ITT Post Your Random Thoughts

Come on in, come to the place where fun never ends. (Shenanigans!)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Re: ITT Post Your Random Thoughts

Post by Jill (?) » Thu May 16, 2019 6:05 pm

family guy's best joke was probably this

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Thu May 16, 2019 6:06 pm

The only early episode I remember is the one where the TV broke and Peter decided to make a cardboard cutout of a TV and carry it around town pretending he's watching TV. Oh, and the one where he filled in for the Grim Reaper, which The Simpsons bizarrely decided to rip off, but I don't remember if I actually saw that one or just read about it.

Comedy Central didn't seem interested in airing the early ones by the time I was exposed to it.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu May 16, 2019 6:07 pm

Madeline wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:25 pm
That’s fair. I didn’t get into it much early on and then the return was so bad I didn’t watch it again. But there had to be some kind of quality and skill involved that I missed for it to have had that kind of following.
I mean it's also fine if it was never your thing to begin with, humor is incredibly subjective

personally I never liked Family Guy and it was definitely never for me but from what little I know I can recognize it's gotten worse in terms of execution
Image /// Image /// Image

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu May 16, 2019 6:12 pm

also rule of thumb: making your asshole character an asshole mouthpiece that is somehow always right you are probably doing it wrong! extra bad points if the character is a weird talking animal

see: Brian, Cerebus, the Tinsley duck

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Thu May 16, 2019 9:11 pm

One thing that sticks out to me now is that early Family Guy was still leaning heavily on the basic character traits. This baby is very articulate, and also builds death rays! This dog can talk, and he's a souse! Peter's a lazy weirdo like Homer Simpson!

Maybe it was inevitable that by the time they hit season three, four, five, those jokes would have run their course, and they'd start making things wackier to compensate for not having anything new to do with their main characters.

minty

Post by minty (?) » Thu May 16, 2019 9:45 pm

What baffles me is how the Cleveland Show just copied Family Guy. They made the son Chris 2.0 even though he was completely different in the Family Guy show.

I used to watch Family Guy years ago, but I have no idea what it is about now. I'll admit I still find the house puppet scene funny, but I don't really want to re-watch the show.

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Thu May 16, 2019 10:25 pm

minty wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 9:45 pm

I used to watch Family Guy years ago,
mods??????

Logicgate

Post by Logicgate (?) » Mon May 20, 2019 10:03 am

I saved a birthday party for my coworker's daughter! The problem was "What do you give a unicorn-enthusiast who already has all the toy unicorns"

Fortunately I had the answer

She must BECOME the unicorn

Factory Factory
nice box
Semper Pie

Post by Factory Factory (?) » Mon May 20, 2019 12:45 pm

Is it a gift, a curse, or the gift of a literal curse?
There is no guarantee that the wizard selling you that bag full of magic sand is wearing pants underneath his robes.

ToastGhost
Big adventure's waiting.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by ToastGhost (?) » Tue May 21, 2019 10:54 am

Logicgate wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 10:03 am
I saved a birthday party for my coworker's daughter! The problem was "What do you give a unicorn-enthusiast who already has all the toy unicorns"

Fortunately I had the answer

She must BECOME the unicorn
Good. :allears:
ImageImageImage

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Mon May 27, 2019 6:01 am

The march of technology is weird when you think about it. Text messaging was invented before the telephone, but it wouldn't be until another 100 years later that the average person would have a way to send and receive them directly.
Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:18 am

You know what I hate? That I can't come up with puns. Even when there's an obvious one, it's rare for me to come up with a pun until somebody points it out.

If I DO come up with a pun, it's usually by accident.

I wish I can come up with puns naturally. It would make writing jokes easier for me.

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:47 am

Poor Baker, missing all the easy punts.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Dropping tears does not always mean the sadness.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:06 am

Mr. Big wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:18 am
You know what I hate? That I can't come up with puns. Even when there's an obvious one, it's rare for me to come up with a pun until somebody points it out.

