ITT Post Your Random Thoughts

Come on in, come to the place where fun never ends. (Shenanigans!)

Moderator: Fizzbuzz

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Re: ITT Post Your Random Thoughts

Post by Madeline (?) » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:39 pm

This is what hit #1 on the charts in 1978 and compelled 2 million people to shell out for the single

This is what was actually popular in America in the 1970s

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:50 pm

My response to Bill Maher

(yes, caricatures are not my strong point) :-I

Bigdog
implied

Post by Bigdog (?) » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:57 pm

does he have two noses or is that a really big upper lip or what's going on here

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:01 am

It's just a Simpsons-like upper lip.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:22 am

Mr. Big wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:50 pm

It works for me :v: :lol:

It’s not like anybody cares or should care what I read, so I feel silly about bringing it up. It comes off as the same kind of name-dropping Maher does. :flutterdear:

His rant is also kind of insulting to people who make good movies today. I’m sure the makers of Moonlight would really appreciate hearing that their movie doesn’t exist because superhero movies are popular. “Superheroes are popular, no good movies are being made anymore, sorry about that Oscar but we’re taking it back.” :rolleyes: Big splashy tent pole movies have existed since the movies were invented, and they’ll still be a thing after everyone forgets about superheroes, because people like and sometimes need their escapism. People in the Great Depression liked the movies for that reason. Everyone knew things were shit. They didn’t need to be constantly reminded of how miserable things were on a 24/7/365 basis.

How hard is it to just let people enjoy the things they like? I may have made fun of The Love Boat but if that’s what you need to get you through the day, binge watch that shit. Like, it’s good to be a critical audience and think about what you enjoy. But you can do that without ceaselessly hating everything or being an elitist snob (or a bigoted anti-vaxxer jackass).

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:29 am

As I get older, I've come to hate those contrarian assholes who hate everything for the sake of it. I stopped talking to certain people because it was getting on my nerves.

And you're fine, Maddie. You make good analysis about stuff! :party:

Princess Flufflebutt
Nya
Stare Masters

Post by Princess Flufflebutt (?) » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:42 am

Maddie, your words are good. I love reading them.

Perrydotto
Agents of Chaos

Post by Perrydotto (?) » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:22 am

Don't tell yourself to shut up, Madeline. It's not appropriate or deserved. I'm glad you post.

Also Love Boat is silly as heck and anyone hating on it in earnest is lame.
Image /// Image /// Image

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Dropping tears does not always mean the sadness.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:03 am

I have Atlanta Nights on my bookshelf get on my level
:snoop: Image :snoop:

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:17 pm

I enjoy shows like "Bob's Burgers", which is often dismissed by a lot of animation snobs.

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:43 pm

Mr. Big wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:50 pm

What if, instead of a person marked as a bowel movement, it was a bowel movement marked as a person?
ImageImageImage

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:00 pm

Something I've been wondering, are the copyright dates in movies and show still written in roman numerals these days? I notice that I don't see that on newer shows as of late.

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:27 pm

Mr. Big wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:00 pm
Something I've been wondering, are the copyright dates in movies and show still written in roman numerals these days? I notice that I don't see that on newer shows as of late.
Disney uses Roman numerals for the copyright date as seen in the title cards for the modern Disney shorts. Here's the newest one, for example:

Look closely at the bottom left.

SlateSlabrock
Celestia's Champions
Patreon platinum

Post by SlateSlabrock (?) » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:07 am

Just peeking at recent movies I have lying around, it seems to be falling out of favor.

edit: the most recent one I can find is Aeon Flux. :shepspike:

Last edited by SlateSlabrock on Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:20 am

Perrydotto wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:22 am
Don't tell yourself to shut up, Madeline. It's not appropriate or deserved. I'm glad you post.

Also Love Boat is silly as heck and anyone hating on it in earnest is lame.
I am a hypocrite, because I called it “garbage” on the previous page. I’m just as negative as he is.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Dropping tears does not always mean the sadness.
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Orange Fluffy Sheep (?) » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:58 am

Madeline wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:20 am
I am a hypocrite, because I called it “garbage” on the previous page. I’m just as negative as he is.
I think the smug condescending asshole part of Bill Maher is the part that makes him reprehensible.
:snoop: Image :snoop:

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:24 am

Orange Fluffy Sheep wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:58 am
I think the smug condescending asshole part of Bill Maher is the part that makes him reprehensible.
This :spike101:

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:26 am

SlateSlabrock wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:07 am
Just peeking at recent movies I have lying around, it seems to be falling out of favor.

edit: the most recent one I can find is Aeon Flux. :shepspike:

Yeah, I noticed I don't see it as much anymore. I think some live programs still use roman numerals, but that's it.

