S2 Spoilers Thread is Dead Like Spike

Where only the shiniest threads are preserved for all to see.
Aurora

Re: Spike Dies: Season 2 Info/Spoilers/Speculation Station

Post by Aurora » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:16 pm

Davyinatoga wrote: Came out of the closet? I thought that was better left unaddressed. :3:
Booo. :rainbert:

Blarghalt
Gaze into the Abyss, until the Abyss awkwardly comes up with a reason to leave.
Patreon platinum

Post by Blarghalt (?) » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:15 pm

Let's not go down that road, thank you.

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Your brain is about 20% tumor.
Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:22 pm

New prediction: Twilight asks Spike if he is drunk, but we then find out that Spike is actually dead.

:facehoof:
Image There was a link here, it's dead now and I'm sad.

Femto

Post by Femto » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:23 pm

You sissies aren't going far enough with this. We don't need to address a few namby-pamby issues every now and again. We need to spend every episode tackling as many issues as we can find, prepare these pre-pubescant girls for the real world. Death, drugs, racial issues, slavery, genocide, we're gonna make this colourful afterschool cartoon into The Wire meets Breaking Bad meets Drakengard! Let's run this shit into the ground! :butwhy:

But seriously, the show's focus is on education on friendship and social interactions (it is in the title, after all), and what little I know about literary theory says to me that it would be very much in the shows best interest to stick to that theme, then end after three seasons or so before it gets stale. Any real attempt to swerve into stuff like death or sexual identity or really heavy moral lessons like that is just going to be jarring and alienating for everyone involved. It's just a bad idea all around, and since Hasbro wouldn't let that fly anyway, I'm going to throw my vote in with the large corporation for once in my life.

E:
Casual Viewing wrote:
Dude, don't even joke. I would watch whatever bastard hybrid you get from mixing MLP and Cavia so hard.

:ohboy: : A friendship that crushes like a mace!
No thanks, Cavia was always a bit to heavy on the -philias even on its own. Much as I think Yoko Taro is a major diamond in the rough (I LOVE NieR), I like this show because of the absence of sexual shit (not that the awful, awful fanbase* surrounding this program will leave well enough alone :ohrarity: ).

* Except you guys. You guys are rad.
Last edited by Femto on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scuderia
Tired,
but
Strong
Fashion Queens

Post by Scuderia (?) » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:35 pm

Simple plot with lots of comedy potential:

Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie are probably very good friends.
Fluttershy and Rarity are also very good friends.
But, Rarity and Pinkie Pie are worlds apart.

So Fluttershy is in the middle of a friendship triangle that she can never solve.

:rariwhat: :flutterdear: :pinkieshrug:

Moral of the story: It's totally ok to do different things with different groups of friends.

e: and as much of an airhead as we're led to believe Pinkie is, she already intuitively knows the moral of the story while Rarity is too stuck up to realize it :ohrarity:
Last edited by Scuderia on Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:38 pm

Femto wrote: But seriously, the show's focus is on education on friendship and social interactions (it is in the title, after all), and what little I know about literary theory says to me that it would be very much in the shows best interest to stick to that theme, then end after three seasons or so before it gets stale. Any real attempt to swerve into stuff like death or sexual identity or really heavy moral lessons like that is just going to be jarring and alienating for everyone involved. It's just a bad idea all around, and since Hasbro wouldn't let that fly anyway, I'm going to throw my vote in with the large corporation for once in my life.
I like the cut of your jib. Unfortunately, that (altogether likely) prediction means that this thread is pretty much pointless (at least as far the speculation goes), because all that can actually happen for real will be the kind of day-to-day slice-of-life sitcom plots that don't have a lot of deep significance in the long run, making them rather empty things to speculate about.

"Pinkie Pie suspects that her friends are avoiding her and her parties. But it turns out they had a secret plan of their own all along!"

Kinda flaccid without the details of execution and unexpected comedy that make that sort of thing really come to life, and which we can't guess at blindly. (And which we'd ruin if we did.)

Big-ticket world-changing plots are much easier to discuss in forums, so that's kinda naturally what's happening. :pinkieshrug:

^^^ Yeah see, that could be great! If they do it right. And we can't really know at this point, even if we heard that was one of the plots on the slate.