I wish I can come up with puns naturally. It would make writing jokes easier for me.
Collab with angel beat.
:snoop: Image :snoop:

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:21 am

Mr. Big wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:18 am

It's not a big deal. Don't PUNish yourself over it.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:56 am

:-I

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:06 pm

Honestly I learned how to make puns by listening to other people who make a lot of puns, at some point you memorize a bunch and you learn to look for similiar things by yourself

Factory Factory
nice box
Semper Pie

Post by Factory Factory (?) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:28 pm

Or: Perry keeps an ear out for corny jokes to discover a kernel of wisdom.
There is no guarantee that the wizard selling you that bag full of magic sand is wearing pants underneath his robes.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:30 pm

Perry's ears are popping :-I

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:20 pm

I'm on the opposite side of Perry.
Puns are the worst if you are in a work environment, "imprisoned" in an office room for 8 hours, and your colleague is spewing puns English and German left and right, even with words that are barely words nor being creative. Once I liked puns occasionally but this guy ruined it for me. My brain was damaged and is slowly recovering.
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

diribigal
Special Flowers

Post by diribigal (?) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:36 pm

It's somehow appropriate that the bird thread says "loading tweet" when I open it.
ImageImageImage Very math.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:44 pm

Doing a lot of crossword puzzles helps improve your pun game, since they force you to think of every possible way a word can be used.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Quanta
Which Witch?
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Quanta (?) » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:37 pm

Bart, I don't want to alarm you, but I'm dummy thicc, and the clap of my asscheeks keeps alerting the guards!
ImageImage
Image3DS Friend Code: 2852-6885-2752

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:32 pm

I prefer to mix memes like metaphors
ImageImageImage

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:28 pm

(thread)

Something I think about sometimes. I had people specifically tell me that the colors in "Fuzzy" is a big draw for them, even though it's literally flat, bucket-filled color you would see in Sunday comics sections. Which gives me a theory: colors in comics doesn't have to be good; it just has to be THERE. Period.

I do have a corner-cutting methods I should probably write about. It enabled me to color 44 pages of comics in just 9 days.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:06 pm

I mean yeah, the colors should be good, in the sense that they should be pleasant and fitting for what you do; colors communicate a lot for us so the need for colors is understandable, even if it can be unfortunate extra work

but yeah if you think ANY color is fine then try to color your comic in very drab browns, greens and grey and then see how folks like it :U

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:13 pm

I might have been harsh on that sentence. The colors should still make sense, definitely, but sometimes I think there are people who break their backs on it trying to make it super fancy good even though there are other methods that can work without stressing over it.

I'm planning to write a Twitter thread about some of the ways I get colors done without stressing over it too much. Hopefully it will be valuable for other comic creators.

(and drab colors can work, but it entirely depends on context of the scene).

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:23 pm

One of my favorite uses of color in comics is when parts of the image are dramatically reduced in color count to both save a ton of work and to avoid stealing focus. I mean, look at this:

Calvin and Hobbes did that a lot. So when I got involved with a fan-colorization site, I immediately started imitating the technique, particularly for backgrounds.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:26 pm

Pocket wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:23 pm
One of my favorite uses of color in comics is when parts of the image are dramatically reduced in color count to both save a ton of work and to avoid stealing focus. I mean, look at this:

Calvin and Hobbes did that a lot. So when I got involved with a fan-colorization site, I immediately started imitating the technique, particularly for backgrounds.

YES! Something like this is very efficient. Tom Luth also does it when he colors "Groo the Wanderer" (and given Sergio Aragones' love of crowd scenes, it for the best). I do that with my own work sometimes, and will mention that in my thread about cutting corners on comics coloring.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:29 pm

yeah that sorta thing is totally fine and helps do less work while still using colors effectively

I dunno if I'd personally call that cutting corners, I'd call it something a bit more favorable because it's a totally valid way to work and not something where you skimp out; you are simply using the colors efficiently and effectively for your use, that's nothing to be ashamed of

it would only get iffy once you do just slap colors on randomly without any consideration for their purpose at all, because then it gets noticable and feels cheap; people don't need crazy amounts of finesse to find colors pleasing, they just need to look coherent and fitting

I really like the second strip Pocket posted because it really is a great example of being efficient while still setting the mood and scenery and giving the characters understandable, pleasant colors - Good job on that, Pocket, seriously