With "Mickey Mouse", they're deliberately trying to mimic the title cards in the old shorts, so I can see why they use roman numerals. They have other stuff common on old films, too, like the MPAA logo (which is just a Mickey Mouse logo in this version) and the "Harmonic Mercurivision" logo, referencing the Canadian studio that animates the shorts.

In the end credits, they use regular numbers for copyrights.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:46 pm

Orange Fluffy Sheep wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:58 am
I can’t argue with that, because it’s true.

minty

Post by minty (?) » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:55 pm

He's just mad because everyone likes Spider-Man more than him.

stonecutter

Post by stonecutter (?) » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:18 pm

Madeline wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:39 pm
This is what hit #1 on the charts in 1978 and compelled 2 million people to shell out for the single

This is what was actually popular in America in the 1970s
It was actually 1976. I was five at the time, but I don't really remember hearing this song back then. The radio stations down here were more likely to play Cepillin than Rick Dees, though.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:30 am

stonecutter wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:18 pm
It was actually 1976. I was five at the time, but I don't really remember hearing this song back then. The radio stations down here were more likely to play Cepillin than Rick Dees, though.
Whoops :v: That’ll learn me to trust Wikipedia. I was born at the end of ‘76 and I don’t remember much of anything from before I was 4 or 5. The only DJ I could recognize as a kid was Casey Kasem, because he was Shaggy on Scooby Doo. :-I One of my old music instructors grew up along the border, though, and he still plays in a Tejano band. He’s a great guy, really nice, and he was one of my favorite instructors.

Edit: I am a complete bonehead. Here is a giant picture to show that I either can’t tell an 8 from a 6 or that I need to brush up on my reading comprehension.

Yeah, it wasn’t Wikipedia in the wrong. It was me. Sorry, Wikipedia (and everyone else :hilarious: )

Pocket
everything's a little bit weird now

Post by Pocket (?) » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:17 am

For more on how corny music in 1976 was, Todd in the Shadows did a whole video about it.

Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:48 am

I only discovered his channel a couple weeks ago and I love him.

And I love how much he loves badass 1970s rock.
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Auxiliatrix

Post by Auxiliatrix (?) » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:48 pm

Madeline wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:30 am
I didn't know the grand "Disco Duck" story needed two parts to be told. Surely there isn't enough material to justify one song, let alone two.

(Though, now that I think about it, they probably had two parts either because they made the original too long, or because they got lazy and needed another song for the single. :pinkieshrug: )

Life in one image. Interpret as you wish.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:49 pm

Reminds me of when I was a kid and had a 45 of "Little Toot" (based on the picture book about the tugboat, or maybe it was the other way around?). The two sides had, basically, just different versions of the song. Not different arrangements, not sung by different people, and not two completely different melodies or sets of lyrics that told the same story; the bulk of it was clearly the same song, but they embellished it different ways and they both had different intros with their own melodies and lyrics.

The intro theme to the Commodore 64 game Flash Gordon had a similar thing going on, where it sounds like the composer came up with a main leitmotif but had two different ideas for how the rest should go, and in his indecision decided to just make both versions and have them play back-to-back when you start the game, even though they clocked in at a combined six minutes and this was for a screen you could skip immediately by pressing a key. Didn't even play while the game loaded.

Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of...

Mechanical Ape
Not slim, definitely shady

Post by Mechanical Ape (?) » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:58 pm

I’ve had the musical phrase “We root for Little Toot!” rattling around my brain’s junk drawer since childhood, and I’d forgotten even what the context was. :-I

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:29 am

There’s a simple reason why a lot of old singles had lazy b-sides like “Disco Duck Part 2.” Whoever had a song on the b-side of a massive hit would get just as much in music publishing and record sales royalties as whoever wrote the hit side. Record sales were rarely a musician’s main source of income. You had to be a Michael Jackson or a Bruce Springsteen to sell enough to make good money off of those, and that’s assuming that record labels counted the sales and production costs honestly (they didn’t and don’t today either :-I ). It’s always been about touring and publishing.

Bands had huge fights over it. Unscrupulous producers and executives would claim to have co-written the b-side song just to get an extra piece of the money. In the country and r&b worlds, executives would go even farther and claim to have written the A-side (and a lot of those execs had Mob ties). Or they’d slap a pseudonym into the credits to collect anonymously. Or credit their wives and then take the money. The music industry has always been just as sleazy as Hollywood.