Vulin

Post by Vulin (?) » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:17 pm

There are generally some relationships between characters they did not really flesh out in season one, like Pinkie Pie and Rarity. There is next to no information on what those two think about each other. Another example would be Rainbow Dash and Rarity or Applejack and Fluttershy.

Maybe we get some more episodes like Look Before You Sleep or Fallweather Friends, where those things get a little bit more attention.

Casual Viewing

Post by Casual Viewing » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:35 pm

Femto wrote:Drakengard! :butwhy:
Dude, don't even joke. I would watch whatever bastard hybrid you get from mixing MLP and Cavia so hard.

:ohboy: : A friendship that crushes like a mace!

BartonFink

Post by BartonFink (?) » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:20 pm

Scuderia Ferrarity wrote:Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie are probably very good friends.
Fluttershy and Rarity are also very good friends.
But, Rarity and Pinkie Pie are worlds apart.
This but Rainbow Dash instead of Pinkie Pie. We get a small amount in Swarm, that's about it.

Twilight's had interaction with just about everyone, but there's still some dynamics that need to play out:
WE'VE SEEN:
Applejack/Rainbow Dash - given a lot of time in both Fall Weather Friends and Over a Barrel
Applejack/Rarity - is the focus of Look Before You Sleep
Fluttershy/Rainbow Dash - a bunch of backstory in Cutie Mark Chronicles, bunch of interaction in Sonic Rainboom
Fluttershy/Rarity - focus of Green Isn't Your Color, get a nice scene in Stare Master and Suited for Success
Pinkie Pie/Rainbow Dash - a good portion of Griffon the Brush Off, a good portion of Over a Barrel, seem to pop up together a lot

NOT AS MUCH OF:
Applejack/Fluttershy - minimal, a little bit in Applebuck, a little bit in Dragonshy, a little bit in Pinkie Keen, Kill Bill face-off in Party of One
Applejack/Pinkie Pie - baking sequence in Applebuck
Fluttershy/Pinkie Pie - surprisingly little; :glomp: in Over a Barrel, a bit in Griffon
Pinkie Pie/Rarity - despite my earlier comment, they haven't been granted much time either
Rainbow Dash/Rarity - see above; I guess they get a bit in Sonic Rainboom but it's mainly plot oriented and a little bit in Swarm of the Century

Obviously I'm simplifying/forgetting a bit.

brightman

Post by brightman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:01 pm

I want an episode where some odd object is found and the ponies all try to figure out what it's for and they all find different uses for it. They all want it and start to fight over it. It then turns out to be something Princess Celestia "misplaced" that has a really mundane purpose. Perhaps one of them decides to throw it off the edge of the Earth Equestria to get rid of the thing that's causing so much trouble.

In the follow up episode one of the ponies runs into a Honey Badger.

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:39 pm

You must never go near a watape tree.

They grab you.

Scuderia
Tired,
but
Strong
Fashion Queens

Post by Scuderia (?) » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:45 pm

brightman wrote: In the follow up episode one of the ponies runs into a Honey Badger.
:v: Lucky for us, there's nothing to worry about!

:facehoof:

r.t.

Post by r.t. » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:17 pm

brightman wrote:I want an episode where some odd object is found and the ponies all try to figure out what it's for and they all find different uses for it. They all want it and start to fight over it. It then turns out to be something Princess Celestia "misplaced" that has a really mundane purpose. Perhaps one of them decides to throw it off the edge of the Earth Equestria to get rid of the thing that's causing so much trouble.

In the follow up episode one of the ponies runs into a Honey Badger.
:facehoof: All the gods in this country are CRA-ZY!

Pretentious Goon

Post by Pretentious Goon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:45 am

There will be an extremely meta episode where they all have to pick their favorite pony, everyone will pick someone else except for rainbow dash who will pick herself and twilight who wont be able to decide.

Scuderia
Tired,
but
Strong
Fashion Queens

Post by Scuderia (?) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:05 am

:ohgawd: "I did not approve of this episode's premise."

