

Juju&Lulu

Post by Juju&Lulu (?) » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:18 pm

Me, I'm just excited to try and build a Fblthp commander deck

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:39 pm

So this year's a milestone for a lot of long-running TV cartoons

This is the 30th anniversary for "The Simpsons" (1989)
20th for "SpongeBob" and "One Piece" (1999)
40th for "Doraemon" (1979)
and 50th for "Sazae San" (1969)

So if you want to create a TV cartoon that runs for literal decades, launch it in a year that ends with a "9" :-I
Last edited by Mr. Big on Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:00 pm

This is why MLP is ending this year. It started on 2010 instead of 2009.

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:18 pm

Jeez, I was in college when The Simpsons started, I’m so old.

Not as old as the voice actors, of course! But still pretty old!

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:27 pm

I was born one month before the Simpsons began. I'm about as old as the show :v: It's technically older if you count the Tracey Ullman shorts.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:52 pm

Also, looking at the list of shows, I just realized that the creators for three of them ("Sazae san", "Doraemon", and "SpongeBob") are dead.

Matt Groening and Eiichiro Oda need to be careful :ohgawd:

Skipper
Rainbow Racers
Patreon platinum

Post by Skipper (?) » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:56 pm

Mr. Big wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:52 pm
Also, looking at the list of shows, I just realized that the creators for three of them ("Sazae san", "Doraemon", and "SpongeBob") are dead.

Matt Groening and Eiichiro Oda need to be careful :ohgawd:

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:00 am

Fizzbuzz wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:28 am
I've been reading about this sort of thing recently. I put off my required freshman English writing class until this semester (technically good advice for registration purposes, but it becomes boring as hell when I have to learn about something I already know how to do) and for the paper we have to work on all semester, I chose to write about the expected value of MTG booster packs (which is why I've been posting about that game lately). The conclusion I come to is that even though the cards in a pack aren't typically worth the cost of the pack, people still buy them because cracking packs is fun and there's value to the cards other than their market price as collector's pieces. Still, what that leaves out is the fact that there's no other option in this game than to buy the cards from WOTC, unless you're going to risk buying counterfeit cards from China or something.
That’s interesting. I know when I get into a hobby, I’m typically looking for things that I will enjoy rather than things I think will hold some kind of value. Collectibles are a terrible investment, in general. Plus....
Perrydotto wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:35 pm
the figure sure looks pretty but yeah prices for nerd shit get into unholy territories

rip anyone who's still into actual Warhammer Fantasy/40k stuff because there are fantastic companies that make almost exactly the same quality of figures for a third of the price while Games Workshop still charge you a mortgage worth of money for their plastic shit

bonus points if you are into Warhammer Fantasy because they recently rebooted the entire universe by literally dropping a giant rock on it and made all the old figures obsolete so if you want to play in official settings you cannot bring your old figures anymore that you might have spent years buying and painting
See, that really sucks and Games Workshop were one of the companies I was thinking about. Transformers has a similar “unlicensed” market these days, which started as being much more expensive than the originals, but now the 3rd party figures are cheaper than the official product, and are sometimes better made. Not that it matters to me, I can’t afford any of it unless I want to dig myself further into debt :-I It’s weird to see basic economics in action in an arena like this

It’s a good reminder to have hobbies that aren’t based around materialism or acquisition

(that said, I have kept some of my bots and fiddling with them helps me cope with anxiety attacks, so maybe I can claim the ones I’ve kept have at least a small beneficial value :v: )

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:58 pm

This person's doing a historical look at all the magical girl anime in history. She recently reviewed "Sarutobi Ecchan", a early 1970s anime about a girl who's a ninja descendant with godlike powers who get into hijinx at her school.

I remember watching "Sarutobi Ecchan" and it really was one of those shows where the idea was good, but the execution was flawed. Specifically, the show had too many "dramatic" episodes, even thought the tone and style was much better suited for goofy comedy

If I could revive one old anime and revamp it, it'd be this one.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:14 pm

There's a list of long-running webcomics (minimum of 10 years) on TV Tropes, and I find it super fascinating.

