Recent relevant characters:
- Lin Beifong - Agreed to take responsibility for the security of the pro-bending championship match. Recent badass, but what will that slimy Tarrlok say after the fiasco with Amon?
- Tenzin - Lately found out to have been romantically involved with Lin Beifong in the past before their differences separated them and he marries Pema.
- The Wolfbats - Winners of the pro-bending tournament by cheating, but Amon took away all their bending powers. Karma, baby.
- Aang - The protagonist, hero, and avatar of the previous series Avatar: The Last Airbender.
- Avatar - A special individual said to embody the world's spirit who possesses the ability to use all four forms of bending at the same time. Only one living person can exist as the avatar each time, and they are said to bring peace and unity to the world.
- Bending - The ability to control and manipulate one of the four elements of the world (earth, fire, wind, water). Each style of bending is mastered through their respective form of martial arts, in which they are based off of real world archetypes.
- Earthbending - Hung Gar
- Metalbending - Chu Gar Southern Praying Mantis, Military/SWAT close-range techniques
- Firebending - Northern Shaolin/Wushu
- Lightning - Northern Shaolin form #2 ("Dragon Shoots Its Whiskers")
- Airbending - Baguazhang
- Waterbending - Tai Chi
- Pro-bending - Boxing/MMA/UFC
- Earthbending - Hung Gar
- Equalists - A rising anti-bending movement in Republic City led by Amon. They claim benders oppress non-benders and spread the message that bending must be eliminated. They resort to clandestine and violent methods to achieve their means. The Equalists use the Chinese character 平, which can mean peace, on the same level, or equal.
- Pro-bending - A popular sport pitting 3-man teams (each a different type of bender not including air) to use strategic bending to ring-out (KO) or push their opponents as far back in marked territories as possible.
- Republic City - A large metropolis founded by Aang and Zuko where they intended benders and non-benders to co-exist in peace. Designs were based off of 1920s Shanghai with elements of steampunk.
Discuss away! Korra is the hot new show and I'll be holding weekly threads for each new episode that comes out. New episodes air every Saturday (just like ponies!) at 11/10am Central on Nickelodeon, so as usual we'll have our house rules on spoiler moratorium (do not spoil in IRC at least until the midnight of the broadcast date in Pacific time). Any speculation on future/upcoming episodes should have the spoiler tag applied. This goes for any info revealed in commercials, sneak previews that did not air along with the end of the latest episode, and articles of any sort. Information on voice actors/actresses being announced for the show do not need to be spoiler tagged. HOWEVER, you SHOULD spoiler tag any information regarding what character role they will be playing. Threads on new episode threads will most likely be made sometime every Friday.
Shipping rules still apply even if this show's target audience is older than MLP. I know romance is bound to happen, and you can totally talk about it, but please do not talk about your OTP with characters not in the show, engage in shipping wars even if it's with characters in-universe, and especially any creepy comments about how you'd like to get with any of the characters. Best to err on the safe side if you have doubts.
Do not ask/talk about how to illegally obtain episodes for this show. My advice is for you to simply get cable at home to watch it or stream it from the Nickelodeon site right here. It's looking like Nick takes 3 days before they upload it on their site, so those depending on the stream should expect it up every Tuesday (not sure how early).
Dogs are also cool.
- Joined: Feb 14, 2011