Davyinatoga wrote: Came out of the closet? I thought that was better left unaddressed. :3:
:ohrarity: : I came out of your closet, and frankly, I'd rather be undressed.

Weird Autumn
Party with the kids who wanna party with you
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:08 am

I'm willing to bet that Dash's closet is completely empty except for her gala dress, her WWU vest, and a hand-made replica Wonderbolt uniform.

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:27 am

And that one giant hat that Rarity insisted that she keep.

Aramek
Your MRI results have shown total infection to now be approximately one fifth of the full mass of the tissue.

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:57 am

And not even on the shelf, that hat's on the floor.

:starity: "..."
:v: "What? The floor's just the lowest shelf!"

counterfeitsaint

Post by counterfeitsaint » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:20 pm

Aramek wrote:And not even on the shelf, that hat's on the floor.

:starity: "..."
:v: "What? The floor's just the lowest shelf!"
I totally read that in Dashie's voice. :3: There needs to be a whole episode where the mane 6 (maybe some others) just hang out in Dashie's awesome house, maybe annoying her by going through her stuff.

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:40 pm

Rarity keeps trying to talk about the kickass Mount Olympus themed decor and furniture, which Dash clearly didn't do herself; the only thing she's added to the ambience since she moved in is juice bottles and magazines and Wonderbolt posters.

It's like a Greek goddess' dorm room.

mochabean
Semper Pie

Post by mochabean (?) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:46 pm

Headless Horse wrote:Rarity keeps trying to talk about the kickass Mount Olympus themed decor and furniture, which Dash clearly didn't do herself; the only thing she's added to the ambience since she moved in is juice bottles and magazines and Wonderbolt posters.

It's like a Greek goddess' dorm room.
I was about to say - Dash is the eternal college dropout bachelorette. :iamapony:

Her coffee table is just a used rainbow spool that she swiped from the cloud factory, and the "decor" consists of half-empty pizza boxes bearing penicillin-laden foodstuffs.

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:48 pm

I mean, hell, she sleeps on a couch.

It's an ornate neoclassical couch with Ionic scrollwork, but a couch nonetheless.

:v: "Wow! I have mustard?!"

Damn:
MochaBean wrote: Her coffee table is just a used rainbow spool that she swiped from the cloud factory
That should be a thread title or something. What a great microcosm of why this show is awesome.

Scuderia
Tired,
but
Strong
Fashion Queens

Post by Scuderia (?) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:04 pm

What, like completely fantastic: like spooled rainbows,
yet utterly mundane: penniless college student decor - cinderblocks and discarded two by fours?

Image Get lost Gilda Griffon! Think you're too cool for my friends?
:v: Oh no! I need another roommate! I can't pay this rent on my own! I'm gonna get evicted! Flut-
:nnngh: Oh my gosh what's that smell?!! I mean, um, I wouldn't want to spoil the great friendship we already have. Maybe somepony else?
Image Oh all right.

brakeless

Post by brakeless » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:19 pm

RD probably does cleaning by pulling open parts of her floor and letting it all fall to the winds.

:v: Dammit. Why do I keep forgetting that the table's over there now.

Aramek

"So you're saying..."

Rarity's Roughnecks
Patreon supporter

Post by Aramek (?) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:00 pm

See how nice Cloudsdale was? Even with the construction? Maybe clouds just can't get dirty? So, any and all clutter Dash creates just falls through after a bit of time!

mochabean
Semper Pie

Post by mochabean (?) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:22 pm

Dash will find a way to make it dirty.

Just like racing, power napping, and academic ineptitude, it is one of her life's callings.

Frosthawk
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Frosthawk (?) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:08 pm

I want to see Dash playing some guitar. How? I don't know! But it NEEDS TO HAPPEN :applejargh:

Artificer

Post by Artificer (?) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:52 pm

The Doctor wrote:I want to see more episodes based on old Star Trek episodes. "Swarm of the Century" was fantastic.
How old? Can you imagine a pony "Sacrifice of Angels?"

:starity:

Not sure if want.

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:57 pm

Or a pony Spock's Brain.

...Well I guess that's just A Dog and Pony Show.