It’s a trick that’s been obsolete for 20 years, since file sharing and then iTunes made it possible for people to just get the song(s) that they wanted. Anyone who wants to hear only one song can just buy or stream that, and anybody who wants more than just the song is probably going to listen to the album anyway.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:54 am

Mechanical Ape wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:58 pm
rattling around my brain’s junk drawer
I love this phrasing.

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:34 am

Pocket wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:17 am
For more on how corny music in 1976 was, Todd in the Shadows did a whole video about it.

Todd’s list is pretty good, except for the Chicago song. That one is dull and bland more than anything. It’s the color beige incarnated as music. It should have been the honorary #11 because the honorary #11 is the one that deserves to have made the list, preferably in the top 5

Just listen to it (but not for too long) :vomitpony: It’s so bad

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:32 am

Wait...that's a cover, right? Not the original?

Because the other version is so, so much better.

Octavia
Octavia's Orchestra
Patreon supporter

Post by Octavia (?) » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:47 am

Madeline wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:29 am
There’s a simple reason why a lot of old singles had lazy b-sides like “Disco Duck Part 2.” Whoever had a song on the b-side of a massive hit would get just as much in music publishing and record sales royalties as whoever wrote the hit side. Record sales were rarely a musician’s main source of income. You had to be a Michael Jackson or a Bruce Springsteen to sell enough to make good money off of those, and that’s assuming that record labels counted the sales and production costs honestly (they didn’t and don’t today either :-I ). It’s always been about touring and publishing.

Bands had huge fights over it. Unscrupulous producers and executives would claim to have co-written the b-side song just to get an extra piece of the money. In the country and r&b worlds, executives would go even farther and claim to have written the A-side (and a lot of those execs had Mob ties). Or they’d slap a pseudonym into the credits to collect anonymously. Or credit their wives and then take the money. The music industry has always been just as sleazy as Hollywood.

It’s a trick that’s been obsolete for 20 years, since file sharing and then iTunes made it possible for people to just get the song(s) that they wanted. Anyone who wants to hear only one song can just buy or stream that, and anybody who wants more than just the song is probably going to listen to the album anyway.
I took a music business class in college and we found out how bands make pretty much nothing from album sales. We calculated that even if your 5-member band's album went gold, meaning it sold 100,000 copies at the absurdly high retail price of $18 per album, each band member would only get about $3,000 from album sales. The real money comes from playing live shows and if you're lucky enough to be the writer of the song, from performance royalties.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:10 am

Octavia wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:47 am
The real money comes from playing live shows and if you're lucky enough to be the writer of the song, from performance royalties.
This is something Gene Roddenberry realized when he was starting up "Star Trek". He hastily wrote the lyrics to the theme music, thus officially making him a co-writer of the song when it got registered and allowing him to collect 50% of the royalties, even though he had no intention of ever having the lyrics officially used in any capacity.

Alexander Courage was NOT pleased. :-I

Mr. Big
いいんですよ
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Mr. Big (?) » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:12 am

Here's the theme song with lyrics, btw:

Madeline
never existed
Semper Pie

Post by Madeline (?) » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:13 pm

Aramek wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:32 am
Wait...that's a cover, right? Not the original?

Because the other version is so, so much better.
Yeah, it’s a cover. This is the original:

Octavia wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:47 am
I took a music business class in college and we found out how bands make pretty much nothing from album sales. We calculated that even if your 5-member band's album went gold, meaning it sold 100,000 copies at the absurdly high retail price of $18 per album, each band member would only get about $3,000 from album sales. The real money comes from playing live shows and if you're lucky enough to be the writer of the song, from performance royalties.
this essay by Steve Albini was a real eye-opener. He points out that an album can sell a quarter of a million copies and each musician in the band will earn about 1/3 of what they would have made working at 7/11 for a year once all the expenses are totaled up.

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:47 pm

Wow, I never knew the original was actually Chuck Berry, that owns.

Pocket

Post by Pocket (?) » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:43 pm

Apparently the latest meme is "They did surgery on a grape" which sounds like some kind of Alex Jones rant.

Jill
it's the super maria sisters super show!!!
Special Flowers

Post by Jill (?) » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:56 am

that's exactly where i assumed the phrase came from

Fizzbuzz
Stare Masters

Post by Fizzbuzz (?) » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:42 am

When's the next meme going to be frogs that were turned gay?

Adiwan
Patreon supporter

Post by Adiwan (?) » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:06 pm

Random thought of the day:
Is there a Lion King themed drink? The best ad would be if it started with "Aaaaaah quench ya!".
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams