S2 Spoilers Thread is Dead Like Spike

Where only the shiniest threads are preserved for all to see.
numsOic

Re: Spike Dies: Season 2 Info/Spoilers/Speculation Station

Post by numsOic » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:04 pm

Colton, M.D. wrote:-As much as I'd like an all music episode, I got a feeling it's not gonna happen, at least for S2. But it wouldn't be too much for a show within a show episode with an Opera right?
The main problem with the all-music episode speculation is that Ingram was commissioned for pretty much the same number of songs as in season 1, so either there'd be very few songs the rest of the season or the musical episode is not actually happening.

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:18 pm

Maybe it'll be guest-composed by Weird Al.

(Seriously, I think that rather than Al being tapped to do a voice in S2 as some people have suggested, I think it's more likely that he'll bust out a pony song on his next album.)

Wharrrrrrgarbl

Post by Wharrrrrrgarbl » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:13 pm

As far as Pony not being big enough for feminism and GLBT goes, the two political philosophies are actually very intimately joined: both require major revisions to oppressive gender norms if they're going to achieve their goals. Hostility toward campy gay dudes and bronies is rooted in the same "EW GIRLS" misogyny that shames women for their bodies, devalues traditional "women's work" and work done by women in general, etc.

Which is to say, I don't mind if MLP gets a little more radical.

SoundBlastin'

Post by SoundBlastin' » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:29 pm

Schwaumlaut wrote:As far as Pony not being big enough for feminism and GLBT goes, the two political philosophies are actually very intimately joined: both require major revisions to oppressive gender norms if they're going to achieve their goals. Hostility toward campy gay dudes and bronies is rooted in the same "EW GIRLS" misogyny that shames women for their bodies, devalues traditional "women's work" and work done by women in general, etc.

Which is to say, I don't mind if MLP gets a little more radical.
Can we get our own version of the can of worms emoticon?

Like, spike holding one of those muffins or something?

Whitenoise Poster

Post by Whitenoise Poster » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:56 pm

In tonight Very Special Episode of MLP: FiM, the ponies help the other non-pony people Smash Capitalism.

I mean why else would Gilda and the diamond dogs be such jerks. Clearly they are the result of harmful socioeconomic conditions.

Redeye

Post by Redeye (?) » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:03 pm

I should have made this clear earlier, but I want this line of discussion to stop YESTERDAY. This is a very goddamn big can of worms and if it is persisted in being opened I will flatten the can, by which I analogically mean the thread, and by flatten I mean ship to the Factory Dump.

Whitenoise Poster

Post by Whitenoise Poster » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:25 pm

The Revolution Will Be Ponyized.

Edit: these need to be in season two Image

Look at all that magic.

tdkgunghoul

Post by tdkgunghoul » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:10 am

If X-Play can do a musical episode, then so can :ponydrugs:

DarkMatter

Post by DarkMatter (?) » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:15 am

I too am hoping for a musical episode, but I have a feeling it won't be happening this season. There's always season three, assuming it gets picked up for one. I could see Twilight casting some spell that goes wrong and makes everyone sing whenever they speak.

A silent episode would also be pretty awesome and I'd be interested to see what they could do with that. But that's something I doubt will ever happen. WALL-E was a critically praised film (and for good reason) but, from what I hear, it wasn't too popular with kids. The lack of dialogue made them find it "boring". I could see Hasbro not going with a 20 minute silent cartoon in fear kids attention spans wouldn't be able to handle it.

An episode starring Derpy, Carrot Top, Lyra, Bon-Bon, Berry Punch, and Colgate as a Pony B-Team would be amazing and I'd love for it to happen. And maybe it would lead to Hasbro finally making toys of those characters. Of course, Colgate would need a new name.

brightman

Post by brightman » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:03 am

Silent cartoons boring? Did you ever watch Tom and Jerry? Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote? Granted given these examples it would involve a lot of cartoon violence, so maybe it really wouldn't work with ponies.

Oderlan

Post by Oderlan » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:23 am

Also aren't those cartoons usually around 8 minutes long? An action filled eight minute cartoon is probably easier to swallow than a 22 minute show.

Maple Leaf

Post by Maple Leaf » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:24 am

brightman wrote:Silent cartoons boring? Did you ever watch Tom and Jerry? Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote? Granted given these examples it would involve a lot of cartoon violence, so maybe it really wouldn't work with ponies.
Different variations of dropping anvils on Twilight for 20 minutes.