In spite of webcomics' reputation of missed schedules, there are actually quite a few that's run for more than 10 years. Also, a number of 1990s-era webcomics are still going today. Some of those comics I haven't thought about since the mid-2000s, only to find that they're still going.

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:41 pm

In the audience for Patton Oswalt right now. :party:

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:47 pm

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:30 am

Kinda feel like I’m devolving into a humorless shouting jerk

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:31 am

At least you weren't born that way!
ImageImageImage

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:52 pm

It's a natural reaction to the state of the world.

Someone once said "If you can keep your head when everyone around you is losing theirs, chances are you're not paying attention."
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:24 pm

Pocket wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:52 pm

Someone once said "If you can keep your head when everyone around you is losing theirs, chances are you're not paying attention."
Wrong, I'm cool and invincible.

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:47 pm

Pocket wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:52 pm
True, but it's ultimately a maladaptation, at least if it's simply creating stress and belligerence for no end. It reminds me of something I read about the (hypothesized) evolutionary origin of things like seasickness. There's no obvious benefit to wanting to empty the contents of your stomach just because you happen to be on the deck of a heaving ship, but there could be a benefit if what's causing you to feel wobbly and disoriented-- back in the paleolithic jungles, savannahs and canyons, where ship decks are remarkably few-- is a toxin you've eaten that's fucking with your nervous system.

Similarly, I imagine that reacting to environmental stressors by shouting humorlessly is a pretty good tactic if your environmental stressors are wild animals or aliens from rival tribes that you can intimidate into fucking off and be done with it, but less so in our more nuanced world of a hundred millennia later.

One of the reasons I can't wait to be out of my current job is that it's literally making me a worse person. It's harder for me to be compassionate or to give other people's problems/perspectives the time of day. That's not 100% (or even 50%) my fault, but it is a bad thing.

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:38 am

My plan when awful things happen to my patients, is to say "That's bad news bears" then shrug and make a fart sound with my mouth.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:43 am

Kefka, please change Aramek's name to Bad News Bear, thanks in advance.

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:49 am

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:39 pm

Then permanently change his title to "Wal-ter-Mat-thou!"
ImageImageImage

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:36 am

Bigdog wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:47 pm
True, but it's ultimately a maladaptation, at least if it's simply creating stress and belligerence for no end. It reminds me of something I read about the (hypothesized) evolutionary origin of things like seasickness. There's no obvious benefit to wanting to empty the contents of your stomach just because you happen to be on the deck of a heaving ship, but there could be a benefit if what's causing you to feel wobbly and disoriented-- back in the paleolithic jungles, savannahs and canyons, where ship decks are remarkably few-- is a toxin you've eaten that's fucking with your nervous system.

Similarly, I imagine that reacting to environmental stressors by shouting humorlessly is a pretty good tactic if your environmental stressors are wild animals or aliens from rival tribes that you can intimidate into fucking off and be done with it, but less so in our more nuanced world of a hundred millennia later.

One of the reasons I can't wait to be out of my current job is that it's literally making me a worse person. It's harder for me to be compassionate or to give other people's problems/perspectives the time of day. That's not 100% (or even 50%) my fault, but it is a bad thing.
I agree. Anger and stress lead to higher cortisol levels in your blood, which worsens your health and ultimately shortens your life. I’d rather grapple with the state of the world by being and doing what I think is right, rather than shout at people who may or may not deserve it, and make myself and everyone around me feel worse in the process.

Sometimes you do need to fight, and sometimes shit is so outrageous that it would be inhuman not to be angry. But it’s better to take care of yourself and others the rest of the time. It’s still a way of opposing the negative forces at work in the world without grinding yourself down to nothing.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:37 am

Davyinatoga wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:39 pm
Then permanently change his title to "Wal-ter-Mat-thou!"
Wal-ter mat-thou, Romeo?