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:39 pm

another example I'd like to show is Asterix:

artist Uderzo was very known for his ability to pull off very detailed backgrounds that still worked well with the simple, cartoony characters and I'd say part of that was his very effective use of limited color palettes

the villages we see here all have very basic colors when it comes down to it, mostly a few greens, a few browns, grey and yellow

the lines, both in the more detailed places and the less detailed, just really "pop" from the basic but clean, well used colors

there is little in the way of shading, just some basic stuff on the roofs and such, but it immediately produces a clean, easily readable image for the readers

I know the Asterix comics invest more time/effort than the average newspaper comic can, which makes sense given they are released in album form, but I still find it interesting how an artist known for his very detailed scenery work (sadly I have a hard time finding more of it scanned online) still doesn't need to go crazy with colors to produce a strong image

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:42 pm

Here's something that stuck with me from Bill Amend's "FoxTrot". This strip takes place outside at night:

This always stuck with me. The use of silhouettes, solid black sky, and two different colors to indicate the characters and the background.

I ended up using something similar with "Fuzzy Princess" few weeks ago. It's not exactly like the "FoxTrot" example above, but the foundation's the same:

(artistically, I'm honestly kind of proud of this page).

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:45 pm

yeah that's deffo a good way to use limited colors to still really express something and set a mood/scene, which you absolutely did

do that kinda thing more often imo, more consideration for your colors and such, it really helps kick up your aesthetic

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:51 pm

I color nearly all my digital pictures, but there's a few I've left in black and white. Usually they're the ones I do if I'm making it for the sake of a joke and thus need to get it out quickly, while the situation that inspired the joke is still relevant on the forums/Discord/wherever. My coloring process is far from involved (bucket fills of most colors, zoom in to make sure the edges of lines are colored in well, then manually draw smaller colored areas) but it does take extra time that might not always be so necessary to spend.

Still, there are situations where colors help disambiguate parts of an image. Take my most recent picture, this one of ToastGhost's ponysona:
Fizzbuzz wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:25 pm
After I posted it I was doing my usual process of going over it to make note of everything I felt I could improve on in the future and in the first panel, I wondered if I'd done a good enough job drawing the front part of her hair. Since it's mostly behind her head, at this angle I felt only that curved-up bit would be visible, but with the way I also have her pointing at the calendar I wondered if that could possibly look at all like she had her left foreleg raised up as well. Color would've easily distinguished between her hair and coat, but the main lesson I took away from this was that it's better to draw something that's clearer in the first place than to rely on additional elements like color for that purpose.

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:56 pm

I hope I don't come off as half-assing on coloring my own comic. :-I Anyone who watches my stream will know that, often times, I overthink them, constantly going back and redoing colors on pages I already finished. It's always the most hair-pulling, frustrating process of doing comics, hence why I advocate being efficient with them.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:05 pm

Mr. Big wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:56 pm
I hope I don't come off as half-assing on coloring my own comic. :-I Anyone who watches my stream will know that, often times, I overthink them, constantly going back and redoing colors on pages I already finished. It's always the most hair-pulling, frustrating process of doing comics, hence why I advocate being efficient with them.
I certainly don't think you half-ass anything, I just do think that it's sometimes noticable that you don't enjoy coloring and I think when you push your comfort zone there a bit it's really a net plus for both your confidence with colors and the work you produce

like I said, that night time comic for example is simple yet effective and I quite like it! instead of beating yourself up about colors, approach it as something fun to do, IMO messing around with colors without the pressure of "this just needs to be done NOW" once in a while can be wonderful for improving one's view on coloring as less of a chore and more of another layer of how to tell your story and improve moods

you do fine work for what you need, don't take that the wrong way, but I hope you find some more joy in coloring at least from the point of how you can use it to tell your stories and less of a frustrating experience

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:08 pm

basically, efficiency does not equal half-assery, but efficiency also implies you achieve fine results without spending too much time/energy, and I think any artist benefits from improving their understanding of boths parts of that (both the understanding and skill in use of colors as well as the streamlining of the process)

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:44 am

btw y'all are indeed wonderful and you deserve this cat

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:35 pm

You are wonderful as well :vogue: (and that cat is sweet :allears: )

I made a thread about some efficiency tips for coloring on Twitter, for what its worth:

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:53 pm

thank you for the thread! lotsa perspectives to have is A+