Westy543
RIP old forums

Post by Westy543 (?) » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:56 pm

Gingerale posted this in IRC. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v134/ ... t=lv09.mp4

Princess Celestia is ANGRY, shit's about to get real.

Maybe somebody gassed the palace (hence the coughing in the background). Yeah said pony/person is pretty much spending 1000 years on the moon.

Weird Autumn
Faithful Students

Post by Weird Autumn (?) » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:11 pm

Why do I get the feeling that as soon as episode descriptions start showing up we're going to look at every single one and go "hey maybe this is the one with angry Celestia" until that clip actually shows up?

I'm guessing it's Luna-related, although I seem to recall Faust hinting that there'd be more of an overarching plot or recurring villain or something in season 2 and I'm kind of hoping it'll have something to do with that.

Casual Viewing

Post by Casual Viewing » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:36 pm

Twilight goes full-out Phoenix, as foreshadowed in Chronicles, and the rest have to put an end to her.

Aurora

Post by Aurora » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:55 pm

I CAN'T CONTROL IT

e: fuck if only x-23 and phoenix's voice actors were switched Image
Last edited by Aurora on Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Casual Viewing

Post by Casual Viewing » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:56 pm

Westy543 wrote:Gingerale posted this in IRC. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v134/ ... t=lv09.mp4
Didn't realize this was a video, but after watching it, I think it's a fake-out. Celestia is opening a door of some sort, and the ponies are wincing while she has a big serious face. Obviously something important/dangerous/suspenseful is on the other side of that door, but from the camera angle we aren't allowed to see what that something is until after the most dramatic part when the ominous door is finally opened. So I bet everything that that scene is preceded by a bunch of build-up, and the payoff is something harmless. Cue laugh-track.

If I had to speculate further, I'd predict that it's Luna on the other side. Celestia invites them all to Canterlot with news that Princess Luna is returning, and the ponies being the idiots that they are assume that she's Nightmare Moon again and that she coming to attack. They hole up in the castle, intent on protecting Celestia, when there's a bunch of booming thunder and terrifying crashes as Luna makes her arrival. As the pounding music reaches a climax, the ponies flinch as Celestia opens the door with a serious face (for the audience's sake only), and in trots in a tiny smiling Luna for a happy reunion. Ponies have egg on their face. Again.

Casual Viewing

Post by Casual Viewing » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:00 pm

Wait, no, they are definitely coughing. Disregard the above (unless it's somehow correct, in which case HA).

It's probably a super ancient storage closet holding powerful artifacts/history.

Scuderia
Tired,
but
Strong
Fashion Queens

Post by Scuderia (?) » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:24 pm

Casual Viewing wrote: It's probably a super ancient storage closet holding powerful artifacts/history.
It's a refrigerator containing a bowl of Spike's world famous Holy Guacamole that had been forgotten for a while.
This is why the other ponies are coughing, and as it's grown quite formidable, it's up to Celestia to deal with it.

Image Fly, you fools!

Headless Horse

Post by Headless Horse (?) » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:40 pm

OpposingFarce wrote: I'm guessing it's Luna-related, although I seem to recall Faust hinting that there'd be more of an overarching plot or recurring villain or something in season 2 and I'm kind of hoping it'll have something to do with that.
Considering one thing and another and recent toy introductions, I think the answer is obvious.

Did you not recall the legend? Did you not see the signs?

The new arch-villain is Minty.

Throbulator

Post by Throbulator » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:55 pm

Oh my, the first scraps of new material! Let's overanalyze this and forget about the ponyless summer!

Twilight charging up for something. She's probably going to read books.

I can't put a finger on the location. Anyone want to give a stab what the thing on the wall is supposed to be?

Books!

Moving on to the Celestia clip.

Clearly something is bothering the ponies. Celestia plays it cool.

Again, have we seen this place before?

20% cooler, but where's Rainbow Dash and Twilight?

The painted glass window looks nice.

E: Decided to gif the two clips.

Last edited by Throbulator on Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frosthawk
Scootaloo's Pro Scooters

Post by Frosthawk (?) » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:01 pm

Is it possible they have a new show-opener this season? Something tells me that at least the Twilight clip may be from something like that.