Factory Factory
nice box
Semper Pie

Post by Factory Factory (?) » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:39 am

Deny thy father and refuse thy name.
Or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love
And I’ll no longer be a Jacklemmon.
There is no guarantee that the wizard selling you that bag full of magic sand is wearing pants underneath his robes.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:45 am

Factory Factory wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:39 am
Deny thy father and refuse thy name.
Or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love
And I’ll no longer be a Jacklemmon.
5’d

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Sun May 05, 2019 11:34 pm

why is it called a fanny pack when most people wear them in front

I guess it could work with the British sense of the term, but they don't call them that in Britain for obvious reasons, so that can't be it

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Sun May 05, 2019 11:59 pm

Bigdog wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:34 pm
why is it called a fanny pack when most people wear them in front

I guess it could work with the British sense of the term, but they don't call them that in Britain for obvious reasons, so that can't be it
I think it was initially invented to be worn above the butt, but most people prefer them in front.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Thu May 09, 2019 3:25 am

Oh man. My brain just goes off on the weirdest tangents sometimes. I was watching a VOD of Arms, and for some reason it struck me that Ninjara's hair looked like Lego minifig hair. And then I was like, wait, didn't Lego literally make a line of Arms type toys? Like, they were "robots" or something and they had spring-loaded ball fists and you made them punch by pressing triggers in the back. They came out around the same time Lego started doing weird shit like Bionicle or those soccer kits you could actually play a sort of foosball type game with.

Turns out I was close, but I was getting two lines mixed up: CyberSlam, which had the punching aspect but were shaped more like vehicles; and Throwbots, which were robots that engaged in EXTREME FRISBEE.

Functional Lego Arms figures would legit rule, though. Why hasn't Lego ever licensed any Nintendo stuff, anyway?
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Fri May 10, 2019 11:56 am

Bought new shoes for work.

They're red and black alicorn OC shoes.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed May 15, 2019 3:46 am

Something I've been thinking. I was reading about how "Family Guy" got uncancelled due to high demands, good ratings on Adult Swim reruns, and the huge DVD sales. Nowadays a lot of people feels the show's not as good anymore, although FOX ironically refuses to cancel it again due to it being a cashcow franchise.

And I watched a video about how the revivals of "Arrested Development" were considered disappointments with the fans.

And the later episodes of "Dexter's Lab" after it got uncancelled was considered terrible.

And I know a lot of people didn't care about the web revival of "The Critic" from the early 2000s.

I guess my question is, how often are revivals of cancelled shows considered just a good? Feels like, sometimes, it's better to just let go of something,like it's better to just remember how a show was good during the brief period it was around.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Wed May 15, 2019 7:51 am

Googling around for best show revivals, and for cartoons, there's... well, there's Samurai Jack. Kinda feels like anything that gets canceled gets a reboot these days instead.

Speaking of reboots: Duck Tales is the obvious winner, She-Ra is doing well, the new Carmen Sandiego, those new Mickey Mouse shorts, My Little Pony, Voltron... starting fresh with an eye for modern sensibilities seems like the key to success.

As for Family Guy, the impression I had when it got un-canceled was that they'd given up on the sitcom family premise and started doing nothing but TV reference jokes. Skimming some of the original episodes, I think some of that was always there, but the season 4 episode I randomly picked was a "Meg is ugly and everyone hates her" episode, so... maybe their bad habit of Flanderizing their characters to excess really did start then.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed May 15, 2019 9:34 am

I wouldn’t say Family Guy’s not as good as it was when it started, because that presumes a time when Family Guy was anything but garbage

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Dropping tears does not always mean the sadness.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Thu May 16, 2019 3:30 pm

Madeline wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:34 am
I wouldn’t say Family Guy’s not as good as it was when it started, because that presumes a time when Family Guy was anything but garbage
Early Family Guy knew when to end a fucking joke. It still had stinkers but since it was much punchier the bad ones weren't left to linger and the good ones don't drag on for ages and transform into stinkers.
:snoop: Image :snoop:

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Thu May 16, 2019 5:25 pm

Orange Fluffy Sheep wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 3:30 pm
Early Family Guy knew when to end a fucking joke. It still had stinkers but since it was much punchier the bad ones weren't left to linger and the good ones don't drag on for ages and transform into stinkers.
That’s fair. I didn’t get into it much early on and then the return was so bad I didn’t watch it again. But there had to be some kind of quality and skill involved that I missed for it to have had that kind of following.