BartonFink

Post by BartonFink (?) » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:02 pm

We're getting roughly the same amount of songs as in season one. Woo. :cheese:

Master_Twig

Post by Master_Twig » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:38 pm

I dont care how many songs there are as long as one of them is a Rainbow Dash solo song. :rainbert:

Colton, M.D.

Post by Colton, M.D. » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:39 pm

Didn't he say sometime ago that he made 30 songs in total (including theme song), so there would be about 13 or so songs left? If that's so, hopefully they're a big longer in length (and the revised theme song doesn't count).
Master_Twig wrote:I dont care how many songs there are as long as one of them is a Rainbow Dash Celestia solo song.
Fixed that for ya.

Dong Strongly
What I am now
Patreon supporter

Post by Dong Strongly (?) » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:51 pm

Colton, M.D. wrote:
Fixed that for ya.
No :butwhy: Rainbow Dash has had 2 singing parts in the series so far. Both parts are definitely in my top 3 favorite singing parts for the series, and I wouldn't hesitate to put her Gala solo in my top 10 musical moments from anything :awesomedash: We need a dedicated Rainbow Dash song. We are worse off for not having one.

I'm not saying a Celestia song would be bad, but how did you come to that conclusion?
Thicc like molasses thx 4 askin
:sweetielarm: Image :sweetielarm:

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:10 pm

Dong Strongly wrote: No :butwhy: Rainbow Dash has had 2 singing parts in the series so far. Both parts are definitely in my top 3 favorite singing parts for the series, and I wouldn't hesitate to put her Gala solo in my top 10 musical moments from anything :awesomedash:
It gets stuck in my head daily.

Colton, M.D.

Post by Colton, M.D. » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:44 pm

Dong Strongly wrote: No :butwhy: Rainbow Dash has had 2 singing parts in the series so far. Both parts are definitely in my top 3 favorite singing parts for the series, and I wouldn't hesitate to put her Gala solo in my top 10 musical moments from anything :awesomedash: We need a dedicated Rainbow Dash song. We are worse off for not having one.

I'm not saying a Celestia song would be bad, but how did you come to that conclusion?
I'm always interested in hearing more of the cast sing. Plus, I can imagine Ingram pulling out all the stops for the Princess.

In terms of who needs a dedicated song, I'd nominate Applejack. Poor girl needs something at this point.

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:05 pm

Picturing AJ singing: It starts with her usual half-sing twang, but then, full vibrato operatic, almost dropping character totally. (It is hard to sing in character.)

Like in Avenue Q, "The More you Ruv Someone", where Christmas Eve really goes all out.
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Kanthulhu

Post by Kanthulhu » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:27 pm

Dunno, I don't get a singing vibe from RD. Too girly for her, I'd say.

Also, I wonder if that Owl- what's-its-name is ever going to show up again.

Shotgunbadger

Post by Shotgunbadger (?) » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:34 pm

Aramek wrote:Picturing AJ singing: It starts with her usual half-sing twang, but then, full vibrato operatic, almost dropping character totally. (It is hard to sing in character.)

Like in Avenue Q, "The More you Ruv Someone", where Christmas Eve really goes all out.
That'd be pretty great, yea, especially if it was some kinda competing duet with Rarity or something.

Pyrovile

Post by Pyrovile » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:04 pm

Kanthulhu wrote:Dunno, I don't get a singing vibe from RD. Too girly for her, I'd say.
Yeah, to me Rainbow Dash seems like a character that only sings to join in with everyone else. I can't really think of a scenario where she would sing a solo song and it wouldn't feel out of character.

SirTopHat

Post by SirTopHat » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:35 pm

A Rainbow Dash solo song would be great

Ponder

Post by Ponder » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:58 pm

Dash might sing by herself at some point, but I can only picture her doing so after making sure there's no one around that could hear her.

counterfeitsaint

Post by counterfeitsaint » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:11 pm

Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo singing as she teaches Scoots to fly! I love Dashies (speaking) voice, so more songs from here would be good. Maybe Celestia and Luna can have a song about sisterhood and family? Or they could sing together with Applejack and Applebloom singing together as well or something.
I know Scoots is usually all :nngh: ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww
But I bet she'll make an exception for Dash.

mochabean
Semper Pie

Post by mochabean (?) » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:17 pm

counterfeitsaint wrote:I know Scoots is usually all :nngh: ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww
And supposedly her VA has a very good singing voice. It'd be nice to actually hear it. :3:

Numerosix

Post by Numerosix » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:18 pm

counterfeitsaint wrote:Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo singing as she teaches Scoots to fly! I love Dashies (speaking) voice, so more songs from here would be good. Maybe Celestia and Luna can have a song about sisterhood and family? Or they could sing together with Applejack and Applebloom singing together as well or something.
I know Scoots is usually all :nngh: ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww
She wouldn't mind to sing a wicked rock song.

BartonFink

Post by BartonFink (?) » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:26 pm

PonderSketch wrote:Dash might sing by herself at some point, but I can only picture her doing so after making sure there's no one around that could hear her.
I simultaneously think this is on-point for the character but I kinda hope this happens anyway. Because yeah, Dash is kind of awesome in her songs.

Colton MD: Ingram gave an interview in which he ID'd ~30 songs between s1 and s2. Depending on your definition of song s1 has about 15; so yeah, this basically confirms we're getting about an equal amount. Cool by me.

Throbulator

Post by Throbulator » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:44 am

I wouldn't bat an eye if Rainbow Dash did a Freddy Mercury.

Walkin Goon

Post by Walkin Goon » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:07 am

Throbulator wrote:I wouldn't bat an eye if Rainbow Dash did a Freddy Mercury.
A sudden mental image of Dash singing a rock-opera, with the CMC's providing backup vocals and instruments.
"I, am the champion, my friends!"
:v:
Please, someone make this happen. :nngh:

Cuckoo

Post by Cuckoo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:00 am

Am I the only one not impressed with Rainbow Dash's singing voice? I mean everyone on the show that's had a singing role is at least decent (and usually amazing) but Rainbow Dash doesn't seem to have much vibrato. Her voice acting is otherwise awesome, I'm just not feeling the singing.

Example: particularly towards the end at the final "Gala".

EDIT Huh, I didn't know she did Applejack too! Applejack's singing part seems much neater also, I can see how it would be difficult to sing two entirely different voices especially a more tomboyish one in the same pitch.

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:12 am

Dash's bit is the best because guitars.

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:25 am

Ashleigh Ball (Dash/Applejack) is one of the few VAs who's actually a singer too. She's got a band:

The Doctor
Turner Of All Things Timey Wimey
Celestia's Champions
Patreon supporter

Post by The Doctor (?) » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:30 am

I want to see more episodes based on old Star Trek episodes. "Swarm of the Century" was fantastic.

Cuckoo

Post by Cuckoo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:43 am

Headless Horse wrote:Ashleigh Ball (Dash/Applejack) is one of the few VAs who's actually a singer too. She's got a band:

Holy crap that's a nice singing voice! A lot of cartoon VAs from what I've seen do have at least some singing talent. I guess since a lot of cartoons have a token musical episode or characters singing parody songs it makes sense.

Now if you REALLY want to hear a terrible cartoon horse song: (I love The Last Unicorn but good god that voice :vomitpony: )

Big Boss
A tourist trap that can surpass Mystery Shack?
Rarity's Roughnecks

Post by Big Boss (?) » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:45 am

On the original soundtrack they have the version where Katie Irving sings the song. Too bad you can't get it in the United States without jumping through a lot of hoops. :fluttersmith:

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:55 am

Cuckoo wrote: Holy crap that's a nice singing voice! A lot of cartoon VAs from what I've seen do have at least some singing talent. I guess since a lot of cartoons have a token musical episode or characters singing parody songs it makes sense.
True. I should have said "one of the few VAs in this show". If you're in the pro VA line you pretty much have to sing at least a little bit--just sometimes your singing voice doesn't quite sound like that character singing, for whatever reason, so they have to recast you for the songs. Hell, Matthew Broderick is enjoying a successful leading-man Broadway career, but that didn't mean he got to voice singing Simba.

I do love the fact that the VA for Apple Bloom (Michelle Creber) does Sweetie Belle's singing voice as well as her own; she'll be a force to be reckoned with if she stays in the biz.
:ohboy:

Cuckoo

Post by Cuckoo » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:04 am

Found Katie's version of Now That I'm a Woman on Youtube and the difference is night and day. It's a shame too, because the music behind it is a complicated but beautiful arrangement (Like pretty much every song in that movie) and I'm sure if her singing wasn't that bad it would have been high on everyone's list of memorable cartoon songs.

Also seconding the love for Sweetie Belle. With that voice, If she stopped being a cartoon VA she could kick ass on Broadway.

Vivianinatoga
Semper Pie

Post by Vivianinatoga (?) » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:17 pm

Throbulator wrote:I wouldn't bat an eye if Rainbow Dash did a Freddy Mercury.
Came out of the closet? I thought that was better left unaddressed. :3:
ImageImageImage

Daionus The 23rd

Post by Daionus The 23rd » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:57 am

How the Weird Al episode will probably go: